Our Corners/Freekicks

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I've been analysing these over a few games. I don't see United players attacking the ball with any conviction except Vidic.

When was the last time a United striker scored a goal directly form a corner?

Sort it out coaches.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Liverpool is a distant memory mate. ;)
TBH I don't even remember a lot of todays game, was too busy with my Welcome back Wayne banner and screaming everytime he ran down the touchline.

We really do miss out on about 5-10 goals a season with the way we take our set pieces. Nani/Evra combo at Villa last week would have been fantastic if we had had anyone capable of reading it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What was Rooneys reception like? Missed the game today but I'm at OT next week for Blackburn. I'm still unsure as to what I'll do if and when they announce his name.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We should make this discussion a sticky thread.

No one is good at taking corners.

No one is good at taking free-kicks.

Only Vidic is a thread in the box. I'm pretty sure Paul Scholes is always the closest one to head the ball after Vidic. He's got his positioning right but unfortunately lacks the necessary skills to take advantage of that.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
What was Rooneys reception like? Missed the game today but I'm at OT next week for Blackburn. I'm still unsure as to what I'll do if and when they announce his name.
Mostly fine. Some groans and boos.

Amir

The direct FKs are the worse problem. We still get the odd goal from a corner. All we get from direct FKs is Nani giving the keeper the ball.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
From corners or 'corner-like' freekicks, it's either teams have learnt how to defend against us or we have no luck at all. You certainly need some luck to benefit from corners. Bad defending from opposition can also come into this category. And their keepers have to be a bit dodgy and bad at going from crosses from corners. We did get some luck for Berba's, Owen's and Vidic's goals.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
From where I was sat, I can hear lots of cheering, some booing (very little though) but a lot too just didnt know how to react.

WireRed

Our corners in particular are a disgrace to the occupation "Professional Footballer". If professional's who train and practice every day can only beat the first man once every other month, what's the point?

We might aswell forfeit corners as goal-kicks, at least then we'd not get caught with our pants down on the break.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was commenting on this during the match to my mate. Not seen United so shit in these areas for a long time. Dangerously placed free kicks are being persistently wasted, and corners are very hit and miss, with most of them failing to beat the first man.

Really don't get it.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Was commenting on this during the match to my mate. Not seen United so shit in these areas for a long time. Dangerously placed free kicks are being persistently wasted, and corners are very hit and miss, with most of them failing to beat the first man.

Really don't get it.
That one in the first half, literally on the line to the side of the 18yard box.... Should result in either a great defensive clearance or a save no matter if its from a shot or header. Nani decides to pass it along the floor to their fecking centre back. I'm all for creativity but when we have statues in the middle it's pointless.

Devil may care

The direct FKs are the worse problem. We still get the odd goal from a corner. All we get from direct FKs is Nani giving the keeper the ball.
Agreed, when was the last time we scored from a direct free-kick? I'm thinking it was Giggs against Spurs last season at White Hart Lane.

SATA

Teams usually have their 2 big centre-backs going up for set-pieces. Only Vidic goes up for ours while Rio stays back presumbly to protect or not aggravate any potential injury he might have. That's 1 less option on our team i feel.