Paul Merson - Is his job to be a prick?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Redcafe: The manager's shite, the players are shite, the club's shite, the coaching is shite, the scouting is shite, the owners are shite

Also Redcafe: *has an absolute fecking meltdown the moment anyone else expresses an even slightly negative opinion about any aspect of the club *
True :lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
Has anyone seen what he said about Fernandes signing a new contract? He's clearly on a wind up :lol:.

Steven-UK

:lol: You what? You want to tie your best players down on long term contracts.
Like we did with Rashford, and Martial? Fenandez has been shocking for months; and it wouldn't surprise anyone if we give Pogba a million a week to tie him down only to stink the place out for another 5 years. We are in reverse as a club, and we'll be having the exact same conversations in another 10 years if we don't have a serious think about the direction we are going.

At half time yesterday, there were loads of fans that didn't even go back up for the second half, preferring to have a drink and watch it on the screens instead, many even just going home. And then you look at the wages some of these players are on, for what they turn out week, after week.

Like I said, we need to have a serious think about what we consider 'best' players, as we are now simply living on past glories, but making the same mistakes time, after time for the last 7 years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
People just like to moan. There's no harm in tying down one of our better players, especially one who creates and scores goals which we could be lacking-in next season.
Sure his form has been patchy, but so has everyone else.

Considering what he's given us since he's joined I think I'd cut him abit of slack this year.

And personally I think he'll improve under Hag, where everyone seems to think he'd be outed from the team instantly.

arnie_ni

Hes already had like 3 years left.

no need to sign him until a manager comes in.

There's a whole other thread discussing it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He extended by a whole year didn’t he? It’s true though, what if the new manager doesn’t think Bruno is good enough in possession?

Tying anyone down right now would be ridiculous as we have an interim manager.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He extended by a whole year didn’t he? It’s true though, what if the new manager doesn’t think Bruno is good enough in possession?

Tying anyone down right now would be ridiculous as we have an interim manager.
I know our club have had their share of mad calls over the last 7 or 8 years, but it's been reported that Ten Hag has had an interview, and wildly rumoured it's a done deal. It seems absolutely impossible that Bruno's name won't have come up in talks, especially if Ten Hag didn't want him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know our club have had their share of mad calls over the last 7 or 8 years, but it's been reported that Ten Hag has had an interview, and wildly rumoured it's a done deal. It seems absolutely impossible that Bruno's name won't have come up in talks, especially if Ten Hag didn't want him.
Yeah I stopped short of saying the new manager should be in the discussions because the club have probably (fecking hopefully) have already discussed who to renew.

I can’t get excited for any current contract extension though. Don’t give a feck if they all leave in the summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why am I watching him on a proper program? Keep him on shite like Soccer Saturday

Boneli

He’s a car crash in the post match coverage. “The young lad in midfield. Whatsisname???”. Jesus wept…

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why am I watching him on a proper program? Keep him on shite like Soccer Saturday
It was really weird to see him on the actual match analysis. He felt very out of place.

Swedish_Plumber

Weren't him Sherwood and the rest all doubting EtH when he was first announced as he wasn't a British manager and had no Prem experience?
Sounds about right.

However people can change their opinions. He’s still a bit of plonker but i thought he made some valid points after the game.

Gazautd18

Sounds about right.

However people can change their opinions. He’s still a bit of plonker but i thought he made some valid points after the game.
Oh I like Merse funnily enough.
Don't really pay to much attention to his quotes but think he's there for comedy value.
Sherwood on the other hand...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems like a nice bloke but shouldn’t be a pundit. Seems like age and his lifestyle has caught up with him. A pundit for one of the biggest games of the season shouldn’t be struggling to remember players names.

Josh 76

They like to have an ex player from each side but also load up on ex-Liverpool/Man United players so you often get randoms like Merson.
Surely they can find better ex Arsenal players on the Merson. Super Sunday is probably Skys biggest platform, Merson has no right to be on that stage. He is the kind of guy you can have a laugh with over a few beers, but never ask him for serious advice.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Surely they can find better ex Arsenal players on the Merson. Super Sunday is probably Skys biggest platform, Merson has no right to be on that stage. He is the kind of guy you can have a laugh with over a few beers, but never ask him for serious advice.
Sky want people talking about their coverage, they are not interested in providing insight or balanced coverage. Merson provides that.

scottser

He is the kind of guy you can have a laugh with over a 3 day, hundred grand piss up but never ask him for serious advice.
FTFY

Acole9

Outstanding
He looked perplexed when Ten Hag was being interviewed afterwards. Either because he didn't understand or the drugs and booze has caught up with him.

He is a bit of a troll though, constantly saying last season that Ronaldo was a bad signing and soon as Chelsea showed an interest he thought he'd be the ideal signing for them. It just doesn't add up, either you think he's shit or he's not.

I'm waiting for him to go that Tomato Ketchup fella at Southampton he's a brilliant signing Jeff. Man Utd should've gone for him instead of Martinez...

Ludens the Red

He looked perplexed when Ten Hag was being interviewed afterwards. Either because he didn't understand or the drugs and booze has caught up with him.

He is a bit of a troll though, constantly saying last season that Ronaldo was a bad signing and soon as Chelsea showed an interest he thought he'd be the ideal signing for them. It just doesn't add up, either you think he's shit or he's not.

I'm waiting for him to go that Tomato Ketchup fella at Southampton he's a brilliant signing Jeff. Man Utd should've gone for him instead of Martinez...
:lol:

Spark

EtH answering Merson’s question has to be the most impressive thing he’s done since joining.

I’m English and could barely follow him stringing out a simple question into a two minute ramble.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Yea, I can so see him doing this. The issue is when he inevitably does, the studio guests will all laugh along with him when in reality it’s very insulting (to the player) and a bit racist.

Reminds me of the time Joe Kinnear called Charles Nzogbia ‘Insomnia’ and he ended up losing his best player in the next window.

Chief123

He just stated he thinks Chelsea will beat Real Madrid over 2 legs based on absolutely nothing at all. :nervous:

M Bison

Supports
York City
They were analysing the Casemiro tackle earlier and comparing it with the Perreira one, he said “I’ve never been a fan of bad tackles…” I thought it was an odd statement!

Nico87

Really dislike him as a pundit but recently listened to an interview with him on the football podcast quickly Kevin…( a really enjoyable nostalgic podcast) and he actually came across really well, genuinely quite funny.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They were analysing the Casemiro tackle earlier and comparing it with the Perreira one, he said “I’ve never been a fan of bad tackles…” I thought it was an odd statement!
:lol:

Glad he cleared that up.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He just stated he thinks Chelsea will beat Real Madrid over 2 legs based on absolutely nothing at all. :nervous:
I’ve noticed he’s always loving Chelsea. Said a few years ago that they’re on the cusp of dominating “world football” when Lampard was the manager.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve noticed he’s always loving Chelsea. Said a few years ago that they’re on the cusp of dominating “world football” when Lampard was the manager.
because hes a supporter. not sure if hes a st holder, but goes often

AndySmith1990

He's no different to the average biased football fan you find all over the Internet. Only difference is he's paid for the privilege of talking rubbish