Ozil

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who did for Arsenal (apart from Iwobi and probably Cech)?

But go ahead.
To me it's a more general impression. Think of all your big players in last 20 years (Henry, Bergkamp, Seaman, Alexis, Henry, Ljungberg, Pires) and I just don't see how Ozil comes close to any of them when it comes to legacy when he's no longer at Arsenal.

He's played his part in a few FA cup wins but to me has always flattered to deceive in league seasons. There is no contest between his impact and what Hazard has produced for Chelsea if we're talking playmakers in teams.

AllezLesDiables

Never understood the Ozil hype. Looked better at Real because he shouldered zero responsibility and had talent all over the pitch.

The guy rarely takes the the game by the neck and when he’s not involved you’re left playing 10v 11

KeanoMagicHat

Ozil is a shadow of the player he was. There will be people saying he was never that great but he was in my opinion, one of the best passers in offensive positions of his generation and the assists indicated that.

He was always a bit loose in terms of tracking back but it never mattered as much when he had such quality on the ball. But now he's not even that special on the ball, the sheen is off and he's just a very good footballer any more. Him and Sanchez seem to have declined simultaneously.

beergod

Ozil is the fits the stereotype of a soft Arsenal player better than anyone else.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I was waiting to see this thread pop up again :lol:

Only saw the first half, where he was meh along with everyone else on the pitch, including Chelsea players. But yea everyone will blame him for the loss and not that shambolic defense that conceded 4 goals.

AllezLesDiables

I was waiting to see this thread pop up again :lol:

Only saw the first half, where he was meh along with everyone else on the pitch, including Chelsea players. But yea everyone will blame him for the loss and not that shambolic defense that conceded 4 goals.
I don’t think people are blaming him for the loss. They are after him because he only shows up when Arsenal is playing a bunch of farmers and when he doesn’t you’re playing 10 v 11.

For all the talk of how inconsistent Hazard is at least Hazard is noticeable in almost every match.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don’t think people are blaming him for the loss. They are after him because he only shows up when Arsenal is playing a bunch of farmers and when he doesn’t you’re playing 10 v 11.

For all the talk of how inconsistent Hazard is at least Hazard is noticeable in almost every match.
I remember I once did an analysis of his performances against the top 4 (I think it was till the 17/18 season) and he had the same goals/assists ratio as Eriksen and a bit lower than D.Silva. So no he doesn't just perform against farmers it's just that people want to remember him however they want to.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Fabregas was bang on with his assessment of Ozil.
It's ironic Fabregas can say anything about Ozil. Ozil won more trophies there than Fabregas did in less seasons and with significantly worse players. What did Fabregas do at Barca when he was surrounded by Messi, Villa etc? Ozil outperformed him in Spain as well.

Red_toad

He should salvage what he can before it's too late. SA/China next stop?
He’s on 300k a week isn’t he? I highly doubt he’s worrying about salvaging anything. Fans are a funny bunch, I hope he stays and enjoys the cash and being blamed for everything...

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was he even on the pitch today? They may as well started with 10 men.

Needham

His name has become a noun. An ozil is a scapegoat who blames everyone else.

Bojan11

It's ironic Fabregas can say anything about Ozil. Ozil won more trophies there than Fabregas did in less seasons and with significantly worse players. What did Fabregas do at Barca when he was surrounded by Messi, Villa etc? Ozil outperformed him in Spain as well.
Fabregas was a better player for Arsenal than Ozil. Albeit he did play with Van Persie and Nasri. But Ozil does have Aubamayang who isn’t on the level of RVP yet how many assists has Ozil made this season. First the blame was attached to Giroud. Fabregas atleast controlled games for Arsenal. His performance at Old Trafford in 2006 for a young player was majestic. He controlled the game and he did that a lot for Arsenal when he played a deeper role.

Fabregas was a better premier league player by miles.

RooneyLegend

The whole team didn't pitch. He isn't a player that enhances a teams 'control' of a game so he fades when a team has none what so ever which is what happened to Arsenal. Either have him play in front of a midfield that knows what it's doing or don't bother with him. It's not that hard to understand.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Fabregas was a better player for Arsenal than Ozil. Albeit he did play with Van Persie and Nasri. But Ozil does have Aubamayang who isn’t on the level of RVP yet how many assists has Ozil made this season. First the blame was attached to Giroud. Fabregas atleast controlled games for Arsenal. His performance at Old Trafford in 2006 for a young player was majestic. He controlled the game and he did that a lot for Arsenal when he played a deeper role.

Fabregas was a better premier league player by miles.
But that's not the point, Fabregas said Ozil couldn't lead a team, where was he when Arsenal needed leading during his time? They couldn't win a single trophy with him as a leader while Ozil has won 3 FA Cups. Ozil has had Aubamayeng but that's only been for 1.5 seasons when his performance has dropped, during his peak years he had to deal majority of the time with Giroud, Fabregas always had a better group of players but still couldn't win a trophy.

He wants to discredit Ozil's accomplishments at club level saying he's won with the best players around him, discounting the 3 FA Cups he's won with Arsenal and the German Cup he won with Bremen early in his career. People should remind him how many trophies he won playing for sides not having great players.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
But that's not the point, Fabregas said Ozil couldn't lead a team, where was he when Arsenal needed leading during his time? They couldn't win a single trophy with him as a leader while Ozil has won 3 FA Cups. Ozil has had Aubamayeng but that's only been for 1.5 seasons when his performance has dropped, during his peak years he had to deal majority of the time with Giroud, Fabregas always had a better group of players but still couldn't win a trophy.

He wants to discredit Ozil's accomplishments at club level saying he's won with the best players around him, discounting the 3 FA Cups he's won with Arsenal and the German Cup he won with Bremen early in his career. People should remind him how many trophies he won playing for sides not having great players.
Look at cesc as a teen getting to a cl final won the fa cup, then carried arsenal for years. Dont think cesc ever finished a season without arsenal in the cl either, this is ozils 3rd ? straight one. Talent aside his lack of effort is disgusting.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester

Özil makes good teams better, yes. Good teams on good days. He's not the man to carry responsibility and no leader whatsoever. He tends to be invisible in big games. I remember the 7:1 vs Brazil, he was just awful there, lost nearly every tackle. He's become very inconsistent and his body language is devastating. Looks like grumpy cat finished a Marathon every time he walks off the pitch. He was a fine weapon in Bremen and in Madrid, yes. But he lost it. The 350 k are not his fault, yes; you have to blame Arsenal there.

Based Adnan

He has 4 assists in the league ever since he signed that 350k a week extension in January 2018. Awful return.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I said it when we signed him he’s a 15 minute player who was never world class because he can’t dominate a game. He comes in and out of games and only turns up for 15 mins if you’re lucky he creates a goal in those 15 mins.

He might have been class at Madrid with all those players to create chances for but in the PL playing for a lesser team he’s been found out as I knew he would. He will still create chances but he does little else and you cant afford to have a playmaker that contributes as little as he does.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Who did for Arsenal (apart from Iwobi and probably Cech)?

But go ahead.
Who else is supposedly world class and on 350k a week? He’s suppose to lift the players around him not the other way around.

He’s been an average signing and we won’t be able to give him away now.

The Nani

Look at cesc as a teen getting to a cl final won the fa cup, then carried arsenal for years. Dont think cesc ever finished a season without arsenal in the cl either, this is ozils 3rd ? straight one. Talent aside his lack of effort is disgusting.
Seriously overrating Cesc here. He has never carried anyone. Arsenal were actually good back then.

Doesn’t mean Ozil isn’t a luxury player, mind.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
That should be his last game for the club if we're actually serious about ever competing again.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Seriously overrating Cesc here. He has never carried anyone. Arsenal were actually good back then.

Doesn’t mean Ozil isn’t a luxury player, mind.
Yea that's my point. It's rich for Cesc to come and criticize Ozil for not being a leader, atleast Ozil brought trophies to Arsenal as a supposed leader and best player in the team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Poor performance and season, yes.

He is a scapegoat though. It is what it is.
Scapegoat implies someone being unfairly maligned for something that’s actually not their fault.

When the supposedly best (and definitely best paid) player at a football club puts in a season of absolutely shite individual performances, leading up to being easily the worst player on the pitch in the biggest season of the game then that’s not - by any definition - making him a scapegoat.

simplyared

For me he is the player we missed out on. Arsenal got him instead and the rest is history. An incredibly gifted footballer who I'd loved to have seen in a utd shirt. Not now though!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yea that's my point. It's rich for Cesc to come and criticize Ozil for not being a leader, atleast Ozil brought trophies to Arsenal as a supposed leader and best player in the team.
Ozil hasn't been the best player or leader in any season at Arsenal

And this season was frankly pathetic. He's always had a tendency to blow hot and cold, with dizzying highs and abysmal lows, but generally the good outweighted the bad. Not this season

In general, he's suffered quite a bit from the same problem Pogba seems to suffer, namely that he's not the player everybody wants him to be or thinks he should be

izec

For me he is the player we missed out on. Arsenal got him instead and the rest is history. An incredibly gifted footballer who I'd loved to have seen in a utd shirt. Not now though!
Dont think we missed out on in the grand scheme of things. He would be on huge wages by now and stinking up the place for years (seeing that we reward mediocrity and keep players too long). He wouldnt be worth it, for a few assists and goals in the first years. The time to buy him was when he moved to Real from Werder Bremen after that great World Cup, not after Real.

Time for him to move to Turkey.

Libano

His skill set combined with a Roy Keane mentality would make for probably the best midfielder in the world. Alas, it's his flaccid, soft personality that lets him down time and again.