Our POTY 2019/20

United's POTY this season?

• Total voters

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Seems like Martial won the Player's one. I don't understand this one though, so the award called Busby one is the one voted by the fans right? Or are those 2 different with the fan one being called Busby award and the other one another name?

Seems like players recognized it. Game recognizes game.
It was always the case, we had 2 awards. One voted by fans and other by players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He objectively doesn't deserve a player of the season award for playing less than half of the season.
Is there a rule or something about this?

For people to say "objectively", "definitely", "gullible fans" on opinions how a player impacting a season, is really weird. I can see if one player had a Messi's season, but the other won it. But it's not.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was always going to be bent by media narrative, especially the one voted for by gullible fans. Martial was without a doubt our best player for me, he consistently gave top performances all season apart from a two week period in January, not to mention the crucial and great goals dispersed throughout.
So anyone who didn't think it was Martial was propagated by the media narrative?

There is fanboyism and then there is utter delusion :lol:

Withnail

Is there a rule or something about this?

For people to say "objectively", "definitely", "gullible fans" on opinions how a player impacting a season, is really weird. I can see if one player had a Messi's season, but the other won it. But it's not.
The gullible fans and media narrative stuff isn't something I'm really getting involved in. As I said earlier recency bias comes into these things a fair bit. If you look at the players player and all that, a purple patch in Nov/Dec has meant someone has won it when their performance over the full year didn't really warrant it.

In relation to your question, any time I've ever given out awards for anything there was a minimum participation threshold and 37% of league games isn't really enough.

OldTrevil

Yup that one was pretty blatant. Still, I'm quite surprised Bruno won it in the end, didn't expect that many people to vote for him. Congrats to him.

And as for the media propaganda, I do think in the end it had a positive effect for us as it allowed a new signing to gain confidence quickly, as well as keeping a feel-good factor around the team. So I don't mind it's blatancy. A more negative one like what's been hanging around Pogba would be more of a problem for me.
The Pogba one is despicable, and has a huge effect on so called fans as well. Example the guy was our top scorer and assister from midfield the season before last, but Shaw gets voted POTY with no where near the same contribution in output or performances :lol:

I see your point that the positive bent on Bruno could have helped him personally, but it always has the implication of diminishing the true contribution of others to our good form, so I'll always be against the bias even when it seems positive to the individual.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The Pogba one is despicable, and has a huge effect on so called fans as well. Example the guy was our top scorer and assister from midfield the season before last, but Shaw gets voted POTY with no where near the same contribution in output or performances :lol:

I see your point that the positive bent on Bruno could have helped him personally, but it always has the implication of diminishing the true contribution of others to our good form, so I'll always be against the bias even when it seems positive to the individual.
I also started dismissing these fans vote when Pogba didn't win it last year instead of Shaw, then again Shaw also won the player's one so what the hell. But I feel like Pogba got shafted and he's always in a position where he has to do twice as well as anyone to be given any credit. Bruno is the opposite, he just has to show up and he'll be rated.

You read on twitter and in the media there is this narrative that Bruno single handily dragged us to third. It's a narrative that is parroted everywhere from media to twitter alike. All the factors going into taking our form levels up got easily dismiss to parrot this narrative about Bruno being a solo act.

Pogba's return, Greenwood's rise on that RW, Martial consistency and step up etc, all of that just get easily dismissed to promote this narrative about Bruno. Obviously not everyone subscribed to that but the majority are, especially fans which is a shame because one would think fans out of all people ought to know better since they supposedly watch our games.

So I agree and feel there is merit in saying fans are gullible given the things they often say is media driven(Bruno single handily dragging us to CL football).

OldTrevil

I also started dismissing these fans vote when Pogba didn't win it last year instead of Shaw, then again Shaw also won the player's one so what the hell. But I feel like Pogba got shafted and he's always in a position where he has to do twice as well as anyone to be given any credit. Bruno is the opposite, he just has to show up and he'll be rated.

You read on twitter and in the media there is this narrative that Bruno single handily dragged us to third. It's a narrative that is parroted everywhere from media to twitter alike. All the factors going into taking our form levels up got easily dismiss to parrot this narrative about Bruno being a solo act.

Pogba's return, Greenwood's rise on that RW, Martial consistency and step up etc, all of that just get easily dismissed to promote this narrative about Bruno. Obviously not everyone subscribed to that but the majority are, especially fans which is a shame because one would think fans out of all people ought to know better since they supposedly watch our games.

So I agree and feel there is merit in saying fans are gullible given the things they often say is media driven(Bruno single handily dragging us to CL football).
Yeah, the Pogba hate bandwagon is too much and has really clarified the tools around us, especially most of the media where you have to be one to get ahead in this era. Shaw winning the players POTY in 18/19 I put it down to how divided our team was, as a united group would have come to the right conclusion on who was our best performer. It would either have to be that or the players as well being influenced by the media, which would be worse but also an indication of a divided group.

I love Bruno but he's part of a really good group that Ole has assembled, he definitely hasn't single-handedly dragged us to anything.

Tony247

I hope now people have realised true value of AWB playing week in week out last season and covering literally RB and RCB tirelessly, keeping all kind of threats in his pocket, safeguarding the team. He is always my POYT by a large margin.