Owen Hargreaves - The Pundit

luke511

He's always been pretty rational in his punditry amidst the bullshit pundits.

Looking back Hargreaves couldn't have been more spot on, he had a bad start to punditry but now I'd say he's one of the best.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not related with Hargreaves but I was listening to Higginbotham during the Wolves vs Newcastle and he says the right things related with the game without being repetitive or one of those who artificially gets overexcited with a ball being passed to other player.

Crimson King

He was brilliant that season we won the double. I had never realised how quick he was before he signed, and he took a decent free kick too.

He was so desperate to play for United and to do well for us, it's such a shame that we only got to see him at full tilt for a limited time before the injuries pretty much destroyed him.

People will remember some of what was said towards the end, and his time at city, but I'd love peak Hargreaves in the team right now.

ricky-romeo

that double season we got Carrick, Hargreaves,Scholes, Fletcher and Anderson to choose from for our CM which was incredible, and to think that the signing of Hargreaves in the summer of 2007 was actually the last proper midfield signing from Sir Alex...

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel like I’m gonna regret wasting a few minutes of my life watching that moron.
I thought he came across really well in it, mate.

I loved hearing about how close the dressing room were. Whenever that topic comes up from around that era, you always hear about Evra, Park and Tevez's friendship. It may be an unpopular opinion but I wish we could've kept Tevez.
Not ashamed to admit it, he was my favourite player in the 07/08 season. Nice to see him say how much the United shirt meant to him.
"That was the ultimate dream - to play for Man United" :drool:

I honestly wasn't expecting him to be as positive about us as he was.
that double season we got Carrick, Hargreaves,Scholes, Fletcher and Anderson to choose from for our CM which was incredible, and to think that the signing of Hargreaves in the summer of 2007 was actually the last proper midfield signing from Sir Alex...
It is crazy to think! Especially when you remember he was here until 2013 after that! We were very lucky that Scholes was a generational talent, and that Carrick aged like a fine wine.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Loved Hargreaves if it wasn’t for injury he would be remembered as a United great .. very underrated player.

RUCK4444

Loved Hargreaves if it wasn’t for injury he would be remembered as a United great .. very underrated player.
A United great? Really?
I always thought he was a good, well rounded midfielder but he never had a huge impact and was constantly injured.

Also I remember him slagging the club out, something along the lines of us using him like a guinea pig for new treatment when we were trying to get him fit from his constant injuries.

I dunno, just couldn’t warm to him.

Judas

Open to offers
If things had been different health wise, he had everything to be a very loved Utd player, who people still talk about today. Sad it was such a disaster.

SirAF

Ageist
My only memory of Hargreaves, apart from the obvious FK and PK, was outside OT after a match in 2008. He was signing autographs for fans and a guy wanted him to sign a 20 note which prompted him to ask «You gonna spend it?» :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A United great? Really?
I always thought he was a good, well rounded midfielder but he never had a huge impact and was constantly injured.

Also I remember him slagging the club out, something along the lines of us using him like a guinea pig for new treatment when we were trying to get him fit from his constant injuries.

I dunno, just couldn’t warm to him.
We never saw him at his full potential. A fully fit Hargreaves for me would have ended up a more important player than Carrick. Less gifted but much more effective in the very big games and we would have won more CLs. We saw like 20% of him.. his mentality at his very best was exceptional.

Ekeke

Very overrated player. Failed at CM with us, converted to a fullback and occasional wide midfielder. Couldnt stay fit and then joined our rivals City

Alabaster Codify7

I loved him as a player but my attitude really soured towards him after he left. We basically paid him to be injured for years, paid for all his rehab etc then when he left he barely had a good word to say about us and seemed to almost consider himself the victim in the whole relationship.

RUCK4444

We never saw him at his full potential. A fully fit Hargreaves for me would have ended up a more important player than Carrick. Less gifted but much more effective in the very big games and we would have won more CLs. We saw like 20% of him.. his mentality at his very best was exceptional.
Yeah I agree he was a good player technically and would love a player like him in the squad now.

I think in the end I was so frustrated at his injuries it tarnished the appeal of him as a United player. Then his sarky comments about treatment I didn’t like considering he was basically paid huge amounts of money to sit on a hospital bed, didn’t see how that was United’s fault.

I do rate him as one of the better pundits, although didn’t rate him as a commentator, perhaps that’s why BT moved him to the presenters room where he is better reviewing the game.

I like that he has his own opinion and doesn’t necessarily go along with the other more clueless pundits.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like him. Liked him as a player and appreciated what he brought to the team, shame that injuries ruined his career.

I like his punditry too. He has his own opinion and doesn't just agree with everyone else, which I respect. I find he is quite balanced too, and while he may have been bitter in the past I don't find that these days.

I enjoyed that video. Nice to hear his comments about United.

poleglass red

Definitely got better as a pundit, which wasn't hard as to start of with he was terrible. I don't mind him at all now, which I think is more of a reflection on the terrible pundits we currently have across the various outlets. He has an insight into british and european football which is different to other options. His accent is weird, actually annoying at times, but in modern day punditry he's okay.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
As a Canadian I always hated Hargraives for turning his back on his country and that hasn't changed...
Yeah but he drank tea and had Sunday roast.

I never warmed to Hargreaves for some reason, may well have been press swinging my judgement at the time.

he was a good player though

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Played a blinder against Barca in that semi final. Think he was a makeshift RB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah but he drank tea and had Sunday roast.

I never warmed to Hargreaves for some reason, may well have been press swinging my judgement at the time.

he was a good player though
Hargraeves career started off with him being massivley under rated and finished with him being massively over rated because of a couple games for England where he made some big tackles. My bias against him aside, I always thought he was at his best when playing at RB. He was solid defensively and had a good right foot. And his biggest asset was that he was truly a utility guy who could play in several positions. We miss having a guy like that on our team now. Liverpool has it with Milner and we used to have it with P Neville, then O'Sea and Hargraeves. We haven't had that kind of player in quite a long time now...but he was never as good as some on here will have you believe. At his peak our best midfield was still Carrick and Scholes. Hargraeves would fit in somewhere between Fletcher and Anderson...