Paul Pogba - Juventus player

Son

I wouldn't take Rodri over Pogba.

There are plenty of matchups in international football in which he made Kroos, Modric, KDB and many others considered the best of their generation look ordinary let alone Rodri.

If we are talking about just ceiling there hasnt been a more gifted midfield player than Paul Pogba in the last 8 or so years. I'll stand it by it and nobody will convince me otherwise.

His contemporaries are judged through a different lens, their stinker games are ignored while their top games are over lauded while for him it was the opposite. Its that simple. the English commentators are also part of the reason. He would put a chance on a plate for Zlatan, Rashford, Lingard or Lukaku on the regular without the commentators saying a word while they would salivate over the aforementioned players for the doing same actions.

He is also the only midfield player in history Ive seen get compared to different players with widely differing attributes. Like Ive seen him blasted for not working hard in defence like Kante, not controlling a midfield like Pirlo and not scoring like KDB. How does that make any sense??

It took me some time to find the answer because it confused me for a long time but I have concluded the answer is as follows:

People dont hold them to the same standard they held Pogba to because they cant do it all like him.

I mean why dont you critize Rodri or Kroos for not sliding in through balls to strikers. Yet Pogba would play in the same CM position as them in a pivot and register higher through ball numbers.
Logic would dictate if they were better they would register the same amount of through balls. They dont because they cant. Its that simple.

there was a graphic showing after he returned from surgery during covid that can be verified that no midfielder had done more through balls in the PL in the 2019/20 campaign. He also played the same CM role in France's Euro 2021 run and was top of the pile for through balls registered.

He did the Pirlo role in his first season here pulling strings while laying chances on a plate at the same time. You lauded Pirlo for how he controlled a game but you didnt critisize him for not laying chances. Why? Becuase he wasnt able to. You judged him on one thing. But you attacked Pogba for not creating chances and getting onto the end of them at the same time.

Objectively speaking there is no way that one can conclude he was a flop for Manchester United. Just look at this Goal article.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/paul-p...es-best-ball-winner/fghnyyybb5901jou5d97nq79o

But Paul Ince and Paul Scholes were attacking him and said he doesnt give a shit so he must have been shit.

There was also a similar article a year earlier that came out when Mourinho was tearing the dressing room apart and the club was in a toxic situation that he was in fact topping most midfield metrics not only in the team but accross the whole league. Ball winning with a bunch of ball winners. chance creator with a bunch of chance creators. Most dribbles completed with a bunch of wingers like Adama Traore. Its kind of crazy.
I agree he was a lot more talented than people often gave him credit for but the better long balls than Toni Kroos is a stretch. Kroos is arguably the best most accurate long passer in the history of the game as well been the best short passer since Xavi retired.

I personally think Kroos football IQ is another level to Pogba the guy is a genius but I understand he doesn’t have the dribbling ability. Passing wise though I’d take Kroos all day long he’s ridiculously good playing that deep lying role.

He’s about as good as anyone who’s ever played a deep midfield role. I could never say that about Pogba as much as I liked watching the guy here.

LordSpud

I would assume thats the end of his career then if they get it.

Irrational.

Just you wait, once Pogba is back from his doping ban he will release a new line of drugs #POGESTERONE with a Snapchat advert starring the reanimated corpse of Mino Raiola and a dancing #Pogmoji.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This is the Pogba thread. I came across a thread with some skilful moments and posted them in his thread. I like football.

Please don’t be weird
Some of these moments are so underwhelming. Like the Everton goal. He stabs the ball to a guy, that guy then bends one in from twenty yards. Like, how is that a highlight?!

Tbh, I thought it would be a selection of all the times he lost the ball.

TsuWave

Some of these moments are so underwhelming. Like the Everton goal. He stabs the ball to a guy, that guy then bends one in from twenty yards. Like, how is that a highlight?!

Tbh, I thought it would be a selection of all the times he lost the ball.
I mean, it’s a subjective thing ultimately. It’s a decent trivela pass - which I’m assuming was included more to showcase his range than anything else. I see plenty of skilful moments in said thread, but again subjective.

I think you’re trying too hard to dunk on him - there’s no indication that it would be a selection of times he lost the ball.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I mean, it’s a subjective thing ultimately. It’s a decent trivela pass - which I’m assuming was included more to showcase his range than anything else. I see plenty of skilful moments in said thread, but again subjective.

I think you’re trying too hard to dunk on him - there’s no indication that it would be a selection of times he lost the ball.
I think you're trying to hard, trying to use ten dollar words to describe a pass.

fecking "trivela"

TsuWave

I think you're trying to hard, trying to use ten dollar words to describe a pass.

fecking "trivela"
Is that not the term for outside of the boot passes, shots and crosses? It doesn’t inherently mean it’s good or hard to pull off - it is just a word used to describe something. Shouldn’t illicit anger nor hostility

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is the Pogba thread. I came across a thread with some skilful moments and posted them in his thread. I like football.

Please don’t be weird
It is a strange bump. We know he could pass. It was a key strength. It’s such a shame that he never had the fitness or the mental fortitude to be at a top club

redcarpet

Think it's a great pass, myself. Looks simple but it comes in fast, accurate, without back lift taking everyone by surprise.

TsuWave

It is a strange bump. We know he could pass. It was a key strength. It’s such a shame that he never had the fitness or the mental fortitude to be at a top club
I don’t get what you mean Golden Blunder - you’re staff so you likely have a better understanding of this than me - but surely we don’t only post stuff that “we don’t know” in these threads, so I’m confused by your “we know he could pass” qualifier.

Again, I like football and skilful players, came across a thread showing moments I thought were skilful and posted them in the respective player’s thread for anyone that might be bored/appreciate a couple of nice clips. I didn’t post those videos looking to argue with anyone or cause offence. Did I violate a forum regulation by posting Pogba highlights in the Pogba thread?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I wonder the average age of the people who still fawn over him. Genuinely bizarre.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Fascinating bump. It’s all very drama like and fun reading.

redcucumber

It's a shame how it worked out for Pogba. I know he won the World Cup and a few other club trophies, but he should have been so much more. How it's ended for him is depressing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Irrespective of some if the issues fans and myself had with him at times, he's up there with one of my favourite players to watch when he was on it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t get what you mean Golden Blunder - you’re staff so you likely have a better understanding of this than me - but surely we don’t only post stuff that “we don’t know” in these threads, so I’m confused by your “we know he could pass” qualifier.

Again, I like football and skilful players, came across a thread showing moments I thought were skilful and posted them in the respective player’s thread for anyone that might be bored/appreciate a couple of nice clips. I didn’t post those videos looking to argue with anyone or cause offence. Did I violate a forum regulation by posting Pogba highlights in the Pogba thread?
No nothing in the rules against it. But for a player who may never play professional football again I just found it strange. Especially some of the examples posted since I’ve seen better. It just seemed a bit random

antk

Anyone still feeling hurt when people were calling him out for hanging out in the middle East while "injured" ?
I don't understand. He was injured then and then got injured again at Juve (before getting banned anyway). If anything his stint at Juve proves his issues with injuries at United were real?