Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RVN1991

You all are fecking blind or nuts or both
Yeah crazy how people rate the guy who's probably going to finish as England's and the Premier leagues' all time leading scorer. Blind clueless idiots the lot of us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Problem with Osimhen is playing alongside Rashford, they wouldn't get the best out of each other. You'd just be adjusting where our main run in behind threat comes from more than anything. Kane would be able to play with Rashford like he does with Son, get the best out of each other. He'd hold up, link up, play others in behind but also be the goal threat with the box movement that compliments Rashfords.
He plays ok with Kvaradona. He is very adaptable, Rashford would find it even easier IMHO

Borussia Teeth

Players around 30 are in their peak years and today's players usually play longer, we have lots of young players anyway, Kane is a proven PL goalscorer, he's less of a risk and pretty much guarantees 20 or so goals a season, players from abroad don't always always adapt to the English game are therefore a bigger risk
As I stated in my original post: look at Liverpool! No more over 30s please.

Mainoldo

Sorry that's not my point when they started their careers, I'm not comparing them like for like. I'm talking about the fans not wanting to see an old striker in general.
I get that but the season for this is because of what they have witnessed. All I’m saying is there are reasons for what we had witnessed.

Kane doesn’t have these problems. He had concern ankle injuries but that’s gone away.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He plays ok with Kvaradona. He is very adaptable, Rashford would find it even easier IMHO
Kvara is a winger and not a wide forward who gives that big off the ball/run in behind threat! He is quality and is a creator... Rashford is at his best when he has the freedom to be the wide forward and run in behind threat, in addition to some creativity. Osimhen and him would clash in that regard. It wouldn't fail necessarily but I don't think that both of them would be at their best. It's like adding a midfielder and pointing out their goals because they score 10 pens a season when you already have an elite penalty taker. Just moving who scores those goals to someone else rather than adding to the group. Osimhen would be a good signing (think he's had some injury struggles), but I don't think that him and Rashford would get the best out of each other, and Rashford would have to make adjustments and take on more of a creator role which he isn't as good at. His current role he has genuinely elite potential, don't think he has that in the other role and in that scenario, someone like Sancho would probably fit better.

mav_9me

What I wrote elsewhere:

Depends on where we are as a team. If we are able to improve our possession football, Kane would be excellent. Like for ex if our football improved to kinda like Arsenal, where we keep the ball, press etc then he would be excellent. If however we are not there yet and we are sometimes going to play like yesterday, Osihmen would be better.

kouroux

Kvara is a winger and not a wide forward who gives that big off the ball/run in behind threat! He is quality and is a creator... Rashford is at his best when he has the freedom to be the wide forward and run in behind threat, in addition to some creativity. Osimhen and him would clash in that regard. It wouldn't fail necessarily but I don't think that both of them would be at their best. It's like adding a midfielder and pointing out their goals because they score 10 pens a season when you already have an elite penalty taker. Just moving who scores those goals to someone else rather than adding to the group. Osimhen would be a good signing (think he's had some injury struggles), but I don't think that him and Rashford would get the best out of each other, and Rashford would have to make adjustments and take on more of a creator role which he isn't as good at. His current role he has genuinely elite potential, don't think he has that in the other role and in that scenario, someone like Sancho would probably fit better.
The margin between a winger and a wide forward is not that large at all. His current form isn't sustainable long term IMHO

Bondi77

I would have Toney over Osimhen as he is a better player and is already doing it in the Premier League

WirralRed

That makes sense. So we have players who are at there peak so let’s get a striker who probably needs two years so when he’s fully functional he can operate with our peak players who might not be in their peak anymore.

Makes totally sense.
Of course it makes sense, unless you want to have to completely rebuild the core of the team. And we are talking about another striker who is 24, not exactly a kid.

Ananke

Kane is perfect for how we play. Also, the guy is turning 30 this summer it’s not like he’s there yet. He’s more than proven in the premier league, and his play style doesn’t rely on pace (so forget the age).

He fits us like a glove.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would have Toney over Osimhen as he is a better player and is already doing it in the Premier League
The idea that Toney is better than Osimhen is actual madness. And he has a long ban hanging over his head on top of that.

bosnian_red

The margin between a winger and a wide forward is not that large at all. His current form isn't sustainable long term IMHO
Eh it's big enough. Kvara stays wider and takes on more creator, on the ball roles rather then being an off the ball/goal threat. If you have a wide forward like Salah, you can't toss a poacher in up top like Haaland with him and expect it to click. If you have the poacher, you probably want proper wingers/creators on the wings. So then it's a question of can Rashford be that wide creator. Osimhen is class, but it's a key position for us that will determine what level we can actually reach. Get it right and we can be what Liverpool was like with Klopp for a few years. Get it wrong and while the player still might not be a bad signing, it might not gel perfectly and we might not reach the level where we are the favourites to win it all.

Mainoldo

Of course it makes sense, unless you want to have to completely rebuild the core of the team. And we are talking about another striker who is 24, not exactly a kid.
24 but not yet the level of an elite.

It doesn’t make sense because we have enough young players already. Are we starting another Ole 3 year project. :lol:

Next year we compete for the league. We need players for that. Not the next two years.

New starting striker. New CM and then one or two squad players.

Kag

I like the idea of a younger striker, but Kane is more or less perfect for Ten Hag and this team. We’ve got plenty of youth in that front line as it is.

Also, since when do Napoli sell?

kouroux

Eh it's big enough. Kvara stays wider and takes on more creator, on the ball roles rather then being an off the ball/goal threat. If you have a wide forward like Salah, you can't toss a poacher in up top like Haaland with him and expect it to click. If you have the poacher, you probably want proper wingers/creators on the wings. So then it's a question of can Rashford be that wide creator. Osimhen is class, but it's a key position for us that will determine what level we can actually reach. Get it right and we can be what Liverpool was like with Klopp for a few years. Get it wrong and while the player still might not be a bad signing, it might not gel perfectly and we might not reach the level where we are the favourites to win it all.
I meant in terms of general position for Rashford /Osimhen. Osimhen can play up top on his own or with a player closer to him just like at Lille.
I think when you have good players of that level, it gives you more options than problems. He is so complete and adaptable that there ain't a scenario for me where he hinders Rashford negatively

Laurencio

It doesn’t make sense because we have enough young players already. Are we starting another Ole 3 year project. :lol:

Next year we compete for the league. We need players for that. Not the next two years.

Honestly the longevity of Osimhen and Kane is probably not all that different. Kane doesn't rely on pace or physical explosiveness, but Osimhen does. While Kane will likely keep going until his mid 30s, Osimhen will take a drop in performance before he hits 30 - simply because of how he plays. Regardless of which one we bring in, we likely need a new striker in 3 - 5 years anyway.

Vapor trail

As I stated in my original post: look at Liverpool! No more over 30s please.
Good objective observation, United need to build a team important to keep the age profile right. A choice between Osimhen and Kane I wouldn't take the latter. Better player but doesn't represent value long term. Your buying a depreciating asset and most notably there's no guarantee of how long or immediate his decline will be.

bosnian_red

I meant in terms of general position for Rashford /Osimhen. Osimhen can play up top on his own or with a player closer to him just like at Lille.
I think when you have good players of that level, it gives you more options than problems. He is so complete and adaptable that there ain't a scenario for me where he hinders Rashford negatively
Fair! Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy to get him, I just think we would be at a higher level with a Kane/Benzema/Lewandowski style (if quality is the same between the 2 styles). But like you say, it'd be good to have both capable of taking on those roles so we aren't reliant on one or the other. Goes to the question of is it better to have 2 players capable of offering a similar threat, even if one has to adapt their game a bit, or just have a group who meshes perfectly with each other but if one goes down, you aren't able to cover for the qualities that they provided while they were there. Think in one off games, it is better to have it all mesh perfectly, while over a season it is better to have the guys where 1 might have to adapt now and then but you aren't fecked if one or the other goes down.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good objective observation, United need to build a team important to keep the age profile right. A choice between Osimhen and Kane I wouldn't take the latter. Better player but doesn't represent value long term. Your buying a depreciating asset and most notably there's no guarantee of how long or immediate his decline will be.
Depends on the price too tbf.

RVP arrived here younger than Kane would and still only had one top class season. But having cost £24m-ish the negative impact of his quick decline was somewhat minimised. If Kane was available for a reasonable fee with one year on his contract then the argument for that short-term focus is somewhat better

Irrational.

Both clubs are a nightmare to deal with, with their completely ridiculous demands, but Kane would be the more realistic/ gettable.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Kane obviously. He’s probably the most complete number 9 in the world and has had 9 seasons in a row where he has scored more league goals than Osimhen’s current best season in his career of 14, despite playing in a far tougher league and for a relatively weaker team.

If we lose out on Kane for some reason though, I’d happily go for Osimhen. There’s a lot more risk when he’s currently having his first genuinely top class season and he will be over-priced but he’s definitely got a lot of qualities that will work for us.
Kane is not the most complete 9 in the world

Valencia Shin Crosses

What I wrote elsewhere:

Depends on where we are as a team. If we are able to improve our possession football, Kane would be excellent. Like for ex if our football improved to kinda like Arsenal, where we keep the ball, press etc then he would be excellent. If however we are not there yet and we are sometimes going to play like yesterday, Osihmen would be better.
Except Kane isn't good for any sort of pressing style a team might want to do. His main attribute these days is dropping very deep to play those huge balls on the counter to Son, and arriving in the box after.

El Jefe

Kane is perfect for how we play. Also, the guy is turning 30 this summer it’s not like he’s there yet. He’s more than proven in the premier league, and his play style doesn’t rely on pace (so forget the age).

He fits us like a glove.
Fits us like a glove? He can't move off the ball and is probably the easiest top striker to mark. Just shut out his ability to get on the half turn and pick out a pass and he's completely nullified.

Spurs play completely to his strengths, we play nothing like them. We have Bruno and Eriksen in the middle so have no need for him to be a playmaker as much as he is for Spurs. He's still a very good finisher but we need a young and energetic player up front.

WirralRed

Have to agree to disagree about not looking elite, he’s out scoring every striker in the world in the league since his return from injury. I take the point that the Italian league isn’t the strongest.

min my opinion he is ready to hit the ground running.
mid take Kane as well no doubt but my original point was simply pointing out its not as ridiculous as some make out to choose the younger option over Kane.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Let's sign young and hungry players.

RVN1991

I'd go for Osimhen. Kane is too old. We have enough players in and around their 30s already. Just look at Liverpool; most of their starting 11 have got old at the same time and now they need a whole new team.

If Osimhen is too expensive, then we need to sign a young striker with a similar profile.
Since when is 29 old? Also Casemiro has been our best signing in a decade and he's older than Kane is. This isn't 2003, players stay on top of their game a lot longer now than they did in decades past, look at Benzema FFS, you're telling me you wouldn't take him at 29 knowing how he's aged?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Since when is 29 old? Also Casemiro has been our best signing in a decade and he's older than Kane is. This isn't 2003, players stay on top of their game a lot longer now than they did in decades past, look at Benzema FFS, you're telling me you wouldn't take him at 29 knowing how he's aged?
age isnt important, but body is.

Kane already is slowing down, he's had numerous ankle injuries. He will always score goals but I think it'll end up being another Cristiano situation.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Osimhen no doubt. He's still not my ideal striker as he's decent but not a brilliant technician, but he reminds me of Nunez without the donkey characteristics and better finishing. Very quick, strong as an ox, tireless running, good movement, willingness to play with his back to goal.

Kane simply doesn't have the legs to play how we want from the front, and he seems to have developed some Rooney syndrome of dropping deeper and deeper for the ball as he's gotten older because he can't play on the shoulder of CB's. Now if we could get him for a cut rate price then by all means, but we all know Levy is going to want 80m minimum which just isn't worth it for me. He should have moved 3 years ago

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we finish top 4 and Spurs don't then they lose some bargaining power for sure.

Kane would be great for us. Not a striker that is reliant on pace, not injury prone, PL proven and is a really good passer of the ball too. He'd be perfect for us and improve us ten fold.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Kane would get more out of our other attackers and be a threat in the box. No brainer he’s better.

Edit: That said I do like Osimhen I’m just thinking who do we win a league with sooner.

Last edited:

M Bison

Supports
York City
Gone for Kane but I can absolutely see the argument in favour of Osimhen. Just hope it’s a choice between them at the end of the season and not a make-shift loan.

Welbeckham

I’m not sure we should splash the cash on either of them. Obviously they are the most obvious options right now, but both are super expensive when you consider the risks involved. We could go for a cheaper punt like Terem Moffi and then possibly get Kane for free later on.

Ananke

He can't move off the ball and is probably the easiest top striker to mark. Just shut out his ability to get on the half turn and pick out a pass and he's completely nullified.

Spurs play completely to his strengths, we play nothing like them. We have Bruno and Eriksen in the middle so have no need for him to be a playmaker as much as he is for Spurs. He's still a very good finisher but we need a young and energetic player up front.
Sure if you say so.