g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Our wingers: need strengthening?

GM K

I think we should keep both Martial and Miki because along with Lingard and Rashford they are versatile. Miki in form would seal the right side whilst Martial can be both starter or back up on the left and up top. What is clear is that we need another player or two to provide unpredictability, pace and goals plus we need to significantly improve our fullback options - Valencia looks alright but my God the left back options are shocking and the Shaw project looks dead in the water.
You have a good point there.

Only thing is that the plan hinges on Martial and Mikhi getting back to form next season. We'll be in a mess if they don't. The assumption is that what we have seen this season from both is temporary rather than indicative of permanent inconsistency.We cannot afford another bad season from both of them.

GM K

Looks really good , like sadio mane. Super imprressed. High work rate, skill , good ball control , good delivery , goal scoring vision.

Where is our scouting network? We need a player like him. Worth getting this player. Letting him go would be another disaster like mane.
Jose recently waxed lyrical about Bruma. The lad has also said something about wanting to play for Jose. It also looks like his club wants him out. Good option. Skillful, strong and cheap. But if reports are to be believed, Jose might be more keen on Perisic who is a more accomplished wide man.

tomaldinho1

Mhki has to play central otherwise I just don't think he's good enough. His games on the right and left this season have been pretty average.

I would like to see Martial given another season to hopefully rediscover his form, Mhki at 10 and then buy a top attacking wide man for the right hand side. Mata + Mhki interchangeable + Lingard is a good back up as well.

itso 7

You have a good point there.

Only thing is that the plan hinges on Martial and Mikhi getting back to form next season. We'll be in a mess if they don't. The assumption is that what we have seen this season from both is temporary rather than indicative of permanent inconsistency.We cannot afford another bad season from both of them.
Agreed which is why I said we need another player or two in the mould of Mane... signing one wide forward won't necessarily end their United careers (Miki and Martial) but would provide us with insurance should either of them fail. But if our forwards continue to fail then we possibly need to look at the coaching and the tactical restrictions placed on the team. Right now we already have a structural issue in the squad i.e lack of a truly solid midfielder which stops us from committing many men forward and shit fullbacks on the left. If the latter improves then pur wide forwards drifting in won't be detrimental.

GwilDor

The way i see it, it's not as easy as necessarily replacing a single player. It is about the balance of the team. I think, for example, Mkhitaryan and Martial have the skills needed to be very successful for us, but they have not had the best circumstances to perform this season. For them (or anyone else for that matter) to be effective we need fullbacks with the licence to attack. I believe Mourinho has felt we have a problem with defensive balance, and he has limited the freedom of especially our left back to roam forward. This problem would for me stem from lack of balance in the 2-3 CM's in the setup. I think that if we had bought Kanté for instance, and had him shield the defenders in front of the likes of Herrera and Pogba, the fullbacks would be allowed more freedom, again giving the wingers more options.

So, to sum it up, i don't necessarily think buying another winger or two would solve our problems. I think we have bigger problems to fix in the summer. Mainly we need someone of the Kanté or Carrick mould (depending on the skills of the others in MF), and possibly a LB, depending on what Mourinho decides with regards to Shaw.

Btw, i don't think all our players are good enough, Lingard for instance frustrates me in every game he plays. He shines for brief moments, but then sees way out of his depth in the next. He is not technical enough for the winger pos, and lacks enough creativity/vision for the #10 position in my opinion. IMO he is acceptable as backup, to come on when we defend a lead etc. He has good workrate and decent counterattacking ability, but imo he should be a non-starter next season.

TehRed

I'd be happy with Martial and Mkhitaryan becoming our first choice wingers as both offer decent enough pace, can beat a man, and can finish. I've also got no problems with Mata getting games as cover, I think he's a great player, he just lacks the pace to command a starting spot with all other players fit. The issue I have is that after those three players, you're then looking at the likes of Young and Lingard. That's where we need the upgrade.

If we do sign a winger, I can see us getting someone who will be a big name starter, rather than someone who, with Mata, can be first choice backup for Martial and Mkhitaryan. It seems like that player might be James Rodriguez, and I know a lot of people would prefer us to sign Bernardo Silva, and neither of those players is going to play second fiddle to anyone.

My worry with signing a winger to be a starter is that it probably limits Martial's game time. Assuming we are signing a striker too, Martial seems like he'll be backup for both striker and winger. For me, he should be a starter.

Cathy Ferguson

I'd be happy with Martial and Mkhitaryan becoming our first choice wingers as both offer decent enough pace, can beat a man, and can finish. I've also got no problems with Mata getting games as cover, I think he's a great player, he just lacks the pace to command a starting spot with all other players fit. The issue I have is that after those three players, you're then looking at the likes of Young and Lingard. That's where we need the upgrade.

If we do sign a winger, I can see us getting someone who will be a big name starter, rather than someone who, with Mata, can be first choice backup for Martial and Mkhitaryan. It seems like that player might be James Rodriguez, and I know a lot of people would prefer us to sign Bernardo Silva, and neither of those players is going to play second fiddle to anyone.

My worry with signing a winger to be a starter is that it probably limits Martial's game time. Assuming we are signing a striker too, Martial seems like he'll be backup for both striker and winger. For me, he should be a starter.
Martial and Mhiki have great potential but they have mostly failed to deliver this season. If both of them had scored 4-5 more PL goals we might even be challenging for the title. I am disappointed with them but it is a tricky situation if we should trust them to improve next season or bring a new winger, unclear who though.

Von Mistelroum

Mkhi - very inconsistent and clearly suits the #10 better.
Mata - never a winger.
Martial - no confidence but could come good if his attitude improves.
Rashford - not a winger.
Lingard - squad player at best.

Yeah, I'd say we could improve a lot in that area. Our cross delivery is awful, and our wingers love running into opposition, hitting the first man with a cross, or just giving up and passing backwards.

TehRed

Martial and Mhiki have great potential but they have mostly failed to deliver this season. If both of them had scored 4-5 more PL goals we might even be challenging for the title. I am disappointed with them but it is a tricky situation if we should trust them to improve next season or bring a new winger, unclear who though.
With the money we spent on them, and the obvious quality that we all know they have, I feel like you have to be starting them. No way should be be spending the kind of money we spent on Martial for him to sit on the bench. No way should we sign the best attacking midfielder last season from the Bundesliga, and then sit him on the bench.

Mata - never a winger.
The problem here is that if we player a #10 to accommodate those guys, we're either switching to a 3-5-2 or we're going 4-2-3-1 and that means we don't get the best out of Pogba by playing him in a two-man midfield. That also gives us a lack of protection for the back four, as Pogba isn't that positionally disciplined. If you want to play either of those two as the furthest forward in a midfield three, again that should be Pogba's role. If you play them in the three and let Pogba be the furthest forward, then you're not getting the best out of them as you give them more defensive responsibility.

This is basically the reason that i'm scared we might sign James Rodriguez, as he's a wonderful #10 but I don't think we should be playing with one. He can play on the wing, but if we're going to sign a winger, there's better options out there.

prtk0811

Jose recently waxed lyrical about Bruma. The lad has also said something about wanting to play for Jose. It also looks like his club wants him out. Good option. Skillful, strong and cheap. But if reports are to be believed, Jose might be more keen on Perisic who is a more accomplished wide man.
Encouraging signs then, i too saw some articles about him wanting out and linked with us too along with hosts of other clubs with tottenham, southhampton and leicester. Really a great option as he can play anywhere left or right and even in centre somethimes.

Perisic on the other hand is older, Would not contribute in goal scoring and also expensive and will be still inconsistant. I dont think we will go for him. He's just an option down the list.

Michael John Doyle

Trust devilish to exaggerate 'a little'.

While I think Lingard is fine as a backup player, we need to have better options out there. We used to have the likes of Park and Nani as covers for the flanks. They would walk into the current side easily considering how inconsistent the likes of Mata, Mkhi and Martial have been playing this season.

We need atleast one who can do stuff on his own that would scare the living shit out of the defenders. That and fullbacks who can cross properly.
In fairness to Mata he's a CAM with limited pace and minimal def qualities (prob why Jose sold him at chelsea). Still an integral part of the squad tho. Very interesting to see who Jose has on his shortlist of wingers. Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Salah & Cuadrado all fine players.

barmyarmy

I think perisic would be a good option as i cant see any out and out winger available atm. Recent reports regarding mourinho watching croatia game and our scouts watching inter matches this might transfer might happen as long as he is 30-35 mil I would happily take him.

itso 7

I don't think that both options are mutually exclusive because we can certainly bring in a new winger and trust in them as both are quite adept in central roles. If we sign one wide player, preferrably a versatile one, he can compete with both should they turn up or play with both in a 4-2-3-1 with Miki as a 10 or Martial as a 9. Discarding them after the investments we have made in them is not an option we should entertain and neither should trusting unreservedly that they will turn up be one.

Fracture90

We got no wingers :lol: all we have is bunch of number 10's and CF's playing as makeshift wingers.

GM K

They certainly used to do it well but this season raised too much doubt in me. At a point, I got very frustrated with how poorly they were performing in terms of dribbling and first touches.

Like I mentioned before, I hope this season is not indicative of permanent inconsistent play for those two.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think it is important for our club to evolve with the game instead of trying to hold onto dead traditions(ie 4-4-2 with wingers). Wingers do not really exist anymore; wide players are expected to do much more for the team than punt crosses into the box so they have evolved into general wide forwards. Hazard, Neymar, Robben etc. are all well rounded in their game; they can beat a man and cross; the can cut inside and score/assist. Fullbacks are generally more important for providing width than wide forwards.

I don't think there is a problem if we play 4-4-2 but it will be a completely different 4-4-2 to what we expect. Mahrez was a 'winger' last season but he drifted centrally all the time and him cutting inside was so dangerous. Atletico play 4-4-2 but Griezmann isn't a dedicated striker and their wide players are often central midfielders rather than wingers.

prtk0811

Wingers do not really exist anymore;
Well i think they still do, But most of the managers are using them as wingbacks currently, because of lower work rates. Wilfried zaha is a traditional winger still catching headlines in epl with his performances this season.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Our wingers have been shite to average for years now.

Shocking to think of some of the players that have been regulars for United in the last decade.

Nanotron

Mata - never a winger.
Martial - no confidence but could come good if his attitude improves.
Rashford - not a winger.
Lingard - squad player at best.

Yeah, I'd say we could improve a lot in that area. Our cross delivery is awful, and our wingers love running into opposition, hitting the first man with a cross, or just giving up and passing backwards.
The proverbial shoe horn springs to mind lately when I think of Utd and wingers.
Not one of them is a winger. We don't have any.
None of them are any good there, some days they might do a job.

A winger who is, as good hugging the touchline and as comfortable going on the outside as inside, we simply do not have. That's one thing we have been missing for awhile now. Its an area in which we must buy this summer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If we allow our fullbacks to attack and overlap more frequently our wingers will look better. I think our squad is sorely missing quality FB's
This. Especially the leftback. I don't see the point in this one attacking, one defensive fullback tactic. Just ends up stifling our play from the left side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
After watching Mahrez today I am convinced he would be a good addition on the flanks. He's roughly thrice the player Lingard is.

Fosu-Mens

Looking at how the winners of PL, Serie A and most likely winner of La Liga, use of wingers is not touching the sideline and putting in crosses.
It is going "central" and supporting the strikers. And the traditional role/job of wingers that is talked about here is done by the fullbacks. So why not try to play the way the current most successful teams are playing.

As for strengthening; i would much rather us strengthen our fullbacks than our "wingers". And use them properly.
New LB: Emerson.
New RB: Aurier.

Neither of them should cost above 30£.

Dolf

When will Robben be transfer free? Just scored the winner (4-5) against redbull. We could use an experienced winger with a winner mentality.
Don't expect him to play more than 25% of the games tho since he will be injured the rest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Been saying we need a proper winger for ages. A reliable wide player to stretch teams and create chances. We just dont have that.

davidmichael

Of what we have I'd say that only Martial is a potentially great winger/inside forward so it's the right hand side we need to buy for so I'd say look at Dembele at Dortmund, Lucas Moura at PSG and Costa at Bayern if we can't sign the one who'd transform us in Bale.

3KDré

You don't need great wingers to be a good team you know. The width can be provided by the fullbacks. Spurs don't have a single 'winger' in their entire first eleven.

RAVred

You don't need great wingers to be a good team you know. The width can be provided by the fullbacks. Spurs don't have a single 'winger' in their entire first eleven.
You're right, fact is our fullbacks are quite poor going forward, even Valencia.

Thats why I think we need new players in both fullback positions, right back can rotate with Valencia constantly and Valencia's a versatile player that can come off the bench to put energy into the game with his pace and resilience.

Personally a traditional winger should be least of our priorities out of the main ones, but its still needed. If we have money left over I'd love Zaha back for around 20 million max, and if not the ideal would be lemar. But again, we desperately need 2 players that monaco have, their probably our best bets for those positions, a Mendy and Fabinho.

and i doubt their selling more than 2 to us, if not more than 1

Robben would be perfect for us... Absolutely rapid at 3-fecking-4 years old. Is a game changer, a lot of experience etc. But the fact is I highly doubt Bayern will sell one of their vets to us for the next 7-10 years at least.

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

This. Especially the leftback. I don't see the point in this one attacking, one defensive fullback tactic. Just ends up stifling our play from the left side.
Agreed. But going to be difficult getting a LB as so many teams in the market for one. And its also probably either Mendy or Fabinho and not both. I would have gone for Mendy and got Kessie instead but seems he's headed to Milan.

donkeyfish

Maybe a different type of winger, I don't think we need to upgrade on Mata or Mkhitaryan e.g.. But we could to with someone like Jesus Navas, since it will add some flexibility to how we play.

Obviously some gems in those positions around I'd take in a heartbeat if available, like Bale and Neymar. But not that likely.

ghagua

Wing is a tough position. The way to make it easier is by trying to form relationships between wingers & fullbacks.
We don't do that. It's basically, pass ball to wideman & there you go, you're on your own pal , win it for us.

There's not many players who'd thrive in such circumstances.
This!

ravi2

Yes 100%, I've been banging this drum on here since about 2014, or since it became clear Valencia was never going to be an attacking danger again. We've lost any kind of threat from the wing and it's needed sorting for years.
Any candidates? Which side?
We don't actually have any real wingers. Douglas Costa should update be available this summer and we should go all out for him. We need a pacy winger who can beat his man off the dribble and contribute a few goals as well and d Costa is that man.

OohAahMartial

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agreed. But going to be difficult getting a LB as so many teams in the market for one. And its also probably either Mendy or Fabinho and not both. I would have gone for Mendy and got Kessie instead but seems he's headed to Milan.
The left back kid at Celtic is very good and wouldn't cost a packet.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Think that's just based on personnel tbh.. look at his RM team. If anything you could say Marcelo at LB played attacking and RB was much more defensive. Valencia is our only decent FB going forward, and even then he refuses to take anyone on.
Yeah but that was the exception to the rule, because he had Marcelo; generally it's always been offensive rightback, defensive leftback.

I feel a lot of his issue with Shaw was his reluctance to curb his natural inclination to drive forward from leftback; adding Eric Dier, who's tactical intelligence and capacity to drop into a back 3 in possession has covered Walker/Rose's synchronised raids forward at Spurs for the past few years might open his mind up to a more symmetrical overlapping fullback ideology.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This. I'd play to our strengths, we don't have any great winger or any proper ones at all bar Youngy who finds himself as a LB most of the time. Utilise a formation without wingers, since we don't actually have any.

Don't be deceived by Martial and Lingard, Martial is a forward playing as a winger and doing a job, Lingard is a workhorse but doesn't have the quality required.

Personally I'd use 4312 formation, Rashford plays better in a 2, Pogba plays better in a 3, we have quite a few no. 10s in Mata, Mkhitaryan, Rooney. If we sign a LB that bombs forward like Valencia does, someone like Mendy and a CDM like Fabinho or Danilo Pereira to allow Pogba to do his thing then I can see this formation working. Especially if Griezmann comes in, him and Rashford could be devastating.

Main point is we don't need wingers.
maybe if you are watching the spurs game you'll see why we do. we are being ripped apart from the wide positions