Our options are limited, who next?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
No idea really. Well plenty of ideas but nothing makes any sense, neither does keeping the current one so yeah it's a clusterfeck. Liverpool and City must be pissing themselves laughing at this point in time. Really not sure if Zidane would want to take over this mess. Idiotic planning too if we have to find a manager now.

liamp

We will never succeed if we keep employing managers instead of a head coach. There is nobody capable of doing this job the way it's presently constructed

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We don’t have time for patience during the middle of the season.

Liverpool turfed out Brenton and got Klopp in straight away. If you know who is the best man then get them in.
But that's just it, Klopp was readily available and fit what they wanted like a glove. Off the top of my head I can't really picture anyone like that for United.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pochettino maybe. I really don't know.
With him signing a five year contract it would probably go down as the most expensive managerial change in history. Will cost £40M+ to sack Mourinho before we're confirmed to be out of the top 4 (assuming they've got that clause in) and another £40M for Levy to release Pochettino.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It'll be Zidane.

And I expect him to massively fail too tbh.

The moment we stop panic appointing the best name out of contract available and hire someone that's chosen on basis is when we'll get our appointment right.
This. Why I said we should approach managers under contract if we have to. Zidane is not the right man.

SER19

Doesn’t make a difference while the club approach is how it is. Can see the various rants and accusations that would be levelled at every manager mentioned in this thread,

Needs a top team, inexperienced, never won anything before he came here, too similar to mourinho. Living in dreamland if you think putting one man in the middle of the enormous machine that is united while it is run the exact same way will change a thing. Woodward out.

For discussion sakes pretending we’re talking about somebody not coming into a bloody circus of a club then I’d consider. Roughly in order

Conte
Zidane
Carrick/McKenna til May
Pochettino
Gary Neville I shit you not. Our players need a reminder who they’re playing for as much as anything.

Hiring some younger guy like Howe or any number of talented but under the radar German coaches or Italian coach is just turning them into cannon fodder in a fickle world.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With him signing a five year contract it would probably go down as the most expensive managerial change in history. Will cost £40M+ to sack Mourinho before we're confirmed to be out of the top 4 (assuming they've got that clause in) and another £40M for Levy to release Pochettino.
If the board believe Pochettino is the best option (which I do), they should do it whatever it costs.

klsv

Shouldn't be too hard, really. Just need someone who has enough ego, personality and charisma to get instant respect in the dressing room, who has won more than a League Cup trophy, who plays attacking football and trusts the youth, while he himself is being trusted enough to be handed enough funds to get every player he asks for...buuuut at the same time, would be willing to go 9 months with buying nobody, because it's just the last days of September and the January window is problematic, cup-tied players etc. Oh and he should also be unemployed at the moment, or is willing to quit his current club or our poorly run club with huge expectations, being the fourth one in charge in a short time. I'll post my shortlist of managers fitting the bill in after a few.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wish we would've done the smart thing in the summer and pulled the trigger on José and appointed Sarri.
As of now, considering the limited options, I'd be in favour of bringing him in, too. Proven winner, develops youth, opts for attacking football.

Member 93275

An experienced caretaker like Hiddink was at Chelsea, for a cleansing of the mind and spirit. Stabilize the ship, and bring the fun back for the players and the fans. This also provides the club with plenty of time to look for a new manager for the summer, with more options to pick from. Maybe Claudio Ranieri?

Andersons Dietician

Zidane is the obvious one but, I have my doubts he is the right fit for us or could do it. For me it has to be Poch but I don’t see any scenario where we could get him out of Spurs before the season ends. However in the words of Massive Spanner, “it’s fecking Zidane!!”

Woody would love a combination of Zidane manager and see if Becks would be assistant, his brain would explode and we’d actually truly be a Hollywood team. Not adverse to putting Mckena or Carrick in charge for the rest of the season, I actually think they’d bring this team together but failing that Wenger, Keane, Giggsy then work on who we really want/need in the summer.

IAmAWinner

Get Zidane in, ffs he won 3 champion leagues in a row. I know he had a slightly better team than us, but Jose never won the UCL with Real Madrid and Zidane still had the likes of Juve, Bayern, Barca, Atletico Madrid to deal with. There's no one better on the market anyways. And it's Zinedine fecking Zidane, players will respect him.

ErranMorad

We need to appoint a Dof/Technical director before we take any decision with regards to a new manager, imo. Don't know if it'll be a success or not, but we need someone with better football knowledge than Eddy in there.

Once we get that, imo, we can take two approaches:

(1) Appoint a care taker manager till the end of the season and let them assess the squad along with the Dof. Then in the summer we get a new shiny manager who powered with the squad assessment from the Dof can make the necessary squad changes. Pochettino, Jardim, Zidane - can all be decent options. I am sure there are a couple more who can do the job.

(2) We appoint Zidane, if we think he is the right man, and let him have a season without any pressure of results (Kind of like Liverpool did with Klopp) to assess the squad and implement his style of football. He can use the season as a freebie to get a long term plan going at this club.

This is a 3-4 year project. I don't think there are any quick fixes. Whatever it is, Eddy should be ready to open the chequebook for any new manager.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
If we get Zidane we're back to square one.

Alternatives? Honestly no idea...

Carrick caretaker till the end of the season?

Trophy Room

Whilst I agree Jose is on borrowed time, I think it would be dangerous to sack him now after the players pretty much downed tools. We could end up in a Chelsea situation where all the players and agents have the power.

I don't think the club would sack him until the top four is mathematically out of reach,the glazers have got to save that compensation cash.

Anyway, in answer to our options I would honestly cleanse our pallet of galactico managers and get back to our roots. Zidane worked at real, pep at barca, why couldn't carrick get the rest of the season with McKenna assisting him.

But first this god awful marketing united needs to gtfo of our club. It's led to megastar mega bucks signings and a board of directors who care more about how many Facebook followers we have than the turf on our pitch
I don't think you quite appreciate how shit it would be for us to be out of the champions league.

Organic

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Knows and loves the club. Unproven, yes, but Mourinho and LVG are meant to be ‘proven’ managers.

"Sir Alex taught me how not to become complacent and always keep the standards up," Solskjaer said.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "Everything I know about managing top footballers I learned from him."

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I wouldn't mind giving Henry a shot, I'm sure he'd set us up to play some nice attacking football, and he seems to like United aswell.
No more old dinosaurs, let's get some up and coming manager who knows the league and has ambitions.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Knows and loves the club. Unproven, yes, but Mourinho and LVG are meant to be ‘proven’ managers.

"Sir Alex taught me how not to become complacent and always keep the standards up," Solskjaer said.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "Everything I know about managing top footballers I learned from him."
Won the league in Norway when he was allowed to buy lots of players that were too good for the league, really not done much after that, except failing at Cardiff.
Doubt he's good enough for the PL.