Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Surprised so many votes for Osimhen, he's only had 1 season at this level of productivity in a much worse league than PL

Kane is a no-brainer, his game isn't reliant on pace. He has excellent movement and ability to bring him teammate into the play. Even if he cost us £100m, it's worth trying.

Mainoldo

Surprised so many votes for Osimhen, he's only had 1 season at this level of productivity in a much worse league than PL

Kane is a no-brainer, his game isn't reliant on pace. He has excellent movement and ability to bring him teammate into the play. Even if he cost us £100m, it's worth trying.
Wouldn’t worry about it. 6 years ago we did a similar thing with Lacazette. Guess who was second favourite then too.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Kane has proven himself time and time again in the PL - and with a not very good side. No idea what we'd get with Osimhen. It might work, it might not.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Wouldn’t worry about it. 6 years ago we did a similar thing with Lacazette. Guess who was second favourite then too.
My memory is so fuzzy that you have to refresh it. Who were strikers we were looking at, and who were Cafs favorite?

I remember Morata threads too, folks were certain he'd be a world beater.

croadyman

Looking at all reports so far who do people think is Erik's preferred choice?

aeh1991

Wouldn't mind both. Osimhen looks like the better long term signing.

RedRover

Kane for me. Absolute no brainer. He'd score bucket loads of goals and makes us title contenders. His age is obviously a factor but if we want success then you need the best player you can get and for me, that's Kane.

Osimhen looks a good player but I'm suspicious of players from Serie A and how well they'd adapt to the PL given it is by far the better league.

Scholsey2004

I think Kane despite being older and slower fits our shape a lot better than Osimhen. Tactically you can use him very like we use Weghorst with Rashford breaking off him. Im not sure Osimhen and Rashford would combine as well.

Steve 007

Kane can win us the league next year, he’d have had a hat trick yesterday. We’d have to go out and replace him in 2-3 years though. He’d have a RVP influence.
Having said that 100 million for 3 years (32 by then). Is not value for money, we couldn’t set up much competition for him as shown at spurs because no decent striker wants to sit in the bench. Victor is clearly going to be a top tier player if he’s not already there, he’s much younger than Kane but there’s no guarantee he’d do it in the PL.

Head says Kane but I want to see what Victor can do in the PL. I’ll take either.

croadyman

I think get Kane now, Osimhen in a couple of years. What is Osimhen’s contract situation? Assuming he has a few years left on it Napoli will want all the money in the world for him this summer, Kane will cost less and even if we wait a year or 2 to try get Osimhen he still won’t have reached his prime by that time.
IF that was possible then great but my gut feeling is Osmihen won't still be on the market in a couple of years. Mind you neither will Kane be allowed to leave on free next summer if Osimhen comes now

NoPace

Looking at all reports so far who do people think is Erik's preferred choice?
My guess would be Kane. Great link up play, hungry to win stuff, another stabilizing presence and Ten Hag might figure the money in 3-4 years will be there anyways when Kane presumably will need to be replaced (and maybe be a Sheringham style backup who can still play well off the bench due to strength and quality and smarts).

If it's Osimhen, my guess it would be because Ten Hag wants to push teams deeper against us so we have more space to create in midfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is really really tough one. I am doing pros and cons for weeks and still can't decide.
With Kane we are getting maybe best classic no9 in the world. He is better (now at least) striker than Osimhen. Proven scorer who will not need any time to adapt. He will bang goals from day one.
On the other hand, Kane will be 30 this summer. Usually i don't think that being 30 is an issue but buying 30y old striker after he spent whole career in PL can become a potential problem.
Osimhen has that issue about technique (i don't think that his technique and first touch is something special) and who knows how he will adapt on PL. Other than that i think that Osimhen is a beast.

My opinion was that Osimhen is a way smarter buy BUT if our goal is to attack PL next year we shouldn't take any risk. Lets go for proven solution. So changing my mind and voting for Kane.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not sure Kane-Bruno will be an optimal fit together.

But perhaps it could work.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Kane despite being older and slower fits our shape a lot better than Osimhen. Tactically you can use him very like we use Weghorst with Rashford breaking off him. Im not sure Osimhen and Rashford would combine as well.
The issue with ‘like Weghorst’ is that I see at least 3 situations every game where our players would have a relatively straightforward pass through to Weghorst and he’d be in with a chance, but because it’s him, they hold it and spread it.

There are other situations where the ball is actually played and it is clear as day that while the defender got there first against Weghorst, he wasn’t really favourite and another striker with strength and speed beats him. I don’t want to repeat that after Wout goes.

Primex

With osimhen we get two outlets,make teams go deeper,press more agressively and he hardly gets bullied.... he's like the far upgraded version of Nunez (if we signed him,we would still pretty much still be competing for the league).
For all the transition talks,what if Kane also ends up like Alexis Sanchez,am sure he too was a safe bet.
We create much as a team,what we need is someone to share the goalscoring burden with rashford, making us less predictable.
That been said I'm happy with any of them.

croadyman

That is a very valid point,however on the other hand Osimhen fans will say Kane gets in Bruno’s way. Personally I don't think it's as cut and dried as the poll suggests.

Wish we could get Kane now and still be able to pick up Osimhen in next couple of years but that's just not remotely realistic. Bit like @Andycoleno9 I am feeling very torn too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wouldn't put much stock in which of the two we're said to favour at this point.

As with Casemiro & De Jong last summer, they're two wildly different players who would both successfully lift the team up a level. Which we end up with will likely depend on how negotiations progress more than initial preference, as we would likely both have to and be able to adjust to either tactically.

I'd be more interested to know two what extent the two obvious candidates are ahead of the rest of the field, such as Goncalo Ramos or the likes.

Pass and Move

I voted a little while ago for Osimhen, but to be honest, I have a lot of faith in ETH to make the right choice for the team he's trying to build. Either option would necessitate very different tactics from the entire team so I think the discussion of Kane vs Osimhen is kind of redundant, and we should focus more on what sort of number 9 we want in general.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I voted a little while ago for Osimhen, but to be honest, I have a lot of faith in ETH to make the right choice for the team he's trying to build. Either option would necessitate very different tactics from the entire team so I think the discussion of Kane vs Osimhen is kind of redundant, and we should focus more on what sort of number 9 we want in general.
I don’t have any huge faith in Ten Hag in the transfer market as such. His transfer history has long been questionable, and he has seen fit for us to use one of our limited big financial slots to sign Antony, who looks bang average (to put it kindly), although he still has time on his side.

He’s a great coach, but by all accounts, not a transfer guru at all.

Pass and Move

I don’t have any huge faith in Ten Hag in the transfer market as such. His transfer history has long been questionable, and he has seen fit for us to use one of our limited big financial slots to sign Antony, who looks bang average (to put it kindly), although he still has time on his side.

None of us has any idea how much involvement ETH has had in any of our transfers. It could well be that he simply said yes in principle to Anthony because there were no other options for the right wing on the table. He probably had nothing to do with the price we ended up paying.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
None of us has any idea how much involvement ETH has had in any of our transfers. It could well be that he simply said yes in principle to Anthony because there were no other options for the right wing on the table. He probably had nothing to do with the price we ended up paying.
Antony was pursued throughout the window by all accounts, and there were reports before ETH even joined that he intended to take him to his next club. I think it’s quite a stretch to imply that a pursuit of Antony was not Ten Hag’s idea pretty much on the basis that I can’t prove it. They worked together for two years prior.

He obviously didn’t set the price, but we agreed to pay whatever price because Ten Hag wanted the player above any other option clearly. Anyway, it is still early and improvement is possible.

JuriM

Oshimen would be a 125m € or more signing for anyone that would go for him in the summer. Not ideal, seeing we still need to sign a high quality midfielder.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Finding players that fit his tactical needs comparatively to what the squad lacks he's been good with. Financial part is another matter. That's where the club should be able to tell him "out of price range, here's option 2/3/4". That's what the Antony issue is.

croadyman

Oshimen would be a 125m € or more signing for anyone that would go for him in the summer. Not ideal, seeing we still need to sign a high quality midfielder.
Would rather go and get Rabiot on a free IF that's what it takes to secure him this summer

Long Time Red

Is anyone else a little uncomfortable spending so much on one player?

Very few strikers end up living up to the big price tag and all it takes is one bad injury and we're without our number one striker for 6 months.

Given the reported £100-120m price tags couldn't be we get Jonathan David and Goncalo Ramos for more or less that price?

croadyman

Is anyone else a little uncomfortable spending so much on one player?

Very few strikers end up living up to the big price tag and all it takes is one bad injury and we're without our number one striker for 6 months.

Given the reported £100-120m price tags couldn't be we get Jonathan David and Goncalo Ramos for more or less that price?
Only uncomfortable if our owners stay the same

croadyman

Looking at this thread it seems biggest concerns

with Osimhen

How he adapts to league
His technique
How he dovetails with Rashford

with Kane

His age (is he declining fast or slow)
Will he get in Bruno’s way
Lack of pace

There is no doubt this isn’t an easy decision if both are obtainable,still edging towards Osimhen as see someone who could grow further under Erik's coaching.

On the other hand there is also a small part of me who wants to see Kane alongside winners like Rapha & Casa and England teammates in Shaw and Rashford.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

Antony was pursued throughout the window by all accounts, and there were reports before ETH even joined that he intended to take him to his next club. I think it’s quite a stretch to imply that a pursuit of Antony was not Ten Hag’s idea pretty much on the basis that I can’t prove it. They worked together for two years prior.

He obviously didn’t set the price, but we agreed to pay whatever price because Ten Hag wanted the player above any other option clearly. Anyway, it is still early and improvement is possible.
At Ajax, he assisted numerous goals by swinging in a left footed cross from deep, which bends towards goal and just needs a touch to go in. With a striker like Osimhen or Kane, they would get a sack full of goals from Antony's crosses.

astracrazy

Signing Kane feels like it would be an extremely expensive van Persie type signing. Great for the here and now, but we will be back to this position in 3 years time. If we are going to spend £100M+ (total package) on a striker then Osimhen has to be the better fit overall and perhaps the more sensible option.

Pavl3n

That is a very valid point,however on the other hand Osimhen fans will say Kane gets in Bruno’s way. Personally I don't think it's as cut and dried as the poll suggests.

Wish we could get Kane now and still be able to pick up Osimhen in next couple of years but that's just not remotely realistic. Bit like @Andycoleno9 I am feeling very torn too.
I am also a supporter of that opinion - Kane in place of Wout and Rashford up top is what we need.
But I just don't see how Kane and Bruno can get in each others way. We've seen Bruno starting to drop a little more in recent times and I think he can form a formidable partnership with Kane.