Owen vs Shearer

Djemba-Djemba

Owen has managed a unique feat of being unloved at every club he has ever played for. Real Madrid fans are probably the ones who think of him the fondest if they can summon up more than indifference.

His only relevance here is probably going to be hos much he can drag shearer down in the mud with him.
Be interesting to see if anyone else has managed this unique feat.

Paul Ince is hated by West Ham and Utd fans. What do you lot think of him?

JohnnyKills

Both points are correct though.
Yep, 100% correct.

Newcastle got drunk on the Sky TV hype after winning promotion at the start of the Premier League didn't they. Started believing their own publicity.

diarm

I'd pay good money to watch Shearer punch Owen in the face repeatedly for an hour.

poleglass red

Owen getting good promotion for his new book, nothing like a spat between 2 dour ex England strikers to drum up interest in a book most of us have no intention of buying. Probably a case of the best bits will be serialised in the papers anyway.

diarm

Anyone who buys Owens book wants deporting. There are certain people in life who no longer deserve a voice worth listening to. Michael Owen, Piers Morgan, Eamon Dunphy, George Hook, Paul Ince, Joey Barton, Ewan McKenna, Sol Campbell, Stephen Jones and Katie Hopkins being prime examples.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Anyone who buys Owens book wants deporting. There are certain people in life who no longer deserve a voice worth listening to. Michael Owen, Piers Morgan, Eamon Dunphy, George Hook, Paul Ince, Joey Barton, Ewan McKenna, Sol Campbell, Stephen Jones and Katie Hopkins being prime examples.
That's a long list. Might as well add Keane.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't (who said I did?). Don't do Twitter.

I see his Twitter comments appear on other forms of social media (or threads, like this one).

Don't assume. It's that easy.
It's also that easy to avoid or don't read a person's Tweets if you dislike said person.

There's nothing wrong with Lineker's use of his own, personal Twitter account - it's social media meant to express your own, personal thoughts. The amount of people getting annoyed or even offended by that is staggering.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
This says everything. He has had long career and is not loved anywhere nor do you hear any ex team mates ever say anything good about him
When people ask who Owen played for I just say England. That’s how I see him as a footballer. No club affiliation at all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Shearer is a legend at Newcastle. He's probably a bigger name for them then Cantona was for us. Now did he considered an offer elsewhere? Of course he did. We're talking about people's future here, a transaction which was worth millions. Any player with an agent would consider it. Totti whose been at Roma since he was 17 considered an offer from Real, Giggs considered an offer from Inter same as Cantona. That's why players hire agents in the first place. No matter how decent the agent is, its his job to bring forward to the players any offers being made for him or to find him valuable alternative jobs if things start turning sour for him. That's what agents do.

Owen is all that the typical modern player is criticised off. He always put himself first, ahead of loyalties, clubs, fans, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. Way bigger players like Vieri and Ibra has done that. However they don't go questioning the loyalty of absolute legends like Shearer.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Boring fued between two extremely boring men surprisingly turns out to be extremely boring.

"Well yes Alan but I distinctly remember that back in 2003 you got the hump with Jermaine Jenas after he spilt part of your tea"

diarm

That's a long list. Might as well add Keane.
They were literally the first few names that came to mind. With the standard of what counts for modern journalism I could probably write my own book of names.

MUFC OK

Both to**ers really. Owen has been trying to pander to the Liverpool fans since he moved to us to win the league, he’s shameless.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I've read Owen's first autobiography.

Highlights include when he reveals what a functional, conventional family he had, his unbridled ascent from schoolboy star to star professional, his first meeting with his future wife in a pub, notable moments as England's striker and his love of horse racing. There's some juicy bits when he reveals that the large sums he gambled at one stage in his early 20s were trifling relative to his high wages.

A tome so monumentally dull, it's worth reading just to marvel at how uninteresting one man's life story can be.

Jimmy_Bond

Big Al is gonna have to be careful here. Seems like Micky boy has a fair bit on him, whilst he has nothing to lose.

A few people have known for a long while that Big Al thinks a hell of a lot about himself, and certainly a hell of a lot more of himself than he does Newcastle United.

If he was a major factor in Sir Bobby Robson getting the sack, he'll go down in the estimations of lots of Geordies, and rightly so.

poleglass red

Yep, that's what I reckon. He was told to do something interesting to help sell his book. The only question is whether Shearer knows about it and is helping him out deliberately or whether he's just played into Owens hands.
I think it actually benefits both. Neither "pundit" has any charisma whatsoever so this "feud" actually makes them somewhat interesting for a change.

thepolice123

The duos best performance since france 98.
:lol:

English Strikers and their spats. Last year Cole and Sheringham ended their feud. Of course someone had to continue the drama.

Last edited:

Al-T

Likely to be more interesting and revealing than anything either of them have to say as pundits.

I haven't a single positive thing to say about Shearer whereas Owen did score that goal against City.

Giuliano Maiorana

Big Al is gonna have to be careful here.
If he was a major factor in Sir Bobby Robson getting the sack, he'll go down in the estimations of lots of Geordies, and rightly so.
Absolutely, Sir Bobby is rightly thought of and rememberered as a true gent and a hero of many. RIP Sir Bobby

Reactions: SteveJ

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Be interesting to see if anyone else has managed this unique feat.

Paul Ince is hated by West Ham and Utd fans. What do you lot think of him?
generally regarded as a twat.

Not sure what Inter fans make of him though.

Inter Yer Nan

I didn't know there was such bad blood between them. Owen makes some interesting points about Shearer's Geordie Legend credentials perhaps being over-inflated; as well as his reply there's this quote from Owen's book posted in the thread:

“Alan Shearer once told me that playing for Newcastle was like ‘wowing children with balloon animals’. I lost a lot of respect for him. He bottled his career. A coward of a man.” Michael Owen, Reboot (2019)

I get the feeling it's two ego-driven dickheads having a slanging match, but I'm tempted to back Shearer as Owen did become a shameless mercenary towards the end (the Newcastle move, signing for us, the brochure etc.).

:lol:

Owen really said that?

Inter Yer Nan

I don't think anyone is disputing that, even Owen in fairness.

True, but when he signed for Newcastle they'd just missed out on the league the year before and he was the most expensive signing in the world. It's a big statement of intent at the time and he may of felt they were on the cusp of big things (they did nearly win a league.) It is some what loyal to go to them but if he stayed cos no one could match the transfer figure for example I wouldn't say that's massively loyal, more that no one could match the valuation so he was stuck. I don't think it's beyond belief he wanted to leave.

His first season they were 2nd then after that 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th. They never really came close to winning the league either so although in hindsight I think he has obviously got this loyal tag I still reckon he may have a few regrets about not joining a big club.
Hard to imagine many players of Shearer's quality sticking at a club with those finishes for that long in his prime. I think that's loyalty right there. They became a solid top end team but never a true contender.

Shearer is unquestionably a great player and the better player of the two (vs. Owen) but I do often wonder if he has any regrets about his career. He'd never admit it but surely a 3-4 year stint at one of the bigger clubs would have given his career the medals his goals deserved.