Owen vs Shearer

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm actually on Shearer's side here, Owen has been a complete bell end since he left United.

GoldanoGraham

He is a strange one is Michael Owen - had the world at his feet after 1998 WC but ended up being a Nomad - never really liked anywhere - grew up thru the Liverpool system and tried to follow what MacManaman did - unfortunately didnt have any success at Real Madrid like Macca did (maybe because he was a one dimensional player) - and after that - just whored himself around the PL and ended up getting a winners medal with us as a sub - couldnt have done a worse thing in Liverpools eyes - nowadys bigging them up but they all despise him - now using Shearer (another prize plum) to slate to sell his book - I find Owen a monotonous bore when he is on the TV and about as interesting as watching paint dry - look forward to him being slated in the papers in the few days!!!!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Remember that Spitting Image sketch where a snooker player's manager tried to make his client less boring to the public? He came up with the name 'Steve Interesting Davis'...

hobbers

Shearer is a boring twat, but Owen has always been an utterly revolting human. No contest.

Personalities aside though Shearer was twice the player and loyal to a fault.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Owen really said that?
That was posted by someone on the twitter thread, I assumed from a book Owen had written. I can't find that post nor can I find any evidence of the quote existing elsewhere, looks like I've been had by fake news. Apologises, I'll edit my post.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
When people ask who Owen played for I just say England. That’s how I see him as a footballer. No club affiliation at all.
Yeah, me too. England was always his first priority. And I am sure England was also the reason he went to Newcastle after Real Madrid.

In '04 he went for £8m to RM on a two year contract and in' 05 he was unwanted there. Liverpool wanted to sign him, but not for the double of what they got for him a year before. If he wanted to go back to Liverpool, all he had to do was to wait a year, or probably just a half, but I believe he didn't want to be benched the following season putting his England career at risk with the WC 2006 coming up.

I don't begrudge him the move to RM. He took the shot, fair enough. It was the move to Newcastle that pissed me off. He could have gotten back if he wanted to. But no.. Always England first.

When he went to Man United I didn't really care.. He was well past it that point and the bond to Liverpool fans were already well and truly broken by then.

We may think he's a twat in Liverpool, but I would be furious with him, if I were a Geordie.

Hughie77

Shearer for just his football, otherwise a total twonk! He didn't come here to OT, because we wouldn't pay the git, more than Newcastle!

Won feck all with them as well, England's and Premier league's best player in a Generation and won 1 medal I think?

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Owen showed tweet a picture of him and his Balon d'Or :drool:

hp88

Owen has managed a unique feat of being unloved at every club he has ever played for. Real Madrid fans are probably the ones who think of him the fondest if they can summon up more than indifference.

His only relevance here is probably going to be hos much he can drag shearer down in the mud with him.
Liked him at United for a brief period, scoring the injury time winner against City probably had something to do with it.

He just comes across as some smug twat though.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
How much do you reckon shearer is being paid by Owen for all this publicity?
Haha yeah, he definitely needed the publicity to get people talking about this. The book would be pretty lame without Shearer involved and has used the 2nd most boring guy to lace up his boots ever to spice his book up.

Scored a great few goals for England but despised basically by every club he played for. Probably alone in that regard.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Owen has managed a unique feat of being unloved at every club he has ever played for. Real Madrid fans are probably the ones who think of him the fondest if they can summon up more than indifference.

His only relevance here is probably going to be hos much he can drag shearer down in the mud with him.
I was surprised when he first went back to Liverpool and actually got booed by the Kop, can't remember him disrespecting the club after leaving. Guess he wouldn't have been that warmly greeted if he had actually come back in 2005?

It was always said Robbie Fowler was darling of the Kop so were you all blaming Owen for him leaving? That was November 2001 so quite a while before Owen actually left.

As others have said Michael Owen was still pretty good up to he actually signed for Newcastle then got two really bad injuries within a year of signing (remember him doing his ACL at 2006 World cup) and with Newcastle being firmly rooted in mid table I think he then lost his hunger for football.

Also at that point Capello left him out of England squads (think his last cap was when he was only 28) and that was also blow as he wanted to break the then Lineker scoring record and was 6 or 7 goals short.

I bet he couldn't believe after Newcastle went down Man. United actually wanted him. Can only imagine him and Fergie in the office on a Friday afternoon discussing racing tips for the weekend ahead.:lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Urgh have I ever said how much I really detest Michael Owen? Can't wait for the inevitable chapter on us in his book, just to add to my rage towards him. Why's he even got a book coming out? He hasn't been relevant since 2004 FFS

Seriously I know this is frowned upon on this forum but I really hope bad things happen to him

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mad to think he actually won Balon D'or in 2001. He did win the three cup trophies at club level and also scored the hat-trick in the 5-1 in Germany but still just seems odd he was the English player to actually win it when you see the seasons guys like Beckham (2nd in 99), Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney had at various times. Guess that was the fallow period before Messi and Ronaldo but you still had greats like Figo, Zidane and Rivaldo knocking around.

Still the Kop tolerated him a bit more in those days.

Nanook

Shearer is a boring twat, but Owen has always been an utterly revolting human. No contest.

What’s the worst thing Owen has done? I get why people dislike him but saying he’s an utterly revolting human being? :lol: for what exactly?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Owen made a career out of being an anondyne professional type.
G nev style. Never hear anything outside of football etc.

So this trying to be controversial for the book and totally unnecessarily slating past clubs and saying how he couldn't wait to retire etc is super insulting.

He got that massive money from newcastle. Every one else would just sheepishly bank it and then speak respectfully about them.
Nothing to gain at all from going after them bar selling a few books. Dreadful.

Seems like he's overdoing the trying to depict himself as Liverpool through and through too. When in reality he was often accused of favouring England and left them without a thought to madrid. Obviously joining us later too.

Shame to fall out with shearer too. They were great mates.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I was surprised when he first went back to Liverpool and actually got booed by the Kop, can't remember him disrespecting the club after leaving. Guess he wouldn't have been that warmly greeted if he had actually come back in 2005?

It was always said Robbie Fowler was darling of the Kop so were you all blaming Owen for him leaving? That was November 2001 so quite a while before Owen actually left.
It had nothing to do with Fowler. Owen ran down his contract and spent his last year lying through his teeth about how he was going to extend any day now, just a few details to be sorted, nothing to worry about.

If he had had any sort of bottle, he'd even have been back in 2005. All he had to do was reject the notion of going to Newcastle. I don't think he'd have been welcomed back a hero, but he'd have been forgiven.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Revolting? It's only football mate!

RochaRoja

What’s the worst thing Owen has done? I get why people dislike him but saying he’s an utterly revolting human being? :lol: for what exactly?
Doesn’t know how to make a cup of tea.

Doesn’t like films.

Has had the same haircut since 1997.

Tarrou

Wow, didn't know Owen had it in him to do something somewhat interesting.
To be fair, how else would they be able to sell an 'update' of an autobiography if he didn't say bad some stuff

My story: The BT-Sport years?

Oldyella

Yeah so fecking weird him getting involved like that in a spat between two people he has known and worked with for the vest part of two decades. What right does he have?
What? You wouldn't get involved and take the piss if two friends were bitching at each other?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Owen: "All I can say is that, as I sit here now, knowing how lucky a player is to appear in one World Cup, never mind more than one, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that what David did that day (’98 vs Argentina) hadn’t let every single one of that England team down.”
Owen: “Did he (Beckham) deserve the abuse he got from the press afterwards? Certainly not. What human being needs to see his or her effigy being burned? But David let us down, and I still hold some resentment about it today."

SirAF

Ageist
What a twat. If he wants to blame anyone it’s more logical to look at David fecking Batty.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Owen seems determined to be a twat in everyone's eyes now.

Wonder who he will piss all over next.

Oggmonster

Hard to imagine many players of Shearer's quality sticking at a club with those finishes for that long in his prime. I think that's loyalty right there. They became a solid top end team but never a true contender.

Shearer is unquestionably a great player and the better player of the two (vs. Owen) but I do often wonder if he has any regrets about his career. He'd never admit it but surely a 3-4 year stint at one of the bigger clubs would have given his career the medals his goals deserved.
In fairness though he joined when they just lost a league then the season after they finished 2nd again. The season after when they finished 13th he's not going to leave after 2 runners up finishes. The 1st "13th" season was 1998/1999. United had Ole, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham. 2 of them scored over 20 goals and Ole just missed out so there's no demand for Shearer at United at that point (for what you'd imagine would be a huge transfer fee.) Teams like Arsenal had Anelka and Bergkamp at the time and Shearer doesn't really seem an Arsenal of that era player. Maybe the ship had just sailed at that time of his career and teams weren't desperate for him on big money. It seems the link away to Liverpool came towards the end of his career.

Maybe he joined out of some degree of playing for his boyhood club but I find it hard to believe he'd turn down a team like United if Newcastle hadn't just finished runners up the season before. He couldn't predict there would be an immediate collapse just after he joined. I don't know the guy personally or anything so can't 100% claim that'd the truth but I just think it's easier to be "loyal" and join a boyhood club doing well. I'd believe it more if he joined them after they finished 13th.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What a twat. If he wants to blame anyone it’s more logical to look at David fecking Batty.
Commentator:“Now you know him (Batty) better than anyone, probably. Do you back him to score? Quickly, yes or no?”
Keegan: "YES!"
Commentator " Oh,he hasn't"

OL29

Just seen this from Owen’s book, what a prick, I know he’s trying to sell a book but why wait 21 years later to come out with this nonsense?

ChrisNelson

Wow I've just watched that Youtube video and it's utterly cringe worthy.

Imagine getting that much satisfaction, as a professional footballer and grown man from scoring some goals past a 13 year old kid.

It's no wonder he's had some stick over the years if he acts like that, it's bad enough he was in full kit when not playing a match....

Having said that I'm not a massive Shearer fan either but it's difficult to imagine him doing the same.

Bwuk

Not sure what the issues with Owens comments are.

Michael Owens career peaked when he was young, and was ruined thereafter by injuries. He went from Balon d'Or to a joke. I can see why he was desperate to retire, but no-one is going to turn down the £££.

Newcastle are delusional if they think they aren't a step down from Madrid and Liverpool. Sure he took the 120k a week, but they offered him it. They were a farce in that time period, I bet half their squad weren't that arsed about playing for them. Joe Kinnear was there ffs.

He didn't even have that bad a record at Newcastle all things considered. Just couldn't stay fit.