Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

Bwuk

Definitely think Barca would consider him expendable if they sign Griezmann.

el3mel

He's a top talent and had loads of potential but was just unlucky with injuries this season. Have no doubt he's going to be immense for them if he has a run next season.

Griezmann should be replacing Suarez as he plays a his best central.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No way Griezmann spells the end of Dembele, it would be a massive feck up to, first buy someone for over 100M to get rid next season, but second and most importantly, to make space for Griezmann. They bring very different things to the table, that work well together. So long as Dembele stays healthy and keeps working hard, he will surpass Griezmann by getting rid of Ousmane. He just needs to cut out a lot of his dumb decision-making that comes as a young player; if he can manage that, he'll be a top 5 player within the next few years.

IrishRedDevil

RAC1: "The Club is probing several European teams to see if they would be interested in Dembélé''

Does he track back? :wenger:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Why would they sell him after just 1 year?

In any case, i can’t see Mourinho prioritize a young attacker right now.

Andersons Dietician

I think i’d Possibly forgive Jose for being Jose if he signed Dembele. There was noise last year that Jose liked him and had sent scouts to watch him and so on. Can’t see Barca selling him. Think they are more likely to try and mold him into a CAM

Hojoon

Why would they sell him after just 1 year?

In any case, i can’t see Mourinho prioritize a young attacker right now.
If Griezmann comes as expected then it's hard to see him, Messi, Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele all get consistent game time and they are all probably on significant wages.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

If Griezmann comes as expected then it's hard to see him, Messi, Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele all get consistent game time and they are all probably on significant wages.
That’s true. It just seems like horrible planning to me.

cyberman

Any move would need to be top loaded with clauses.
80m plus 20 if he's top 5 Balon Dor etc

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
News these days are complete nonsense, after his double a week back, there's articles saying Messi wants him to be his successor and sees big things for him in the future. The game after that, an average/poor game, he has no future at Barcelona and they are looking to off-load him. I think it's all a lot of noise about nothing. Barca would lose all credibility if they spend a near world record fee on a youngsters and sell him off a year later. The fans wouldn't be happy either as Dembele is widely recognized as one of the future bright spots on the team. I think Suarez will be the one left out of the equation, maybe not this year but the next so they'll have some growing pains and internal issues dealing with all of these players for a few spots, but with Iniesta gone and Messi possibly dropping deeper in central midfield, then it's four players for three spots, which becomes much more manageable.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Still don't think he is a Barca player and maybe they start to realize this, too. He's amazing at times and he makes you believe he can do everything with the ball only to screw up easy touches, being too quick for the ball and misplacing simple passes five minutes later. And his decision making in general is underwhelming.

Could he be a Mourinho player? I don't really know. Think he never had such a player type. Di Maria in his RM days probably came closest.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They're not stupid. They bought him because he's the closest thing to Messi on his day. Not the finishing nor the freekick, but the dribbling is out of this world. Not as pretty as Neymar but just as effective. Forget the Messi-Salah comparisons, they're not close.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
I think if he leaves, he will join Liverpool or PSG. Klopp wanted him before he moved to Dortmund. I don't think he would be a good fit for United.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Still don't think he is a Barca player and maybe they start to realize this, too. He's amazing at times and he makes you believe he can do everything with the ball only to screw up easy touches, being too quick for the ball and misplacing simple passes five minutes later. And his decision making in general is underwhelming.

Could he be a Mourinho player? I don't really know. Think he never had such a player type. Di Maria in his RM days probably came closest.
His decision making and consistency isn't great because he's 20 and he was injured half of the year while adapting to a new team. He's already very good and it's so obvious he's going to be a star.

What do you mean when you say you don't think he's a Barcelona player?

Silas

They're not stupid. They bought him because he's the closest thing to Messi on his day. Not the finishing nor the freekick, but the dribbling is out of this world. Not as pretty as Neymar but just as effective. Forget the Messi-Salah comparisons, they're not close.
Plays nothing like Messi.

goin4glory

closest thing to messi? that's honestly hilarious

PoTMS

Wait, what?

Swift Football

If Barca indeed wants to get rid of him, how much will they value him? They got him for very expensive (about 100M), I doubt they will be willing to take a huge hit just after a year, instead they will keep him in their books for a year.

They will want some 70M at least. And I doubt any club want to spend that kind of money this year for him when he was far from his best and plagued by injuries. But i agree that he is not ideal fit for Barca.

For United, I do not see him doing any better than Martial, but dont see us spending around 70M for him this season.

Sanche7

If Barca indeed wants to get rid of him, how much will they value him? They got him for very expensive (about 100M), I doubt they will be willing to take a huge hit just after a year, instead they will keep him in their books for a year.

They will want some 70M at least. And I doubt any club want to spend that kind of money this year for him when he was far from his best and plagued by injuries. But i agree that he is not ideal fit for Barca.

For United, I do not see him doing any better than Martial, but dont see us spending around 70M for him this season.
Lol, 70 million?
They look at City spending 58? million on an uncapped defender, Pool spending 75 million on a 27 year old CB and think l, yeah we should ask for 70 million for one if the best youngsters in the world football who we bought just last year for 110 million !
PL Teams spending insane money on mediocre players has raised the asking price for players, especially when it's a PL team that's asking.
The only reason they want to get rid if him now is because they are trying to get back as much money as possible.

Also if the reports are true, Barca are going down a bad road.
Buys a player ( who IMO never suited their style of play ) for a world record fee, that too after the player goes on strike, doesn't show up to training, throws a tantrum to get the transfer.
And then barely a year later, they are thinking of selling him!
He has struggled with injuries all season and they should give him another year.

This shows the absolute lack of planning going on at Barca. Buy the best player available, even if they don't suit your style, especially if they are young.
If it doesn't work out,sell them ASAP and buy the next best available player.
They have started to completely ignore their academy and at the same time have become more and more dependent on an ageing Messi.

And just think of Dembele. All the sh*t he had to do to get this transfer, to reduce the fee and what he gets is one year? For all his loyalty, he gets thrown away after one year to fund their new shiny toy in Griezman! What message does that send to their future targets?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
closest thing to messi? that's honestly hilarious
Nope, dribbles exactly the same. Drops his hips, whole body feint, shuffles, eliminates 2,3 players at will. I never said he could take free kicks, shoot or pass at the same level though.

Swift Football

Lol, 70 million?
They look at City spending 58? million on an uncapped defender, Pool spending 75 million on a 27 year old CB and think l, yeah we should ask for 70 million for one if the best youngsters in the world football who we bought just last year for 110 million !
PL Teams spending insane money on mediocre players has raised the asking price for players, especially when it's a PL team that's asking.
So how much do you think Barca wants for Dembele in case they decide to get rid of him?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Nope, dribbles exactly the same. Drops his hips, whole body feint, shuffles, eliminates 2,3 players at will. I never said he could take free kicks, shoot or pass at the same level though.
Utter nonsense, they don't even have close to the same dribbling style. Their close control and centres of gravity are worlds apart. Hazard/Iniesta are Messi-type dribblers. Body feints and shuffling the ball isn't exclusive to Messi, any half decent dribbler worth their salt uses those techniques.

Sanche7

So how much do you think Barca wants for Dembele in case they decide to get rid of him?
At least 15-20 Mill more. One year of bad performances doesn't drop a player's price by 40 mill pounds especially as he is still very young with loads of talent.
85-90 million would be my guess.

Swift Football

At least 15-20 Mill more. One year of bad performances doesn't drop a player's price by 40 mill pounds especially as he is still very young with loads of talent.
85-90 million would be my guess.
I dont see any club spending that much money on Dembele but Barca would want somewhere close to that. At around 85-90M, the buying club will see him as a 'risk', even though he is a top talent. Its not like Dembele had 3-4 stellar seasons before this season either. Thats what I was talking about when I said Dembele is not going anywre this season because his valuation would vary wildly between buying club and Barca, and at the end, barca would just keep him for another season and see.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Liverpool will get Dembele and we'll probably get Willian

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Utter nonsense, they don't even have close to the same dribbling style. Their close control and centres of gravity are worlds apart. Hazard/Iniesta are Messi-type dribblers. Body feints and shuffling the ball isn't exclusive to Messi, any half decent dribbler worth their salt uses those techniques.
Is it the Salah bit that bothers you? Hazard and Iniesta don't dribble like Messi. They are great dribblers but they don't have the same style. You watched him last week?

Sanche7

I dont see any club spending that much money on Dembele but Barca would want somewhere close to that. At around 85-90M, the buying club will see him as a 'risk', even though he is a top talent. Its not like Dembele had 3-4 stellar seasons before this season either. Thats what I was talking about when I said Dembele is not going anywre this season because his valuation would vary wildly between buying club and Barca, and at the end, barca would just keep him for another season and see.
Yeah as I said buying Griezmann now shows how poorly Barca are planning their transfers.
They can't really afford to keep Dembele as he will be mostly out of the team with Griezmann coming in.
If he has another bad year, his value will drop even further.
Also after all the trouble he went through to get this transfer over the line, to fulfill his dream of playing for Barca, don't think Dembele is ready to move on so early.
They are in a real pickle regarding this transfer.

I don't even know why they need Griezmann. Yeah he is a great player, technically very good but he plays a #10 which Coutinho can easily play or RW, for which they have Dembele. Do they really need another 90 million attacker who has been playing the majority of his career in a counter attacking set up?
IMO they should focus on their midfield and try to lure someone like Thiago. And the funny thing is I read somewhere that Thiago would like to go back to Barca but apparently Barca are not interested!

Sanche7

Liverpool will get Dembele and we'll probably get Willian
Its possible but if no one leaves and with Fekir deal almost done, where on earth is Dembele going to play?
Salah said last week that he is staying, so are they going to break up an attacking trio with good understanding between them and on their day are among the best in Europe to introduce a youngster who has been largely meh over the last year and would probably cost nearly 90 million?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its possible but if no one leaves and with Fekir deal almost done, where on earth is Dembele going to play?
Salah said last week that he is staying, so are they going to break up an attacking trio with good understanding between them and on their day are among the best in Europe to introduce a youngster who has been largely meh over the last year and would probably cost nearly 90 million?
Dembele is still young and Salah won't stay forever. Its 1 year max for him.

Its a shame we don't go for him. Unfortunately I think Mou had returned to buying players on the wrong end of their 20s again (Sandro, Toby, Willian etc)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I wouldn't worry about it, this is as likely to happen as Neymar going to Real Madrid like every newspaper was saying which will turn out to be just a lot of ink spilled over nothing. If there's any truth to Dembele being mentioned to other clubs, it's in a loan situation, and even that part I really doubt as well. They are not going to sell one of their most talented player after an injury-filled first season in a new team/country. Barcelona can be stupid, but they're not that dumb. It would reflect extremely poorly on their board, to their fans, and to other young players they may be targeting in the near future. It's fun to talk about, but this ain't happening.

Sanche7

Dembele is still young and Salah won't stay forever. Its 1 year max for him.

Its a shame we don't go for him. Unfortunately I think Mou had returned to buying players on the wrong end of their 20s again (Sandro, Toby, Willian etc)
Doesn't really matter IMO. Dembele would need assurances regarding playing time. Why would he swap benches based on an assumption that Salah could leave next year?

I don't think Sandro (27) and Toby (29) are in the wrong end of their 20s. They are in their primes.
Willian I agree, but Willian is a proven quantity and would cost 40 million, Dembele had one good season, at Dortmund where everyone from Kagawa, Mikhi and many others have looked like world beaters only to get found out playing in a different system.
Spending 80-90 mill on a player like Dembele could be a big risk especially when we have 5 other positions in need of re enforcement.
Loan with an option to buy is a no Brainer, but why would Barca agree to that?
Also the guy clearly wants to play for Barca only and if he is bring forced out, I don't really know how he would do here especially since there have been questions regarding his mentality and diets.

Dembele was stuck in a hotel for several weeks, without being able to go to the training ground, alone in the Catalan city. His time was taken up playing video games and phoning his friends and family in France.

The problem became bigger when the club discovered his bad eating habits, those of most young kids.

Barça intervened to help him organise his life in a manner more fitting of a top-level footballer, moving him away from his fast-food diet. "He must use Samuel Umtiti as an example, who has a more monastic life. Dembele's a kid of 20 years, a millionaire in a city with a lot of temptations. A little order in his life would do him good," a source from the club told Le Parisien.

Dembele asked for three flats in Barcelona, on top of each other. One for him, another for his father and the third for his mother -- they are separated. The petition couldn't be attended because the club couldn't find a suitable option. Finally, they found a flat in the north of the city, where it's normal for his friends to spend a lot of time with him.

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...-dembele-complete-his-complex-landing-6644112

Making big demands, poor lifestyle, thinking that he has already made it - none of this would work well with Mourinho.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I dont know but it seems, if griezmann goes to Barca, suarez will be the one that will be shipped away to a team like bayern or psg. Both are easy leagues with just ucl being a priority.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I dont know but it seems, if griezmann goes to Barca, suarez will be the one that will be shipped away to a team like bayern or psg. Both are easy leagues with just ucl being a priority.
I agree, I think Suarez stays another season and then will be gone. I don't know if they'd pull the trigger this summer with him though.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I agree, I think Suarez stays another season and then will be gone. I don't know if they'd pull the trigger this summer with him though.
I believe it will depend largely on griezmann deal as it will definitely not be a cheaper one and specially a transfer to direct rival.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think Suarez turning around his season will save him from the chopping block this season, leaving it up to Dembele to decide whether he's cool with being a permanent bench player next season or whether he needs to move on. At the moment he seems like a terrible fit for Barca's style of play but it's becoming harder to define exactly what that is, so might not be such a problem long-term. Must be weird for Barca fans having someone who can dribble so exceptionally but so often makes terrible decisions afterwards, after having Messi for so long.

Aboutreika18

I think Suarez turning around his season will save him from the chopping block this season, leaving it up to Dembele to decide whether he's cool with being a permanent bench player next season or whether he needs to move on. At the moment he seems like a terrible fit for Barca's style of play but it's becoming harder to define exactly what that is, so might not be such a problem long-term. Must be weird for Barca fans having someone who can dribble so exceptionally but so often makes terrible decisions afterwards, after having Messi for so long.
They might as well have kept Adama Traoré and saved the money.

Sanche7

Does signing Griezmann solve any problems for Barca?
I think signing him creates more problems in the squad especially regarding Dembele and trying to fit everyone in.
Also I read he's going to be on 340,000 a week with transfer fee being a bit higher than the release clause as Atletico are not ready to let him go to their rivals.
Do they really need another attacker on sky big wages?