Park Ji Sung

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
England could use a Park to man mark Pirlo. Jones anyone?

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I'm not saying Park was this world class player, he had his physical strengths but I think he was a better footballer than many think. He wasn't flashy but he was quite tidy on the ball and very productive.

prarek

I'm not saying Park was this world class player, he had his physical strengths but I think he was a better footballer than many think. He wasn't flashy but he was quite tidy on the ball and very productive.
I agree he actually had a pretty good technique and was comfortable on the ball.

SiRed

Funny how one player can polarise opinions. People posting that he had good technique etc whereas i rank him as one of our worst players (technically) of recent times.

His first touch was so bad that his second touch was always a tackle --- this gives people the impression he worked really hard when infact he was recovering from mistakes half the time.

Im probably being a little harsh, its just seeing his name on our team sheets used to annoy me.

Kag

He's had a cracking career, fair play to him.

Remember when players retiring aged 33 was the norm? Now, we raise our eyebrows.

NM

Not a very good player but at least he was consistently mediocre.
:lol:

Consistently mediocre? Park? What the hell have you been watching?

One of our best players for big games and an able squad player against weaker teams. He was fantastic for us.

Skills

Snitch
Didn't exactly like playing too much football did he? 434 games in 15 seasons - so about 29 games per season. Slacker.

white text

hebegebe

Would take him over our current midfield. I think that says more about our current midfield!

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Is there a compilation out there of Park's full performance against Chelsea in 2011?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Funny how one player can polarise opinions. People posting that he had good technique etc whereas i rank him as one of our worst players (technically) of recent times.

His first touch was so bad that his second touch was always a tackle --- this gives people the impression he worked really hard when infact he was recovering from mistakes half the time.

Im probably being a little harsh, its just seeing his name on our team sheets used to annoy me.
You're right of course. Technically he was pretty poor but in his peak he was a super player overall. A great bargain signing at £4m, one of SAF's best ever. He was underrated for a while, until he became suddenly overrated. He pisses all over what we have seen in the wings for us in recent years.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Was Park set to feature in the WC before he called it a day?

The timing is a bit weird if he could've gone to the WC but has opted not to.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
What a great player and important member of our squad he was. It shows how far the quality of our midfield has fallen, this last season Park in his united prime would have been the first name on the team sheet as far as our midfield was concerned.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have also witnessed Park win us a game pretty much by himself - Wolves at home in 2010... we were gash that day, but Park was brilliant, trying to do everything and scored a cracker in the last minue to get us the win.

It might have only been Wolves at home, but still... there are many players in our current squad who I have yet to see grab a game in such a manner...

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
A source reporting that Park was offered an ambassadorial role with the club. Not sure how reliable it is, but makes sense I guess due to his huge popularity in Asia. He did mention at his retirement press conference that he was getting married this summer and planned on living in Europe as opposed to returning to South Korea. Would be weird seeing a United ambassador so young at 33, but hopefully means his song will carry on. Anyone know if/how much ambassadors with the club actually get paid or is it simply a ceremonial title?

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football...ole-of-brand-ambassador-by-manchester-united/
Recently in headlines for announcing his retirement from international football, Park Ji Sung has been offered a new job by Manchester United. Having announced his retirement on 14 of this month, he has been approached by United to become their club’s brand ambassador joining the ranks of Sir Bobby Charlton, Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, Gary Neville and Andy Cole, other United ambassadors.
Park also played for PSV and QPR, but it was at United he earned all his fame. He won 4 Premier league titles with them and won the award of best Asian player in Europe by FIFA in 2007. He was awarded footballer of the year by Korea football Association in 2010.
This move by United will further boost their fan following in Asia. According to Arriang News, Park is yet to openly declare about the situation.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I remember watching him for PSV against AC Milan I believe. Him and and Lee Yung Pyo as the left wing combo. They took apart a very good AC (as much as a PSV side could take AC apart). They still lost iirc but he was amazing in that game. I was so excited when we signed him after that performance.

Sb_16

Unsung hero

It was really sad to see how quickly he deteriorated in his last season here after having such a good season earlier. From 3 lungs to 2 lungs in 3 months.

Hope the news is true. Its nice to see a true professional still attached with the club.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'd love to see that. It'd be brilliant.

Sure it'd make good business sense with his huge appeal in Asia.

Bwuk

I'd imagine that's what it'll be.

We've lost Kagawa and he needs replaced with a popular character in the asian market.

I've just realised this post sounds slightly racist but you all know what I mean.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
As much as I like Ji as a man and would always welcome him back at United in any non-playing capacity, it's a very cynical and obviously revenue related move if we're bringing him back as an ambassador.

Having him at United instantly raised our profile in South Korea, it was the first time they had a major star playing at a top club. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player and well worth his place in the squad at the time. Bringing him back here in an ambassadorial role is surely aimed at generating cash in the East.

...and that Tweet, regarding exciting news; again, I think it's cynical - there are already people in Asia speculating all over Twitter that Park is coming out of retirment to play for us :lol: - but that's exactly what United wanted when they made the Tweet, to start an erroneous rumour that would get us more publicity overseas.