Out of control dogs/dog attacks

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
well that’s a lot more palatable, I’d seen an earlier article where they suggested that once they became illegal they wouldn’t be able to be rehomed and ultimately would all have to be put down.
Which I'd be all for. If you are going to pass legislation because a breed is too dangerous for members of the public to own then there shouldn't be any leeway. There are many instances of dogs that have no history of attacking people who then go on to do so in an isolated incident. Fortunately in most of these cases the dog isn't a 60kg pitbull. Let's not forget that the guy who was mauled to death yesterday by 2 XL bullies wasn't attacked by dogs off their leash in public; the dogs jumped out of a window to attack the man and his 80 year old mum. Had this dog got the exemption then it would have happened anyway given the dogs weren't in public before they attacked so weren't leashed and muzzled.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Can’t see anything in that Guardian article about mass euthanasia of the dogs?
Sorry, I'd been reading several different articles and the only hard mention of mass euthanasia came from Kenneth Baker, the Home Secretary who introduced the original Dangerous Dogs Act, who has long since left government:

Baker said that when the ban came into force, existing XL bullies should be “neutered or destroyed”, and that any allowed to live should be “muzzled for the entire time”. He went on:
They should be removed from the dog-loving public as soon as possible. They have no role in that range of domestic dogs. There are some breeds that should not be part of the dog-loving public.
The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 is often cited as an example of poor legislation. Like the XL bully ban, it was announced in response to a series of dog attacks that received prominent media coverage and it was rushed through parliament.

Under the original legislation, banned dogs had to be destroyed, and courts did not have any discretion in cases where owners were arguing that their dogs had no history of violent behaviour. That led to a spate of newspaper stories about affectionate family pets supposedly being put down without justification.

Subsequently the act was amended to give the courts some discretion, and the legislation is now viewed more favourably.
Even the bit you quoted contains so many potential pitfalls for the dogs though. Firstly, how readily will these certificates of exemption be granted by the authorities? Secondly, they're then completely at the mercy of their owners actually abiding by the muzzling requirements etc. Not to mention the many scumbag owners who wouldn't even dream of applying for the certificate in the first place who will have animals seized and probably killed. It might well be for the greater good, but I do find it heartbreaking that innocent animals will end up being killed over this. As usual though, I'm not exactly teeming with workable alternative ideas.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
This is the worst part. Most of these dogs will be perfectly good pets that are in the hands of good owners who love them and have trained them correctly. Yet because of a small section of fecking idiots who treat them like shit and train them to be overly aggressive as some sort of status symbol to make them look hard everyone else has to suffer and have their beloved innocent pets taken away from them to be destroyed, it’s fecking bullshit. Also the term “destroyed” has always bothered me as it makes it seem like you’re dealing with some inanimate object rather than a living breathing animal.
Yep, I'd originally written 'destroyed' rather than killed, but I dislike the term in that context for the reasons you stated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry, I'd been reading several different articles and the only hard mention of mass euthanasia came from Kenneth Baker, the Home Secretary who introduced the original Dangerous Dogs Act, who has long since left government:

Even the bit you quoted contains so many potential pitfalls for the dogs though. Firstly, how readily will these certificates of exemption be granted by the authorities? Secondly, they're then completely at the mercy of their owners actually abiding by the muzzling requirements etc. Not to mention the many scumbag owners who wouldn't even dream of applying for the certificate in the first place who will have animals seized and probably killed. It might well be for the greater good, but I do find it heartbreaking that innocent animals will end up being killed over this. As usual though, I'm not exactly teeming with workable alternative ideas.
Animal welfare is a weird one. You kind of have to put your emotions to one side and think about the bigger picture. Massive deer culls can have transformationally positive effects on wild land, where they cause devastating damage in the absence of natural predators. Basically once humans start fecking with nature we often end up in situations where the only way to reverse bad shit we’ve created is killing a lot of animals. Which seems grim if you love animals but it is what it is. This breed is a man made aberration that has been proven to be horribly dangerous. So we have to do our best to at least try to put the genie back in the bottle.

At the end of the day they are “just” dogs. And I say this as someone who owns a dog and loves him more than life itself (well, more than my wife anyway)

hobbers

Breeding these dogs is a front for drug dealers half the time.
The majority of breeders at least some sort of connection or are directly involved with criminals. One of the biggest breeder networks for XLs is run by a guy from prison who headed up a county lines gang.

Jack-C20

Will be interesting to see how much this affects the rates of dog attacks. Whilst any XL bully has the potential to be dangerous I’d wager that it’s far more likely to be dangerous in the hands of certain people and those certain people won’t give a damn about these new rules.

There needs to be serious reforms on dog ownership and breeding. We’re on our 11th foster dog now and ten of them have been in foster care because of thick cnuts who shouldn’t have been allowed a dog. Or because someone took on that one extra dog to do a friend a favour who suddenly decided it was a good idea to breed their dog and now can’t get rid of the puppies.

Banning these dogs won’t do much I feel but it’s a step in the right direction. Licenses to breed any dog is the next step.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
At the end of the day they are “just” dogs. And I say this as someone who owns a dog and loves him more than life itself (well, more than my wife anyway)
The UK‘s relationship with dogs has always been weird though. Way more so than other countries. I’m a dog person, grew up with dogs, both parents & in laws have dogs, but even I can see the slightly infantilised way people here treat dogs like their kids (or expect other people to see them as such) is slightly barmy. If a bunch of purpose bread big cats were mauling people on the street we’d have culled them on day 1& probably sold tickets.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Change the fecking laws, banning breeds isn't going to do shit. Case in point this breed popping up from nowhere, they'll eventually be another one.

9/10 it's the cnut who owns the dog that's the problem. Every owner should need a license and be vetted in some manner.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The UK‘s relationship with dogs has always been weird though. Way more so than other countries. I’m a dog person, grew up with dogs, both parents & in laws have dogs, but even I can see the slightly infantilised way people here treat dogs like their kids (or expect other people to see them as such) is slightly barmy. If a bunch of purpose bread big cats were mauling people on the street we’d have culled them on day 1& probably sold tickets.
It is quite barmy. I still think about that thread posted on here a few years ago titled "How to cope with losing a child" and the thread was about his dog dying naturally of old age.

Wilt

Dogs that are bred to kill. Handguns would be more controllable.

Obviously, they should be banned.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Without really checking the news I thought this included the American Bulldog which is a lovely dog. The XL bullies I've struggled with myself. My friend has got a really nice one, but you can't help but be nervous around it due to the possibility of them switching quickly. Obviously all dogs are capable of that quick snap, but some more easily than others.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Says it all when someone who is doing her very best to portray these dogs as completely harmless lets this slip…

How would a 60+kg try to “protect” someone, I wonder?
Yep, the owner says she doesn't see anything wrong but she clearly doesn't see much of anything. The bit about how the dog just licks the baby's face all of the time annoyed me. FFS, the first result on Google for this behaviour is from the American Kennel Club...

Dogs may lick a baby’s face for a variety of reasons. It may be trying to play with the baby, or, it could be trying to assert its dominance over the child. Either way, this behavior should not be allowed for health and safety reasons.

tomaldinho1

How would a 60+kg try to “protect” someone, I wonder?
Therein lies the issue and with a lot of other dogs as well. You have centuries of breeding dogs for specific purposes and then in the relative recent past the sudden change to house pet and a life of minimal exercise and stimulation for most.

The ironic thing is the best dogs for pets are the cheapest and most common, people literally just buy dogs now for their looks and then wonder why their Weimaraner is ripping up the sofas because he’s not tired after a 30min walk in the park or why their collie nips kids’ heels.

El Zoido

Ever notice how owners of these kinds of dogs always say “oh they’re sooo adorable and sweet” and then you look at them and they look like literal demons dredged up from the pits of hell.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Therein lies the issue and with a lot of other dogs as well. You have centuries of breeding dogs for specific purposes and then in the relative recent past the sudden change to house pet and a life of minimal exercise and stimulation for most.

The ironic thing is the best dogs for pets are the cheapest and most common, people literally just buy dogs now for their looks and then wonder why their Weimaraner is ripping up the sofas because he’s not tired after a 30min walk in the park or why their collie nips kids’ heels.
Gun dogs like setters, pointers and weimaraners do need lots of exercise but they are about as safe as dogs get, have lovely personalities and get fat fecks like me off their arses for a couple of hours a day. Everyone should have a Gundog.

What is this personal space that you speak of?

Last edited:

Wilt

Gun dogs like setters, pointers and weimaraners do need lots of exercise but they are about as safe as dogs get, have lovely personalities and get fat fecks like me off their arses for a couple of hours a day. Everyone should have a Gundog.

What is this personal space that you speak of?

Irish Red and White Setter ….nice

Wilt

They are lovely. We have love both of our lunatics.
If they’re anything like Irish red setters, they are indeed handsome but bonkers!

We have German Shorthaired Pointers ….lovable, nuts and require a lot of handling.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If they’re anything like Irish red setters, they are indeed handsome but bonkers!

We have German Shorthaired Pointers ….lovable, nuts and require a lot of handling.
A bit less insane than Red Setters but only slightly. Lovely dogs who love you unconditionally.

Gundogs are in general gorgeous.

Wilt

A bit less insane than Red Setters but only slightly. Lovely dogs who love you unconditionally.
They are indeed lovely.

We treat our GSP’s like family, very much loved and they do as they like!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I actually find dogs incredibly annoying and want them to be properly regulated. Too many owners in parks like me act like they’re a completely safe and loving animal - they all need to be on leads and owners should be made to look after them properly. The amount of dogs of any breed that come and jump around my baby does my head in.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I actually find dogs incredibly annoying and want them to be properly regulated. Too many owners in parks like me act like they’re a completely safe and loving animal - they all need to be on leads and owners should be made to look after them properly. The amount of dogs of any breed that come and jump around my baby does my head in.
My setters love babies. They taste awesome.

To lick, not eat.

I would never let my dogs interact with kids/babies without parental permission

Last edited:

Lee565

When the ban comes in place, instead of putting all living Bullies down, why not make it mandatory to de-teeth all existing ones still in the country Whilst it may be seen as cruel and a tad extreme, it's still far more kinder than ending their lives abruptly.

The banning whilst an unfortunate necessity, it does not tackle the real deep rooted issues of like so many men who own these dogs doing so because of a real insecurity of their masculinity

TheLiverBird

Ever notice how owners of these kinds of dogs always say “oh they’re sooo adorable and sweet” and then you look at them and they look like literal demons dredged up from the pits of hell.

Most owners of these dogs are from chavvy council estates dressed worse than Ali G

I also agree, the dog looks hideous, just a muscle bound bulk of destruction waiting to destroy.

I’m a dog person so far as I’ve had dogs when I was younger, and wouldn’t mind another dog eventually in the future when I’m in a position I have the time too properly look after one. But I never got the deal with these XL bullies, horrid looking things.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I actually find children incredibly annoying and want them to be properly regulated. Too many owners in parks like me act like they’re completely safe and loving brats.They all need to be on leads and owners should be made to look after them properly. The amount of feral children of any breed that come and jump around my fox red lab does my head in.

Ted Lasso

Thought I was in the police thread for a minute.

Raising and maintaining disciplined dogs even in the most friendly breeds is well beyond the ability or care of most owners. Kind of a useless idea but what do we think of requiring say 30 hours of training and a certification before getting a license to own particular breeds? Forget how well it would be received - would it help reduce incidents?

Alternatively if you don't like preventive measures how about stronger punitive ones. More serious criminal and financial sentence for when it goes wrong.