Our current squad vs Fergie's title winning squads

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lack of experience (of winning) in the current squad is a massive factor.
Absolutely this. We have two players who come across as winners, in Bruno and Cavani. I'm all for signing highly promising young players, but when we go outside of that profile, it should only be for winners. I think the next such player should be a GK.

MattofManchester

Nowhere close. Not just today. But over the season as a whole .

Honestly, we pick up a few wins and everybody loses their minds over the quality in this squad(cue McTominay potential thread after 1 good game), we go on a poor streak and others lose their minds over Ole being shite.

Its exhausting now.

There's also an obsession with comparing to the past sides which needs to end now. It's time to move on.

But just this once, I'll indulge that final season and our arguable first XI, if I can remember it.

Goalkeeper: Still De Gea. I'd say this is about the same then to now. He was really raw that season, but since last season, De Gea has regressed a little and still has some of the same problems he had back then.

Defence. We had 3 of the world's best defenders in our team back then. They were massively on the decline but their ability back then was still far above what exists now. Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra in a much more expansive team were certainly vulnerable but you'd still trust them more than you trust the current lot. We also lost Vidic a lot, so we saw a much greater deal of Jones and Evans in the team.
Rafael was a bit suspect defensively but did a good job going forward. Was meant to improve but never really did. Had a great influence over quite a few of our games, so I'd still keep him over AWB.

Midfield. Laughable comparison. Fred- McTominay or Carrick-Cleverley(Scholes). It'd a strange one cause on one hand you see Cleverley there but his level that season meant we didn't have to rely on Scholes or go with make shifts. He seemed to have done enough.

Rooney- Fernandes is where it's truly contested. I guess a lot of bias will decide here. Rooney had 12 goals and 10 assists(League only) that season, and I'm inclined to keep him as the slightly better player. However, this thread is about how the current side compares, and Bruno is the one that gets up there and matches the very best.

Wingers: Valencia and Young or Greenwood and Rashford. A serious lack of quality back then. Rashford would definitely get in over Young, but Valencia gets in on the other side for actually being a RW.

Upfront: Van Persie. Not even going to assess. Was a massive component in driving us to number 20. What have the current lot done?
An example of the falling standards of this club when we deem Martial to be good enough to succeed when the likes of Van Persie, Cole, Cantona, Van Nistelrooy and so on graced these grounds, and yet a 25 year old who shows no improvement ever is deemed to have the potential to join that lot.

I imagine some might have an issue with the comparison, but in my personal comparison, 3 players get into that XI.

So, well, that's that.

paulscholes18

Just to make one thing clear: it's possible for Fergie to be the best manager of all time while still generally having very good players. With that in mind: fecking hell. No, this team is not as good as any of Fergie's title winning teams.

It's hard to compare player for player, but the following players from the 2012-2013 team would walk straight into the starting XI now:

DDG(2013 version, as that was his first top class season)
Vidic
Evra
Rafael(based on performance, rather than status)
Carrick
Rooney
RVP

Maybe I'm being a bit generous with Rafael, but even if you exclude him it's 6-5 in favor of the current team. Keep in mind that I also excluded Valencia and Kagawa, who were good on paper, but performed worse than Rashford and Martial do now.

It's not all about having better players, though. Balance is just as important. When you have a borderline world class DM in Carrick and world class striker in RVP, then much of the job is done. Ironically, those two are exactly the sort of players this team needs. That, and maybe a smarter CB.
Where does he play? Not ahead of Bruno surly
Combined XI
DDG
AWB Rio Vidic Evra
Pogba Carrick
Nani Bruno Martial/ Rashford
RVP

Dan_F

Mentality is everything. And not just ours, opponents really struggled with the aura around the club and SAF. It takes a long time to get that back unfortunately.

OleBoiii

Where does he play? Not ahead of Bruno surly
Rooney would be a wide forward(like Kagawa was, but more clinical obviously).

My team:

-------------- DDG(2013) -------------
Rafael - Vidic - Maguire - Evra
------------- Carrick - Fred------------
-- Rooney - Bruno - Rashford --
-------------------- RVP -------------------

Chabon

There’s no point arguing with people about the 2013 squad because its supposed shitness is practically considered canon law, but on a par with the 2011 side, really?

Van Der Sar
O’Shea Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Fletcher
Nani Rooney Giggs
Berbatov

PIG, Smalling, Evans, Fabio, Rafael, Scholes, Anderson, Valencia, Park, Chicharito

Honestly, we suddenly have a half-decent attack again and we’re ‘on a par’ with a side that was three games away from a treble?

GMoore23

The holy trinity 68 said:
Not against the record breaking points totals of City and Liverpool the last few years.
We were runaway winners in Fergie's final season with a pretty average squad finishing with 89 points. With the money we spent in the years since I think Fergie would have built another treble winning side. Guardiola and Klopp wouldn't even have come to the League for fear of the great man. He'd have smashed 100 points in this modern game were attackers get so much protection.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rooney would be a wide forward(like Kagawa was, but more clinical obviously).

My team:

-------------- DDG(2013) -------------
Rafael - Vidic - Maguire - Evra
------------- Carrick - Fred------------
-- Rooney - Bruno - Rashford --
-------------------- RVP -------------------
Are you putting Maguire in before Rio, brave choice

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’ve said it before but the first thing Ferguson would do it break the bank for a world class centre forward. Give us Rio, Carrick and Rooney/RVP and this side probably would be very close on all fronts. All that shows though is that we aren’t far way at all. I keep saying it but we’re 4 players away from having the most exciting squad in Europe.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
I think midfield is the area where current Manchester United squad does not come close to Sir Alex's title winning team (probable exception is the 2012-13 season team).

I genuinely think that the defense of this united team is not as bad as it is made to look like. Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly are all good to decent defenders. Problem is the midfield is not covering for them. Your only genuine DM is Matic who is quite slow, and that's why Solskjaer had to play two defensive minded CMs who can cover the space.

The forward line as a whole is very good, and I am including Fernandes here, as he is not a midfielder. Cavani is a wily forward even at this age. If Martial and Rashford can convert their chances better, this team can win silverware regularly.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rio was quite poor/mediocre that year if I'm not mistaken? I tried to base my team on performance rather than reputation.
Fair, I’d still take a not top form Ferdinand over Maguire though to be honest, just a different level in quality

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
2010/2011 was far superior, it’s not even debate. Best defense with 3 world class defenders, top wingers and solid midfield with world class Rooney.

in 2012/2013, Defensively we weren’t very good in that season to be fair but we have RVP, world class, clinical, best striker or top 3 striker in the world at that time. In that year, he was probably better than any of current forwards in the PL this season. And Carrick was one of the best deep playmaker in that year.

I think the massive difference is obviously RVP & Carrick, we don’t have those two type & level of players now, if we have, we would have been challenging Liverpool or even winning it. And also bit of Evra to score from set pieces, scoring heading like mad man.

Absolutely this. We have two players who come across as winners, in Bruno and Cavani. I'm all for signing highly promising young players, but when we go outside of that profile, it should only be for winners. I think the next such player should be a GK.
In terms of winning things, we are light. But the team will hopefully get there together. We are not far off a good mix.

DDG I assume is the only player we have who has one the PL with us. I would have thought Mata and Matic have won the PL with Chelsea, and Cavani has obviously won a lot. We have a couple of World Cup winners as well.

the biggest difference between this team and the United teams mentioned by the OP is the experience of going the distance with United. We haven’t even been in a title race in 7 years - I certainty don’t count when Jose came second.

Eire Red United

I see people saying we don't have a striker as good as RVP and that's the difference. Many would argue that Cavani is better than RVP. For me, the difference is that the teams we are competing against are better now than they were then...
Many would be wrong to argue that.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's not on par with the 2013 team, nowhere close. I would take the entire back 5, Carrick, Rooney and RVP from that team. 8/11 players come from 2013 season.

The 2011 team was also miles better.

RUCK4444

Literally only Bruno gets into that basic Fergie team.

I’m happy with the progress we are making but we’re not a better team than that side. Not a chance.

Revan

Assumptionman
Rio was quite poor/mediocre that year if I'm not mistaken? I tried to base my team on performance rather than reputation.
He actually made EPL team of the year in 2012-2013, was rock solid. Vidic was also good when fit, but unfortunately missed too many matches (though Evans deputized very well).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Our 2011 and 2013 teams weren’t even close to being as good as some of our other Fergie teams. But still only DDG (who was already there in 2013), Bruno, Rashford and one of Fred / McT would get in those teams.
But the current players will get there. If people want a league title now then we at least need a striker and a DM in their prime now.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The players are still quite young. Sometimes I feel we are judging the current state of the squad on their potential, rather than their current ability. Like Rashford is potentially a BdO candidate, ditto for Mason, but right now, they won't be a part of top 5 World XIs.

These players will win things, but we're still an year or two away from achieving that level of consistency required to win the league

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Aside from comparing with specific Fergie teams, he always made sure we had a world class striker didn’t he? Always made sure we had extremely reliable centre backs as well. Probably half the team were world class or close to at our best points, with the rest being very good workhorses who knew exactly what he wanted them to do.

I don’t know if he actively made sure we went for players with the right attitude and we took that for granted at the time, or he made them have the right attitude once they arrive, but they always seemed to didn’t they? Probably both.

He instilled such a philosophy (sorry to use that word) throughout the club, not just the team, that it raised the level of everyone. Even the canteen staff talked of it. Just pure winning mentality.

OleBoiii

He actually made EPL team of the year in 2012-2013, was rock solid. Vidic was also good when fit, but unfortunately missed too many matches (though Evans deputized very well).
Damn, so essentially just 3 players(Bruno, a CM and a wide forward) would make the starting XI of Fergie's supposedly worst title team. That's pretty grim.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fergie would be all over Calvert-Lewin if he was manager. He would develop him into a world class forward too.

dev1l

One thing Fergie did, was to have a large squad, most of which were average players.
He then changed formation all the time (he was accused of being a tinkerman by some fans), surprising the opposite manager like when he played the Dasilvas brothers in midfield vs Arsenal.
Imo Ole is trying to do the same, that s why he claimed he aims to have two good players in each position. It s still works in progress.

lex talionis

Our recent good form notwithstanding, this United side would be blown off the park by any of Ferguson’s PL-winning sides and probably any of his PL sides.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In terms of winning things, we are light. But the team will hopefully get there together. We are not far off a good mix.

DDG I assume is the only player we have who has one the PL with us. I would have thought Mata and Matic have won the PL with Chelsea, and Cavani has obviously won a lot. We have a couple of World Cup winners as well.

the biggest difference between this team and the United teams mentioned by the OP is the experience of going the distance with United. We haven’t even been in a title race in 7 years - I certainty don’t count when Jose came second.
I don't count when Jose came second either, nor do I count titles won by some players years and years ago, when in the last 5-7 years they've been part of a team that has largely been mediocre and lacked any edge. And Pogba winning a World Cup I think has zero bearing on United. At least I haven't noticed.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I see people saying we don't have a striker as good as RVP and that's the difference. Many would argue that Cavani is better than RVP. For me, the difference is that the teams we are competing against are better now than they were then...
While I 100% agree that the league is miles better than it was in 2013, I don’t think anyone would argue Cavani being on RVP’s level. He was arguable the best striker in the world that year.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This. Also City and Pool have squads that gave them record breaking seasons in terms of points. Last time SAF came across a team that was in a similar league to City and Pool was Chelsea and it took him 3 years to rebuild a team capable of rising to the challenge. It's a massive job trying to catch up to the last 2 champions and we are on the right track imo.
Also people are forgetting how much of a difference the influx of cash has done for mid and lower level sides these days. Wolves, Everton, Leicester, Palace, Southampton, etc all have clever managers or players that can pop up and win a match for a side, and the league as a whole has progressed far past where it was in the last decade.

always_hoping

I would argue it's fairly better than 2013 and on par with 2011

What do you guys think ?
I think not. For a start the 2011, 2013 panels was full of leaders with winning mentalities the opposite of the current panel.

Jibbs

Fergie would win a treble with current squad. This squad is the best on paper in EPL. It just needs self belief, confidence and can do attitude. I hope Ole is able to instill that in them since Pochettino is gone now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The main difference is that RvP was coming from his best season ever and having played all league games for Arsenal. He continued his incredible form in his first season with us.
Whereas Cavani came from having a season at PSG where he had missed a lot of games and in a lot of other games where he was selected he mostly only played a few minutes. And he also continued this form with us (self isolation, then getting fit, then getting match fit, then playing (well) for us, then getting injured and now he is back again). When fit he has done really well, but surely you can see the difference in (expected) impact RvP had in 2012/13 and Cavani this season.