Paul Merson Pundit Thread

Woodzy

Will be parking myself in this thread after the game and Ronaldo has bagged a hat trick.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
For every goal Ronaldo scores Paul has to do an ounce of coke.

Oranges038

He must spend his days reading forums to jot down a few points to say on TV.

SeanyC

It’s high time Sky got rid but he controversial hence why he stirs up retweets and comments so he’ll be staying put I’m afraid

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I doubt even he believes the stuff he's coming out with, but this is all he's good for really. Sad.

Stacks

He just said he doesn't think ROnaldo can win you the leahie. This is what he wrote,

"I’ve heard people say, “Oh shut up, Merson! He’s going to score a lot of goals.” Well, he’s the best player in the world. Of course he is going to score goals! He did score more goals than Lukaku in Serie A last season, but Juventus didn’t win the league, did they? If Ronaldo gets you 20 goals and you don’t win the Premier League, what’s the point? I hope I’m wrong – it won’t be the first time – but I think it’s a lazy transfer.

When Cristiano Ronaldo was in his pomp at Manchester United, he was a phenomenal player in a phenomenal team under Sir Alex Ferguson. Now, he’s joining a team that’s far from the best in the league, and most of their fans are relying on him to do what he did all those years ago. I do hope he does well but I don’t think Manchester United are winning the Premier League this season.

With Cristiano Ronaldo in the team, one of Sancho, Greenwood, and Rashford will have to make do with a place on the bench. They’ve spent so much on Sancho so he will certainly play his part, but will Greenwood get his chances with Ronaldo in the squad? I don’t think so. If they don’t win the Premier League in the next three years, all Ronaldo’s done is held Sancho, Greenwood, and Rashford back.

The fans of the club are the ones who worry me the most – they think he’s going to rip up the Premier League. They say he scored twice for Portugal the other night, but what else did he do? He was up against two defenders from the Championship, and he couldn’t beat his man. If his name wasn’t Cristiano Ronaldo, he would’ve been taken off before he scored his brace. Every team in the Premier League has lightning-quick players who can put in a good shift. If Ronaldo isn’t tracking back and is only waiting for balls to be put in the box, you’re effectively playing with 10 men off the ball against Premier League opponents.

I also have to acknowledge that he could make me look very silly this year. Ronaldo’s done a lot of massive things over the course of his career but if he manages to win the Premier League at the age of 36, it’ll be the biggest thing he’s ever done in football. I hope he does it, but I don’t think Manchester United are winning a league title with Cristiano Ronaldo."

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did he say anything after the game?

Red Daz

Looks like he just reversed that trawler, now saying his movement was better than Cavani’s and we can win the league

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Did he say anything after the game?
yep game was a 'flip of a coin' at 1-1 (meaning Newcastle had a chance of winning) and while being asked about Ronaldo decided to talk about how he thought Sancho was poor instead

jem

Some people I know think he's wumming.

I don't think so, I just think he's a useless, biased fecking tool. A few more years and he's the living embodiment of Grandpa Simpson shouting at clouds
Not sure if I can post on here, but I'd highly recommend checking out Alrightfans videos on Twitter/Instagram/Patreon, particularly the ones with Merson. Pure class!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Fernandes - Fernando
van de Beek - van der Burke
Sancho - Sanchez
Saint-Maximin - Maximus

supermao

If Paul Merson posted on caf, he would be newbie forever. Also would be great achievement if he didn't end up getting ban for being so stupid.
Well, he could be as thick as he portrays himself or he could just need that paycheck really badly. Or possibly a combination of both. Sadly society these days are about clicks, interactions and likes and there is no monetary diffence between being insightfull or a fool, only what generates the most buzz when you're catering to mostly fools.
I'm probably forever a newbie, but thats fine :-)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Football fans are so ferociously tribal that they'll always react with fury to anything anti their own club or even own opinion.

But Merson is so shot away its almost cruel having him in the public eye.

Imagine calling signing one of the best players in history, and top scorer in the Italian league (above a player who just went for 100m) a "lazy" signing. Amazing.

It's the greatest feel good moment in premier league history.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Favourite Paul Merson story is when Middlesbrough came in for him at Arsenal. He told Wenger how much they were going to pay him. Wenger just replied “That’s more than we pay Dennis Begkamp, you need to leave”.

They say he scored twice for Portugal the other night, but what else did he do? He was up against two defenders from the Championship, and he couldn’t beat his man. If his name wasn’t Cristiano Ronaldo, he would’ve been taken off before he scored his brace. Every team in the Premier League has lightning-quick players who can put in a good shift. If Ronaldo isn’t tracking back and is only waiting for balls to be put in the box, you’re effectively playing with 10 men off the ball against Premier League opponents.
I love it when these idiot pundits come out with that line.

Hatrick in the World Cup final? But what else did he do?

We might be playing with 10 men but every other team is playing with 9 because they need two players constantly watching him. More than any other player in history he's the one defenders can't take their eyes off for a second, and it's great to say 'more than any other player in history' and it not to be hyperbole.

Acole9

Outstanding
He kept getting Varane's name wrong and calling him Veron... the guy is just an idiot.