Ozil

prateik

Isn't he on something like 350k/week? I think he'll just be happy to sit it out and collect the money. No one is paying him even half that anywhere else.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Isn't he on something like 350k/week? I think he'll just be happy to sit it out and collect the money. No one is paying him even half that anywhere else.
& who can blame him. Contracted until Summer 2021, highly unlikely to win anything at club level again unless he goes to PSG, already won the biggest trophy you can win in football anyway (where he was one of the best German players that year).

I'd sit it out, retire at 32/33, play 15 games a season. It would be great :D

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
& who can blame him. Contracted until Summer 2021, highly unlikely to win anything at club level again unless he goes to PSG, already won the biggest trophy you can win in football anyway (where he was one of the best German players that year).

Giving him that kind of contract seemed absolutely moronic even at the time, they would have probably been better off letting him leave on a free.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Nah, he'l could go to China, USA Abu Dhabi and make a fortune for another 3 years at least, why leave an extra £50m on the table when you could retire at 35 instead.

Damn I'm so jealous of the money these footballers are on! :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not in the squad and not injured. Beegining to think his biggest crime is earning 350k a week. There is not justification for freezing him out.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He's played very well whenever I've seen him this season. It's bizarre what's going on. Comes back as captain with a MOTM display, disappears again in a few weeks. Trash like Iwobi playing ahead of him is laughable.

izec

Emery doesnt rate him, you need to run with intensity to play for him and not be lazy and stroll around for most of the time. He is a luxury player for Emery, said so months ago.

Apokalips

Imagine we did this. The amount of heat our back office would get would be immense.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Is it known whose decision was to give him this crazy contract extension? There was some turmoil in Arsenal at the time with Sanliehi and Mslintat being appointed and rumours swirling that Wenger ceded control over squad planning.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Emery’s hedging his bets against Ozil. Obviously feels he can outlast the player to bin him, and bring in more Torreira’s and Lichsteiner’s - polar opposites of Ozil in play and personality.

Mourinho tried something similar with Pogba and it completely backfired. Whilst I think the current iteration of Ozil isn’t the same player (talent, age, team support etc.), it is pretty bemusing how he’s doing this so freely. There is literally nothing to scare you in Arsenal’s front 4 apart from Aubameyang (who seems a wee bit of a flat tracker anyway). Ozil adds something few players in the league can offer.

Cockney Phil

Never been impressed with him - overpaid and overrated. If not for Slippy Gerrard he would have been the Prem’s most overrated player. In a good squad he looks good, in a poor squad he sits on the fence and sulks. Probably Wenger’s biggest transfer flop and almost killed his rep.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Is it known whose decision was to give him this crazy contract extension? There was some turmoil in Arsenal at the time with Sanliehi and Mslintat being appointed and rumours swirling that Wenger ceded control over squad planning.
Wasn't it to stop him leaving like Alexis did? If I remember right, Alexis leaving & Ozil's new contract weren't too far apart.

Guy Incognito

Emery would be justified in dropping him against Chelsea next week because he doesn't do it against the big games. So why drop him against West Ham?

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Wasn't it to stop him leaving like Alexis did? If I remember right, Alexis leaving & Ozil's new contract weren't too far apart.
Yeah it was, and it probably played a part in their decision. It seems it wasn't a correct one though, they would have been better off letting him go on a free in hindsight. He is a bad fit for Emery and this albatross of a contract will be mightily hard to shift.

There was also a chance that Ozil's offers on the open market would have been nowhere near his current contract and they might have renewed him later at a lesser wage.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Probably Gazidis, who's now fecked off to Milan

Morpheus 7

Emery was never going to like Ozil in my opinion. His teams were always based and working as a unit, that's pressing and defending. Ozil has gifted technical ability and unbelievable weight to his passing. The problem is that he's got no fight in him, no defensive and team playing qualities. I'm talking about tracking back, not a random burst of assists against poor opposition. When your side is up against it, he's not reliable. It's been well highlighted in recent seasons, his team are getting beat and he's just walking about the pitch.

He's comfortable at Arsenal and on huge money. I think it's going to be hard to move him on. Is he going to take a massive pay cut to leave London, doubt it. Not many clubs are going to take a risk on Ozil at his age too. Poor vision from Arsenal, he should have been moved on before his contract ran down. They could have got good money for him and a real replacement. However pissed off I get about how United handle contracts, Arsenal make me feel better. Absolute shambles in the last decade.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's played very well whenever I've seen him this season. It's bizarre what's going on. Comes back as captain with a MOTM display, disappears again in a few weeks. Trash like Iwobi playing ahead of him is laughable.
This isn't true, he plays well at home vs poor opposition, then goes missing the very next game away from home. I suspect Emery has had enough

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
This isn't true, he plays well at home vs poor opposition, then goes missing the very next game away from home. I suspect Emery has had enough
It isn’t true? You know when I have and haven’t seen him?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It isn’t true? You know when I have and haven’t seen him?
I meant to highlight the part about him coming back with a MOTM display and then disappearing, he disappeared because he was extremely poor the very next game (away) and was subsequently subbed, its typical Ozil.

Shark

@NotShark
Emery was never going to like Ozil in my opinion. His teams were always based and working as a unit, that's pressing and defending. Ozil has gifted technical ability and unbelievable weight to his passing. The problem is that he's got no fight in him, no defensive and team playing qualities. I'm talking about tracking back, not a random burst of assists against poor opposition. When your side is up against it, he's not reliable. It's been well highlighted in recent seasons, his team are getting beat and he's just walking about the pitch.

He's comfortable at Arsenal and on huge money. I think it's going to be hard to move him on. Is he going to take a massive pay cut to leave London, doubt it. Not many clubs are going to take a risk on Ozil at his age too. Poor vision from Arsenal, he should have been moved on before his contract ran down. They could have got good money for him and a real replacement. However pissed off I get about how United handle contracts, Arsenal make me feel better. Absolute shambles in the last decade.
Ozil is a player that was perfect for that Madrid side under Mourinho, or pretty much any team that has world class superstars all over the pitch doing most of the work for him. He adds some polish, and will look world class in these environments. This is why we're so lucky to have Paul Pogba, a player with all of the class of Ozil on the ball in the final third, but he'll also get stuck in and work his ass off like yesterday.

Morpheus 7

Ozil is a player that was perfect for that Madrid side under Mourinho, or pretty much any team that has world class superstars all over the pitch doing most of the work for him. He adds some polish, and will look world class in these environments. This is why we're so lucky to have Paul Pogba, a player with all of the class of Ozil on the ball in the final third, but he'll also get stuck in and work his ass off like yesterday.
I can't argue with much of that, I do think the game has moved on from that Real side. Players don't seem to get the same amount of time now, there is much more a press. Ozil is a polished player but the game demands more. You look at Eriksen at Spurs, he's got many similar technical attributes. The reason he's different though is the ground he covers in a game. It's not enough anymore in the premier league to have the vision and talent, the game is way to fast and competitive. You could argue la liga has gotten more competitive too. Ozil would be perfect in Italy, slow game were players give you time on the ball. He could unlock teams with time on the ball, again I think he's done at this level long term.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As good as Pogba is, he is not as good as Özil in the final third. There is no attacking midfielder in the world that can really compete with Özil's key passes, chances created and assists per game. He always was ahead of Silva, Messi and many more in this aspect of his game. In terms of final third passing he's still the benchmark for every player on the planet.

His problem is that he became too reliant on his passing over the years. The young Özil was a fairly lethal dribbler for Germany, Schalke, Bremen and Madrid blessed with blazing top speed as well. But as he got older (and especially after he left Real) he avoided dribblings more and more and also rarely used his pace. He should've developed these skills instead of abandoning them in order to have a greater individual impact and he also should've improved his finishing and positioning in the box but he sadly never did that. What remained was his passing quality but this is by definition a skill highly reliant on his team mates' performances. This also explains his habit of disappearing when his side plays badly.

I think Wenger wasn't a particularly good coach for him. A charismatic type like Klopp would've complemented his character way better.

tattico

Supports
SC Freiburg
As good as Pogba is, he is not as good as Özil in the final third. There is no attacking midfielder in the world that can really compete with Özil's key passes, chances created and assists per game. He always was ahead of Silva, Messi and many more in this aspect of his game. In terms of final third passing he's still the benchmark for every player on the planet.
Özil and James are pretty similar. Both lack defensive skills and both should play with two other players in a 3-man midfield, that have good defensive skills. At Bayern it worked with James-Tolisso-Thiago. Jupp Heynckes said, James still has to improve his defensive skills, but he is on a got way. I don´t know, how willing Özil is on that point or if Emery just can´t build a system with Özil as a 10. May he should ask Heynckes about that.

fallengt

Earning 300k a week to play fortnite part time. Even Ninja wouldn't dream of it

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

His problem is that he became too reliant on his passing over the years. The young Özil was a fairly lethal dribbler for Germany, Schalke, Bremen and Madrid blessed with blazing top speed as well. But as he got older (and especially after he left Real) he avoided dribblings more and more and also rarely used his pace. He should've developed these skills instead of abandoning them in order to have a greater individual impact and he also should've improved his finishing and positioning in the box but he sadly never did that. What remained was his passing quality but this is by definition a skill highly reliant on his team mates' performances. This also explains his habit of disappearing when his side plays badly.

I think Wenger wasn't a particularly good coach for him. A charismatic type like Klopp would've complemented his character way better.
Agree with most of this. I remember him as a true midfield engine when he was playing for Werder Bremen for example. But it seemed to me that he was teached in Madrid to become lazy and just focuse on his passes. I don't think its Arsenals fault (all alone). Since 2012 or so he was not doing as well for Germany anymore, in 2010 he has been world class and could/should have been a much better and more complete player.

Well i can't say that i feel for him. I never liked how overhyped he was just because he was playing for Real Madrid among the german NT (same for Kroos now), even though Bayerns players were in their prime and much more influential most of the time. Also after what he did last summer, he deserves this treatment by Emery.