Pathetic fans booing Maguire

quadrant

Never understood booing your own players. It’s literally trying to make the team play worse. Complaining in the pub afters, fine. Groaning out of frustration, fine, we all do that. But targeting a player and booing them during a game? Feck right off.

M16Red

I doubt it really bothered him, he has nothing to prove.

We are trying to sell him, he's not fit for purpose, he's cost us the sevilla game.

I'd Boo the sh*t out of him,

Judas

Open to offers
It's one thing booing the entire team at half time/full time after a stinker, but to me targeting individual players of your own team is grim and never alright. Properly embarrassing behaviour. It's the sort of thing Arsenal fans do.

Eric_the_Red99

We are trying to sell him, he's not fit for purpose, he's cost us the sevilla game.

And you’d be wrong to do it as well.

DDG was at fault for all three goals in the Sevilla game. Did you boo him too?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Shouldn’t be booing someone for just not being at the level required to play for this club. It wasn’t his fault we spent 80m on him. Wasn’t his fault Ole made him captain. We just need to end his misery and sell him to the first team that bids enough money.

OL29

It's genuinely pathetic, but a lot of the foreign fanbase really do live in an online bubble, so the toxicity doesn't shock me.
What’s the point of divisive nonsense like this? There’s loads of foreign fans on here and they’re no worse than the UK fans. Some people just love to blame the foreigner.

DJ_21

I’d say DDG single handedly lost us that game.

Judas

Open to offers
What’s the point of divisive nonsense like this? There’s loads of foreign fans on here and they’re no worse than the UK fans. Some people just love to blame the foreigner.
To be fair, it literally happened in America. I wouldn't have said it otherwise. There's terrible fans all over the world, including here.

Zen86

Why stop at booing? Proper fans would be posting hate mail and targeting him in the streets

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
'Fans' whose football opinions are based on online memes and youtubers.

M16Red

I’d say DDG single handedly lost us that game.
I don't really want to talk about a game we lost because we've lost it.

But Maguire did ask for the ball in the second game, also in the first game did the ball come off Harry big fecking head?

Baxquux

Eh, anything that acts as a countervailing force to his inflated contract and self-perception of his abilities, so that we have a chance to shifting him if and when an offer arrives is good (within reason, obviously - not suggesting people start chants about his family or something). We need the money, he doesn't offer enough in terms of capacity to play the style ETH wants - plus the infamous oil-tanker turning abilities - but has seemingly briefed that he's happy to sit out his contract under the pretext of fighting for his place - so I don't have an issue with a few boos to move the needle.

DJ_21

I don't really want to talk about a game we lost because we've lost it.

But Maguire did ask for the ball in the second game, also in the first game did the ball come off Harry big fecking head?
Ye so they was both at fault for one goal but DDG could see what was behind Maguire, Maguire doesn’t have eyes at the back of his head. Also that was just very unlucky. It could have been anyone’s head that came off.

Eric_the_Red99

No, because de gea had the class to know when moving was best for both parties.
Well no, he moved on because we chose not to renew his contract. Nothing to do with having ‘class’. That’s completely irrelevant as well, because DDG has been making mistakes for years. The question is would you have booed DDG for making mistakes while he was still a United player? Or wouldn’t you, because the internet isn’t telling you to do that?

M16Red

Why stop at booing? Proper fans would be posting hate mail and targeting him in the streets
I'm a fan of Manchester United, not Maguire.

He knows he's not wanted otherwise he'd still be captain, playing and we wouldn't have a 35 johnny come back from flushing.

You think Maguire would have the balls to walk round old trafford/moss side?

AndySmith1990

No, because de gea had the class to know when moving was best for both parties.
He only moved on because we finally hired a manager who wasn't willing to tolerate such a limited keeper, and therefore his contract wasn't renewed. De Gea had an easy life here for years and probably would've happily stayed until retirement

M16Red

Ye so they was both at fault for one goal but DDG could see what was behind Maguire, Maguire doesn’t have eyes at the back of his head. Also that was just very unlucky. It could have been anyone’s head that came off.
Nah, his head is huge.

M16Red

He only moved on because we finally hired a manager who wasn't willing to tolerate such a limited keeper, and therefore his contract wasn't renewed. De Gea had an easy life here for years and probably would've happily stayed until retirement
No, he move because we offered him a lower contract and then we pulled it.

We'd do the same with Maguire if we could.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

He knows he's not wanted otherwise he'd still be captain, playing and we wouldn't have a 35 johnny come back from flushing.

If you met him you’d ask for his autograph.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Similar thing happened a few years back when Fellaini played for us. ‘Fans’ that like others have said will only go to a couple of matches in their lives booing players is and always will be stupid.
Half of the fans booing him probably begged for a picture with him after the match.

Eric_the_Red99

I wouldn’t bother engaging mate. This person is exactly the sort of internet-addled ‘fan’ this thread is about. They’re beyond reason.

Marwood

You'd think people ran onto the pitch and kicked the guy in the face given the reactions on here. It's harmless booing ffs. It's been used in theaters for centuries and as far as I'm aware no one has been seriously hurt as a result
A theatre is a place of fiction and make believe. Also, I'm not sure what theatres you go to but outside of panto no, booing doesn't really go on.

Either way a little different from having 1000's booing your very existence. It's brain dead behaviour that could obviously affect a guy.

M16Red

Similar thing happened a few years back when Fellaini played for us. ‘Fans’ that like others have said will only go to a couple of matches in their lives booing players is and always will be stupid.
Half of the fans booing him probably begged for a picture with him after the match.
I wouldn’t bother engaging mate. This person is exactly the sort of internet-addled ‘fan’ this thread is about. They’re beyond reason.
"Fans" who are you to judge, top red I bet.

Zen86

Fan of United yet boo's it's players. We need more fans like you, that's what this club really needs.

AndySmith1990

A theatre is a place of fiction and make believe. Also, I'm not sure what theatres you go to but outside of panto no, booing doesn't really go on.

Either way a little different from having 1000's booing your very existence. It's brain dead behaviour that could obviously affect a guy.
If booing affects him mentally then he's in the wrong job.

I don't really give a toss either way quite frankly. I wouldn't boo anyone as I'm not emotionally invested enough in any player. But I'm also bored of all this fake outrage and taking offence at what is such a trivial thing.

I've seen comments on this forum directed at rival players and refs (on a weekly basis), that insinuate they deserve be abused or worse. Yet you look at how some harmless booing invokes such strong reactions and you have to laugh at the hypocrisy of it all. Perspective is clearly lost when tribalism is at play

Rockets Redglare

I don't really give a toss either way quite frankly. I wouldn't boo anyone as I'm not emotionally invested enough in any player. But I'm also bored of all this fake outrage and taking offence at what is such a trivial thing.

I've seen comments on this forum directed at rival players and refs (on a weekly basis), that insinuate they deserve be abused or worse. Yet you look at how some harmless booing invokes such strong reactions and you have to laugh at the hypocrisy of it all. Perspective is clearly lost when tribalism is at play
Yes but what has he actually done for him to get booed?

RopersReturn

Looking back on the Sevilla game mentioned, ETH has tried to focus on sorting our fragility at the back. Replacing DDG has hopefully solved half of the issue, but Maguire unfortunately is the other part of the problem due to his sluggishness. I can’t condone the way some of the fans have singled him out entirely though.

Marwood

There's booing from away fans. Whatever that happens. Can easily motivate.

But come on, booing from your own fans is a different thing. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't affected by that.

Baxquux

People getting high-handed about this ought to put things in perspective - firstly our fans are downright courteous, even meek, compared to supporters at large Italian and Spanish clubs (this also goes for acting against the Glazers tbh - they'd have been hiring ex secret service agents and spending millions on compound security years ago if they owned an Italian giant with 'Ultras' until they finally fecked off).

Secondly, ordinary people have real pressures in terms of making rent or mortgages, being compelled to take exploitative jobs and having limited autonomy at work, for which they receive next to nothing: footballers at the top level are paid millions a year to absorb pressure as well as investment of happiness and hopes -without that dimension, there wouldn't be anything like the same level of money in the game. I'm not implying there are no 'limits' or bounds of decency (and certainly not implying we shouldn't try and improve 'ordinary' working conditions), but without anger and disappointment as the flipsides to 'good' passion, they wouldn't have these kinds of lifestyles, and they undertaken to bear some of that pressure as part of the job.

You can call it scapegoating, but we've always had those kinds of mechanisms within society regulated through sports or war or other symbol systems (without getting too pseudo about it), and it's much safer to sublimate that through booing or heckling rather than burning people or classifying them as untouchables or whatever to relieve social tension, particularly when the booing goes hand in hand with a 'positive' communal identity which is (relatively) non-xenophobic (anyone can become a supporter or, as a player, can join the club and be 'supported' if they're good enough, regardless of ethnic background or, generally speaking, cultural beliefs).

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Never boo your own players unless they are convicted murderers. No person can be perfect. Maguire has always conducted himself with dignity...Well, on the pitch. He hasn't been bitching like Ronaldo or Henderson. He might not fit in with ETH plans but to boo one of our own players is cretinous

edgecutter

Don't get the blaming of foreign fans, if I remember correctly Fellaini received massive booing at Old Trafford, and he was somewhat useful in his time at the club compared to Maguire.

UpWithRivers

People saying its ok to boo are the ones that don't get why a bit of racist slurs hurt anyone or taking the piss out of some kid at school. It's just a joke right? Banter. Having a laugh. They shouldn't be so touchy should they, especially if they earn so much.