Paratici - Spurs' DoF: Ongoing assessment

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Best thing I can say about Paratici is , he has just stuck to basics & avoided risks - He fished in the pond he knows. When the summer came on, it seems a theme that Conte wanted players who are PL ready physically. If there were deals we could do on loan, that was preferred like Romero, Kulu - so risk is reduced.

Paratici went mostly into English PL market this summer - getting Forster, Bissouma, Richarlison - so chance of failure is minimal because players capability are known.

Paratici didnt like the academy setup & has revamped it. Also, we are now buying talents for next year now - we did it with Pape Sarr (African young player of the year) last season and now upcoming signing of Destiny Udogie.

So far so (very) good.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I honestly thought we were incapable of ever signing a decent player again but Romero and Kulusevski have been superb and Bentancur isn't far behind, especially for the fee(£16m). Also anyone saying Kulusevski was an obvious signing is pure hindsight, at the time all I recall reading was how painfully slow and average he was and how Juve had rinsed us.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The difference here is that we have been so much more decisive and quick in the market than we have ever been before - it's not just about the players we bring in, it's getting the bulk of our business done very early in the window. That is unheard of for Spurs as we usually leave it till late in the window to try and get the best price. He has totally transformed the way the club has acted in terms of transfer strategy.
Bingo. Transfer season is a year-round thing, something which the United hierarchy still doesn't seem to have grasped. Clubs that wait until the opening of the transfer window to work on transfers will inevitably be left behind.

Vapor trail

While he has done a good job so far, it seems like a fairly easy job to get right. I mean signing Kulu on a loan to buy and signing Bissouma for £30m are moves that a 5 year old would have enough cop on to make.

I feel like our own abject incompetence is making others look better than they are.

Eg. I say buy Bennacer and Fabian Ruiz for a combined fee of £60m. Obvious no? Instead we're going with Rabiot and Antony. The Caf would make a far better DOF than our lot.
That's absolute rubbish, Kulu was having a torrid time at Juventus. Bissouma was not pursued by any top clubs previously even when supposedly available for 50 odd million no one took a chance on him.

Compared to Murtoughs start it's easy to see that even the likes of Brighton have a better DOF. The only thing that feels right at United is the manager who still has much to prove. Every single individual beneath the Glazers has to be considered a joke within their roles at this point.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Arsenal before Edu's appointment was in a complete mess. He had done a great job.
Arsenal have spent a fortune under Edu - mostly to undo the mess that was created in first place.

Edu appointed DoF in July 2019. Edu appointed Arteta in Dec 2019

As per transfermarkt.com
  1. Tierney - 27m EUR (Good , but been injured a lot)
  2. Saliba - 30m EUR (Good)
  3. Martenelli - 7m EUR (Good)
  4. Pepe - 80m EUR (Flop)
  5. Pablo Mari - 8m EUR Loan fee (Flop)
  6. David Luiz - 9m EUR (Flop)
  7. Partey - 50m Eur (Good - first year non-existent)
  8. Gabriel - 26m Eur (good)
  9. Ben White - 59m Eur (Jury out - overpaid)
  10. Odegaard - 35m Eur (good)
  11. Ramsdale - 28m Eur (good for now)
  12. Tomiyasu -18m Eur (Good, jury out on injury record)
  13. Sambi Lokanga - 19m Eur (Jury out)
  14. Taveres - 8m Eur (Flop)
  15. Gabriel - 52m Eur
  16. Vieira - 35m Eur
  17. Zinchenko -35m Eur
  18. Aubameyang - New deal given (Flop)
Total spent under Edu - 545m Eur
This is just fee - doesnt include the new deal given to Aubameyang & subsequently gave him up....

Edu signed Willian for huge money & they let him go. Arteta was there, when Aubameyang was given the new deal. Then both again, ofloaded him to save wages. Then there are others like Guendouzi, Leno who have been undersold way too less.

In June 2022, for a week or so, Arsenal had zero strikers on book. Now, they have Jesus & home grown Nkiteah. Infact, best player of Arsenal Saka is homegrown.

For the amount spent, Arsenal still have very unbalanced squad.
There have been few gems bought - I am not denying that.

But I cannot accept Edu has been terrific or done a great job - more like Edu has been learning on the job like Arteta. For both of them, this is crucial season. Arsenal have to finish in CL

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have spent a fortune under Edu - mostly to undo the mess that was created in first place.

Edu appointed DoF in July 2019. Edu appointed Arteta in Dec 2019

As per transfermarkt.com
  1. Tierney - 27m EUR (Good , but been injured a lot)
  2. Saliba - 30m EUR (Good)
  3. Martenelli - 7m EUR (Good)
  4. Pepe - 80m EUR (Flop)
  5. Pablo Mari - 8m EUR Loan fee (Flop)
  6. David Luiz - 9m EUR (Flop)
  7. Partey - 50m Eur (Good - first year non-existent)
  8. Gabriel - 26m Eur (good)
  9. Ben White - 59m Eur (Jury out - overpaid)
  10. Odegaard - 35m Eur (good)
  11. Ramsdale - 28m Eur (good for now)
  12. Tomiyasu -18m Eur (Good, jury out on injury record)
  13. Sambi Lokanga - 19m Eur (Jury out)
  14. Taveres - 8m Eur (Flop)
  15. Gabriel - 52m Eur
  16. Vieira - 35m Eur
  17. Zinchenko -35m Eur
  18. Aubameyang - New deal given (Flop)
I don't think Pepe is his signing, and i don't blame him for Auba's new deal after the season he had for us and won us the FA cup. Wilian is joined for free, and the idea is to add experience in a young squad, but it didn't work. To me he is doing a very good job and I have no complaint.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think Pepe is his signing, and i don't blame him for Auba's new deal after the season he had for us and won us the FA cup. Wilian is joined for free, and the idea is to add experience in a young squad, but it didn't work. To me he is doing a very good job and I have no complaint.

Martinelli in summer of 2019 was first Edu's signing. Followed by Saliba. Pepe joined a month after Martinelli (after Arsenal couldnt get Zaha).
Point on Willian & Luiz not working is - its been trial & error by Edu. Only in last 12 months, Edu has settled on a coherent plan. As of today, Arsenal is going into a season with a unbalanced squad for all the money spent.

BerryBerryShrew

That's absolute rubbish, Kulu was having a torrid time at Juventus. Bissouma was not pursued by any top clubs previously even when supposedly available for 50 odd million no one took a chance on him.

Compared to Murtoughs start it's easy to see that even the likes of Brighton have a better DOF. The only thing that feels right at United is the manager who still has much to prove. Every single individual beneath the Glazers has to be considered a joke within their roles at this point.
They signed Kulu on loan to buy though. It's not like he stumped up £30m straight up on a talented player who was struggling for a team with no idea how to play him- they got him for a tiny loan fee: it made perfect sense even in hindsight. As for Bissouma, maybe you should check out his thread here. He was seen as the biggest no brainer of a signing possible. The fact that other clubs weren't interested merely goes to highlight my point: DOF's are dogshit at their jobs and Redcafé has more of a clue than most of them.
Paratici isn't really doing anything that I myself wouldn't do as a fan- and there are guys on this forum whose knowledge of football dwarfs mine. The fact that he is one of the better DOF's is more to do with other DOF's being terrible than him being great.
Just for the record: Fabian Ruiz and Bennacer. £30m each. Guarantee that they will prove better than anything we come up with.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Martinelli in summer of 2019 was first Edu's signing. Followed by Saliba. Pepe joined a month after Martinelli (after Arsenal couldnt get Zaha).
Point on Willian & Luiz not working is - its been trial & error by Edu. Only in last 12 months, Edu has settled on a coherent plan. As of today, Arsenal is going into a season with a unbalanced squad for all the money spent.
Just because Edu was appointed doesn't make them his signings. Edu wasn't really involved in that first window, he said that himself at the time, Raul Sanllehi was in charge of it with his dodgy contacts, hence with the signing of Pepe he paid for it with his job.

So you can discount Tierney, Saliba, Pepe David Luiz from your list, these were all Sanllehi signings.

Something else to bear in mind about Paratici's work this window, is that ENIC made an additional £150M to the team to use in players this window. Would have been a lot harder a transfer window without that additional capital where you would perhaps have to be more careful and balance the books a bit more, perhaps having to wait of force some sales out first.

Last edited: