Paul Pogba officially leaves Manchester United

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
In fairness, winning a World Cup ain't too shabby.
A world cup is amazing yeah, but put any other French midfielder in their instead of Pogba and they'd have won it, point stands, Bale is on another level to Pogba.

OverratedOpinion

A world cup is amazing yeah, but put any other French midfielder in their instead of Pogba and they'd have won it, point stands, Bale is on another level to Pogba.
Bale has had a much better career than pogba.

With that said I so feel the need to totally disagree with your statement regarding the world cup. He was their best midfielder in that tournament and totally outshone Kante. He was also their best midfielder and second best player in the Euros.

Chripper

This isn't a doubt/hunch thing. It's reported by the most reputable sports outlet in the UK. It isn't based on a Mystic Meg feeling of what random redcafe posters feel Pep would like and the opinions they post on here during their lunch breaks at work.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ogba-mino-raiola-offer-manchester-united-city

"Pep Guardiola has said he was offered Manchester United’s Paul Pogba this season by Mino Raiola"

Pep literally said that he was offered Pogba by his agent.

So, for you, that translates to Pep meeting Pogba and he (Pep) tried to convince him (Pogba) to join City?

That's a radical interpretation of the text.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ogba-mino-raiola-offer-manchester-united-city

"Pep Guardiola has said he was offered Manchester United’s Paul Pogba this season by Mino Raiola"

So, for you, that translates to Pep meeting Pogba and he (Pep) tried to convince him (Pogba) to join City?

That's a 4 years old article, @TsuWave is talking about a report from this week.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bale has had a much better career than pogba.

With that said I so feel the need to totally disagree with your statement regarding the world cup. He was their best midfielder in that tournament and totally outshone Kante. He was also their best midfielder and second best player in the Euros.
I admit, I went a little overboard in devaluing Pogbas contribution to that French team, I think the point I was trying to emphasis was the quality of that French squad, Mbappe, Dembele Griezmann etc.

Pintu

And that theory doesn't even make sense when you consider the fact that Real Madrid are arguably the biggest club in the world and sponsored by Adidas.
Real Madrid had a few high profile (marketing-wise) Adidas players already, including Bale and Benzema at the time. The article says they wanted Pogba at United, or for United to replace him with a player of similar stature.

Chripper

That's exactly what you did repeatedly.
Yes. Pogba's reputation is mud. That's not even in question.

That's a 4 years old article, @TsuWave is talking about a report from this week.
What, you mean this article, that consists of: "City threw their hat in the ring with Guardiola rumoured to be incredibly keen on the idea of enticing the France international to the Etihad."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....anutd-transfer-mancity-guardiola-27130078.amp

I was looking for something more concrete than a rumour.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes. Pogba's reputation is mud. That's not even in question.
Only for people that don't know him at all. Which is the interesting part, you are questioning the judgement of people that actually know him. Do you think that it's reasonable?

What, you mean this article, that consists of: "City threw their hat in the ring with Guardiola rumoured to be incredibly keen on the idea of enticing the France international to the Etihad."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....anutd-transfer-mancity-guardiola-27130078.amp

No, he is talking about an article from the Athletic mentioning meetings with Txiki and Guardiola. It's not a rumour but a report.

TsuWave

Please stop. Take a breather. Here:

Whatever the form and injury record of Pogba, his availability for a transfer fee of zero this summer piqued the interest of several of Europe’s top clubs. Undoubtedly the most eye-catching of those clubs are Manchester City.

The idea that City’s approach was designed to antagonise the red half of Manchester — or form part of some elaborate scheme to provoke United into a reaction — can be ridiculed by the fact that Guardiola personally met Pogba to discuss a move across town. Guardiola explained in the warmest terms why he wanted Pogba to join City.

Txiki Begiristain, City’s director of football, then presented a significant contract offer. The salary was not as high as the one Kevin De Bruyne is on, or new signing Erling Haaland will be, but the proposal placed Pogba among City’s top earners.

Pogba considered it, but was conscious of the media furore that would be triggered by swapping Old Trafford for the Etihad and, more importantly, after his home was burgled in March he felt a change of scenery was required. He has, for the most part, been settled with his wife Zulay and their two children in Cheshire, living close to team-mate Victor Lindelof.

https://theathletic.com/3343886/2022/06/01/paul-pogba-manchester-united-juventus/

Chripper

Only for people that don't know him at all. Which is the interesting part, you are questioning the judgement of people that actually know him. Do you think that it's reasonable?
So. You're suggesting that Pogba is a great guy and a joy to know?

Who cares? We all know now that Ryan Giggs was no Gandhi. Doesn't stop him being one of the greatest the club has ever know.

Please stop. Take a breather. Here:

Whatever the form and injury record of Pogba, his availability for a transfer fee of zero this summer piqued the interest of several of Europe’s top clubs. Undoubtedly the most eye-catching of those clubs are Manchester City.

The idea that City’s approach was designed to antagonise the red half of Manchester — or form part of some elaborate scheme to provoke United into a reaction — can be ridiculed by the fact that Guardiola personally met Pogba to discuss a move across town. Guardiola explained in the warmest terms why he wanted Pogba to join City.

Txiki Begiristain, City’s director of football, then presented a significant contract offer. The salary was not as high as the one Kevin De Bruyne is on, or new signing Erling Haaland will be, but the proposal placed Pogba among City’s top earners.

Pogba considered it, but was conscious of the media furore that would be triggered by swapping Old Trafford for the Etihad and, more importantly, after his home was burgled in March he felt a change of scenery was required. He has, for the most part, been settled with his wife Zulay and their two children in Cheshire, living close to team-mate Victor Lindelof.

https://theathletic.com/3343886/2022/06/01/paul-pogba-manchester-united-juventus/
Yeah. I'm not paying for a subscription.

Pogba is as much of a Pep player as Haaland.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
So. You're suggesting that Pogba is a great guy and a joy to know?

Who cares? We all know now that Ryan Giggs was no Gandi. Doesn't stop him being one of the greatest the club has ever know.
That's what people that have worked with him suggests, players and managers. And you seem to care since you decided to question Rooney's opinion and share your own.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I admit, I went a little overboard in devaluing Pogbas contribution to that French team, I think the point I was trying to emphasis was the quality of that French squad, Mbappe, Dembele Griezmann etc.
Errr... like it or not, Pogba in France is totally different player than Pogba in Man Utd.

He is definitely a key player for France winning WC 2018. I think he was also France best player in their 2016 and 2020 Euro campaign too.

JPRouve

Scout
Errr... like it or not, Pogba in France is totally different player than Pogba in Man Utd.

He is definitely a key player for France winning WC 2018. I think he was also France best player in their 2016 and 2020 Euro campaign too.
Griezmann was the best player in 2016, Kanté and Varane were better than Pogba in 2018 though Pogba had an excellent final and he was probably the best player in 2021 though Benzema has a case for himself.

TsuWave

Yeah. I'm not paying for a subscription.

Pogba is as much of a Pep player as Haaland.
No one asked you to. I merely stated facts that were directly against the fanfiction you came into this thread writing.

I don't know what a "Pep player" is. I do know Pep is one of the best managers around - as such he'll work with a multitude of players and have the confidence he can get the best of them - he's on record stating it "didn't take him long to destroy footbal". I also know he met with Pogba to convince him to move to City.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m still celebrating for those two out of the club

Thou doth protest too much. When you’re genuinely happy about something you don’t spend time telling others how happy you are.

I don’t follow other fanbases but feck me ours is infuriating. Both players have left, you think people would be more concerned by the dross still here. We get it guys, viruses, bling blah blah blah.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Yeah, I already admitted to going a little overboard above! :lol:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not missed him for a second so far, think it'll stay this way.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Griezmann was the best player in 2016, Kanté and Varane were better than Pogba in 2018 though Pogba had an excellent final and he was probably the best player in 2021 though Benzema has a case for himself.
Even so, he is still among top 2 or 3 players in France over their past 3 major tournaments.

JPRouve

Scout
Even so, he is still among top 2 or 3 players in France over their past 3 major tournaments.
If I'm being honest I wouldn't have a top x for France, France plays well as a team or not at all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If I'm being honest I wouldn't have a top x for France, France plays well as a team or not at all.
It depends on your preference, I guess. Some value more on attackers, some on defence. I value a playmaker as the heartbeat of a winning team. I still think Pogba was France best player in 2018 WC.

Pintu

And you're wrong re. Juve. He wasnt actually consistent there and at that time Serie A wasnt even any good either. He played for a side walking the league by as many as 18 points each season.
No. They've never won it by 18 points. They barely won it the season before Pogba (And were not the best team at all). And while it is true he helped them reach other heights and win it by 17 points once, he also helped them make the CL 1/4 final (For the first time in 6 years), and then he helped them reach their first final in 12 years. Those years under which Rodgers' clueless dippers almost won the PL, Leicester City won it, and not one single PL club made it to a CL final. Under those years Serie A wasn't necessarily that far behind...

Pogba was an essential part of how Juventus were walking the league. And his Juventus weren't really suffering against English opposition in the CL.

Red00012

16 pages since he left the club. Some posters can’t get over him

alexthelion

Of course, Pogba didn't stay for Adidas. He stayed because United triggered the option, he was simply forced to stay and he chose not to try and go to the clash à la Kean vs Spurs. But in his current free agent situation, Adidas is part of making him choose Juventus (an Adidas club) over PSG (Nike).

I meant Adidas lobbied United to turn down Real offers in 2019 and keep Pogba here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-facing-pressure-adidas-16780587

He is playing well for France, you can't take that away from him. And has played well for his previous club. He did it consistently for Juventus over 4 years. He did it sporadically for us. Unfortunatelly we never had any sort of stability to help him perform more consistetly to the best of his abilities... And he is not the only one. Most of our signings have been disappointing to say the least.
International and Italian football are both much slower than the PL, that's why he looks better in those teams. He just doesn't think quick enough for PL football.

Chripper

That's what people that have worked with him suggests, players and managers. And you seem to care since you decided to question Rooney's opinion and share your own.
Really? Mourinho called him a virus. Has "virus" got a different meaning in Portuguese?

Alex Ferguson tried to persuade Pogba not to go to Italy. And Pogba was willing to sign, and then his agent turned up and persuaded him to leave United.

Doesn't like he has a mind of his own.

I'm shocked that people still want to stick up for Paul Pogba the player. He has siphoned £200m+ out of the club, whilst contributing next to nothing, but just because he pets cats and is polite lad, he gets a pass? Incredible

JPRouve

Scout
Really? Mourinho called him a virus. Has "virus" got a different meaning in Portuguese?

Alex Ferguson tried to persuade Pogba not to go to Italy. And Pogba was willing to sign, and then his agent turned up and persuaded him to leave United.

I'm shocked that people still want to stick up for Paul Pogba the player. He has siphoned £200m+ out of the club, whilst contributing next to nothing, but just because he pets cats and is polite lad, he gets a pass? Incredible
You know, you could just criticize the game of a player. You don't have to go into some ridiculous mental gymnastic in order to justify the bile that you want to spout. Now we have two interesting things here first Mourinho calling Pogba a virus is a rumour, you were happy to claim that you didn't care take into account rumours when it suited you so shouldn't you do the same here? Secondly what persuaded Pogba to leave is the prospect of having a lot of playing time for one of the best clubs in Europe.

And I would add that you are just being weird here, first you claim that his character is "mud" and when you can't support that claim unless you ignore what the vast majority of people have actually said about him, you then pretend that you don't care about the topic, a topic that you brought on your own.

The Original

Do you actually know the meaning of siphoned or you just like to talk rubbish?

OverratedOpinion

Fair enough, I am not one for defending him (I was a couple of years ago) but picking his France performances is probably not the best route to criticise him, especially when there is so much to criticise him for at Utd!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Fair enough, I am not one for defending him (I was a couple of years ago) but picking his France performances is probably not the best route to criticise him, especially when there is so much to criticise him for at Utd!
Yeah, I think slower pace games suit Pogbas languid style, he's like a lazy Berbatov, which takes some doing.

I was seriously excited by his return, and that "I'm back" video had me cooing like a teenage girl at a boy band concert (I'm too old to know who's relevant) - our scouts should be taking a pasting for not seeing that his style wouldn't transfer to the Premier League, I doubt he'd look great in France either, so PSG would be wise not to sign him.

Italy and international games is where Pogba shines.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If he is back to Juve at a reduced salary and against the advice of his own clan, one may think he just wants to be happy again… and surely he was, as a young prospect in Turin? The sentimental side of a number of players representing the club I support and finding it difficult to move on (think of Morata, Dybala, Chiellini… and Buffon, Pjanic, Mandzukic, Higuain, Matuidi… even Emre Can) makes me think it is a friendly environment, after all… in spite of the pressure of top level game, our recent decline, and the venom from the media and the internet.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, I think slower pace games suit Pogbas languid style, he's like a lazy Berbatov, which takes some doing.

I was seriously excited by his return, and that "I'm back" video had me cooing like a teenage girl at a boy band concert (I'm too old to know who's relevant) - our scouts should be taking a pasting for not seeing that his style wouldn't transfer to the Premier League, I doubt he'd look great in France either, so PSG would be wise not to sign him.

His style was perfectly fine for the PL, that take is frankly ridiculous and somehow people are comfortable making it, you would think that Pogba hasn't been our best or second best player when fit. We can agree of the fact that he was always overhyped or that he is inherently inconsistent which was true for France and Juventus but Pogba was a way above average midfielder in the PL.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Mind, you are clearly right and I am not the one suggesting otherwise, against the tide… yet consider the state of your club since a number of years and the fact that pretty almost 100% of the top players United gets, go on to underperform? Maybe, on top of the different league, the lesser demands of Serie A, etc. etc., is just United a toxic environment?

Noc-Z

ffs
I didn't want to resign him but we did so I wanted it to work but pretty quickly I couldn't stand him in our team. He was slow, lethargic, clumsy and without any drive. Whenever I imagine him in a game for us I imagine him all limbs, hanging onto the ball to long and getting clumsily entangled with another player. I've wanted him out for a long time - so I thought I'd be delighted when he left. But I can't say I'm delighted. It's a strange feeling, I'm happy he's gone as it's the right thing for club and player. But I feel a weird regret...maybe the waste of 6 years of a players career. And his part in this 6 years being so bad for United. I don't think it's all on Pogba, it was a mis-match and the club was in a mess most of the time but a lot of it is on Pogba too - the wrong attitude and not good enough. Ronaldo has shown that with the right attitude a top player will still shine, even surrounded by dross. Pretty sad way to have spent 6 years of his career.