Paratici - Spurs' DoF: Ongoing assessment

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A lot of these transfer gurus seem to have their reputation from certain spells where everything worked out well for them. There is a lot of luck involved. Look at Spurs where they had the spell where they got Eriksen, Alli, Alderweireld, Dembele etc for peanuts, they've had nowhere the transfer success since.

Everyone has the same data now and it's harder to find an edge in the market (we still manage to get left behind though).

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Or maybe people who actually follow the club know that after Marotta left he was in shambles, and unable to do his sporting director job by himself. He managed to give Rabiot( who he thought was a 10/10 player in every aspect of the game, and followed for years, despite everything) and Ramsey 7m net and didn't bought a decent midfielder for year + multiple horrible transfers and management. Just because you have to defend him now you don't need to bash on entire fanbase.
I dont bash a fan base. All I saying is, they have prior history turning on their young player(s) and show regret in hindsight
No DoF is perfect, everyone make mistakes - even Monchi who was a flop at Roma. I am not defending Paratici - rather saying jury is still out for him at Spurs. At the very least, he hasnt spent much till now.

Boh

Supports
Juventus
I dont bash a fan base. All I saying is, they have prior history turning on their young player(s) and show regret in hindsight
No DoF is perfect, everyone make mistakes - even Monchi who was a flop at Roma. I am not defending Paratici - rather saying jury is still out for him at Spurs. At the very least, he hasnt spent much till now.
De ligt is young and loved. Dybala is loved since ages, also from his younger days. So was Pogba at the time, when he was still 19, and Marchisio+ all the others infinite examples. If you're good you'll be liked more,young or not, i think it happens in most of the clubs i guess. Bentancur( in the last years) and Kulusevski just didn't have the best performances, but they're not hated

KillVearn

Supports
Juventus
I partied for two nights in a row and got wasted like I could before the pandemic, only to celebrate the departure of Kulusevski and Bentancur. I can't believe Paratici managed to fund Vlahovic for us while overpaying two awful players. Bentancur is one of the most reckless and useless midfielders I have ever seen at Juve, even Tiago Mendes or Aquilani were way better than him to say the least.
Kulusevski is the typical product of the recent Italian youth system: too much of emphasys on the athletic build and almost none on the class/techincal prowess. They will both fail miserably, they are not EPL level.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
I partied for two nights in a row and got wasted like I could before the pandemic, only to celebrate the departure of Kulusevski and Bentancur. I can't believe Paratici managed to fund Vlahovic for us while overpaying two awful players. Bentancur is one of the most reckless and useless midfielders I have ever seen at Juve, even Tiago Mendes or Aquilani were way better than him to say the least.
Kulusevski is the typical product of the recent Italian youth system: too much of emphasys on the athletic build and almost none on the class/techincal prowess. They will both fail miserably, they are not EPL level.
Yeah, I heard the same thing from Juve fans, when Allegri wouldnt use Coman and sent to Bayern.

If Bentancur is average, why did he play 180+ times in last 4 seasons for Juve ? Against a pressing Brighton side, Bentancur looked a class above when he came on. Conte wanted them, he has got them. 15m£ is cheap for what his prior experience is. Certainly improves Spurs midfield.

And if Kulusevski is bad as you claim, then his loan wont be successful and he will go back to Juve. If Kulusevski is to be paid full fee, he has to be success at Tottenham in next 18 months.

So, its just laughable to say both funded Vlahovic deals and yet they will fail miserably ?

Pintu

I can't believe Paratici managed to fund Vlahovic for us while overpaying two awful players.
Good, because he didn’t. Vlahovic was bought for 81 M. (+ 10 bonus)

You sold Bentancur for 19, of which around half is going to Boca Juniors. And the loan fee for Kulusevski is 3 M this year and 7 M next year. The 20 M total you got for them so far is not really gonna fund Vlahovic.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Only 15 minutes but Bentancur looked pretty good when he came on yesterday, Kulusevski did ok but struggled a bit with the pace of the game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I suspect this post will age like milk.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Only 15 minutes but Bentancur looked pretty good when he came on yesterday, Kulusevski did ok but struggled a bit with the pace of the game.
Dont think he struggled pace wise , rather he looked out of sync with others in transition. More games he plays with others, he could improve.
He was pressing well, induced a mistake upfield with his press and fed it to Bergwijn, who missed a sitter. Another day, Kulusevski could have had 2 assists in 15 minutes

Boh

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, I heard the same thing from Juve fans, when Allegri wouldnt use Coman and sent to Bayern.

If Bentancur is average, why did he play 180+ times in last 4 seasons for Juve ? Against a pressing Brighton side, Bentancur looked a class above when he came on. Conte wanted them, he has got them. 15m£ is cheap for what his prior experience is. Certainly improves Spurs midfield.

And if Kulusevski is bad as you claim, then his loan wont be successful and he will go back to Juve. If Kulusevski is to be paid full fee, he has to be success at Tottenham in next 18 months.

So, its just laughable to say both funded Vlahovic deals and yet they will fail miserably ?
Allegri used Coman, but he was 18y old and didn't really fit the formation that we were using( nearly won a treble with that). Bentancur started because thanks to Paratici signings our midfield was average, and he was part of that. Anyway, he was 5th ot of 7 for minutes played for midfielders in Juve squad this season( But, Ramsey and Arthur barely count, because they were injured, so he's pratically last). I think both him and Kulu (who's obligation will trigger if he gets 15 starts next year or if Tottenham reaches top4, so even if he plays bad) could do well, also because of lower pressure.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Allegri used Coman, but he was 18y old and didn't really fit the formation that we were using( nearly won a treble with that). Bentancur started because thanks to Paratici signings our midfield was average, and he was part of that. Anyway, he was 5th ot of 7 for minutes played for midfielders in Juve squad this season( But, Ramsey and Arthur barely count, because they were injured, so he's pratically last). I think both him and Kulu (who's obligation will trigger if he gets 15 starts next year or if Tottenham reaches top4, so even if he plays bad) could do well, also because of lower pressure.
The very same Coman at 18years started for Bayern that season wasnt deemed good enough by Allegri - tells more about Allegri use of young players than about the player or recruitment of that player. After leaving Juve, in 2 years time, Coman scored the winner in CL finals... a cup which is still sought out by Juve.

As for as Bentancur & Kulusevski - both have settled well. Against City - especially Kulusevski did a perfect job playing under pressure and scoring 1 and assisting 1.
Both are already fan favourites and has full backing of Conte.

Even though its far too early, looks like the 2 players are a hit for Paratici.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The very same Coman at 18years started for Bayern that season wasnt deemed good enough by Allegri - tells more about Allegri use of young players than about the player or recruitment of that player. After leaving Juve, in 2 years time, Coman scored the winner in CL finals... a cup which is still sought out by Juve.

As for as Bentancur & Kulusevski - both have settled well. Against City - especially Kulusevski did a perfect job playing under pressure and scoring 1 and assisting 1.

At top clubs, you need to be ready and win. Bayern being full of world class players could nurture and wait for the eccentric Coman after his juvenile stints at PSG and Juve. Tottenham can now accommodate and wait for the further development of Bentancur and Kulusevski because there is less pressure to win.

Boh

Supports
Juventus

I'm happy they are doing well, i still root for them. But anyways, why Allegri( which among young players Pogba had the best season of his club career with, Dybala was/is great with him, de Ligt is doing weel etc...) should've changed a nearly treble winning for an 18y old Coman, very good player, but we are not talking about Mbappe. Anyways, at Juve players bought or sold aren't really decided by the managers, who utmost only ask about characteristics of the players they want. Coman was sold by Marotta and Paratici because of money and because he wasn't an essential player, with that money they went and built good squads. Win win for everyone

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I apologise. They seem to absolutely know what they are doing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Doing a great job, United should have hired him but you know...

Kostov

What great job has he done?
He did the "impossible" according to the Redcafe and signed 6 players, and all that before the season even started. Never mind the number, most of them are good layers actually and seems to know what he is doing.

pascell

Yeah, but has he improved the youth and women's team? I think not.
He's been in the post one year, improving the youth doesn't happen in one year, its a process and you have to start from the very younger age groups, look at how we ourselves changed it up a while back.

Do Spurs not have a ladies DoF? I'm guessing Levy set a list of priorities and the highest on that list was improving the men's team and get them consistently into the top 4 to appease Conte.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
He's been in the post one year, improving the youth doesn't happen in one year, its a process and you have to start from the very younger age groups, look at how we ourselves changed it up a while back.

Do Spurs not have a ladies DoF? I'm guessing Levy set a list of priorities and the highest on that list was improving the men's team and get them consistently into the top 4 to appease Conte.
He was being sarcastic as people claim those are Mourtough’s supposed achievements which somehow made him fit to be DoF for the men’s team.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Ah I see how you got confused with my sarcasm due to the fact many people have been peddling that as some sort of pinnacle of football Murtough has achieved.

But I agree with you, I said many times during this summer that what Spurs have done had been a great way to go about it, and was actually (unsurprisingly) told how stupid it was comparing us and Spurs.

The fact they hired Conte and Patrici after realising their mistake in hiring Nuno Santo is to be commended, then they went on to sign Bentacur and Kulusevski in January to help them achieve top four (whilst we hired a sporting director as a manager and Ted Lasso) then went into the summer window with the goal of signing the right players to fit Conte.

And we signed a freebie (fighting with Brentford) a back up left back and the smallest CB in football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah, but has he improved the youth and women's team? I think not.
:lol: 10 points!

Its really, really grating experienced Football Directors at other teams bringing in quality players they've scouted and identified, that suit the coaches they've chosen to employ. Like there's, you know, some kind of f'n plan behind what they're doing.

At United we waste time and money because we don't have a Paratici, a Campos, a Monchi, a Rangnick. There's no long term strategy. There's no plan. Its just put it all on the manager and cross your fingers. :rolleyes:

pascell

Ah I see how you got confused with my sarcasm due to the fact many people have been peddling that as some sort of pinnacle of football Murtough has achieved.

But I agree with you, I said many times during this summer that what Spurs have done had been a great way to go about it, and was actually (unsurprisingly) told how stupid it was comparing us and Spurs.

The fact they hired Conte and Patrici after realising their mistake in hiring Nuno Santo is to be commended, then they went on to sign Bentacur and Kulusevski in January to help them achieve top four (whilst we hired a sporting director as a manager and Ted Lasso) then went into the summer window with the goal of signing the right players to fit Conte.

And we signed a freebie (fighting with Brentford) a back up left back and the smallest CB in football.
My apologies, I didn't get the sarcasm :lol:but I fully agree regarding Murtough, some were lauding him for that work, the men's team is a whole different stratosphere.

Yeah unfortunately Spurs have got it right, just at the right time too after rotating poor manager after poor manager.

I'd still prefer to have Rangnick in charge of transfers than Murtough.

BerryBerryShrew

While he has done a good job so far, it seems like a fairly easy job to get right. I mean signing Kulu on a loan to buy and signing Bissouma for £30m are moves that a 5 year old would have enough cop on to make.

I feel like our own abject incompetence is making others look better than they are.

Eg. I say buy Bennacer and Fabian Ruiz for a combined fee of £60m. Obvious no? Instead we're going with Rabiot and Antony. The Caf would make a far better DOF than our lot.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
While he has done a good job so far, it seems like a fairly easy job to get right. I mean signing Kulu on a loan to buy and signing Bissouma for £30m are moves that a 5 year old would have enough cop on to make.

I feel like our own abject incompetence is making others look better than they are.

Eg. I say buy Bennacer and Fabian Ruiz for a combined fee of £60m. Obvious no? Instead we're going with Rabiot and Antony. The Caf would make a far better DOF than our lot.
So why did no other clubs do it if it was that easy? He has done a remarkable job so far not only with the clear identification of targets and swiftness of getting them in, he has also done a great job getting rid of players we don't need (which is just as difficult as getting good players in sometimes) and no doubt will will sell on a few more in the coming weeks. He has helped to transform our squad within a year and is really proving his worth.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Conte has a much better squad that's more suited to his playstyle than the one he inherited eight months ago.
It remains to be seen how good these signings are.

I remember that transferwindow when they sold Bale and signed a bunch of players and practically all but 1 (Eriksen) turned out bang average. I know Paratici wasn't at Spurs then but the point is: it remains to be seen how good the signings are.

Telsim

What great job has he done?
I can guarantee you Conte is a lot more uncompromising in his vision than Ten Hag and will walk on the spot if he feels he isn't getting the type of players he wants. (there was a reason he wasn't brought here) Paratici has managed to oblige him, which is an achievement in itself.

Why hasn't Murtough The Great done the same then?

BerryBerryShrew

So why did no other clubs do it if it was that easy? He has done a remarkable job so far not only with the clear identification of targets and swiftness of getting them in, he has also done a great job getting rid of players we don't need (which is just as difficult as getting good players in sometimes) and no doubt will will sell on a few more in the coming weeks. He has helped to transform our squad within a year and is really proving his worth.
I honestly don't know. But I'm sure you would have signed Bissouma for £30m yourself if you had been in his position. It's hardly a rabbit out of a hat. Like I say, he is clearly better than most DOF's but that seems to be more due to the fact that he actually watches the odd game as opposed to pure moneymen (like ours) getting the jobs at other clubs and looking at Balance Sheets rather than matches.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I honestly don't know. But I'm sure you would have signed Bissouma for £30m yourself if you had been in his position. It's hardly a rabbit out of a hat. Like I say, he is clearly better than most DOF's but that seems to be more due to the fact that he actually watches the odd game as opposed to pure moneymen (like ours) getting the jobs at other clubs and looking at Balance Sheets rather than matches.
The difference here is that we have been so much more decisive and quick in the market than we have ever been before - it's not just about the players we bring in, it's getting the bulk of our business done very early in the window. That is unheard of for Spurs as we usually leave it till late in the window to try and get the best price. He has totally transformed the way the club has acted in terms of transfer strategy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I remember that transferwindow when they sold Bale and signed a bunch of players and practically all but 1 (Eriksen) turned out bang average. I know Paratici wasn't at Spurs then but the point is: it remains to be seen how good the signings are.
Of course it does, that's the case with every transfer ever.

It doesn't mean he hasn't given his manager exactly what he wanted and practically half a new team in two windows, and before the opening game of the season, which is what a good DoF should do.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
:lol: 10 points!

Its really, really grating experienced Football Directors at other teams bringing in quality players they've scouted and identified, that suit the coaches they've chosen to employ. Like there's, you know, some kind of f'n plan behind what they're doing.

At United we waste time and money because we don't have a Paratici, a Campos, a Monchi, a Rangnick. There's no long term strategy. There's no plan. Its just put it all on the manager and cross your fingers. :rolleyes:
I managed to catch @Pascal! :lol:

I know! It's quite maddening to see posters reduce the valid criticisms of some fans to them just wanting signings etc, like signings alone will appease the negativity, it won't.

I've said since the beginning that transfers should be started a year in advanced at least, Kessie was on his last year of his contract last summer, we should jave been talking to him amongst many others about joining, as it turns out Barca got in there early and sealed it.

As it is it seems our director of football doesn't understand that you can talk to clubs/players anytime you want, not just transfer window time - we've fallen arse backwards into signings Ten Hag, we have/had no idea what sort of players suit his style, which is why player selection has been left to him, we need a DoF who knows what style to play and hires players/managers based on that style.

When Ten Hag leaves, and he will leave at some point if this mess continues because he himself doesn't want to be stuck in a 5 year rebuild (who the feck would?) then the next appointment will be telling, my guess is we'll go for a manager with a totally different style, which means back to square -1 *again*.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I managed to catch @Pascal! :lol:

I know! It's quite maddening to see posters reduce the valid criticisms of some fans to them just wanting signings etc, like signings alone will appease the negativity, it won't.

I've said since the beginning that transfers should be started a year in advanced at least, Kessie was on his last year of his contract last summer, we should jave been talking to him amongst many others about joining, as it turns out Barca got in there early and sealed it.

As it is it seems our director of football doesn't understand that you can talk to clubs/players anytime you want, not just transfer window time - we've fallen arse backwards into signings Ten Hag, we have/had no idea what sort of players suit his style, which is why player selection has been left to him, we need a DoF who knows what style to play and hires players/managers based on that style.

When Ten Hag leaves, and he will leave at some point if this mess continues because he himself doesn't want to be stuck in a 5 year rebuild (who the feck would?) then the next appointment will be telling, my guess is we'll go for a manager with a totally different style, which means back to square -1 *again*.
100%. It speaks to the lack of strategy within the club.

For example, I know when Pep leaves City they will find another coach from that Cruyff school of thinking to come in and manage the squad. They won't do a 180 and go for Diego Simeone because they know how they want to play, and they know what type of coach and players suit that. Same with Liverpool. When Klopp leaves they'll go get a Gegenpressing coach like Nagelsmann and the band will just keep playing with a different conductor.

With us we'll go from a bunch of Ajax style, Dutch possession players to something totally different. We know that because we've already done it before: Van Gaal to Mourinho.

There's no direction from the Board. We're a business that has no plan for meeting its objectives and no purpose other than acting as the Glazers' slush fund. A slush fund they care so little about they haven't even hired competent people to take care of it for them.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Precisely this. Im not sold on Perisic , yet. Bissouma is a solid option but we all knew it. They paid 60m for Richarlison and rest all are kids.

I will reserve my judgement.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Precisely this. Im not sold on Perisic , yet. Bissouma is a solid option but we all knew it. They paid 60m for Richarlison and rest all are kids.

I will reserve my judgement.
What about Bentancur, Romero and Kulusevski? Also, the window is not closed yet, I think we will bring in one or two more - he has almost had 2 windows now and personally I couldn't be more impressed.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Bentancaur, Kulusevski and Romero have already proven themselves superb additions though and that's literally running through the spine of the team.

The transfers this window may end up being crap, who knows. But he's at least moved quickly and decisively to add players the manager wanted, on the positions he wanted and with a good bit of experience too.

We've only bought one player who could be conceivably called a kid so not entirely sure where that bit has come from.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
100%. It speaks to the lack of strategy within the club.

For example, I know when Pep leaves City they will find another coach from that Cruyff school of thinking to come in and manage the squad. They won't do a 180 and go for Diego Simeone because they know how they want to play, and they know what type of coach and players suit that. Same with Liverpool. When Klopp leaves they'll go get a Gegenpressing coach like Nagelsmann and the band will just keep playing with a different conductor.

With us we'll go from a bunch of Ajax style, Dutch possession players to something totally different. We know that because we've already done it before: Van Gaal to Mourinho.

There's no direction from the Board. We're a business that has no plan for meeting its objectives and no purpose other than acting as the Glazers' slush fund. A slush fund they care so little about they haven't even hired competent people to take care of it for them.
Mmhmm, but you'll be told to stop crying about no signings and you're not a real fan with that attitude...

...I had an a debate with a poster when Maguire got booed in Australia about fans not simply booing that particular games but the state of the club/players in general, apparently booing makes you a fake fan, didn't like it when I pointed out the apathetic fans are more of an issue than fans showing their disdain for the running of the club - was soon met with green smilies.

Unfortunately the caf has a herd mentality, and unless you follow the herd you're a fake fan and impatient.

Sad really.