g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Patrice Evra | Off to Marseille

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTiger

Half mast
I don't care if he never plays another 90mins for us, just bring him back to help Shaw become a first choice and for the dressing room morale.

Maybe even a staff job at the end of his short term contract.

Gopher Brown

SIGN HIM UP

Anyone who says no isn't a United fan
That's bollocks.

He wasn't good enough any more in his last 2 seasons with us, he's not going to be better now he's 3 years older.

He's a great lad, but we want to win things.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't think he could give us anything close to the level we need on the pitch, so playing contract until the end of the season (so he could fill in if we were desperate) and having him training with us with a view to a coaching position? Go on then. Genuinely in as a first team squad option? Not for me.

iHicksy

Even if he was only to play in the Europa and cup games i'd take him in a heartbeat with the understanding his role would be bit part with a view to going into coaching here at the end of the season. He truly knows what it means to play for the club and his mentality and attitude towards United would be invaluable to the team. He's still France's starting left back, is he not?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's exceptionally romantic, but the season to have him helping out and rotating with Shaw was the first Van Gaal season.

Not 2 1/2 years on!

He was leaving a gaping hole in defence then, let alone now.

Still, it'd be interesting...

RedTiger

Half mast
It's exceptionally romantic, but the season to have him helping out and rotating with Shaw was the first Van Gaal season.

Not 2 1/2 years on!

He was leaving a gaping hole in defence then, let alone now.

Still, it'd be interesting...
I think he was leaving gaping holes because we had no decent attacking options on the left so we tended to rely on him adding the width and drive for that side of the pitch (he was our best attacking player against Bayern in his final year) . I'm not asking for him to become our starting LB but a presence in the squad would have positive effects on the team would it not?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
People wanting him back to play seem to have very short memories. Paddy was AWFUL in his last season or 2, like really bad.

I'd love him back as a mentor type figure though for youth and Pogba, his positivity and happiness would surely rub off onto the players

RedTiger

Half mast
I think he was leaving gaping holes because we had no decent attacking options on the left so we tended to rely on him adding the width and drive for that side of the pitch (he was our best attacking player against Bayern in his final year) . I'm not asking for him to become our starting LB but a presence in the squad would have positive effects on the team would it not?
It would have a positive effect on me anyway.

Minimalist

Nostalgia and his personality aside, he was pretty cack (Bayern goal aside) a good couple of seasons before he left. I remember being quite satisfied with United trying to replace him with Shaw.

R'hllor

CAF: Please sign him,we want our legend back,he would be such a great addition!!!..

CAF(few weeks later,after bad display): Not only we lost points because of this fraud,we wasting money on his wages too! Useless,please retire

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People often have said Mourinho likes one full back to monster on, and one to sit back more, so maybe he could be the sitter.

I don't think there's a chance it's happening either way, but it's an interesting one to come up.

Shaw coming back from this seemingly long injury and playing well would be the best option.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nostalgia and his personality aside, he was pretty cack (Bayern goal aside) a good couple of seasons before he left. I remember being quite satisfied with United trying to replace him with Shaw.
Easy to forget Shaw this is Shaw's third season here now.
Had some bad luck with the injuries, but we could do with him becoming the equivalent of Valencia on the other side for consistency.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was on the decline in SAF's last two seasons. I was a big Evra fan but he's not even close to being good enough for a top club anymore.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Easy to forget Shaw this is Shaw's third season here now.
Had some bad luck with the injuries, but we could do with him becoming the equivalent of Valencia on the other side for consistency.

That'll never happen unfortunately. Valencia is just a complete tank who'd run through a brick wall.

Shaw is very comparable to Sturridge at Liverpool. Constantly Injured and maybe some occasions it's just him being too Soft.

MounchesterUtd

We should've eased him out rather than just outright replace him with Shaw. Still, I want him back but as a squad player. The question is will we finally see the Shaw we thought we signed or do we splunk a huge amount on another LB.

Thought he was quite good in the 12-13 season but he was very disappointing in the Moyseh year

Ollie Derbyshire

As great as he was he was running on empty for the last couple of years he was here, I remember he could hardly get back into position after his bursts forward which put us into all sorts of trouble regularly.

Bring him back in some capacity by all means but can't be relied upon in this league anymore.

fallengt

Mourinho doesn't play Bastian why would he play Erva.
FFS, I love the idea of him retiring as United player but let's not forget he was awful in his last season here.

Earlier this season, Mou didn't play Carrick much in the EPL, only in cup games but thing changed because Fellaini was so shit in that role. I get the impression that he wanted a young/mature squad for the future to come, not aging one. Unless your name is Ibra or Carrick there's no chance he'd play another 35 year old

Last edited:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Mourinho doesn't play Bastian why would he play Erva.
FFS, I love the idea of him retiring as United player but let's not forget he was awful in his last season here.
Yes the Moyes season when every player excelled

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Who says he has to play as Left Back?

Zanetti moved to a CDM in the latter stages of his career.
Evra is an attacking wing back really, don't think he'd translate that well to a CDM, especially when he's never played there before.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He barely plays for Juve. The only way he should be coming back is as a coach or some admin job.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Evra is an attacking wing back really, don't think he'd translate that well to a CDM, especially when he's never played there before.
I don't think it's realistic he would play as a left-back, I know that United are struggling for defensive midfielders, we also know Jose wants height in that position.

No way Evra is playing for United again in that case!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Fickle dickheads on here, those crying for his return in our shirt will be the same pricks slagging him off for a garbage performance. Get a decking grip some of you. He's a united legend, let's leave it at that.

Ollie Derbyshire

Wouldn't want anyone back we've let go in the last few years, none warrant it in my opinion.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
35 year old striker is ok though?
Slight difference being that 35 year old striker is still breaking records and at 33 when Evra's performance were getting worse and worse and multiple threads on here were saying how every opposition attack is coming down the left, Ibra was breaking goal scoring records and found a place in FIFA World XI.

I love the bloke but it'd have to be in a coaching capacity or as an ambassadorial role. Evra couldn't get up and down the wing 3 years back, what makes you think he'll be able to do it now? Last thing I want is him stinking up the place on his return and ruin his reputation.

tomaldinho1

Slight difference being that 35 year old striker is still breaking records and at 33 when Evra's performance were getting worse and worse and multiple threads on here were saying how every opposition attack is coming down the left, Ibra was breaking goal scoring records and found a place in FIFA World XI.

I love the bloke but it'd have to be in a coaching capacity or as an ambassadorial role. Evra couldn't get up and down the wing 3 years back, what makes you think he'll be able to do it now? Last thing I want is him stinking up the place on his return and ruin his reputation.
I'm not actually saying we should just pointing out his age shouldn't be the reason. Ibra being the best example.

I actually agree - he left as a hero but I can't see him being more than backup if he returns. Maybe bring him on with a view to becoming a coach next year or something. I get the sense Mou is not convinced by Shaw or Blind and, after Darmian's performance the other day, it is clear we need some back up there. Personally think we should just recall CBJ to sit on bench and hope Shaw can return to full fitness and get a decent run of games.

manutddjw

I'd be fine with it if he understands his role and doesn't expect to be a starter. He's nowhere near what he was, but I think he can carry out a certain role for us on the pitch and more importantly he can give the players and the fans a lift with his presence. In my ideal scenario he'd be the guy who when we're 2 nil up and Mourinho wants to take off an attacker and put another defender on we bring on Pat.

I know it's not the best way to spend money but I don't get hung up on wages because 1) the club has experts who will know whether we can afford something and 2) I think it's been proven that just because someone makes a decent wage at our club and doesn't perform in doesn't hinder our ability to get better players like when people argue we must sell Rooney so we can buy Griezmann. No, we wouldn't turn down Griezmann just because of Rooney's wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.