Patrice Evra | Off to Marseille

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Was it last season or the season before he held Bale at bay? He looked really good that CL campaign and didn't look close to his age, still busting his lungs up and down the pitch and still quicker than most.

I think people have to remember that in Fergie's last season, Evra played large parts of that season with an injury. I recall instances where he basically couldn't run - that one against Lennon for instance. It speaks volumes about how absolute dross Buttner was that Ferguson played an injured Evra ahead of him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
All sentiments aside we should be asking is he still good enough to play for United, and do we need a left back? If we do need a left back surely we can aim higher.

PS: We already have Shaw, Blind, and Rojo. I'm not even counting Darmian due to him being absolutely awful when played in that position.

All sentiments aside we should be asking is he still good enough to play for United, and do we need a left back? If we do need a left back surely we can aim higher.
If he were to come back (which I doubt); as mentioned by others, it would be similar to Jose bringing Drogba back to Chelsea and would have so much more to do with what he could bring to the dressing room & training than what he can do on the pitch.

POF

Evra wanted to leave. He won't stick around as not being first choice at that point and he was not reliable to be still the first choice for us anyway. Shaw was signed and was always going to be the first choice at that point.

So, there is not much the club could do.
If Fergie was still in charge I don't think he would have left. Maybe a better way of putting it is United shouldn't have let the club deviate so far from its winning mentality that Evra wanted to leave.

PS: We already have Shaw, Blind, and Rojo. I'm not even counting Darmian due to him being absolutely awful when played in that position.
Shaw has struggled this season but as a big money signing with a lot of potential has to be the long term choice. Rojo is currently a starter at centre back and Blind hasn't been good enough at left back to secure the spot ahead of Darmian.

I think Evra is a good stop gap to play the type of minutes Darmian does currently and his influence off the pitch would be great.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Evra wanted to leave. He won't stick around as not being first choice at that point and he was not reliable to be still the first choice for us anyway. Shaw was signed and was always going to be the first choice at that point.

So, there is not much the club could do.
Don't even think it was about not being first-choice either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-United-captain-urges-Juventus-sign-Nani.html

Evra claims Van Gaal wanted him as captain, and we all know about Van Gaal's privileges for his captain. There were some rumours about Evra being part of our Back 3 for our 3-5-2, maybe someone can clarify on this.

MounchesterUtd

You know what? If he does come back, he'll be rotated with Blind, Shaw and even Rojo for the LB spot. This is what we should've done in the first place, but he wanted out so that's that. He's not going back and playing 90 mins game in and out. People need to cut out the 'bring back Cantona, Keane and Ole' comments.

The United

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Stay off the meds man.
If you think that good leadership means doing what the captain tells you else he'll try to injury you during training than go ahead. I don't think so. SAF/Keane tandem was terribly effective in a Corleone/Brasi sort of way. For a spoiled young millionaire, there's nothing more frightening, then risking losing everything because of some nasty injury. However that's not good leadership and as it happens everytime somebody encouraging violent people, it was only a matter of time before they go out of control.

devilish

Keane was easily the best captain in my time watching United. The difference in winning mentality of the side when Keane was on the pitch vs when he wasn't was stark. He was Fergie's mouthpiece on the pitch. There was such a good relationship there that it's a shame how things have soured since.

I don't know how anyone who watched United through the rivalry with Arsenal could doubt Keane's ability as a leader. His battles with Vieira generally decided the games and often the title. After the Highbury tunnel incident I also don't know how anyone could rate Gary Neville a better leader than Keane.

As for Evra, I agree with you in a way that United has older players but they are not leaders who are representative of the club. Rooney and Schweinsteiger would be out if the club could get someone to take them. Carrick, Smalling and Valencia are very quiet passive characters. Ibra just joined in the summer. The squad management post Fergie has been dreadful and Evra was one that should never have been allowed to leave. Losing Vidic and Evra in the same summer left a huge leadership gap.

We won't agree on this. Football is all about opinions so fair play. Yours are as valid as anyone else's even if they are wrong!
Keane was a terribly effective captain not a great one which are two different things altogether. Good leadership doesn't entail doing what the captain says else you risk being injured during training. That is called bullying. There again bullying was terribly effective because there's nothing the typical spoiled young millionaire fears more than losing everything because of some nasty tackle.

SAF-Keane relationship was bound to turn sour. SAF closed an eye (Id say encouraged but I am politically correct) Keane's behaviour that was terribly effective on the team but which blurred the clear boundaries between the manager and the captain. Keane was allowed to physically bully people around something no player, let alone, captain would or should ever be allowed to do. Under such circumstances its no wonder why Keane started thinking that maybe he's more then a player or even so more than just a captain, which justified him going toe to toe with his direct superior (the assistant manager) and even question the big man himself.

A great captain doesn't need to bully people around. I've got mates who are very close mates to Gaz, Becks, Giggs and co and the way he kept players in line was very professional indeed. A magnificent captain goes beyond that. Cantona was the first person for training, the last person to leave (he would stay behind to train with the kids), he made sure to give his autobiography to anybody that asks him and he pulled the plug out of his career when it was evident that his too old to lead the team. Gaz overstayed for a year or two. Keane had to be pushed out

OohAahMartial

He's off to Valencia according to Di Marzio, which is a much more realistic destination.

Perhaps we can now close this silly thread about who was greater Captain.

POF

Keane was a terribly effective captain not a great one which are two different things altogether. Good leadership doesn't entail doing what the captain says else you risk being injured during training.
When did that happen? Do you really think a club like Manchester United would allow anyone to go around intentionally injuring players in training? Players who are multi million pound assets?

Anyway, carry on. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

devilish

When did that happen? Do you really think a club like Manchester United would allow anyone to go around intentionally injuring players in training? Players who are multi million pound assets?

Anyway, carry on. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Look I don't want to turn this into a Roy Keane post. However I'd suggest to you to read what people like Goram and Yorke said about it. Keane even head butted Schmeichel, taking a young Nicky Butt as a referee and years later he even turned up to Cleverley house to confront him. He wasn't all there with the head

Last edited:

MounchesterUtd

He's off to Valencia according to Di Marzio, which is a much more realistic destination.

Perhaps we can now close this silly thread about who was greater Captain.
Sad. We already saw one of our legends end his career at a relegated QPR, can we just do Pat this one favor? :(

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As much as I would love Pat back It's probably for the best that he isn't, we don't want him having a shocker and making a mistake that could tarnish his name.

Shame we never got to give him a proper send off like he deserved though.

MounchesterUtd

We're a professional football club, not a charity.
I know they aren't really the same situations, but we've been very generous with Rooney the past two years, while Giggs and Scholes were wall past their best by the time they played their last games for the club.

marlowe78

Evra was already tailing off when he left, so imagine him coming back 4 years later and playing in the PL. I've got the time for him as a defensive coach with United down the road.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Evra was already tailing off when he left, so imagine him coming back 4 years later and playing in the PL. I've got the time for him as a defensive coach with United down the road.
Sod that. Sack Fred the Red and hire Patrice Evra to walk around the pitch at half time with a plastic arm.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He hasn't been a regular for Juventus this season due to form right? And was already on decline when he left us, why the hell would we want him back? I love the guy but come on, leave your sentimentality out of this and see it logically. He's a 35 year old left back who was struggling with us in his last few seasons and then had an indian summer in a slower league before eventually being benched this season. We need to keep with shaw and sign a left back we can actually rely on and can handle the premier league.

Gjallarhorn

As much as I love Paddy and would love to have him back, logically it's just not going to work. He was already showing signs of decline in his last years with us (albeit with some awful tactics under Moyes and he was being burnt out & exposed on the left). These days, if he can't cut it in a lesser league then no way will he be any better than when he left in the PL. We should just let him be an ambassador for the club as he always impressed me in the way he talked about our club, Paddy just got it and he embraced it and we all loved him for that as well as the years of fantasic service he gave, but lets not tarnish his reputation by bringing back a club legend who is past it.

shaky

Honestly, I'd sign him just to stick him on for the last 10 minutes against Liverpool when we're 3-0 up.

MartialsBeard

Cant fathom why anyone wouldnt want him back, hes still a genuinely brilliant LB he respects the club likenno one else amd is such a brilliant character. Hes obviously not going to vome and start every game so whats the bloody issue. Hed be very fun and fantastic for morale which is at an all time high. Hed help the French lads out too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sky getting their fees mixed up again. Apparently Juve paid us 5.5 million, as opposed to that being what we paid Monaco.

prath92

Could play Schlupp on the left wing ahead.
If his last season here is anything to go by, they would do better playing evra as LW and Schlupp as LB.

Anyway I think it makes sense. Evra is an excellent crosser and with benteke and remy you need someone to put in crosses well. Other than zaha do palace have anyone?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If his last season here is anything to go by, they would do better playing evra as LW and Schlupp as LB.

Anyway I think it makes sense. Evra is an excellent crosser and with benteke and remy you need someone to put in crosses well. Other than zaha do palace have anyone?
Well now that Bolasie is gone they're left with Puncheon, Zaha is away at the AFCON now too with Ivory Coast.

So yeah it'll probably be Schlupp and Puncheon on the wing. They have been using that Lee guy buy he seems a very defensive option.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
imagine the players running on the field with the kids next to em, and Evra having his monkey following him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.