Our home form

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Another thing to note: there have our been two goals total in our last four home league games – one penalty for, one against. At least we have become difficult to score against at home.

Djcoops54

Win our game in hand and we are only 2 points behind the leaders, our home form can only get better so let’s take the positives eh. Yeah I am as frustrated at the next man when I watch United but let’s get behind them and hope that Pogba leaves in January and we spend that money on a WC CH.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wolves (H)
Villa (H)
City (H)
Watford (H)

4 home games in the next 10-12 days. We're doomed :nervous:

Raw

The Wolves and Villa games are must wins if we have any ambition of challenging for the title. They're tough but a team fighting for first should win them.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wolves (H)
Villa (H)
City (H)
Watford (H)

4 home games in the next 10-12 days. We're doomed :nervous:
TBF, apart from the loss to Arsenal, one can easily explain the home results due to one reason or the other.
Starting from last season, we were pretty much done physically in the games to Southampton and WHU, Palace and Spurs was down to us not having a pre-season. Chelsea and City games - both us and the opposition was scared of losing and hence they parked the bus (and a draw to a top 6 team is not really a bad result). Even Arsenal game was decided because of Pogba's stupidity rather than anything else. And I think we've won the other 2 games we've played at home unless I'm missing something here.

Raw

TBF, apart from the loss to Arsenal, one can easily explain the home results due to one reason or the other.
Starting from last season, we were pretty much done physically in the games to Southampton and WHU, Palace and Spurs was down to us not having a pre-season. Chelsea and City games - both us and the opposition was scared of losing and hence they parked the bus (and a draw to a top 6 team is not really a bad result). Even Arsenal game was decided because of Pogba's stupidity rather than anything else. And I think we've won the other 2 games we've played at home unless I'm missing something here.
I was just thinking this. That start to the season really fecked us over. Since the Arsenal loss we beat West Brom (barely, but looks as though other teams struggle against them too), drew 0-0 to City and smashed Leeds 6-2. Hopefully the next few games will give a better indicator of how well we do at home. We definitely look a damn sight better than the losses to Palace and Spurs anyway.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Our home form, but form in general actually, against our biggest domestic rivals has tanked since the pandemic.

Goals scored against fellow Big 6 sides at home this season:
  • 1 v Spurs (Bruno, pen)
  • 0 v Chelsea
  • 0 v Arsenal
  • 0 v City
  • 0 v City
It is now 448 goalless minutes plus injury time since we last scored against a Big 6 side at home. We’ve conceded nine in that time.

Here’s an even more damning stat: Since that famous McTominay goal against City, the last in front of a full stadium, United have played eight games against Big 6 sides behind closed doors. United have failed to score a single non-penalty goal, scoring only three penalties in all those eight games!

Ole had these games sorted it felt like. Now we look completely hopeless in them.

Godfather

Our home form, but form in general actually, against our biggest domestic rivals has tanked since the pandemic.

• 1 v Spurs (Bruno, pen)
  • 0 v Chelsea
  • 0 v Arsenal
  • 0 v City
  • 0 v City
It is now 448 goalless minutes plus injury time since we last scored against a Big 6 side at home. We’ve conceded nine in that time.

Here’s an even more damning stat: Since that famous McTominay goal against City, the last in front of a full stadium, United have played eight games against Big 6 sides behind closed doors. United have failed to score a single non-penalty goal, scoring only three penalties in all those eight games!

Ole had these games sorted it felt like. Now we look completely hopeless in them.
Looks like Ole has been found out. Prevent our counters and we have no ideas left. City defended quite deep at times today, especially in the second half. These situations show our cluelesness. No attacking patterns, no creativity.

Dominos

• 1 v Spurs (Bruno, pen)
  • 0 v Chelsea
  • 0 v Arsenal
  • 0 v City
  • 0 v City

It's analysis like this that make me seriously doubt the narrative that we have this incredible all conquering attack that I read on here, and makes me wonder if the fans actually watch our games. You can add the likes of Palace, Istanbul, West Brom, Wolves to those you listed in terms of absolutely limp, limp performances.

I got stick for criticising our Wolves performance last week because we got the win. The issue is actual performances are often indicative of a team's quality and when you're putting in performances with such little cohesion and quality then it's only a matter of time before you put in a similarly awful showing and you don't get away with it.

I wasn't in the least bit surprised we put in such a toothless performance tonight, in a semi final, and a derby.. Because I've seen that same game enough times already this season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

• 1 v Spurs (Bruno, pen)
  • 0 v Chelsea
  • 0 v Arsenal
  • 0 v City
  • 0 v City

That's kinda odd, I genuinely don't remember the team being so ineffective lately against the other big teams. But stats don't lie.

Wilt

• 1 v Spurs (Bruno, pen)
  • 0 v Chelsea
  • 0 v Arsenal
  • 0 v City
  • 0 v City

Must admit those are shocking stats ....how the hell are we top of the prem?

ti vu

Shocking stats ....how the hell are we top of the prem?
Big teams only made up a small part of the league. Unlike those record breaking season, most of the time not losing in big games and killing the rest would get you in good position. We're doing the latter well in 2020.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Must admit those are shocking stats ....how the hell are we top of the prem?
I find it odd how few people, especially analysts and those within the media, have not really picked up on just how underwhelming we have been in these sorts of games. There’s a real pattern there now.

I cannot see us doing anything at Anfield as long as their defenders are disciplined in avoiding a penalty.

Wilt

I find it odd how few people, especially analysts and those within the media, have not really picked up on just how underwhelming we have been in these sorts of games. There’s a real pattern there now.

I cannot see us doing anything at Anfield as long as their defenders are disciplined in avoiding a penalty.
It’s really bad how we’ve become so dependant on penalties ...ie diving Martial was so intent on getting a penalty he forgot to shoot.

ti vu

It's not odd.

The old big 6 has not been the same with Arsenal dropping down the table the past few seasons. Tottenham struggled last season.

Leceister spent most of last season in top 4 just to be out of it in the end. When focusing on team temporarily stay in top 4, we don't look bad. Like how we beat Everton, Southampton this season when they're in the mix of current top 6, where we lost to Arsenal and drew City when they're outside top 6.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s really bad how we’ve become so dependant on penalties ...ie diving Martial was so intent on getting a penalty he forgot to shoot.
Martial feels like a waste of time right now in these games. He’s begging for the defender to make the decision for him every time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It's not odd.

The old big 6 has not been the same with Arsenal dropping down the table the past few seasons. Tottenham struggled last season.

Leceister spent most of last season in top 4 just to be out of it in the end. When focusing on team temporarily stay in top 4, we don't look bad. Like how we beat Everton, Southampton this season when they're in the mix of current top 6, where we lost to Arsenal and drew City when they're outside top 6.
Games against Arsenal (all of the big 6 sides) are still treated by the clubs, the players, the managers, the fans and the media as bigger, higher pressure, showcase matches than games against Leicester, Wolves and Everton etc, rightly or wrongly, regardless of where they currently sit in the table.

It’s less about the quality of the sides and the mindset with which we approach these games in my view.

ti vu

Games against Arsenal (all of the big 6 sides) are still treated by the clubs, the players, the managers, the fans and the media as bigger, higher pressure, showcase matches than games against Leicester, Wolves and Everton etc, rightly or wrongly, regardless of where they currently sit in the table.

It’s less about the quality of the sides and the mindset with which we approach these games in my view.
The point I madd is despite of that factor, it doesn't make a trend and a narrative about our struggle against other big 6 teams until some of those teams get back to be a top 6. It doesn't sound dramatic enough a narrative to attack us since overall we're doing well against temporary top 6 teams.

Bojan11

Still rubbish for me. We beat Southampton thanks to being helped that they were down to 10 men.

The Sheffield United and Everton games are matches we should be winning. That's 5 points dropped from two games that we should win.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Crazy how we are second and this would probably be the worst season to have a season ticket results wise since Fergie left.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
In fairness, its been an absolute shite season. I can't actually believe we were 7 points clear of City at the start of this year.

James Peril

Totally unacceptable. Very strange that the away form is so good and the home form has killed us this season.
It just really isn’t strange at all. It’s corona - there are no people in the stands, how is this so difficult to grasp!? At home we attack and leave room to exploit, but there are no fans to cheer us on when needed. Away the other team feels they have to attack, leaving us space to work in, and they have no fans to help them at the end of a game. The fans are gone, but the mentality is oddly the same. Naturally, when fans return we will get a boost at home and then we’ll lose a lot more away games. This «record» away from home is worthless without context, obviously this team isn’t good enough to go unbeaten in a normal season. When fans return, we’ll lose 5-6 away games… but we’ll never lose 6 at home.

This United-version thrives in space on the counter, we’re pretty average in building attacks given our limited manager and his inability to exploit our attacking players - so naturally we do better away from home where more space is a given.

It just really isn’t strange at all. It’s corona - there are no people in the stands, how is this so difficult to grasp!? At home we attack and leave room to exploit, but there are no fans to cheer us on when needed. Away the other team feels they have to attack, leaving us space to work in, and they have no fans to help them at the end of a game. The fans are gone, but the mentality is oddly the same. Naturally, when fans return we will get a boost at home and then we’ll lose a lot more away games. This «record» away from home is worthless without context, obviously this team isn’t good enough to go unbeaten in a normal season. When fans return, we’ll lose 5-6 away games… but we’ll never lose 6 at home.

This United-version thrives in space on the counter, we’re pretty average in building attacks given our limited manager and his inability to exploit our attacking players - so naturally we do better away from home where more space is a given.
It can't just be COVID and an absence of fans; I don't buy that excuse. Some other clubs have maintained an excellent home record without their fans. Of course having a home crowd behind you is a great advantage, but isn't everything and it alone can't explain six defeats. Old Trafford hasn't been a fortress in years, let's be honest. I think your other point is more accurate: we are a counter-attacking side, and, at Old Trafford, where we are required to take the game to the opposition, we struggle to break teams down.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It can't just be COVID and an absence of fans; I don't buy that excuse. Some other clubs have maintained an excellent home record without their fans. Of course having a home crowd behind you is a great advantage, but isn't everything and it alone can't explain six defeats. Old Trafford hasn't been a fortress in years, let's be honest. I think your other point is more accurate: we are a counter-attacking side, and, at Old Trafford, where we are required to take the game to the opposition, we struggle to break teams down.
Name them?

Liverpool haven't
City haven't
Chelsea haven't
Leicester haven't

You look at most clubs and most of their dropped points have been at home

Our home form has been shite but let's be honest it's been made worse by playing one game with 10 men for the majority, one game with a B team and tonight with the chuckle brothers in defence

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think the key to the above fact is probably that we just played two dead rubbers in 48 hours...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bending what narrative? I said from the outset that an absence of fans is probably a factor in the poor home form, but, in my humble opinion, that alone cannot fully explain it. I think our counter-attacking style is a big part of it.
The bullshit about it being one in every 3 games or whatever shit you said

Tell it like it is that we lost 3 of our first 4 home games and then 2 in the last 48 hours

pascell

Only Newcastle and West Brom have conceded more at home than us this season. I think tells us where our priorities are in the upcoming summer, not just in players but staff also.

Only Newcastle and West Brom have conceded more at home than us this season. I think tells us where our priorities are in the upcoming summer, not just in players but staff also.
Fans or no fans, that is simply unacceptable for this club at Old Trafford. To me it points to a deeper problem than merely the empty stadium. We know centre back is an issue.