Paul Merson Pundit Thread

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Had 2 people link me his tweet about Chelsea today. He's been telling people he's a Chelsea fan before he kicked a ball for Arsenal and yet it's news.

lsd

The Oracle
I actually like that he still supports the club he did as a boy even though he played for another team most of his career.

tomaldinho1

And you guys still doubt Mr. Magic for some reason.
There was a time you could put an acca on the opposite of what he said and make money, oh how the tables have turned. The Magic Man.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There was a time you could put an acca on the opposite of what he said and make money, oh how the tables have turned. The Magic Man.
Those predictions are also basically in line with every prediction he's ever made.

He always predicts that Spurs (and United) will have shit results and near enough always predicts favourable results for Arsenal and Chelsea.

The reasoning is always completely contradictory too depending on whether he likes the team. He'll predict Spurs to lose and go "they've been playing well and winning, but I think they're overdue a defeat because no team can win forever" then predict an Arsenal win with "they've been playing well and winning, and I can't see anyone stopping them." He'll predict United to lose by going "they're not playing well and their results aren't great, so I can't see them getting a result here" then say "they're not playing well and their results aren't great, it's about time that turned around so I think they'll win comfortably here" about Chelsea.

ForFuchsSake

He’s a complete moron. He was also absolutely certain Arsenal would beat Spurs by a landslide but of course, he’ll conveniently ignore that.

Always talks in absolute certainties that when a prediction is occasionally right, he can laud that over everyone but his - very frequent - gaffes are conveniently swept under the carpet.

Offers next to no insightful punditry either. Him, Clinton Morrison and Daniel Sturbridge epitomise Sky Sports’ rapidly declining standards.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wouldn't the same be true for football, one team would just go all out attack to take advantage?

Also if one team is only attacking there is also the possibility of being countered, especially towards the end of the ten minutes. I don't think being temporarily down to ten men will affect the enjoyment of the game for neutrals.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Merson is 100% wrong on this one.

Sin bins need to happen at top level football.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Is he?

We just need referees to actually dish out the existing cards appropriately and consistently.

Champ

Is he?

We just need referees to actually dish out the existing cards appropriately and consistently.
Which they will do, and due to sin bins being used for dissent it'll reduce the amount of potential red cards, which will actually make the game a better spectacle whilst simultaneously improving the behavior of players around the ref.

It works in non league and grassroots, it really needs to be brought in, Merson has obviously not watched a game where sin bins have been used.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Which they will do, and due to sin bins being used for dissent it'll reduce the amount of potential red cards, which will actually make the game a better spectacle whilst simultaneously improving the behavior of players around the ref.

It works in non league and grassroots, it really needs to be brought in, Merson has obviously not watched a game where sin bins have been used.
You have far too much faith in referees.

As for non-league and grassroots implementation, from my personal experience of the quality of officiating at that level, I highly doubt its effectively used.

Zora

Nonsense. That will be it for a lot of us - I'm already sick of the game as it is.

Remember the geese

Sins bins being used as a way to cover cracks and incompetence. Simply use the technology correctly as it should be intended and administer yellow and red cards accordingly. It isn't rocket science.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sins bins being used as a way to cover cracks and incompetence. Simply use the technology correctly as it should be intended and administer yellow and red cards accordingly. It isn't rocket science.
They will give you VAR'ed Sin Bins and you will like it :o

Champ

You have far too much faith in referees.

As for non-league and grassroots implementation, from my personal experience of the quality of officiating at that level, I highly doubt its effectively used.
As a non league player myself, the sin bins work brilliantly.

Champ

You realize sin bins will be for dissent mainly, and those situations whereby someone deliberately cheats by hauling someone down on the half way line for example.

tomaldinho1

As we have unfortunately seen in the CL with our red cards, this doesn't happen - goals will come. I don't see the need for it though or for the orange card. The refs seem to struggle as it is with just the basic rules.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You realize sin bins will be for dissent mainly, and those situations whereby someone deliberately cheats by hauling someone down on the half way line for example.
Antony was cynically tripped on the break last night and no card was issued despite it being a blatant yellow.

This is why people have no faith in sin bins or "orange cards".

All this will do is bring an unnecessary extra level of complexity to how the game is officiated.

VAR is already shit. Are they dealing with these too?

Champ

Antony was cynically tripped on the break last night and no card was issued despite it being a blatant yellow.

This is why people have no faith in sin bins or "orange cards".

All this will do is bring an unnecessary extra level of complexity to how the game is officiated.

VAR is already shit. Are they dealing with these too?
Well that's evidently yet to be decided,

but certainly when it comes to dissent it 100% works, and I am speaking from experience.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Well that's evidently yet to be decided,

but certainly when it comes to dissent it 100% works, and I am speaking from experience.
Dissent can be a straight red for all I care. I don't see the need to bring in a sin bin.

Oranges038

They don't need to happen.

All that needs to happen is for referees to apply the current rules consistently and book players for tactical fouls, dissent, time wasting etc.. and if they do it again, book them again and send them off. Once a few players get sent off and pick up suspensions for picking up too many cards for such stupid offences it won't be long stopping.

Champ

They don't need to happen.

All that needs to happen is for referees to apply the current rules consistently and book players for tactical fouls, dissent, time wasting etc.. and if they do it again, book them again and send them off. Once a few players get sent off and pick up suspensions for picking up too many cards for such stupid offences it won't be long stopping.
But then the Mersons and fans of the world will be decrying refs for ruining the game by being to card happy.
It's happened before and still happens now, so history tells us this is true.

A less severe punishment that doesn't ruin the game but still offers to opponent an advantage fota the bill perfectly, this will also apply perfectly to tactical fouls.

Oranges038

But then the Mersons and fans of the world will be decrying refs for ruining the game by being to card happy.
It's happened before and still happens now, so history tells us this is true.

A less severe punishment that doesn't ruin the game but still offers to opponent an advantage fota the bill perfectly, this will also apply perfectly to tactical fouls.
Should just blame the players for being idiots.

Tyrion

I don't see the problem in trialing it. If you could defend deep and automatically ruin the game then half the league would be trying it with 11 players in some of their fixtures.

Nonsense. That will be it for a lot of us - I'm already sick of the game as it is.
Some people say every new thing will be the "death of football". Its been decades and all the same doom-mongers are still watching. No-one is going to stop watching because of a sin bin.

Tyrion

Should just blame the players for being idiots.
Exactly. Every time I hear someone moan that a red has "ruined the game", I wonder if they realise thats the players fault. What would ruin the game is the referee abandoning the rules and letting everyone do what they like.

ti vu

Wouldn't the same be true for football, one team would just go all out attack to take advantage?

Also if one team is only attacking there is also the possibility of being countered, especially towards the end of the ten minutes. I don't think being temporarily down to ten men will affect the enjoyment of the game for neutrals.
Time wasting would get to insane level just to tick the clock during sin bin time, even if it's readded with stoppage time. Refs sin bin multiple players from the same team for these cynical time wasting tactic? That's quick way to destroying football game.

Next they would need to introduce stopwatch. Next ad between break...