Film Overrated movies

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Scarface.

Maybe I was a bit young when I watched it, but I dunno, it wasn't that great.
Now, by great, every lad at school 'loved' this movie. I dunno, maybe it coincided with rap peaking, but yeah I didn't get the hype.

Would rather watch The Untouchables anyday

AkaAkuma

Drive - I would say style over substance, but even the style has been overhyped.

Zen

Why would that make a difference?

Basically did you watch it with or without knowing the reveal is the real question. The amount of spoofing and similar reveals mean that if you have watched it after like 2000 for the first time means that it's more obvious than it was back in the late 90's.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I am just curious. Did you watch it at the time the movie came out? Or at a time when Kevin Spacey was more widely known?
Later on.
Of course it could have something to do with it, but the crippled story teller being the main badguy is kind of expected. It was very entertaining and the last part was still awesome (to see how he put together the story). Great film, but overrated for me because those I know who mentions it, talks about it as a greatest of all time kind of film.

Northstand

The Big Lebowski. Watched it about ten years ago and was totally underwhelmed. After reading a spate of rave reviews I recently gave it another viewing and still fail to grasp why the film, whilst having its moments, is so highly rated.

Wittmann45

Later on.
Of course it could have something to do with it, but the crippled story teller being the main badguy is kind of expected. It was very entertaining and the last part was still awesome (to see how he put together the story). Great film, but overrated for me because those I know who mentions it, talks about it as a greatest of all time kind of film.
I love the movie, and it is one of my favourites to watch, but that is fair, I'd say. It is so often discussed as one of the greatest movies of all time, and it simply is not up to that standard. Great story, good, quick pace, great acting, and some nice moments of comedy thrown in, but not one of the greatest films ever.

AkaAkuma

Scarface.

Maybe I was a bit young when I watched it, but I dunno, it wasn't that great.
Now, by great, every lad at school 'loved' this movie. I dunno, maybe it coincided with rap peaking, but yeah I didn't get the hype.

Would rather watch The Untouchables anyday
It doesnt pack much of a story, but its an iconic film:

Great soundtrack
Silly get rich 80s montage
Make way for the bad guy speach
Sunset wallpaper
Ends in a hail of bullets and a splash in the fountain.

While untouchables is a decent slightly plodding story with connery in tweeds.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I love the movie, and it is one of my favourites to watch, but that is fair, I'd say. It is so often discussed as one of the greatest movies of all time, and it simply is not up to that standard. Great story, good, quick pace, great acting, and some nice moments of comedy thrown in, but not one of the greatest films ever.
Yeah, that's pretty much it for me. Absolutely a great movie, but also overrated.
Admittedly, one of the reasons i picked it, is because it is a great movie - and people seem to think overrated means it has to be shit.
(since most often when i read these types of threads, it's about bashing movies for being shit.)

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I find movies that were underrated tend to get overrated with time. Like with The Big Lebowski, when it first came out it was underrated a lot. This then lead to people overrating it later on to sort of balance out the underrating of it, rather then rating it where it should have been.

dsch

It's not aged well, the sets and costumes look poor.
The acting is pretty poor and cheesy at times
I suspect that the wow-factor at the time covered up the poor acting (though the script did the actors no favours) and stilted pacing.

Edit to add this:

Drive - I would say style over substance, but even the style has been overhyped.
I don't know if we're supposed to be defending movies in this thread, but I loved Drive. There wasn't a lot happening, but there was a lot going on quietly. Here's an insightful video I liked:

Last edited:

Irrational.

That 'twist' was fresh 20 years ago. In movie it was also frequently alluded. It's certainly not the point of the movie.
What would you say was the point of the movie? (genuine question)

I don't know, people were raving about how amazing it is but maybe it's just me - I didn't get it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What would you say was the point of the movie? (genuine question)

I don't know, people were raving about how amazing it is but maybe it's just me - I didn't get it.
The story itself is about a person trying to connect with other people. He fights himself and the club fights each other as a way of asserting themselves, showing that they are capable in the eyes of the higher power (that is their bosses).

It shows the dangers that a human is capable of.

That's not why most people like it though. It has Brad Pitt, it has "You don't talk about Fight Club". It's gritty, it's different and exciting. It's cool and it finishes off with a twist.

Lyricist

the Fast and Furious series
Gravity
Oldboy
Saving Private Ryan
every super heroe movie bar Kick Ass 1 :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's shit.

I think Hectic described Ryan Gossling's movies pretty well:

I reckon if you could take enough still pictures of Ryan Gosling from all angles, you could make several hit movies out of them over a period of about 5 years before needing to update the images for age purposes. I'm not even sure if he needs to blink, fans would just attribute that as the ultimate form of acting.

AkaAkuma

I suspect that the wow-factor at the time covered up the poor acting (though the script did the actors no favours) and stilted pacing.

I don't know if we're supposed to be defending movies in this thread, but I loved Drive. There wasn't a lot happening, but there was a lot going on quietly. Here's an insightful video I liked:
Defend a film, you may have made me contemplate re-watching it. Have you seen nightcrawler, for me thats the film I was expecting to see when I watched Drive.

dsch

Defend a film, you may have made me contemplate re-watching it. Have you seen nightcrawler, for me thats the film I was expecting to see when I watched Drive.
I haven't seen that. I think part of the problem with Drive is that it is a very different film from what you might expect. It doesn't help that the Ryan Gosling fan mob will defend it to death without offering any coherent reasons.

Sparky Rhiwabon

The amount of mentions for Avatar here goes to show that it is not "overrated" ironically. I think people may be confusing this with the amount of money it made, purely because it was the first movie to really nail proper 3D.

Will Absolute

Agreed. A decent enough film but the "best film ever ever" tag it seems to have gained is very odd.
It's a pure, old-fashioned Hollywood play on the audience's basic emotions. A good man suffers a terrible injustice, is deprived of liberty for many years and struggles to retain even human dignity, but finally emerges triumphant, with all his detestable enemies receiving a satisfying comeuppance.

In the narration, Morgan Freeman says that life is not a fairy tale. But the movie is.

The film probably got an extra fillip from the highly sympathetic Freeman/Robbins, black/white (unacknowledged) relationship at its core. Hard to believe that the Freeman role was originally written as white - if they had gone with that, the movie's impact would have been diminished. Apart from the racial dynamics of course, Freeman was great in the role.

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

I haven't seen that. I think part of the problem with Drive is that it is a very different film from what you might expect. It doesn't help that the Ryan Gosling fan mob will defend it to death without offering any coherent reasons.
I did expect a different film, which may have swayed my dislike alittle - but im not a fast and furious petrol head.

I'll give it another try.

dsch

I did expect a different film, which may have swayed my dislike alittle - but im not a fast and furious petrol head.

I'll give it another try.
Hope you get more out of it second time round! Roger Ebert called it "a rebuke to most of the movies it looks like." I haven't read a review (even--perhaps, especially--the glowingly positive ones) that quite do it justice. Here are a couple of good lines from this one: "Ms. Mulligan gives Irene an air of bittersweet expectancy; you're not sure, because Irene isn't sure, whether she's awaiting pleasure or pain. ... Then there's Mr. Gosling, and the ongoing mystery of how he manages to have so much impact with so little apparent effort. ... He and this powerful film, which is ultimately about a moment of grace, deserve each other. He's the medium's most graceful minimalist." I think the last line captures it: It's about a moment of grace, one you need to believe in but which you're not sure exists. You don't know if it has happened and you've missed it, or if it's still to come.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Blah blah blah.

It was dull hipster rubbish. Gosling has the acting ability of a brick.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That 'twist' was fresh 20 years ago. In movie it was also frequently alluded. It's certainly not the point of the movie.
The "twist" was just as stupid 20 years ago. And it couldn't be the point of the movie because there was no point to that movie.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Deer Hunter. I loved this movie the first time I watched it when it came out (I was 14/15) but when I watched it again a year or two later I realised that it wasn't deep at all just slow and patronising. The Russian roulette scene in particular.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Blah blah blah.

It was dull hipster rubbish. Gosling has the acting ability of a brick.
The "twist" was just as stupid 20 years ago. And it couldn't be the point of the movie because there was no point to that movie.
Although to be fair it got worse from there on in.
The Deer Hunter. I loved this movie the first time I watched it when it came out (I was 14/15) but when I watched it again a year or two later I realised that it wasn't deep at all just slow and patronising. The Russian roulette scene in particular.
Well aren't we a happy camper.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was being generous. You should hear what I really think of Drive and Fight Club.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have a deep seated dislike for Ryan Gosling. Met him many, many times and I could only surmise that he's a smug cnut.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I don't think I've ever found a so called "great" film to be terrible. They usually sit somewhere between "decent" and "great". And most the time it's highly dependent on my mood.