Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some fans turning their nose up on Dembele sums it up. He has more talent in his toe then Dan fecking James and before he joined Barcelona he was arguably to me that best youngster in the world alongside Mbappe.

We are in no position to look down on any footballer right now, especially one as talented as Dembele is. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs.
I think are underestimating how talented he is. Only issue Sancho was the complete package - consistency, mentality, intelligence and fitness to go with ability. But if we have made a mockery of that I'd rather go for players like Demebele who have top class ability than the other names people have suggested.

cj_sparky

I thought United had begun moving away from certain players, looking for people who want to play for the club, have the right attitude and don't just want an obscene wage.

Irrational.

Option 1 - Sancho (undoubtedly the best RW we can or seemingly cannot buy)
Option 2 - Dembele with option but at a reasonable price
I think we just have to accept that buying Sancho in the present is simply beyond us. It would be fruitless, in the same way as us putting in a bid for Mbappe. He's unobtainable at present and Dortmund have held firm. We aren't just going to shell out £100 million+ on a single player with the hit our finances are going to take over the next season or two. And neither are any other club, at least until the Covid situation is clarified (Chelsea an exception to the rule as they had money left over from Hazard and two seasons' worth of transfer funds) and football finances recover somewhat.

The next best option is surely Dembele.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd take the obligation to buy contingent on him completing 45 games or more. We can't be obliged to keep a player that can't stay fit. However, if he proves he can play the bulk of our games over a season why wouldn't we keep him? At his best he's a brilliant player.
If Barcelona price him at 100M, why would United agree to that option after turning their noses at paying 108M for Sancho? This after walking away from the Reguilon deal over even lesser terms of disagreement.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I thought United had begun moving away from certain players, looking for people who want to play for the club, have the right attitude and don't just want an obscene wage.
I thought people have learned not to believe everything they read

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd take the obligation to buy contingent on him completing 45 games or more. We can't be obliged to keep a player that can't stay fit. However, if he proves he can play the bulk of our games over a season why wouldn't we keep him? At his best he's a brilliant player.
I think we can potentially sign him out right because Barca need to raise funds. His contract has two years to run so unless they offer him a new contract his value will fall significantly after the close of the current window.

Wayne's World

I think are underestimating how talented he is. Only issue Sancho was the complete package - consistency, mentality, intelligence and fitness to go with ability. But if we have made a mockery of that I'd rather go for players like Demebele who have top class ability than the other names people have suggested.
I'd have no problem accepting Dembele as an alternative provided Barcelona give an reasonable option to buy fee. Also means we could spend proper money on a LB and a CB before the window closes and actually improve areas in the squad that we badly need.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Any prices being quoted? A season long loan for ~£10-15m wouldn't be terrible business, with optional buy clause after that.

Santos J

I'd say he's potentially as good as Sancho, injuries permitting. He looked an absolute world beater at Dortmund in the same way that Sancho does currently.

Let them keep Sancho and his ridiculous €120 million valuation for a player who has achieved the square root of feck all.
Wouldn't say he was looking as good as Sancho did, granted he was a bit younger and that was a few years ago now. His injury record is abysmal, Barca would still want £50m+ and for a player who's missed 80 games as a result of 9 different injuries over the past 2 and a half seasons it's mad money.

ShinjiNinja26

Some fans turning their nose up on Dembele sums it up. He has more talent in his toe then Dan fecking James and before he joined Barcelona he was arguably to me that best youngster in the world alongside Mbappe.

We are in no position to look down on any footballer right now, especially one as talented as Dembele is. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs.
His talent isn’t the issue, he’s a very talented player that’s never been in question. It’s his attitude problems and the fact he’s constantly injured that’s the issue.

Irrational.

Starting to think this way as well. Without United I genuinley struggle to see who is in the market for Sancho next year. Chelsea maybe? Even then I dont think so.
Chelsea are stacked to the eyeballs with forward players.

Realistically you'd be thinking Madrid, City, PSG, Liverpool. But all depends on the financial situation next year.

If it is true that we have agreed terms with Sancho already then why not take Dembele on loan for a season and then go back in for him next summer? We should be in a better position financially (Covid permitting) and he'd have a year less on his contract. We may have more competition but surely we'd be ahead of the pack to sign him. Alternatively the Dembele loan works out and we're in a win-win situation.

Bestietom

We have 12 days left to get players in and out. Most fans would like to see a LB, CB, and RW brought in before deadline. We certainly need improvement in these 3 areas. Let's see if Woodward now forgets chasing Sancho (not for sale this season) and brings in more players.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We are the only club who can match Barca for being totally idiotic in transfer market. So yeah, I can totally see us agreeing for 100M for a talented but perma crock player who has questionable attitude instead of paying 120M for Sancho, someone who doesn't have these issues and actually wants to join us.

Irrational.

Maybe but that was a few years ago now and his injury record is abysmal, Barca would still want £50m+ and for a player who's missed 80 games as a result of 9 different injuries over the past 2 and a half seasons it's mad money.
Hence why an initial loan deal makes the most sense, and say an obligation to buy if he hits a certain number of appearances.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This move could potentially be similar to when Bayern and Inter bought Robben and Sneijder from Madrid IMO.

RUCK4444

He doesn't turn up to training and when he does he's crocked. I'll turn my nose up to that all I want thanks fella.

Edit; He also epitomises a player who wouldn't be here if he had other options. Di Maria type signing written all over it.

Pav1878

Totally agree with this. The guys has the talent, no question. We need to get the best out of him, and I am hopeful we can, given how Ole has got a tune out of Martial, Rashford (pre lockdown!), Greenwood who are all young attacking players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very interesting Sancho alternative. Gamble, for sure, but so would spending pretty much all our cash on Sancho. I hope his injury issues aren't persistent and more from Barcelona's management.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Barca won't agree to that because the player has only 2 years remaining on his deal.
Well in that case, see how they respond to a £35m deal under the clear understanding that it's as high as we're going or we go elsewhere/stick with what we've got.

Giggsy13

Barca need wages off the book to buy so they would likely take a loan deal with an obligation to buy next year. Dembele has Martial and Pogba at the club so I’m sure there’s interest from him in playing here. He’s only 23 and still has a chance to reignite his career. Ole has a done well coaching up our attackers and could do the same with Dembele.

rotherham_red

For me Dembele in full flow is a better player than Sancho. He's more explosive and with his technique and genuine two footedness he could be a fantastic acquisition on the right hand side.
Agreed. In terms of talent, I'd actually rank him a smidge higher than Mbappe. It's just a question of whether we can mould him in to that player from the raw tools he possesses.

If we had any ambition as a club we'd get both him and Sancho.

Kajus

We are the only club who can match Barca for being totally idiotic in transfer market. So yeah, I can totally see us agreeing for 100M for a talented but perma crock player who has questionable attitude instead of paying 120M for Sancho, someone who doesn't have these issues and actually wants to join us.
Not to be picky, but Sancho also has a questionable attitude. But at least he's not injured most of the time, so there's that.

Infestissumam

I'd happily loan him for a year, certainly wouldn't buy him at this point. Way too injury-prone and unreliable.

Wayne's World

He doesn't turn up to training and when he does he's crocked. I'll turn my nose up to that all I want thanks fella.

Edit; He also epitomises a player who wouldn't be here if he had other options. Di Maria type signing written all over it.
You swear every single big name that joins the club will be a Di Maria or Sanchez? Would you turn your nose up on Thiago since he's a big name?

There's a reason there's a gap between Liverpool and City. He's been totally mismanaged by Barcelona, forcing him to come back from injuries too early when his not ready. The only reports of him and his "attitude" is from Barcelona newspapers feeding an agenda against him

Redcy

hhaha jesus Dembele... undoubtedly one of the most talented youngsters around when he plays and trains....

Which he barely has done inthe last year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You swear every single big name that joins the club will be a Di Maria or Sanchez? Would you turn your nose up on Thiago since he's a big name?

There's a reason there's a gap between Liverpool and City. He's been totally mismanaged by Barcelona, forcing him to come back from injuries too early when his not ready. The only reports of him and his "attitude" is from Barcelona newspapers feeding an agenda against him
He is known for his poor time keeping and he has indeed overslept a few times. But the same thing is known about Sancho who also overslept last week.

RkkMan

Starting to think this way as well. Without United I genuinley struggle to see who is in the market for Sancho next year. Chelsea maybe? Even then I dont think so.
Chelsea are stacked to the eyeballs with forward players.

Realistically you'd be thinking Madrid, City, PSG, Liverpool. But all depends on the financial situation next year.

If it is true that we have agreed terms with Sancho already then why not take Dembele on loan for a season and then go back in for him next summer? We should be in a better position financially (Covid permitting) and he'd have a year less on his contract. We may have more competition but surely we'd be ahead of the pack to sign him. Alternatively the Dembele loan works out and we're in a win-win situation.
Liverpool when one of Salah/Mane are off to PSG to replace Mbappe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This move could potentially be similar to when Bayern and Inter bought Robben and Sneijder from Madrid IMO.
I have that feeling too. I'm just not sure about his drive and ethic. Would be nice if a Barcelona fan weighed in on that. Players with his sort of ability, just need it to click and they can't be caught. If he realises his potential he's going to destroy PL fullbacks.

I won't pretend that he's suddeny preferable to Sancho who IMO has it all. But still, this is worth considering.

Clermontois

Supports
France
If we can get him that would be massive and a surprise because I know French players are watching how our current crop are treated. We will see if it happens but anyone who says Sancho is better than Ousmane in any shape or form has not been taking their meds.

Last edited:

Matriac

Would only want him on a loan with no obligation to buy.
And only if we can't get Sancho this window.
Then evaluate in the spring if we want to bring him on a perm or keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.