Out of control dogs/dog attacks

MiceOnMeth

The comments on twitter are nauseating.So much defending of these shit beasts and absolutely no sympathy for the poor woman who was savaged

Bert_

The comments on twitter are nauseating.So much defending of these shit beasts and absolutely no sympathy for the poor woman who was savaged
She shouldn't have wondered into their territory. When venturing into the wilderness you have to accept the risk that wild animimals might atttack you. Where did this happen again?

Edit - being unfair to dangerous wild animals here. They generally avoid confrontation with humans. These geniticaly engineered monsters have had that disposition bred out of them.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Seeing as it's now an offence to breed these animals (they're all supposed to have been neutered or spayed by now) or sell them, I hope people who ignore the law will get an appropriately heavy prison sentence when someone is maimed or killed by their dog. I won't hold my breath, though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Weird that you don't have a licensing requirement in the UK. Local councils look after it here and there are usually annual renewal or lifetime registration options. Microchipping is compulsory and registration is usually much cheaper if you dog is desexed. Rangers will give you a ticket of you don't register a dog although enforcement varies. If however your dog does attack then you will cop a far bigger fine/sentence of your dog is also unregistered and your dog will have far greater chance of being put down. Dogs that are deemed dangerous can have special conditions placed on them including annual expensive licensing, approved/inspected fencing/enclosures enforced, muzzling in public and any further incidents will be costly (or involve prison if really serious) and your dog risks being put down.

And attacks still happen of course. We have banned a number of breeds, American Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, and Perro de Presa Canario, and I assume there are more to follow. I have no idea how they enforce it with cross breed complexities and other issues.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Music video featuring the dog owner and probably the dogs that mauled Esther Martin.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Mentioned this in the thread before about people I know sitting on the same potential powder keg in their home.

In this instance, it sounds like the dogs were triggered by the partial stranger handling their pups... probably acting in protection. Obviously protection with two of those at you - especially as a defenseless granny - is likely to be fatal.

I think the guy is being truthful, except the bit he omits where he is breeding the puppies for a fortune. There's no way he'd leave his son in a scenario where he believed he could lose he life, no matter what he thought of the granny (unless he's a psychopath), so it's yet another cautionary tale that I don't think moves the dial for many who own these as pets.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Mentioned this in the thread before about people I know sitting on the same potential powder keg in their home.

In this instance, it sounds like the dogs were triggered by the partial stranger handling their pups... probably acting in protection. Obviously protection with two of those at you - especially as a defenseless granny - is likely to be fatal.

I think the guy is being truthful, except the bit he omits where he is breeding the puppies for a fortune. There's no way he'd leave his son in a scenario where he believed he could lose he life, no matter what he thought of the granny (unless he's a psychopath), so it's yet another cautionary tale that I don't think moves the dial for many who own these as pets.
That’s a tough watch. Impossible not to feel for him.

A friend of mine has one of these dogs, she's continually asking me to come over with my 2 year old to see her and her kids. Feck that!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
“feel for him” ???

He knew what those dogs were capable of. How about feeling for the poor woman they slaughtered.
It’s not an either/or situation. I’d be absolutely certain he assumed his dogs would never kill anyone. And know he’s dealing with an 11 year old son who’s already lost his mum and just saw his gran killed in front of him. Oh and both his dogs are dead too. Plus he’s the one on camera, hence his personal trauma is what I’m actually watching. That obviously doesn’t mean I don’t care about anyone else affected.

I think it’s possible to feel compassion for him on a human level while also thinking these breeds are a huge problem and anyone who buys one is making a serious mistake (and they’re often bought for stupid/shallow reasons).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s not an either/or situation. I’d be absolutely certain he assumed his dogs would never kill anyone. And know he’s dealing with an 11 year old son who’s already lost his mum and just saw his gran killed in front of him. Oh and both his dogs are dead too. Plus he’s the one on camera, hence his personal trauma is what I’m actually watching. That obviously doesn’t mean I don’t have any compassion for anyone else affected.

I think it’s possible to feel compassion for him on a human level while also thinking these breeds are a huge problem and anyone who buys one is making a serious mistake (and they’re often bought for stupid/shallow reasons).
The fact that he didn’t know they were dangerous is worrying on so many levels.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He doesn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the box. He does look like a completely broken man though. Who’s been dealing with a lot of heavy shit.
Yeah, who could have thought gigantic dogs bred for killing could kill someone? Poor little man.
He wasn’t too dumb to understand the dangers. He just didn’t give a shit.

Wilt

It’s not an either/or situation. I’d be absolutely certain he assumed his dogs would never kill anyone. And know he’s dealing with an 11 year old son who’s already lost his mum and just saw his gran killed in front of him. Oh and both his dogs are dead too. Plus he’s the one I’m on camera, hence his personal trauma is what I’m actually watching.

Who gives a shit about the dogs. He didn’t even bother to register them.

That poor woman is dead and it’s 100% down to him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, who could have thought gigantic dogs bred for killing could kill someone? Poor little man.
He wasn’t too dumb to understand the dangers. He just didn’t give a shit.
Nah, we all know plenty of these owners buy into the idea that their dog isn’t dangerous because their dog has been properly trained blah blah blah. “He’s big softie”. “Wouldn’t hurt a fly” “Great around kids” We’ve had some of them post in this thread. I don’t agree with them but that’s a very different mentality to “my dog might kill someone but I don’t care”

hobbers

He knew how dangerous his dogs were.

Why else would he use them in a drill music video :lol:

Maybe he was breeding a litter to have more props for his videos (and then make thousands selling them obviously)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Nah, we all know plenty of these owners buy into the idea that their dog isn’t dangerous because their dog has been properly trained blah blah blah. “He’s big softie”. “Wouldn’t hurt a fly” “Great around kids” We’ve had some of them post in this thread. I don’t agree with them but that’s a very different mentality to “my dog might kill someone but I don’t care”
I never said he didn’t care his dogs killed someone. I said he didn’t care that they could kill someone. He wilfully and without any consideration for anyone but himself bought these monsters and didn’t give a shit about anyone’s security. He knew the dangers involved but didn’t care.
And you’re deluding yourself if you actually buy that these people don’t know how dangerous these monsters are. They know. That’s why they buy them. They just don’t think they’ll hurt anyone that matters to them.

Wilt

I think you need to re-read my posts. And/or work on developing some empathy.
How the feck can anyone have empathy? He knew what those dogs were bred for ….like a ticking time bomb. Lucky the boy wasn’t killed as well, the poor lad will probably suffer nightmares the rest of his life.

“Empathy“ my arse!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
How the feck can anyone have empathy? He knew what those dogs were bred for ….like a ticking time bomb. Lucky the boy wasn’t killed as well, the poor lad will probably suffer nightmares the rest of his life.

“Empathy“ my arse!
You answered your own question. He’s the father (single parent, after the boy’s mum died) of that poor lad.

The internet is so weird. Someone shares a video of another human being who is clearly devastated and saying “that’s a tough watch” suddenly means you condone all his life choices. Compassion isn’t allowed. Everyone is a good guy or a bad guy and the bad guys are one dimensional villains with no humanity in them at all. Am I doing this right?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You answered your own question. He’s the father (single parent, after the boy’s mum died) of that poor lad.

The internet is so weird. Someone shares a video of another human being who is clearly devastated and saying “that’s a tough watch” suddenly means you condone all his life choices. Compassion isn’t allowed. Everyone is a good guy or a bad guy and the bad guys are one dimensional villains with no humanity in them at all. Am I doing this right?
The internet is indeed weird. Now there’s some dude rambling on and on because others don’t show empathy with a dude responsible for some dogs mauling an old lady.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s a bit odd that in a thread where the main thrust is (correctly) that we should have more sympathy for humans than for dogs, people are resolutely refusing to have any sympathy at all with a human:

It’s perfectly possible to watch that and have a degree of empathy for him, whilst also agreeing that he’s a fecking idiot. Also it wasn’t some random woman on the street he got mauled, it was his mother in law who’d specifically come round to help look after the dogs and said she’d be fine with it. So I don’t know who this kinda tabloid righteous anger is even on behalf of exactly?

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Correct. The world is a complicated place, isn’t it?
I think what’s irritating to people is how easy it is for you to show empathy with this (at best) dumb moron who caused the death of an innocent person, yet have shown no empathy whatsoever for the victim.
I also find your defense of the man to be very condescending, as you are somehow claiming him to be too stupid to understand that dangerous dogs are indeed dangerous.
You aren’t just showing empathy with him based on the situation he’s in and the choices he’s made. You are actively searching for excuses for these so very obvious (again at the very best) stupid choices. Which is a little weird.

If you weren’t making excuses for his horrible and despicable actions, I wouldn’t even mind your point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It’s a bit odd that in a thread where the main thrust is (correctly) that we should have more sympathy for humans than for dogs, people are resolutely refusing to have any sympathy at all with a human:

It’s perfectly possible to watch that and have a degree of empathy for him, whilst also agreeing that he’s a fecking idiot. Also it wasn’t some random woman on the street he got mauled, it was his mother in law who’d specifically come round to help look after the dogs and said she’d be fine with it. So I don’t know who this kinda tabloid righteous anger is even on behalf of exactly?
Maybe they haven’t watched the video? That’s the only plausible explanation. To actually watch that video and come away thinking nothing other than “feck that guy” is borderline sociopathic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think what’s irritating to people is how easy it is for you to show empathy with this (at best) dumb moron who caused the death of an innocent person, yet have shown no empathy whatsoever for the victim.
I also find your defense of the man to be very condescending, as you are somehow claiming him to be too stupid to understand that dangerous dogs are indeed dangerous.
You aren’t just showing empathy with him based on the situation he’s in and the choices he’s made. You are actively searching for excuses for these so very obvious (again at the very best) stupid choices. Which is a little weird.

If you weren’t making excuses for his horrible and despicable actions, I wouldn’t even mind your point.
I’m being condescending? At least I’m not calling him “(at best)dumb/moron”.

And we know for a fact that he is either someone who doesn’t think things through very well or genuinely didn’t think his dogs were very dangerous (most likely a bit of both). We know that because he decided to leave them in the care of an elderly lady and his 11 year old son!