P&G Draft - R1: Isotope vs 2mufc0

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cheers for the input!

I might be nitpicking but Sammer was at his best in a back 5 where he was allowed to surge forward, in a setup like this he will be a little more restrained. I would also argue it would be better suited to have stopper next to him than a ball playing cb like Ayala.

Its hard to argue against his attackers as obviously given the team I support he has quite a few of my favourites. But Best will up against two of my best defenders in Briegel and Forster, in fact apart for Maldini I can't think of many better left backs to put there to try and limit him. Briegel was not only a great defender he was also physically gifted the perfect combo to face a tricky winger.

I also think I have the better midfield Baraja and Pluskal are good players but not near the level of my midfielders.
Aye, ideally I'd like to see Sammer in a back five as well but with a defensive full back at his side and a dedicated DM in front of him I think he has reasonable scope to play his usual, expansive game. On a similar topic what role is Beckenbauer playing here? DM, B2B midfielder or libero?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Beckenbauer is in a back 5 here. Much more freedom to go forward. Not saying Sammer can’t play that role but does take away a bit from his natural game
Of course. Here he doesn't have the freedom of back 5, but the "freedom" of back 4. Less, but still useful.

idmanager

Firstly, a great idea pairing Giggs/Charlton/Best. I havent seen it in drafts here.

Coming to the game, I think the Germans are winning the midfield battle quite easily.

Charlton and Kaiser cancelling each other out as in 1966 is a bit misleading for me considering the company both of them are in.

As far as I can see, Beckenbauer has more freedom with two impeccable runners and hard workers in Szymaniak and Breitner alongside. He doesnt need to man mark Charlton all the time, but Charlton will have to by the looks of it considering all three of the midfielders on the German side will have a go at the attacking end as well.

Kaiser in this setup is like having Redondo+Pirlo+Iniesta in the same player running the game on an axis while being supported by a crew that would raise his game and give him all the freedom he needed.

Pluskal and Baraja for me don't match up to the rest of the midfield relative quality and versatility wise leaving the midfield quite static.

Coming to the attacks, isotope clearly has the better attack, but case by case, Charlton will find it tough to run the midfield on his own.

Best while being the best attacker by miles on the pitch does run into a great wide area covering CB Forster and a hardworking physical fullback in Breigel.

If the Germans can nullify those two, which is a daunting task for any team, I think the game is theirs.

Considering the personnel on both sides, that is what won the Germans my vote.

Great job dropping Florian Albert though. While RVP doesn't come high in my list in such a setup as well, Albert would have been a disaster.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Aye, ideally I'd like to see Sammer in a back five as well but with a defensive full back at his side and a dedicated DM in front of him I think he has reasonable scope to play his usual, expansive game. On a similar topic what role is Beckenbauer playing here? DM, B2B midfielder or libero?
I'd be quite happy for Sammer to surge forward with Gentile tucking in it leaves more space for Shafer to exploit and room for Klinsmann to get ready to poach. I'm not sure if Pluskal was the type of midfielder who would slot back into defence either? Maybe you know more about him.

I don't really want to pigeon hole Kaiser into a role i wanted him to be at the centre of everything we do allowing him ultimate control of the game and also giving him freedom to play, but if i had to chose 1 of the 3 you picked i would say libero.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Pat_Mustard

I'd be quite happy for Sammer to surge forward with Gentile tucking in it leaves more space for Shafer to exploit and room for Klinsmann to get ready to poach. I'm not sure if Pluskal was the type of midfielder who would slot back into defence either? Maybe you know more about him.

I don't really want to pigeon hole Kaiser into a role i wanted him to be at the centre of everything we do allowing him ultimate control of the game and also giving him freedom to play, but if i had to chose 1 of the 3 you picked i would say libero.
I vaguely recall reading that Pluskal played as a CB on ocasion but I have no idea how good he was there or even if it's true. Fair point on Sammer bursting forward creating space for you when you regain possession, although it's a calculated gamble in the modern game really, as we see with full backs playing such an attacking role now.

Good call on Kaiser playing libero - I was hoping you'd say that. Personally I'd prefer him depicted in the formation graphic between Forster and Buchwald with a forward arrow, but that's more of an aesthetic issue really, and I know others like @Edgar Allan Pillow prefer to place the libero ahead of the CBs like you have.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I vaguely recall reading that Pluskal played as a CB on ocasion but I have no idea how good he was there or even if it's true. Fair point on Sammer bursting forward creating space for you when you regain possession, although it's a calculated gamble in the modern game really, as we see with full backs playing such an attacking role now.

Good call on Kaiser playing libero - I was hoping you'd say that. Personally I'd prefer him depicted in the formation graphic between Forster and Buchwald with a forward arrow, but that's more of an aesthetic issue really, and I know others like @Edgar Allan Pillow prefer to place the libero ahead of the CBs like you have.
Fair enough, i guess its each to their own in that respect.

Also i didn't mention that he also has Best on that side, so if we do manage to nick the ball back while Sammer bursts forward it's unlikely Best will be busting a gut to get back. That's why he is more suited to a back 5.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I haven't sold it as much yet but Breitner and Rummenigge had a great understanding and combined for club and country consistently well, resulting in many goals scored. Credit to @Joga Bonito for these Gifs:

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Sir Bobby respect on the the great Kaiser:
"When I think back to '66, Franz and I spent most of the day looking at each other and as a result we didn't contribute anything to the match in a really positive way. We were so busy making sure each other didn't do anything that we cancelled each other out. It's probably why we've become such good friends - because we started so close to each other.

"He was a great player, very positive, very fast and always dangerous. So it was my job to stop him in 1966 and 1970. He was the most dangerous player they had. He could do extraordinary things with his pace, control and ability, but if someone ran with him all the time it seemed to limit his danger." https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-rematch-for-bobby-and-the-kaiser-1138129.html
It is a shame those two never met each other in their primes. In 1966, Beckenbauer was just 20 years old and in 1970, Charlton was already 32. Charlton has been described as being too old and slow to follow Beckenbauer all game, der Kaiser scored the first German goal and Charlton was subbed off later. So while that "cancelling each other out" holds up for the game in 66, I don't think it does for the one in 1970.

Since they cancelled each other out when one was in his prime and one was just 20 years old, I believe it is a bit of a myth to suggest they would cancel each other out when both were at the same age, rather I would think Beckenbauer would have the upper hand. Since this is pure fantasy and has no historical evidence whatsoever, I am perfectly fine with people thinking they would cancel each other out based on the game in 66. Just my personal opinion that that wouldn't happen with Beckenbauer in his prime, most certainly also influenced by me being a big fan of Beckenbauer like others are big fans of Best or Giggs.

It's the same question like Beckenbauer, though. Is he great on back four?

Also here, Sammer has Gentile and Ayala flanking him. Two tough tackling, no-nonsense CBs.
Is that a joke?:p

For the record, I have repeatedly said before that Sammer should be perfectly fine in a back 4, no questions asked.

Baraja generally was more defensive in the Valencia team with Mendieta and Kily Gonzalez as the more attacking players.
Thanks for clearing that up:)

Cheers for the feedback. I put Beckenbauer there in almost a 'free role' he's not tasked of marking Sir Bobby out of the game. That's why i have surrounded him with runners in midfield who can cover for him when he surges forward and 2 of the best man markers behind him (Forster/Buchwald) to pick up the attackers behind him.

As for the striker, i'm guessing Muller? if so, he's way out of my budget. I think we have plenty of routes to goal:

- Kalle vs Irwin
- Klinsmann has the knack of scoring whoever he plays against
- You know of Schafer's goal threat
- Breitner long shots
- All of my midfielders are able to make those penetrating runs into the box to score, and he only has Pluskal in midfield who is able to track these runs.
I know Muller is too expensive. I think there are a few German strikers who were excellent goalscorers and much better in the air than Klinsmann. Klaus Fischer and Miro Klose are the two names I would suggest. I will post more on Klaus Fischer at a different point and time, he deserves to have an expanded profile:)

If you had gone for one of those, you would have had a very big advantage, since you would have had one of the best crossers in the game and a great header of the ball vs two CBs who were 1.77 and 1.80. Just hypothetical though

Edit: Didn't want to take over the discussion, will quietly follow the game from now on:wenger:

Last edited:

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good work by harms on this all touch video.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I know Muller is too expensive. I think there are a few German strikers who were excellent goalscorers and much better in the air than Klinsmann. Klaus Fischer and Miro Klose are the two names I would suggest. I will post more on Klaus Fischer at a different point and time, he deserves to have an expanded profile:)

If you had gone for one of those, you would have had a very big advantage, since you would have had one of the best crossers in the game and a great header of the ball vs two CBs who were 1.77 and 1.80. Just hypothetical though
Ah yeah some good choices, but unfortunately i doubt Klose would get much love in these drafts, however i agree a very effective player. But, Klinsmann wasn't bad in the air either, he scored many headers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's the same question like Beckenbauer, though. Is he great on back four?
I mean he literally played in a back four all of his career (bar a few years as a midfielder)? Not sure how it's similar to Sammer situation.
I'm not against Sammer in 4 by the way, but I think that it's an interesting point of discussion

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ah yeah some good choices, but unfortunately i doubt Klose would get much love in these drafts, however i agree a very effective player. But, Klinsmann wasn't bad in the air either, he scored many headers.
Yeah, always loved these two diving headers:

(2.20)

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Fischer has barely appeared in these drafts, which is strange for a goalscorer of his pedigree.
I don't think it's that weird, his profile is not big enough to catch the attention of non-German drafters. He also plays in a position where there are many great (and more flashy) alternatives available, unlike fullback / libero / DM, where everyone loves their Germans.

He never won a big title because he played for Schalke. He also missed out on a big career with Germany for several reasons, like heavy competition for places, him being banned by the DFB and him breaking his leg right before the Euros in 1980.

Still I hope to change that when I finally manage to take part in one of these drafts:)

Let me just say for now: He was not only a great goalscorer, but also a scorer of great goals:drool:

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
At first glance of the attack of the opposition I can understand why someone would vote for them, but looking at the tactical battle and the points raised in this thread I do believe my team would win this game. My opponent hasn't come back with anything of substance to refute the points made and not sure how much more I can talk to myself and post videos :lol:.

Appreciate the feedback given already from the regular drafters who will look at the matchup in more detail.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
At first glance of the attack of the opposition I can understand why someone would vote for them, but looking at the tactical battle and the points raised in this thread I do believe my team would win this game. My opponent hasn't come back with anything of substance to refute the points made and not sure how much more I can talk to myself and post videos :lol:.

Appreciate the feedback given already from the regular drafters who will look at the matchup in more detail.
Not much to say, really. It really depends on how you want to see your game out. Yours dominate the midfield battle, mine dominate the attack. Defensive wise, yours is more conservative, mine is more adventurous.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The way I see it the Germans will have most of the ball, their midfield is a cut above Iso's. Iso does have a good defence but I don't think they will be able to hold out all game especially against Kalle with the creativity in the midfield.

Iso will be a threat on the counter but they don't have the ideal midfield to move the ball quickly up front. A 433 with Charlton a bit deeper may have been better to allow smoother transitions. Plus the Germans have a very solid defence too.

Given they will have proportionally more attacks that will count I'm going for a narrow German win.

idmanager

It's the libero vs sweeper discussion, we've had before. If Passarella, I'd put him ahead. If Picchi, I'd put him behind.
I think the positioning should be much more to do with the tactics in place rather than just the type of player.

He should be placed between the 2 CB's if he is going to be play making from the deep but minding the box more proactively and providing a strong defensive base. Especially needed against teams with 2 strikers.

He should be placed in midfield if he is constantly going to be involved in the midfield battle. In a game like this against Charlton, its obvious where the red zones of his are going to be. 2 good stoppers to mind a opposition setup like this with only RVP as the lone striker is good enough. Putting Kaiser in there is just a waste of resource at times IMO.

The midfield placement gives him way more freedom tactically. And when you come up against an all time great number 10, I would almost always place Kaiser there.

Personally for me, a team built around Beckenbauer should never have him between 2 CB's in a 5 man defense. Give him the absolute freedom and the license to directly deal with the best opposition player in the middle (Pele/Maradona/Cruyff/Charlton) and see him run the game from top to bottom. (Which is what seems to be done here)

You could argue Gemany didn't do that consistently, but Germany never played a 5 man defense with Kaiser consistently. In a 4 man defense, no matter how great he was, he would leave gaps at times if you were to give him absolute freedom.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just tagging a few people who shown interest in the match but haven't voted @Don Alfredo @Pat_Mustard @Enigma_87 if you have any further queries on my team or the match? I think tactically I'm set up perfectly against his strengths in attack.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Bump

Enigma_87

You know who
Just tagging a few people who shown interest in the match but haven't voted @Don Alfredo @Pat_Mustard @Enigma_87 if you have any further queries on my team or the match? I think tactically I'm set up perfectly against his strengths in attack.
Going back and forth with it mate really. Love both set ups. To me you have done a great job pulling a team like that considering it's all German and with all the restrictions.

On the other hand - Charlton, Best and Giggs is just fantastic. Iso's defensive line is pretty well structured as well and Pluskal can drop in to protect Sammer's forays. IMO Iso has more quality through the ranks in terms of individual players, but your set up and Breitnigge makes it really tough to vote against it.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Going back and forth with it mate really. Love both set ups. To me you have done a great job pulling a team like that considering it's all German and with all the restrictions.

On the other hand - Charlton, Best and Giggs is just fantastic. Iso's defensive line is pretty well structured as well and Pluskal can drop in to protect Sammer's forays. IMO Iso has more quality through the ranks in terms of individual players, but your set up and Breitnigge makes it really tough to vote against it.
No worries mate, given the names on display I can understand that.

Thanks for the input.

Pat_Mustard

Sorry mate, I fannied out and called it a draw. Loved your midfield and felt you'd exert substantial control over the game, but for all that Breitner/Rummenigge is a top notch proven partnership down your right wing and your best route to goal I liked the similarly proven Irwin/Giggs partnership to mitigate it to an extent. Would still have voted for you except for thinking that Best was as likely a match-winner as anyone - it's probably unfair on Briegel but I kept thinking of him struggling against Conti at WC 82 and saw Best tying him in knots at times.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I couldn't decide:( The most probable result would be Beckenbauer winning the game because he is too much for Charlton to handle, but as I said before that theory is a bit subjective by my side and I didn't want to be the Germany fan who votes for the German team because of a very subjective impression of his heroes:lol:

Tough luck for going out because of 1 vote, you drafted a great team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Very little in it. I fancied Rummenigge to be too direct for Irwin/Ayala to handle, but that was about it. Both drafted really well.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I couldn't decide:( The most probable result would be Beckenbauer winning the game because he is too much for Charlton to handle, but as I said before that theory is a bit subjective by my side and I didn't want to be the Germany fan who votes for the German team because of a very subjective impression of his heroes:lol:

Tough luck for going out because of 1 vote, you drafted a great team.
What's the point in me drafting a German team if I can't win the vote of a German :(

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@2mufc0
Tough luck, mate. At least, yours aged better.

:lol:

Congrats mate, will be rooting for you now just need to get a better midfielder in and you're good to go.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol:

Congrats mate, will be rooting for you now just need to get a better midfielder in and you're good to go.
Hey. Thanks a lot. Just sell me Breitner and Beckenbauer for cheap later.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ok, I am late once again.

So, the game was between Manchester United and Germany.

Hum, I think I would have voted for @2mufc0 : so many versatile players who are able to do everything.

I expect Isotope to upgrade his central midfield