OT EVACUATED | Device signed as having been recovered, could NOT be detected by sniffer dogs

Rory 7

How are any of us surprised by this? The supposed 'security' staff checking punters going into the ground all year are a joke. Not criticising those kids but if they are representative of the type of 'security' the club employs I'm sad to say we'd all be better off policing ourselves.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Lets just say that if today was a genuine bomb threat and they did want to cover it up, i couldn't have thought up a better story myself to end the fear and panic it could cause.

It is definitely in all parties interests to not publicise a genuine bomb threat at Old Trafford. Plus, if ISIS were behind it, for example, they wouldn't want them to get the media exposure that they would have wanted.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
How are any of us surprised by this? The supposed 'security' staff checking punters going into the ground all year are a joke. Not criticising those kids but if they are representative of the type of 'security' the club employs I'm sad to say we'd all be better off policing ourselves.
Agreed. It was very thorough the first game after the Paris attacks but since then the pat downs are a slight tickle under the arms and away you go.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The individual responsible should be dealt with by that company, i've said that repeatedly.
To be honest you can't pin this one on just one person. Unlike what seems to be the consensus here, I think the situation was dealt with terribly. Of course they'll evacuate when they see something suspicious, nothing about that shows special handling of the situation. What's terrible is though:

1- The "bomb" was there for four days, and nobody discovered it.

2- They even let all the fans in before they "discovered it".

3- They failed miserably to identify what it was, even though they planted it there themselves (talking about the security as a collective system to deal with attacks). That was really poor when it comes to communication/collecting information. Did they really neutralize it by a controlled explosion in the end as well??

4- The original training failed miserably, and "one person fecked up" only cements the fact that the whole training failed as whole. How can you not know how many "bombs" you planted and where they are? In these situations you can't blame one guy for the whole feck up. Where is the other team who check and double check everything?

If this was a real attack we'd be looking at a tragedy here. The only positive that could come out of this probably is exposing this incompetence so everybody gets their sh*t together before something really bad happens.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Some strange reaction to what can only be very, very good news. Good because this confirms that on this occasion, Old Trafford was not the subject of attempted terrorism or a very malicious hoax, and that the 'device' was not snuck through match day security.

The idea that the club should be embarrassed today, when in reality they discovered the 'device', albeit when fans were already in the ground, were presented with what was at face value a legitimate bomb threat and handled it excellently by all accounts. The responsibility absolutely must be on the external company who, thanks to the nature of their business, must account for all of their equipment when they leave.

Honesty, I'm just very relieved that it wasn't in reality anything malicious, because for a while it really looked like it could have been.

Reactions: Grinner

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Lets just say that if today was a genuine bomb threat and they did want to cover it up, i couldn't have thought up a better story myself to end the fear and panic it could cause.

It is definitely in all parties interests to not publicise a genuine bomb threat at Old Trafford. Plus, if ISIS were behind it, for example, they wouldn't want them to get the media exposure that they would have wanted.
On the other hand the authorities would want to share the information with other agencies and clubs to step up awareness and security, Which then means the real story would soon be leaked.

Then if the culprits were arrested oops there goes the story.

Or if ISIS decided to blow the story....

JustAFan

But they don't have to make it public. I doubt they make all their Intel public.
This isn't Intel in your example it was a real terror attack attempt.

But wee are getting way off topic. A fake bomb left by the security company would be a story that would be easily blown and serve no real purpose. It's not like ISIS are not in the news everyday.

Last edited:

izec

12 pages since i last visited, knew something bad happened. Some posts on here are absolutely hilarious, great entertainment :lol:

Lets sack the cnut and announce Mourinho and Zlatan please, we need to get away from bad coverage and show some positive news.

ralphie88

Any link or a bit more context to this story about Moses?
He's a lucky chap. Will now get the rematch and the cup final! As for who is responsible for his appearance... look no further than Shane Bluck, formerly of this parish.

And good news all round - refunds for all ticket holders for today and free entry to the rescheduled game. I reckon that will cost around £3m. And then of course there will be the travel costs for the Bournemouth fans and various other compensation payable. Probably a £5-10m mistake when all is said and done.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
On the other hand the authorities would want to share the information with other agencies and clubs to step up awareness and security, Which then means the real story would soon be leaked.

Then if the culprits were arrested oops there goes the story.

Or if ISIS decided to blow the story....
You're talking as if they tell us everything. They may make an arrest but they don't have to say it had anything to do with today. It'd be 'man involved with several terror plots' or something along those lines, as we usually get. They could quite easily cover up today's events now if they were genuine. ISIS won't claim a failed attack, if it was them.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Can you imagine the dope's face when it occurred to him what was happening was his fault?!
This is interesting. How the fook did this happen ?

How many fake bombs do we have ?

Five.

How many did we put out ?

Six .

Aahhhh. feck it it's fake anyway. :lol:

JustAFan

You're talking as if they tell us everything. They may make an arrest but they don't have to say it had anything to do with today. It'd be 'man involved with several terror plots' or something along those lines, as we usually get. They could quite easily cover up today's events now if they were genuine. ISIS won't claim a failed attack, if it was them.
That would work real well at the trial.....amazing how easy it is to poke holes in stupidity just by actually thinking.

ISIS could use it then to embarrass UK authorities . I mean if we are going to imagine people behaving stupidly might as well go full out.

There is zero reason for a cover up, if you just sit and think about it.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Surely a photo of the "device" was sent around to numerous people so a call could be made what to do with it? Beyond belief that it was not spotted that it was a fake from a test run.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Certainly the media are blaming us for not finding it.
And the media are right, a venue like Old Trafford should be checked at least once a day. At least someone as anxious as I am, would recommend it.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Weird that it didn't occur to anyone "hey, we had that training exercise on Tuesday, maybe this bomb that is in the exact same place as the training one and looks exactly the same as the training one is one of the training ones"

El Zoido

We could never keep it secret.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Now is the perfect time to sack LVG.

It will take all the media attention off todays shenanigans and on to LVG him self.

Oh, and this fake bomb was obviously his fault.

hobbers

People don't seem to be getting the fact that the stewards who found it, and those who subsequently saw it, were almost certainly not present during a police dog training exercise 4 days ago.

Also, if you assume that the police and their contractors do their jobs properly, even if you find a similar-looking device in a similar place, you can't immediately discount it as a training prop unless the company responsible tells you ahead of time that they fecked up, what the prop looks like and where it's located. Obviously that didn't happen.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
"Remember Alan?"

"Alan? Oh yeah, the guy who worked in security here."

"Yeah, decent guy. Shame about that mistake."

"Yeah, what's he doing these days?"

"Got a new stewards job."

"Whereabouts?"

"Nigeria."

stevoc

Obviously Van Gaal stopped the plot like an action movie.

He fought his way through countless terrorists and managed to defuse the device 1 second before detonation.

Die Hard: Old Trafford. Coming to a cinema near you.
Die Hard 6: A Philosophy of Violence

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Even though it's an external company that left it, I don't see how the club can be absolved of blame at all. It's on them to make sure the stadium is safe for entry.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even though it's an external company that left it, I don't see how the club can be absolved of blame at all. It's on them to make sure the stadium is safe for entry.
I just feel sorry for the guy whose mobile phone was used for the exercise.

"You think I can use the sim card to transfer stuff onto my new phone?"

"Eh...maybe. We'll see."

Rory 7

The club can't be absolved of blame. I know some on here are laughing at this but as the so called 'biggest club in the world', the very least you can expect is that our owners pay to properly secure the ground. This incident today is totally unacceptable and symptomatic of a much much deeper malaise at United.

m1tch

What an absolute shambles. It's astonishing how incompetent people can be. Wonder who's pocket the cost of this will come out of? I guess against failure to qualify for the champions league it's not much, nor against the loss of adidas money if we get a repeat next year, but it'd not be an insignificant amount.