Our most overrated keeper: it's Edwin / Don't Drink and Thread

led_scholes

To be fair VDS in his final year was kinda massively declined so the goals we conceded vs Barcelona 2011 wasn’t really the best version of VDS, prime VDS could save them. I remember he made huge mistake against Everton or something in that early season which cost us 3 points. That’s why he announced a retirement because he knew he reached his limit.
We tried to replace him with Foster already by 2009. We, and he, knew that the time was coming. However, he was still really good in his last two seasons. Give me any day VDS 09-11 over De Gea 2018-now. And VDS was never the highest paid gk in the world..

Green_Red

He was better than any Liverpool or City goalkeeper in the last 30 years imo which means he may have been over rated but at least he wasn't shite.

Irwin99

Made the save that mattered in Moscow
Unpopular view but some of Chelsea's penalties that night were really poor and should have been saved. Thankfully he saved the one that mattered.

What I really liked about VDS is that he generally had a very stable level of performance and wasn't as erratic as Big Pete or Dave but also probably never reached their best moments. Consistency is the best thing you can ask of a goalkeeper and VDS was immense in that regard. A fantastic signing for us.

Lentwood

To be honest, I never thought he was THAT good for us. Was mostly solid but wasn't ever blown away.

Still....always remember his penalty save from Anelka

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Get out. Edwin is our greatest ever, I won't be convinced otherwise. Some are you are forgetting we went 1300 minutes without conceding in 2009, and not to mention the Anelka penalty save that won us the CL.

Schmeichel is probably our most overrated, and was a Judas to boot.
VDS made about 12 saves over the course of those games. He was awesome but that’s a massively flawed statistic to evidence it.

The midfield and defence deserves the most plaudits for that run.

Joseunited

Can we please just announce Ten Hag, it'll stop shite threads like this one.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Schmeical was quite poor in the 99 treble winning season too, especially early on in the season he dropped a few clangers. The penalty save in the semi final v arsenal clouded most people's judgement but overall he had a poor season!

Oranges038

He was everything DDG is not and more.

He was a supreme organiser who let that do most of his work, 90% of the keepers job is done away from the ball and he was great at it. The other 10% he was brilliant at too.

DDG is probably the most over rated keeper ever in the history of the game.

Wilt

Six seasons, four prem titles and a CL …..yeah he’s well overrated

w@nk thread of the year contender

Kaos

VDS made about 12 saves over the course of those games. He was awesome but that’s a massively flawed statistic to evidence it.

The midfield and defence deserves the most plaudits for that run.
Saves arent necessarily the definitive bench mark. De Gea makes a lot of saves but you’d argue he does himself no favours by putting himself in positions through his poor distribution and general positioning that forces him to make saves. I’d say that stat was also a testament to VDS’ calming influence, leadership and organisational capabilities with the back 4.

jesperjaap

Saw the titleof thread and thought there was a punchline.

For me Schmeichel was without doubt our best keeper and my favourite keeper of all time....VDS was the secodn best keeper in my lifetime for us and DeGea third.

All of them had bad anad awful games and moments, but VDS had less than the other two. A youtube video of his worst doesnt change that. VDS was a calming influence and his strength was that he was so consistent, always got his angles right, always made himself big, calm with the ball at his feet, ahead of his time in that regard, very solid dealing with crosses and the he "wasnt a good shot stopper" comments also I find a bit ridiculous as of coruse he was. He didnt pull off so many worldy saves liek DeGea or great 1 on 1 moments as Schmiechel, but not a good shot stopper? What are people talkign about, one of the most nonsense threads Ive ever seen on here

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wait til you hear him comment on his colleague sending dickpics around the club.

jeff_goldblum

Van Der Sar is proof that the best keepers aren't always the ones with the flashiest highlight reels. He was a good shot-stopper, but he didn't have to rely on that most of the time because he was proactive, read the game very well and communicated brilliantly with his defenders. We'd be a much better team in every respect if we had him now.

jesperjaap

Get out. Edwin is our greatest ever, I won't be convinced otherwise. Some are you are forgetting we went 1300 minutes without conceding in 2009, and not to mention the Anelka penalty save that won us the CL.

Schmeichel was over rated too? I wonder if you are making that comment from being a bitter as he ended his career at City? If not, deary deary me, I cant read anymore of this thread its so ridiculous

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can never forget his mistake against West Brom in 2011 or 2012 I think it was that cost us a 100% home record that season. Won 17 out of 18 and he drops a simple catch at the feet of some WBA no mark and we draw.

He was a very good keeper though, but as far as his United legacy is concerned, he, like many other footballers, has enjoyed added benefit from being in the right place at the right time. He was our keeper during a golden period, he was a good player, anyone who was a good player at the time gets elevated a bit retrospectively. Like to me, playing a similar role in the squad, Jesse Lingard is a better footballer than Ji-Sung Park. Many will say that is blasphemy, and then highlight every good thing Park did as evidence. But to me, key difference is Park’s era was far more ‘golden’ than the Lingard era. Still, Lingard has done things for us that Park could only dream of.

Biggins

This thread should be locked, banned and forever forgotten... VdS was a rock and could organise defence like no one else. DDG could learn a lot from him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mixed thoughts.

On the one hand, he sometimes gets described as the sort of keeper who never made a mistake, which is definitely untrue. He was either at fault or should have done better for goals in each of the three CL finals he appeared in with us for a start. And he made more than his fair share of mistakes in the league too but those tend to get overlooked when you're in a winning side. And because we understandably view him through the lense of his time at United, when we assess him as a goalkeeper we tend to forget he made at least one other previous high-profile blunder in a CL final, as well the nightmare spell at Juve that saw him end up at Fulham. So in that aspect you could argue he's overrated here sometimes in terms of his reliability or his general standing as a goalkeeper across his full career.

On the other hand, given the way goalkeeping developed over the years you could probably argue some of his strengths would be even more valued and highlighted now than they were back then.

MrSingh2002

What a garbage thread.

Edwin was world class and I wish we'd have signed him years earlier than we did.

He had everything.

Mickson

He was so fkn good. He controlled everything, made very few mistakes, and was the most reliable keeper we've ever had. Schmeichel on the other hand was overrated and made many mistakes, especially when you go back and watch the games now. He hasn't aged greatly as a keeper IMO.

Marcus

Watching a 'compilation' of someone's career is always pointless and offers a completely skewed perspective. My 8 year old has just got into United and recently watched (okay, was forced to watch!) the highlights of the treble season. I wanted to give him some proof that we were actually a good team, once! He now thinks Schmeichel is a complete donkey (because there are SO MANY absolute howlers during that season that seem to outweigh the moments of pure genius), he can't understand what I see in Keane (because he doesn't feature that much), nor why I've never even mentioned Jesper Blomqvist (because watching the highlights of 99, he looks like Pele).
Schmeichel was shocking in the first half of treble season after he announced his retirement. So bad that Fergie ordered him to take a 2 week break and he came back a keeper reborn. Saving "that penalty" from Bergkamp in the FA Cup when Giggsy went on his solo goal when we were down to 10 men. Edwin was great.

GMoore23

Close thread please. This place has lost the plot.

Also, go watch De Geas highlights from the past 2 seasons or Schmeichels last 2 seasons to see if your opinion is also tarnished.
Van Der Sar was a phenomenal keeper and probably our most steady and reliable under Fergie.

What about the Moscow Final he won us in the penalty shootout. Did you see De Geas performance in last seasons Europa Final. Laughable in comparison.

Caesar2290

Just the other day I posted in the Bruno Fernandes thread that if Scholes would be playing today, people would still find faults with him.

This thread basically confirms that.

Tyrion

I’m sure he’s devastated.
I'm a little baffled at how fans think players are that concerned about people's opinions of them. Any top level professional footballer has had tens of thousands of fans just like us scream abuse at them every other week, in some cases for decades. I doubt they give a sh!t.

Tyrion

Just the other day I posted in the Bruno Fernandes thread that if Scholes would be playing today, people would still find faults with him.

This thread basically confirms that.
There were some people who thought SAF was past it basically every season since 2010.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth noting that the players most likely to be overrated are the ones we rate the highest. Saying an extremely highly rated player is overrated doesn't mean they weren't very good.

Some of the responses here are far too precious.

BarstoolProphet

His fault that the run ended, which is the fairest way of judging him on:wenger:

Seriously good and reliable keeper but you could see that age finally caught up with him at the end of his United career.

NewYorkRed

Tell me you’re trying to be a contrarian without telling me you’re trying to be a contrarian.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Always surprised me you never signed him earlier, would've thought he'd have been an obvious replacement for Schmeichel in 1999 rather than go Juventus.

He did well to recover his reputation as his time at Juve was generally seen as a joke IIRC, made loads of errors and got dropped. Was a huge coup for Fulham but even then I can remember him making plenty of errors with them.

Exactly the keeper Man. United needed though considering you had all of Ricardo, Tim Howard and Roy Carroll as regular keepers in the previous three seasons once Barthez got found out.

Was steady infront of an immense backline and could make that one key save in a game. Didn't he break prem record for not conceding a goal around 2009?

Paul_Scholes18

Worth noting that the players most likely to be overrated are the ones we rate the highest. Saying an extremely highly rated player is overrated doesn't mean they weren't very good.

Some of the responses here are far too precious.
Yeah I think many fans overrate the players that play for the club they support. Although some do the opposite and underrate them.

It is natural that the players from our best years gets overrated by us and probably underrated by Liverpool supporters etc.

Our current players get more underrated here since we are doing badly so the players must be shit etc.

NewYorkRed

He was everything DDG is not and more.

He was a supreme organiser who let that do most of his work, 90% of the keepers job is done away from the ball and he was great at it. The other 10% he was brilliant at too.

DDG is probably the most over rated keeper ever in the history of the game.
Dude did Dave like refuse to give you an autograph or something? We could be on a boxing thread and you’d find a way to tell us how crap he is haha.

Red_toad

Was terrible in those finals but immense for us.

His kicking was class. Controlled the penalty area well. Ate crosses. Communicated.

He wasn't the best shot stopper but didn't have to be with Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra.
Edwin would improve our current defence and Dave would make that back line worse. Controlling the penalty area is so much more important that simply reaction to shots quicker. Guy never appeared flustered and constantly talked to his defenders.