Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabeasC

Would be a very disappointing alternative if we don't get Sancho. Just read the Barca Forum thread on him - sounds like they would be keen to get rid of him.

Denis' cuff

Well, we signed Pogba who missed practically the whole season and we might get 10 mins of football out of him, occasionally, when fit. Pity we didn’t the other day.

can do without another.

The lad plays five games and is out, regularly, and seemingly has no desire to play. There is no way Barca are selling for anything under 80m, it would be a disaster on their accounting. They heavily rely on the valuation of players to keep the club finances going. Selling Dembele for a massive 70-90m loss isn't happening (35m is only about 10m more than they would want as a loan fee). The best we could see is a loan with an obligation to buy, they are not going to let us just loan him even to get his salary and if they do we should probably be wary anyway.

Would love to see him come good, but if we go down that route we are still looking to spend 80m. Has shown nothing but to like to be out of the game on a regular basis.

Sounds exactly like the kind of thing we would do.
Where are you getting that from?

croadyman

Would be a very disappointing alternative if we don't get Sancho. Just read the Barca Forum thread on him - sounds like they would be keen to get rid of him.
Doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad player though,sometimes a change of environment and surroundings can do wonders for a players confidence.

EwanI Ted

We would be insane to buy Dembele with his injury record. His talent is irrelevant when he’s on the treatment table all the time.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Would be an amazing addition to our squad. Monumental player.

His injury issues are not as bad as some make it out to be.

croadyman

How do you convince Barca to make it loan with obligation to buy only if he completes a certain number of games though,surely if they can understand us being wary of paying €100 for a player who needs to prove his fitness.

Santos J

He's had 7 separate injuries (2 of which are recurring ones) over the past 2 seasons, missing a total of 53 games. That's pretty bad.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd be a bit worried about adding an expensive player with a history of attitude problems who has at times shown a lack of professionalism into an unsettled environment such as United's right now.

He'll be copying all of Pogba's bad habits in no time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's had 7 separate injuries (2 of which are recurring ones) over the past 2 seasons, missing a total of 53 games. That's pretty bad.
Yep and this is reportedly our main Sancho alternative.

Brilliant work, United. Brilliant.

Lee565

I hope this isn't true because if it is then fans should be seriously worried as we obviously ain't learning sod all when it comes to player recruitment, this screams of the club still having a pathetic scatter gun transfer policy, though I'm sure there will be plenty of moronic united fans on twitter celebrating such a transfer and praising woodward because dembele is a "big name" signing.

this guy has been just as big of a flop for Barca as coutinho except coutinho is professional, not injured every few weeks and has actually proved he can deliver in the premier league, the only place dembele has really looked slightly good was at Dortmund for just 1 season before barca panic brought him but let's not forget that the likes of kagawa, mkhitaryan and sahin all looked far better at Dortmund than he did.

God if we really are this desperate then why didn't we try to sign james Rodriguez, bale or even perisic who can all actually play well on the right before thinking signing this unprofessional and injury ridden flop.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Barcelona price him at 100M, why would United agree to that option after turning their noses at paying 108M for Sancho? This after walking away from the Reguilon deal over even lesser terms of disagreement.
As I understand it, we've turned down spending £108m on Sancho. Barcelona wants €100m for Dembele not £100m. That's about £20m less than what Dortmund want for Sancho. If Barcelona can be more flexible about the payment schedule than Dortmund as well, I can see this deal being done.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He is exactly the kind of late panic-buy flop season all saw us making.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As I understand it, we've turned down spending £108m on Sancho. Barcelona wants €100m for Dembele not £100m. That's about £20m less than what Dortmund want for Sancho. If Barcelona can be more flexible about the payment schedule than Dortmund as well, I can see this deal being done.
The gap between £108M and €100M is far less than the gap between Sancho and Dembele. There are more red flags on Dembele than the old Soviet Union.

Judas

Open to offers
There's no way we'd buy him, a loan, maybe, but it would be mad to spend all summer going for Sancho and then spend near enough the amount required on him, on someone else.

Craig Ward

Difference is, Sancho is worth the money whereas Dembele most certainly is not.

Spending any form of money on Dembele is crazy. Guys injured all the time, hasn't cut it at a big club and doesnt fit the type of signing Ole wants (young, hungry, willing to learn)

If you read above, he's missed 53 odd games over 2 seasons with 7 injuries. What on earth do you spend 80mil on that for?

More importantly, he's all hype and no substance. Have you seen him play for Barca? Woeful at best. He's very over rated, seems to lack common football ability, has no game intelligence and relies on moments of brilliance to mast the fact he;s actually pretty ordinary. Barca paid for his potential - they've got this one wrong and we shouldnt be so lazy to think he is the answer.

I'd rather go without than sign Dembele

dev1l

Re price I m sure Barca will go much lower than 100m. Thing is, a player who is injured all the time is worth literally nothing.

Chief123

A fit Dembele wouldn't even have been available for Utd.
If there is a serious medical problem then the transfer would fail anyway. But I guess the loan option (with a mandatory number of appearances in order to be obligated to buy) would let us use him for a year and work out whether he is worth keeping.

If he turns out to be a flop then he simply won’t make many appearances and we can ship him back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bloody hell that's awful.

Just pay 120 for Sancho FFS

dinostar77

Injury proness can change with club, environement, training methods. Juventus diagnosed an underlying medical issue for Evra that utd didnt find for two years. It helped prolong his career and allowed him to continue to play at a high level.
Robben was known for having glass legs at chelsea. Look at how long he played i jury free for Bayern.

I'd rather have Dembele in than no-one. Yes he has had had a few injury hit seasons, but hopefully the club should be able to get to the bottom of that. His attitude has been less than exemplary, fair enough. Hes a young kid with a stupid price tag on his head when he moved.

There are downsides to him for sure, but and its a big but if you can get him to knuckle down and play consistently and deliver. What a player we could have on our hands. If fans were allowed back in the stadium he'd have them on their feet down the touchlines.

Hopefully we can negotiate a loan with option to buy, if it is an obligation then thats more risky but if we can (start laughing now) knock the price down then it would be worth pursuing.

Chief123

If Dembele price is anywhere near 100m euro then I don’t see Utd doing the deal.

We would not spend 3 years trying to get Sancho and then choose an alternative high risk signing for just 20m euro less. There would have to be a considerable distance in price for us to do any kind of deal on a permanent basis with Dembele.

I would seriously be shocked if we spent anything more than £70m in any kind of permanent deal.

acrebo

This seems a pretty transparent attempt to suggest to Dortmund we have alternatives...

thomas porter

if we get him on loan with an option to buy I'm for this deal. See if he can prove himself in the EPL and stay injury free and then maybe buy him; if not he'll give us depth on the wings and an injection of pace on the wings when healthy.

100% opposed to a loan with an obligation to buy though.

Santos J

This seems a pretty transparent attempt to suggest to Dortmund we have alternatives...
More likely it's just a load of shite, doubt our plan to pressure Dortmund is to give Duncan Castles a call and tell him to run a story in the Daily Record.

Status
Not open for further replies.