Owen vs Shearer

Boycott

Owen is one of the only "golden generation" players who turned up for England at tournaments.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Wow I've just watched that Youtube video and it's utterly cringe worthy.

Imagine getting that much satisfaction, as a professional footballer and grown man from scoring some goals past a 13 year old kid.

It's no wonder he's had some stick over the years if he acts like that, it's bad enough he was in full kit when not playing a match....

Having said that I'm not a massive Shearer fan either but it's difficult to imagine him doing the same.
He was also celebrating like it was a match and laughing at the kid, came accross like a real cnut. Can imagine him being like that all the time.

cyberman

Owen is one of the only "golden generation" players who turned up for England at tournaments.
He's a dickhead but he delivered. Being salty at Beckham for costing them that game when he announced himself on the world stage isn't an issue for me. It's a highlight of his career for a reason and Beckham sullied it

norm87cro

Still don't know why both of these t... get the media attention. Supposed best two strikers in England ahead of Teddy and Cole before Euro 2000 and England get theirs handed to them from Romania and Portugal. Supposed Liverpool and Newcastle legends but won the PL with us and Blackburn. In pure football terms Shearer was the better striker but Owen was the more talented player who never got to his full potential.

PeteManic

Owen always seemed to me like a professional footballer who just treated it like a profession. Even from the early days.

He blames the injuries and that is true. But he also made two stupid career choices going to Real Madrid and then to Newcastle.

He comes across very badly on TV and social media. He is just a typical millionaire footballer. Yawn.

RochaRoja

Even at the time, Owen’s transfer to Newcastle made no sense. He was still one of the top strikers in Europe and went to a crap team managed by Graeme Souness.

It would be like if Icardi joined Crystal Palace.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even at the time, Owen’s transfer to Newcastle made no sense. He was still one of the top strikers in Europe and went to a crap team managed by Graeme Souness.

It would be like if Icardi joined Crystal Palace.
Was surprising that no one else really wanted him though.

Josh 76

1. Owen
2. Ince
3. Hughes (Boy hood hero turned villain as a manger)

ex Utd players I really hate.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Apparently Shearer really wanted to go to Liverpool when he went to Newcastle in the summer of 96 too.
I just love SAF’s remark to him after he signed for Newcastle. “ Don’t get your fingers burnt twice.”’
Much better riposte as it turned out true. :lol:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
A lot of people said that Michael Owen at his youthful peak was almost as good as mbappe is today.

Inter Yer Nan

In fairness though he joined when they just lost a league then the season after they finished 2nd again. The season after when they finished 13th he's not going to leave after 2 runners up finishes. The 1st "13th" season was 1998/1999. United had Ole, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham. 2 of them scored over 20 goals and Ole just missed out so there's no demand for Shearer at United at that point (for what you'd imagine would be a huge transfer fee.) Teams like Arsenal had Anelka and Bergkamp at the time and Shearer doesn't really seem an Arsenal of that era player. Maybe the ship had just sailed at that time of his career and teams weren't desperate for him on big money. It seems the link away to Liverpool came towards the end of his career.

Maybe he joined out of some degree of playing for his boyhood club but I find it hard to believe he'd turn down a team like United if Newcastle hadn't just finished runners up the season before. He couldn't predict there would be an immediate collapse just after he joined. I don't know the guy personally or anything so can't 100% claim that'd the truth but I just think it's easier to be "loyal" and join a boyhood club doing well. I'd believe it more if he joined them after they finished 13th.
Fair points. I guess he did have reason to believe he'd be the difference maker and it didn't quite work out. I think after they'd finished 13th that was the season he missed about half the games. Then the summer we added Yorke. Things, I guess, were a little different then and timing played a part. Still, there was Chelsea splashing the cash and doing well back then and Liverpool splashing the cash so he could have agitated for a move but never really did. Perhaps he's not Matt Le Tissier in the loyalty department but I definitely consider him to have been a loyal player towards Newcastle.

Inter Yer Nan

1. Owen
2. Ince

Good list though I'd add Tevez, Heinze, Di Maria. I guess the fact they aren't seen on camera talking English much or spend much time afterwards in England affects the views but they were equally (if not moreso) turdy as that turdtastic trio you mentioned. Hughes, is a shame because I was a big fan of his as a kid. I never really embraced Ince or Owen.

clarkydaz

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-alan-shearer-live-19334538

With hindsight, it probably didn’t look great to fly around in a helicopter – or land it on Newcastle’s training ground on Christmas Day, as I once did in response to a dare by the lads,” he writes. “I landed it right in the centre-circle of the artificial pitch because a bunch of them said it would be a laugh. I felt like an idiot; stunts like that weren’t my style.”

He adds: “In no way was I trying to be a flash pr*ck by flaunting the considerable salary I was getting in the faces of the hard-working fans.
After being concussed in a match with Watford , Owen was taken off on a stretcher, to the tune of ‘what a waste of money’ coming from the Newcastle fans.

“I can’t deny their actions that day changed things for me,” Owen vents. “No longer was I even going to attempt to ingratiate myself with the fans. Instead, I flipped it in a slightly more resentful way thinking, I don’t need to justify myself to f ****** Newcastle fans.

“And I have a long memory. As much as there were some good times to follow at St James’ Park, my relationship with the fans was irreparably impaired that day at Vicarage Road. The love affair, if you could call it that, was almost over.”
Owen became the highest paid player in Newcastle history when collecting his £120-per-week wages - a record that still stands.

He admits: “I believe Andriy Shevchenko and maybe Frank Lampard were the only other players on six figure salaries at that time. In addition, they were offering me a box at St. James’ Park and a house with full staff.”
“I spoke to Michael first. ‘In light of the clear scan results do you think you’ll be fit to play against Fulham? It’s the most important game of the season. A win might be enough for us.’

“Michael placed his hand over his groin. ‘Not sure, to be honest. It doesn’t feel too bad. But I’m out of contract at the end of the season. What if I rip my groin on Saturday? I’ll not get a contract at another club if I’m injured.’

“I was a little taken aback by his reply. I didn’t share his reasoning. ‘But you already have a contract, Michael. You have a contract here now with us.’
I am quite shocked this is a real person and not some made up character, like an autistic Alan Partridge. He really needs to step away from the public :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This whole thing is quite startling.

It's like Owen has sat down with his agent and the ghost writer, and they've laid it out.

Right son, you're quite well known as a dull clean cut boring guy, and that does not sell a lot of books - what sells books is stories with big names, ideally grudges, run ins and simmering resentment.

Owen - got it. Shearer, Beckham, slag a few clubs off - job done.

If he dares to slate Fergie, Rooney, or United you know it's utter BS, as you can genuinely tell he was honoured to be in their presence and at the club at the time.
He has however, tried to engineer a career as a Liverpool "ambassador", despite the United link, and despite the apathy their fans hold him in.

I quite like him to be honest - did decently for us at least in the first season, scored a lot for England, and never got anywhere near a hate list for me.
He is simply too anondyne for that.
I think he massively over exaggerated that "wanted to retire for 6-7 years" business, as he certainly gave the impression of enjoying it with us. Newcastle and Stoke maybe not, but us just being part of it seemed enough. And for a massively cut down wage.

Frank Grimes

Two very good strikers at their peak but they both fecked up their own careers in placing money above trophies imo. Shearer turned United down for more money (Roy Keane joined a year later, though he knew he'd be paid more at Blackburn). Even Fergie said that Shearer's first question was about money when he met with him. I don't believe for a second he never wonders "what if?" when it comes to United. Great goals return but did he win anything other than that one league?

Owen should never have joined that mess of a Newcastle side but the 120k a week was too good to turn down it seems.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Two very good strikers at their peak but they both fecked up their own careers in placing money above trophies imo. Shearer turned United down for more money (Roy Keane joined a year later, though he knew he'd be paid more at Blackburn). Even Fergie said that Shearer's first question was about money when he met with him. I don't believe for a second he never wonders "what if?" when it comes to United. Great goals return but did he win anything other than that one league?

Owen should never have joined that mess of a Newcastle side but the 120k a week was too good to turn down it seems.
I believe Fergie's actual comment on Shearer was that he was "surly" and the first thing Shearer said was "why weren't you in for me before".

Hughie77

Owen has really got to Shearer, bloody great, putting it out there Shearer was pushing for a move to Liverpool! And his contract stopping players coming in on higher wages than him, clause he had to be higher paid than the rest!

Just proves how much of a money grabbing git he was and we all knew! Owens not much better iether, this is going to carry on a bit hopefully, Liniker poking his nib in as well? Ohh carry on boys

Gazza

Still don't know why both of these t... get the media attention. Supposed best two strikers in England ahead of Teddy and Cole before Euro 2000 and England get theirs handed to them from Romania and Portugal. Supposed Liverpool and Newcastle legends but won the PL with us and Blackburn. In pure football terms Shearer was the better striker but Owen was the more talented player who never got to his full potential.
How so? Not sure I’d agree with that at all.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone seen those brand values from Owen's prospectus? Laughable stuff. :lol: The most generic shit one could think of.

galwayfa

I think it's refreshing that players tell us what happened back in the day, we know they all couldn't like each other but never spill in there autobiographies, they have you think it's all funny handshakes and hugs which obviously we know it's not.

RayParlourIsMyGod

Supports
Arsenal
1. Owen
2. Ince

How can any Man Utd fan hate Mark Hughes? Mark Robins is credited with saving Ferguson from the sack early (relatively) in his reign, but that credit surely belongs to Hughes.

RochaRoja

At the time I thought he should’ve stuck it out at Madrid. McManaman and Beckham both proved that if you have the right attitude, you can force your way back from being frozen out at that club. Being fourth choice behind Ronaldo, Raúl and Robinho might have suited him in a World Cup year anyway.

It’s ironic that he moved to Newcastle for the sake of his England career and that move ended up killing it.

RochaRoja

A lot of people said that Michael Owen at his youthful peak was almost as good as mbappe is today.
Owen’s peak can be split between two different parts. From 1997-1999 he was fantastic and had a bit of Mbappe about him. He would take the ball forty metres from goal and run and defenders who were terrified of his pace.

The 2000-2003 Ballon d’Or winning Owen was a little bit different. After his hamstring injury at Leeds he was a more of a box player than in his teens.

People say the Madrid or Newcastle moves were the start of his decline but he was already going stale in his last year at Liverpool.

RochaRoja

I am quite shocked this is a real person and not some made up character, like an autistic Alan Partridge. He really needs to step away from the public :lol:
Speaking as an Aspie, I’ve often thought Owen has that vibe about him tbh.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We offered 12m. Owen didn't seem to realise he could simply reject Newcastle and give pèrez a decision to make.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-alan-shearer-live-19334538

He really is a massive bell.

"I acted like a flash pr*ck and flaunted the considerable salary I was getting in the faces of the hard-working fans, but that wasn't the look I was going for. PS. I also resented the fans who were deluded. PPS. Not a flash pr*ck though."