Le Parc des Princes

Kick-off
Tue, 20 October 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    If we are playing three at the back, Martial looked awesome in Mourinho’s first season when he played in a two, just behind the main striker Nominally on the left, but freed from some of the defensive duties by the wingback. Almost a left sided support striker/Beardsley role.

It was the same role that Conte used Hazard in that season

Reddevil1978

----------------------DDG---------------------
    --AWB---Lindleof--Maguire--Telles--
    ------Pogba------Matic-----VDB--------
    --------------------Bruno-----------------
    ------Greenwood----- Martial--------

Fresh midfield except Bruno, fresh strikers if Greenwood is ok, fresh LB too.

Subs - VDB moves to Bruno's position with Mctominay taking VDB vacated midfield position.

Rashford and Cavani on for the last 20 mins

3-1 United

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Think we’ll go 5 at the back. I think we’ll play:

—————————The Gay————————
    ——Lindelof——Maguire——Shaw——
    -AWB———————————————Telles-
    —————McTominay——Pogba—————
    ————————Fernandes—————————
    ———Rashford———————Martial———​

If team selection were up to me, I’d play the same setup, but with Fosu-Mensah for Lindelof, and Fred or VDB for Pogba.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I am going for a simple 4-0 defeat tomorrow.

Hope that I am wrong but I dont see anything except a heavy defeat.

They're miles ahead in every aspect of their club that it's depressing.

Park the bus is our only hope

---------------------------------------De Gea-----------------------------------
    ---------------Lindelof----------Maguire---------------Shaw----------
    AWB------------------------Pogba----Matic----------------------Telles
    ---------------------------------------Bruno-------------------------------------
    ------------------------Rashford--------Martial---------------------------

Mbappe-------------------------Neymar-----------------------Di Maria
    ----------------------Herrera-------------------Gueye------------------------
    --------------------------------------Danilo--------------------------------------
    Kurzawa----------Kimpembe---------Marquinhos-------Florenzi
    -------------------------------------Navas-----------------------------------------

cyberman

Our midfield is better than theirs, we could win it there.
    Its nothing special behind Neymar and Mbappe if you look at it

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    We are good on the break. I fancy us to give them some problems in that sense. Only issue is if we can keep it tight at the back to give ourselves a chance.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Our midfield is better than theirs, we could win it there.
    Its nothing special behind Neymar and Mbappe if you look at it
    Their front is phenomenal and win games individually and especially thanks to Di Maria.

He's the one finding special passes. Neymar has a tendancy to going back deep while Mbappe is seeking for spaces.

Even if we can close the space behind our defence, we will have too many to do with these three.

Also the 2 CB are far better than ours. Watch out Marquinhos on set pieces (usually on first post).

Anyway, something that can work is having the same tactics as we did two seasons ago at Spurs. With Martial and Rashford playing both on wings and behind their weak full backs, stretching their central defense.

But I don't think this will be the case. PSG are weak against sides that have a big physical impact and great intensity which we don't have.

R77

McTominay needs to play, or that right hand side is going to be Neymar's own personal shipping channel. I'll throw out a wild guess that trying to shepherd him out wide so that AWB can do his thing with the line will help snuff out as much danger from him as possible, though I expect there will be a lot of pressure involving Neymar toward that right half of the area throughout.

Going forward, I think we could score against anyone as long as we turn up, the big question is about how successful we are at dealing with their attacks.

I'm choosing to believe Greenwood may or may not have had a slight niggle, and was rested with homework and the brief to be 110% for this game. There's been a lot to shield him from.

I'm going with;

De Gea
    AWB Linde Maguire Shaw
    McT Matic
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Martial

That midfield offers multiple avenues toward 3 or 5 at the back depending on the situation, and they both pass well enough to initiate front foot play. I'd like to see Telles, his creative ability from deep would be helpful and nice to see here, but I'm not sure this is the game to throw him in.

You'd also like to see VdB in there, but RF/AM or the Matic/Fred spot are both huge punts. Pogba is obv. another biggie. You could imagine he'd really want to turn it on here, but be forgiven for worrying off the ball considering where he'd likely play. Would need a massive performance from him.

Houdini

Their front is phenomenal and win games individually and especially thanks to Di Maria.

He's the one finding special passes. Neymar has a tendancy to going back deep while Mbappe is seeking for spaces.

Even if we can close the space behind our defence, we will have too many to do with these three.

Also the 2 CB are far better than ours. Watch out Marquinhos on set pieces (usually on first post).

Anyway, something that can work is having the same tactics as we did two seasons ago at Spurs. With Martial and Rashford playing both on wings and behind their weak full backs, stretching their central defense.

But I don't think this will be the case. PSG are weak against sides that have a big physical impact and great intensity which we don't have.
    Just 1-2 hard tackles on Di Maria and he will be frustrated.

theklr

Need McT-Fred masterclass again, for energy and intensity . Aside from that our usual suspects . Cant have Pogba slacking and Matic unable to trace back fast enough.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    I think he’s got to play Bailey to try and counter the speed of Neymar and Mbappe. I can see them single handedly winning this one for PSG.

cyberman

But Di Maria is all they have that provides the pass. If its not him then they create for each other and Di Maria isnt exactly some unstoppable force of nature.
    I think theyll have more problems breaking through our midfield and stopping the quick passes from Bruno and Pogba to our front 3 than we will with Herrera etc. When it gets there its a different story but we should definitely hold our own. If we can handle KDB and Sterling then theres nothing to overly fear here.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    If Ole gets the better of PSG over these two games he should be able to take one of their players no questions asked in my opinion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea, Dean Henderson, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Axel Tuanzebe, Victor Lindelof, Luke Shaw, Alex Telles, Brandon Williams, Paul Pogba, Scott McTominay, Bruno Fernandes, Fred, Nemanja Matic, Donny van de Beek, Facundo Pellistri, Daniel James, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Odion Ighalo

ovoxo

No Bailly, and no Maguire. So possibly Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Shaw at the back?

AshRK

No Maguire or Bailly could mean McTominay may play as a CB. I wouldn't mind 3 in the back with Shaw-Lindelof-Tuanzebe/McTominay. Let Telles and AWB be our wing backs. Matic-Pogba-Buno and Rashford-Martial being the front two.

Chief123

I don’t know if anyone noticed it during Newcastle game but there was a moment where Maguire appeared to pull up slightly and reach for the hamstring area. I’m wondering whether that has inflamed after the game.

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    They'll have a player trying to drag Wan Bissaka out of position, leaving their LB to run through the space left. They did this last time when they beat us, and it'd still work now because smaller teams exploit this. We may go 5 at the back with two midfielders sat in front to try to park the bus and counter, though we'll be risking it to concede the ball too much.

IrishRedDevil

What about a back 3 with McTominay playing his Scottish role

——————————De Gea
    ——-—-McTominay - Lindelof - Shaw
    Bissaka ———————————-——Telles
    ——————Pogba - van de Beek
    —————————Fernandes
    ———————Martial - Rashford

K Stand Knut

I don’t know if anyone noticed it during Newcastle game but there was a moment where Maguire appeared to pull up slightly and reach for the hamstring area. I’m wondering whether that has inflamed after the game.
    Yeah, I saw that. Commentary made a comment about it too but then Maguire just seemed to crack on

AshRK

What about a back 3 with McTominay playing his Scottish role

——————————De Gea
    ——-—-McTominay - Lindelof - Shaw
    Bissaka ———————————-——Telles
    ——————Pogba - van de Beek
    —————————Fernandes
    ———————Martial - Rashford
    This is the line up that makes most sense. Maybe Matic instead of VDB, which would allow Pogba Bruno to both go more forward.

croadyman

Shame but had a feeling he wasn't going to travel after only a days training with the team, could have just took him anyway for team spirit much like they have done with Pellistri

Last edited:

Matriac

@Niall can we please get Axel Tuanzebe and Facundo Pellistri selectable in the lineup prediction?

Last edited:

K_Ash

no Maguire and no Bailly..Axel starts then? is he fit enough?...Axel + Lindelof+Shaw..pace-wise with AWB and Telles as WBs would work

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw