Our best central midfield pairing?

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Of all (assuming they are fit) fit options to choose from;

Carrick, Jones, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs, Cleverly, Park, Gibson plus Rooney perhaps? And not forgetting academy / reserves.

Assuming a 4-4-2, I have most liked the Carrick - Jones combination in recent matches in the absence of Cleverly but now perhaps Jones and Scholes might be most productive, though I don't know that Scholes can last more than 45 min?

My first pick would be Carrick or Cleverly with Jones and Scholes as the sub option.

Your number one choice would be???

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Carrick and Cleverley. Jones as the 3rd midfielder if we play 4-5-1.

Ekeke

Best combinations so far this season have been Cleverley and Anderson as well as more recently Carrick and Jones. Unsurprisingly these were also the combinations we were using when we were picking up lots of points.

Dion

Carrick and Cleverley (although they've barely played together, they've been the standouts).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Carrick-Jones-Cleverley will be the future in my opinion, Carrick-Giggs took us to the Champions League final and handed us the Premier League last season. I would love to see Scholes as deep lying play maker and Jones-Giggs and someone else defending him.

Number 1 choice to see us dominate would be Carrick-Jones-Cleverley.
Number 1 choice against a midfield centric team would be Giggs-Carrick-Jones.
Number 1 choice against a wing based team would be Giggs-Carrick.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
For people who want Carrick-Jones-Cleverley, are you guys suggesting leaving Berba, Hernandez and Welbeck on the bench with Rooney playing up top?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
For people who want Carrick-Jones-Cleverley, are you guys suggesting leaving Berba, Hernandez and Welbeck on the bench with Rooney playing up top?
Yup, indeed. Some games may require it, because Rooney does not offer the same in midfield that any of those 3 do.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Carrick and Cleverley has the makings of an excellent partnership. Both are tactically aware and comfortable in possession. Carrick offers the defence good security and Cleverley uses the ball quickly and sharply. Basically as close as we can get to recreating the Scholes-Carrick partnership of 06/07. Our other centre midfield options (with the obvious exception of Scholes) do not keep the ball well enough imo.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Carrick and Jones was starting to look a good combo to me - perfect fit of cultured Carrick and bulldog Jones - shame that injuries broke up the partnership, I hope we see it again.

nemanja15

Cleverley-Carrick
Cleverley-Anderson
Carrick-Scholes
Carrick-Giggs

With no Fletcher on the scene it is probably one of those four in a 4-4-2.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Based on the performances you'd have to say it's Cleverley and Anderson

A 3 of Cleverley, Carrick and Jones though I feel would have a real chance of beating anyone, Carrick starting attacks from the back, Jones going box to box and Cleverley for the decisive final pass. Would love us to start with those against Arsenal in a couple of weeks (Shame Cleverley wont be fit though)

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Am I the only one who fears that Cleverley is being hyped up way above his level because of the apparent correlation between our dip in form with his injury?

Im not denying that he was a bit of a revelation early this season, but its not as if he personally pulled the strings, assisted all the goals and was the main man in midfield all the time. He was part of a team where everyone played well. Anderson was also part of that exellent run of games, and hes gone severely off the boil since then.

Carrick Giggs for me. They complement each other very well.

I would really like to see Carrick - Cleverley as well though, just saying that we dont really have that many games to base the "Cleverley is our best creative midfielder" talk on.

Some games, a Carrick and any 2 of Cleverley, Giggs, Jones and Ando trio will also be needed against tough opponents, but at the moment our best attacking play really seems to be with Rooney and Welbeck playing together up top, so finding a good duo that we could play together consistently week in week out would be great. Giggs cant do that for obvious reasons, but he and Clev could rotate.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's worth remembering that Anderson and Welbeck were as much part of our lovely passing interplay in the first few weeks as Cleverley and Rooney. Cleverley and Welbeck in particular had a good understanding.

If it was 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 I'd go Carrick-Anderson-Cleverley. Jones is not at that level in terms of interpassing.

EDIT whoops, missed your post Decotron

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It's worth remembering that Anderson and Welbeck were as much part of our lovely passing interplay in the first few weeks as Cleverley and Rooney. Cleverley and Welbeck in particular had a good understanding.

If it was 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 I'd go Carrick-Anderson-Cleverley. Jones is not at that level in terms of interpassing.
Yes, better balance too with a left footer in a midfield 3.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cleverley-Carrick-Anderson
Potentially I agree. Nani and Young wide, Rooney up top on his own and Welbeck and Hernandez offering game changing tactical options from the bench.