Pau Torres

A-man

Because if you do similar comparisons between signings and the players they are replacing you'll quite regularly see the player with the weaker stats ultimately proving to be the better player for that team, because stats don't transfer 1-1. If it was just as simple as picking the player with the higher numbers then there'd be no need for data analytics in recruitment, they'd just log on to fbref and work their way down.
Ok that’s not an observation I’ve made and I don’t see the logic in that. Just because he is poor in the air doesn’t mean he hasn’t got other things to offer and overall he might strengthen us. But it would be surprising to me if the CB with pretty much the worst aerial stats in la Liga would improve us aerially.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ve come to like this lad having noticed him this season. Maybe this is his peak, we’ll never know till later years..
The only issue I have with people against his signing but favour Varane:
• They want the proven Varane, who he might be replacing at Madrid.
• Madrid would have pulled all the stop to retain Varane if he was that good for them like they managed with Ramos a few years ago.
• He is playing in a very conservative side but we think him as a calm ball playing defender, that’s the wrong environment for such qualities to be noticed.
• A young CB and quite mature for his age and nowhere near his peak.
• Leadership is the lowest of qualities to attribute to Varane, he is still plays like a young defender after winning so many trophies.

ash_86

Personally liked Pau when he played against us and few imes i've watched. Looks calm and composed and would be prefect if we continue to play out from the back.

dinostar77

He looks like a Spainish lindelof and not what we need to fix our defence. We dont need another meek CB, lindelof being bullied by opposition forwards is bad enough.

Darlington Padgett

Looked like the Spanish version of Lindelof to me....
He's rated highly due to his ability to pass.
But we have enough soft defenders that can pass.

SATA

I thought Albiol carried him throughout the game but i have only watched him once which was our game, so i can’t make a conclusion out of that and his ability

Abraxas

I thought it was quite difficult to appraise him in this particular game because Villarreal sat back for the majority of normal time. By the time they opened up we were exhausted and didn't have any of the ball, he was essentially untested during this period.

This is not to argue he is unsuited or incapable but it was genuinely a very different type of football and protection to what he would receive in the majority of our games. Very different skills are required. He could have them, but on the evidence of this game I just noted that he had a decent game, but if I was a scout or Ole I would be scouring the footage to see him in different situations.

ti vu

Not an easy deal with Villarreal getting CL football this following season. His boyhood club so he may have tendency to stay around for at least one more season. We can't guarantee trophies (even losing to his team :nervous:), so all we have to offer at the moment that he doesn't have is higher wage really.

Only way to make this possible is for us to offer crazy fee beyond the release clause to tempt Villarreal sell. Bad idea really.

Zoo

Not an easy deal with Villarreal getting CL football this following season. His boyhood club so he may have tendency to stay around for at least one more season. We can't guarantee trophies (even losing to his team :nervous:), so all we have to offer at the moment that he doesn't have is higher wage really.

Only way to make this possible is for us to offer crazy fee beyond the release clause to tempt Villarreal sell. Bad idea really.
He has a release clause, president says he won’t stand in the way and supposedly Torres is ready to leave. He wouldn’t be my first choice though.

gajender

Why would we do that it's just stupid If player is convinced to come here we simply pay the Release clause or even try to negotiate it down but if player is unconvinced it's all moot anyway.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

What? It's a release clause, we literally don't have to deal with Villarreal.

croadyman

He has a release clause, president says he won’t stand in the way and supposedly Torres is ready to leave. He wouldn’t be my first choice though.
Yeah my first choice would be Varane because have been a fan for years so biased and after that it would be Kounde, know it might sound harsh but he would be the third choice option for me but know others will disagree

ti vu

Why would we do that it's just stupid If player is convinced to come here we simply pay the Release clause or even try to negotiate it down but if player is unconvinced it's all moot anyway.
What? It's a release clause, we literally don't have to deal with Villarreal.
Read my post again. I explained my opinion why Pau Torres may no longer being interested to leave for us now that Villarreal, his boyhood club qualified for CL. He doesn't want to move then release clause doesn't matter.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Read my post again. I explained my opinion why Pau Torres may no longer being interested to leave for us now that Villarreal, his boyhood club qualified for CL. He doesn't want to move then release clause doesn't matter.
Yeah, it just didn't make any sense. You then went on to say we'd have to pay more than the release clause to get him?

He'd be absolutely mad to turn down any club who paid his release clause. He will be on absolutely feck all comparitively to a club that comes in for him and they just came 7th in the league. They're not doing anything in the CL, he might be sentimental, but he's not stupid.

Edit: FYI, he's on £13k a week

ti vu

Yeah, it just didn't make any sense. You then went on to say we'd have to pay more than the release clause to get him?

He'd be absolutely mad to turn down any club who paid his release clause. He will be on absolutely feck all comparitively to a club that comes in for him and they just came 7th in the league. They're not doing anything in the CL, he might be sentimental, but he's not stupid.
I meant if we really push to sign him now, we have to make Villarreal to ask him to leave themselves, and that would require more than release clause. Villarreal was guaranteed with the release clause fee, so they're in ni hurry to sell. To persuade, it's always required to pay over the odd.

He is in position where he can take another at Villarreal to pick to his option. Why joining another club who can't guarantee trophies? Being there and about in every competition ain't all that great, comparing to stay at his boyhood club then getting those innocent CL experience where he's guaranteed to start. There is always risk joining new club. Fail to adapt quickly and end up not getting those CL experience, and since it's an expensive contract, you're stuck. World Cup is not far away too. You want to be careful, not to have a bad season in term of performance/ game time now, if you choose new club that can't guarantee trophies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don’t think United are quite infatuated with him either. It will be Varane or the Sevilla lad i reckon. Meanwhile the links on the Fiorentina CB has also gone all quiet
If Laurie Whitwell is anything to by, then it seems if we end up signing Sancho we won't be signing Varane due to the cost which is said to be significantly higher than £35m. If that is the case then I'd assume the same applies to Kounde.

I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Sancho and a developmental talent or two, to complete our business. I'd personally be fine with that.

Drizzle

I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Sancho and a developmental talent or two, to complete our business. I'd personally be fine with that.
You'd be fine with keeping our first team as it is and replacing Greenwood with Sancho?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You'd be fine with keeping our first team as it is and replacing Greenwood with Sancho?
No, I didn't say that.

I'd be fine with replacing Rashford with Sancho and look to sign either Tchouameni or Loic Bade with the rest of the budget, if it allowed it. Tchouameni I'm confident would come straight into the team. I'm also looking at Hannibal and Amad to play a part and improve further and show their undoubted potential.

gorky_utd

I would be fine with Sancho and one starting cb. Otherwise, I don't think there will be much improvement in results.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doesn't really mean much as a line.

I'm sure he's on our list of potential targets, as he is for pretty much any top club looking for a CB. I've seen him linked (with varying degrees of reliability) to all of ourselves, City, Madrid and Barca and probably some other clubs too. So I'm sure a lot of big clubs would be "willing to make an offer for him".

The question is where he fits in with all the other potential targets like Varane, Kounde, Romero or whoever as we (and other top clubs) are likely interested in and "willing to make an offer" for quite a few of those too.

Red_toad

Seen him a few times for Villarreal and have always been impressed with his passing, never his defending.
If he's the upgrade on Lindelof, I'd say we might as well save our money and target a more proactive defender. Could surprise everyone, but I'd see similar issues we have with Lindelof if he came to the Premier league.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Doesn't look that fast but maybe that's just over shorter distances.

Also, Murphy is an idiot.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

the same people that say Maguire is slow. Big guys take a while to get turned that is the issue, they're plenty quick in straight lines.

izec

I am not convinced to be honest. 4 games i watched in the last month of him, and i wouldnt take him here considering the options.

Much rather Varane or Kounde. He is a taller and left footed Lindelöf, a bit better on the ball and passing, but they are on a similar level right now and similar profiles.

criticalanalysis

Is he quick? Not seen him play but to be fair that stat doesn't mean anything. I'm certain Rooney clocked a few of those highest sprint speeds etc in his last year here but we all knew he was physically done.

Reaching a high speed doesn't translate to quick feet, being agile, being quick on the first step (which is arguably the most important trait), having good acceleration etc.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Do people even differentiate between top speed and quickness/acceleration?
Smalling reached a top speed of 33km/h at one point yet was slow as feck

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is he quick? Not seen him play but to be fair that stat doesn't mean anything. I'm certain Rooney clocked a few of those highest sprint speeds etc in his last year here but we all knew he was physically done.

Reaching a high speed doesn't translate to quick feet, being agile, being quick on the first step (which is arguably the most important trait), having good acceleration etc.
I would think his top pace is probably good and that's reflected in that stat.

From the games of I've seen of him previously he has nimble enough feet in terms of being get away from players pressing him but I'm not sure about his acceleration over shorter distances. He doesn't look particularly quick but that might partly be down to his lanky, languid looking shape.