Owen vs Shearer

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Could get juicy.

Also I don’t remember the Liverpool link, has Owen just revealed that or made that up?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Shearer was 10 times the player

Fingeredmouse

They were rumours that Robson was trying to shift him to Liverpool in the summer before Robson got sacked if memory serves.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Even if he wanted out, still Shearer was loyal to Newcastle. He rejected at that time by far the best club in England to sign for the club he supported and scored so many goals.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bound to be an interesting clash, with these two involved.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I didn't know there was such bad blood between them. Owen makes some interesting points about Shearer's Geordie Legend credentials perhaps being over-inflated; as well as his reply there's this quote from Owen's book posted in the thread:

“Alan Shearer once told me that playing for Newcastle was like ‘wowing children with balloon animals’. I lost a lot of respect for him. He bottled his career. A coward of a man.” Michael Owen, Reboot (2019)

EDIT: This was posted in the twitter thread under Shearer's comments, but it seems to have been deleted. Probably not a real quote, sorry for posting it here without checking it out. I deserve to be forced to watch Mickey Owen's punditry and Dubai helicopter video on a loop for the foreseeable future.

I get the feeling it's two ego-driven dickheads having a slanging match, but I'm tempted to back Shearer as Owen did become a shameless mercenary towards the end (the Newcastle move, signing for us, the brochure etc.).

Even if he wanted out, still Shearer was loyal to Newcastle. He rejected at that time by far the best club in England to sign for the club he supported and scored so many goals.
:lol:

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Could get juicy.

Also I don’t remember the Liverpool link, has Owen just revealed that or made that up?
Outstanding isn't it. Couldn't happen to two nicer people, or a nicer club.

Oggmonster

Shearer was 10 times the player
I don't think anyone is disputing that, even Owen in fairness.

True, but when he signed for Newcastle they'd just missed out on the league the year before and he was the most expensive signing in the world. It's a big statement of intent at the time and he may of felt they were on the cusp of big things (they did nearly win a league.) It is some what loyal to go to them but if he stayed cos no one could match the transfer figure for example I wouldn't say that's massively loyal, more that no one could match the valuation so he was stuck. I don't think it's beyond belief he wanted to leave.

His first season they were 2nd then after that 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th. They never really came close to winning the league either so although in hindsight I think he has obviously got this loyal tag I still reckon he may have a few regrets about not joining a big club.

roonster09

Scout
I didn't know there was such bad blood between them. Owen makes some interesting points about Shearer's Geordie Legend credentials perhaps being over-inflated; as well as his reply there's this quote from Owen's book posted in the thread:

“Alan Shearer once told me that playing for Newcastle was like ‘wowing children with balloon animals’. I lost a lot of respect for him. He bottled his career. A coward of a man.” Michael Owen, Reboot (2019)

I get the feeling it's two ego-driven dickheads having a slanging match, but I'm tempted to back Shearer as Owen did become a shameless mercenary towards the end (the Newcastle move, signing for us, the brochure etc.).

:lol:

:lol: never using that phrase again.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shearer > Owen.

Owen talking about bottling a career when he barely had a career after 25.

roonster09

Scout
True, but when he signed for Newcastle they'd just missed out on the league the year before and he was the most expensive signing in the world. It's a big statement of intent at the time and he may of felt they were on the cusp of big things (they did nearly win a league.) It is some what loyal to go to them but if he stayed cos no one could match the transfer figure for example I wouldn't say that's massively loyal, more that no one could match the valuation so he was stuck. I don't think it's beyond belief he wanted to leave.

His first season they were 2nd then after that 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th. They never really came close to winning the league either so although in hindsight I think he has obviously got this loyal tag I still reckon he may have a few regrets about not joining a big club
Was there any news about Shearer wanting out? I don't remember reading any.

Also he could have run down his contract and signed for other clubs on cheap.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Handbags are out now.

roonster09

Scout

Handbags are out now.
Tbf to Owen, if Shearer left out the relevant part and posted video out of context then he deserves all the shit he gets.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I can’t see how this can end badly for us.

Either one kills the other, they both kill each other, they both have a fight live on air, one loses their contract or they both lose their contract.

Most likely is celebrity boxing match though I reckon.

Oggmonster

Was there any news about Shearer wanting out? I don't remember reading any.

Also he could have run down his contract and signed for other clubs on cheap.
Not that I remember but it's not something I'd remember in all honesty. It seems odd to randomly bring up a story about him moving to Liverpool though.

Maybe he could, but Gerrard could of done that as well and I don't seem people ever calling him loyal, in fact we have chants about him being desperate to leave.

I don't think there's many loyal players in all honesty. Look at the ones people consider. Maldini, Totti, Scholes, Giggs etc. They all played for dominant clubs mainly (Totti won a Serie A in his time.) I doubt Shearer cries himself to sleep every night he had a very good career on a personal level and is regarded as the best ever player at his boyhood club by plenty but there must always be what if's. If the article above is to be believed then it seems he wanted to move towards the end of his career, almost similar to RVP coming to us for 1 last chance of a big trophy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We'll never know the heights Shearer would have reached if he had signed for Wegner's Arsenal or Man Utd. It's almost as if Van Basten had spent his whole career at Hansa Rostok after 1986.
It's a fair point, and a Champions League or two at United would push his legacy up a notch, but the knee injury curtails his time at the top more than his choice of club IMO.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It's a fair point, and a Champions League or two at United would push his legacy up a notch, but the knee injury curtails his time at the top more than his choice of club IMO.
True, but Van Basten's career was also constantly threatened by injuries, until the forced semi-retirement and retirement after 1993. The important thing is that he was with AC Milan during his peak. Shearer's peak was 1990-97, and at that time he worked for clubs that are currently "championship/relegation zone" level (that makes the 1995 PL a huge accomplishment). But if his dream was playing for Newcastle, then who am I to judge?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We'll never know the heights Shearer would have reached if he had signed for Wegner's Arsenal or Man Utd. It's almost as if Van Basten had spent his whole career at Hansa Rostock after 1986.
The only what if with Shearer is his knee injury. Besides, it was his choice to pass up on the United offer(s).

It's not like van Basten's career was ideal — he had played his last game aged 28 and had missed entire seasons due to multiple injuries. And even like that he is easily a tier above all other strikers not named Ronaldo/Müller/Romario.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Based on their time at Newcastle, I would never have guessed that shearer and Owen could be this devastating together.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’m sure his family sees some good in him but Owen is simply a shameless rotter who ruined his career and legacy through his own narcissism.

The photo often posted of him holding the Premier League trophy aloft to mock Liverpool fans is one such example of who he is, especially now he’s back to referring to them as ‘we’ and ‘us’. Newcastle fans aren’t learning anything new about him with this book