Paul Pogba officially leaves Manchester United

The Urban Goose

This was our "Spice Boys" era. So we're still on the Liverpool schedule to win the title again in 2041.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Mind, you are clearly right and I am not the one suggesting otherwise, against the tide… yet consider the state of your club since a number of years and the fact that pretty almost 100% of the top players United gets, go on to underperform? Maybe, on top of the different league, the lesser demands of Serie A, etc. etc., is just United a toxic environment?
Pogba has been nowhere near what he is painted on here to be. His main problem the past few seasons has been staying fit. But when fit he’s always been one of our better performers. Lazy Berbatov is the type of ridiculous narrative that people throw around yet I’m a season ticket holder in the Stratford end and there’s never been a single instance when the crowd have got onto Pogba for being lazy. The one time that stands out when the crowd got on him at OT was after Jose dropped him and he came on against Seville and just looked lost. The worst I’ve seen him play. The fans jumped on him then…but if he was genuinely walking around like Berbatov the fans would have regularly been on him during games….and they haven’t been despite the hatred. Because he’s generally been one of our better players.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Mind, you are clearly right and I am not the one suggesting otherwise, against the tide… yet consider the state of your club since a number of years and the fact that pretty almost 100% of the top players United gets, go on to underperform? Maybe, on top of the different league, the lesser demands of Serie A, etc. etc., is just United a toxic environment?
We are a very toxic club right now I agree, but Pogba wouldn't justify having a team built around him, meaning he wouldn't get into City or Liverpools midfield as he laks the energy.

Fact is, he just wasn't ever going to have the team built around him because he was so inconsistent, Fernandes blew Pogba out of the water as soon as he arrived (bit of a dip this season - but again, that's what toxicity gets you).

Quintessential luxury player, and we didn't have the midfield to justify signing him, and he didn't have the skill/mentality to adapt and run harder.

Chripper

Do you actually know the meaning of siphoned or you just like to talk rubbish?
Well, if you're going to take everything literal:

Pogba isn't literally a virus. He's a carbon based life form. He isn't an infective agent that lives inside the cells of a host.

I mean, people keep calling him a leech. Do you spend your days and nights correcting these people for the inaccuracy of their observation?

The Original

Well, if you're going to take everything literal:

Pogba isn't literally a virus. He's a carbon based life form. He isn't an infective agent that lives inside the cells of a host.

I mean, people keep calling him a leech. Do you spend your days and nights correcting these people for the inaccuracy of their observation?
Virus and leech are metaphors.

To siphon money is to misappropriate funds usually for personal use. So what exactly is siphoning money meant to be a metaphor of as you've used it?

alexthelion

His style was perfectly fine for the PL, that take is frankly ridiculous and somehow people are comfortable making it, you would think that Pogba hasn't been our best or second best player when fit. We can agree of the fact that he was always overhyped or that he is inherently inconsistent which was true for France and Juventus but Pogba was a way above average midfielder in the PL.
:lol:

Dan_F

Yeah, I think slower pace games suit Pogbas languid style, he's like a lazy Berbatov, which takes some doing.

I was seriously excited by his return, and that "I'm back" video had me cooing like a teenage girl at a boy band concert (I'm too old to know who's relevant) - our scouts should be taking a pasting for not seeing that his style wouldn't transfer to the Premier League, I doubt he'd look great in France either, so PSG would be wise not to sign him.

Italy and international games is where Pogba shines.
It’s a bit of both in my opinion. His technical and athletic ability means more often than not he’s able to hold off a man and pick a pass, however in a better team, he shouldn’t need to hold the ball for so long.

Had he been playing under Pep for the last five years, I don’t think your opinion of him would be the same, he’d probably be a far more effective player.

Chripper

Virus and leech are metaphors.

To siphon money is to misappropriate funds usually for personal use. So what exactly is siphoning money meant to be a metaphor of as you've used it?
They are only metaphors in the eye of the beholder.

Let's say, hypothetically (Although, if this brief interaction is anything to by, hypotheticals and hypotheses ((Yes. Before you chime in with yet more Gramnar Nazisms, "hypotheses" is the plural of "hypothosis")) ect, may go over your head) a non-football reads someone remarking that "Paul Pogba is a virus". Said persons might batton down the hatches and brace themselves for, what they assume, is the new variant of Covid-19.

Terrified and scared that the world will be cast in another pandemic, and that quarantine is going to be a requisite, they lose all hope and go all Sylia Plath and stick their head in a gas oven

Or if that same non-footballing person reads someone saying "Paul Pogba is a leech". Said person might think nothing if it, save for being a wee bit confused why anyone would make such a weird and random declaration about a pet.

But fine, you knew exactly what i meant when i said that Paul Pogba siphoned £200m+ out of the United coffers. Everyone did. But I'm too quick to assume. Are you a football fan? Do you know who Paul Pogba is?

If your answer is "no" to either of those questions, especially the first one, then please accept my most humble smd genuine apology.

However, if your answer is "yes" to either, especially to the first one, then you're clearly just being a procative little pedant. Sadly, i can't help you with that.

But fine. Since you're clearly traumatised by my off-the-cuff phrasing (The phrase wasn't actually delivered "off my cuff". It's just an expression that the phrase was said on a whim.)

How about if I use "Paul Pogba has siphoned £200m+ from Manchester United" as an idiom?

The way that I said it, it would easily fall into the category of an idiom.

If you need any help: an idiom is an expression or a phrase that shouldn't be taken too literal, as it's commonly used to represent a metaphor.

Let me know if that helps. :)

AndersB

Let's say, hypothetically (Although, if this brief interaction is anything to by, hypotheticals and hypotheses ((Yes. Before you chime in with yet more Gramnar Nazisms, "hypotheses" is the plural of "hypothosis")) ect, may go over your head) a non-football reads someone remarking that "Paul Pogba is a virus". Said persons might batton down the hatches and brace themselves for, what they assume, is the new variant of Covid-19.

Terrified and scared that the world will be cast in another pandemic, and that quarantine is going to be a requisite, they lose all hope and go all Sylia Plath and stick their head in a gas oven

Or if that same non-footballing person reads someone saying "Paul Pogba is a leech". Said person might think nothing if it, save for being a wee bit confused why anyone would make such a weird and random declaration about a pet.

But fine, you knew exactly what i meant when i said that Paul Pogba siphoned £200m+ out of the United coffers. Everyone did. But I'm too quick to assume. Are you a football fan? Do you know who Paul Pogba is?

If your answer is "no" to either of those questions, especially the first one, then please accept my most humble smd genuine apology.

However, if your answer is "yes" to either, especially to the first one, then you're clearly just being a procative little pedant. Sadly, i can't help you with that.

But fine. Since you're clearly traumatised by my off-the-cuff phrasing (The phrase wasn't actually delivered "off my cuff". It's just an expression that the phrase was said on a whim.)

How about if I use "Paul Pogba has siphoned £200m+ from Manchester United" as an idiom?

If you need any help: an idiom is an expression or a phrase that shouldn't be taken too literal, as it's commonly used to represent a metaphor.

If you two throw a party at any time, hit me up with a PM. I'll bring a bottle of good Burgundy and a dictionary

The Original

Siphoned connotes a deliberate act of misappropriation. Completely wrongly used, and in my view, deliberately so, in order to cast additional shadows of negativity over Pogba's character.

And there aren't enough literary devices invented to describe how unhinged that post of yours sounds.

Ace Krampus

It just sucks because he's obviously a very good player but he never quite looked as good here as he did for France, especially not for a meaningful string of games. Oh well. Him not going to City feels like a win, I guess.

Chripper

Siphoned connotes a deliberate act of misappropriation. Completely wrongly used, and in my view, deliberately so, in order to cast additional shadows of negativity over Pogba's character.

And there aren't enough literary devices invented to describe how unhinged that post of yours sounds.
My decision connotes a football player who cost a shitload and in return, didn't deserve it, nor did he offer particularly good value.

I would call it "daylight robbery", but you'd probably grasp the "racist" straw.

Is that another way of saying that your reply wasn't in commensurate with my post?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would call it "daylight robbery"...
That would be more appropriate, arguably, since unlike "siphon" it doesn't actually (in spite of its literal meaning) suggest that anything positively illegal has taken place - that is, not when used metaphorically.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That would be more appropriate, arguably, since unlike "siphon" it doesn't actually (in spite of its literal meaning) suggest that anything positively illegal has taken place - that is, not when used metaphorically.
It still wouldn't be appropriate unless Pogba is Juventus.

GoldanoGraham

The reason Pogba has so many detractors is because of the following issues:

1. Too often Injured
2. Whenever away with France always bitching
3. Trying to move away continuously
4. Had the most loathsome Agent ever
5. Was very ineffective very often
6. Didn’t seem to really care
7. He dined on a few good games for France

Forget all the other shit - he has been angling to get away for years - his agent was always stirring up shit and offering him around. He was never committed and that is why he isn’t liked. He hasn’t been harshly treated - if he had not done all that other shit then he would have been loved.

Rolaholic

The reason Pogba has so many detractors is because of the following issues:

1. Too often Injured
2. Whenever away with France always bitching
3. Trying to move away continuously
4. Had the most loathsome Agent ever
5. Was very ineffective very often
6. Didn’t seem to really care
7. He dined on a few good games for France

Forget all the other shit - he has been angling to get away for years - his agent was always stirring up shit and offering him around. He was never committed and that is why he isn’t liked. He hasn’t been harshly treated - if he had not done all that other shit then he would have been loved.
We have other players in the team who are despised in spite of doing none of that either though, even those who are exemplary off the pitch.

He's disliked due to a combination of being the presses favorite whipping boy for years on, after they lost Sterling, and everyone expecting a Zidane x Viera regen rolled into one from the offset when that was never who he was.

Add a toxic club environment, where maybe a single new player in 7/8 years has actually enhanced their reputation after joining, with a resentful fanbase and you've got what we currently have. An underachieving and descending club where the vast majority of its players are made to be absolute punching bags and memes by their own fans, even moreso than by rival fanbases, at times.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It still wouldn't be appropriate unless Pogba is Juventus.
True - it doesn't actually work as a metaphor (in this particular example).

But it's still more appropriate than suggesting Pogba has done anything criminal (which is what siphoning usually implies).

Chripper

True. :)

I never knew that redcafe was filled with grammar Nazis. (Not you)

Who da thunk it? ;)

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

We have other players in the team who are despised in spite of doing none of that either though, even those who are exemplary off the pitch.

He's disliked due to a combination of being the presses favorite whipping boy for years on, after they lost Sterling, and everyone expecting a Zidane x Viera regen rolled into one from the offset when that was never who he was.

Add a toxic club environment, where maybe a single new player in 7/8 years has actually enhanced their reputation after joining, with a resentful fanbase and you've got what we currently have. An underachieving and descending club where the vast majority of its players are made to be absolute punching bags and memes by their own fans, even moreso than by rival fanbases, at times.
Others in the team who haven’t perform get shit (as many do at other clubs as well - it’s not unique to Utd) - but no other players have been bleating through their agent and their brothers continuously and even worse - everytime he went away on international duty he ran the club down - no other player has done this…..

It’s called disrespect……

I was always told that you earn respect and that is not how you do that.

TsuWave

His style was perfectly fine for the PL, that take is frankly ridiculous and somehow people are comfortable making it, you would think that Pogba hasn't been our best or second best player when fit. We can agree of the fact that he was always overhyped or that he is inherently inconsistent which was true for France and Juventus but Pogba was a way above average midfielder in the PL.
The revisionism regarding Pogba in this thread is insane. People are acting as if he didn’t get best player in the league shouts whilst at United - and no one contested it at the time because it was reflective of how good he was for United then. This wasn’t an isolated opinion either.

If you look at his performance threads Pogba would go in stretches of good performances and then people would jump in with "best performance in a United shirt?" multiple times. to the point it became almost a meme:

I even remember a post from @Idxomer saying something along the lines of "every good game for Pogba is 'the first time he played well' for United"

Overall, it hasn't turned out how we hoped it would, but people are getting in this thread saying he only had a handful of good games, or trying to force him among our worst signings - now people are trying to run "his style wasn't suitable for the PL", what the hell.

Tap

Ultimately, those players only have their own poor performances to blame if they become meme generators or the targets of criticism. Whether they are exemplary off the field or not does not matter.

For sure, the likes of Lingard and Pogba would had been a lot more well received if they had played better, showed stronger mentalities and attitudes. They could dab and post their social media stuff all they want and not many would criticise them as they were delivering the goods on the field.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ultimately, those players only have their own poor performances to blame if they become meme generators or the targets of criticism. Whether they are exemplary off the field or not does not matter.

For sure, the likes of Lingard and Pogba would had been a lot more well received if they had played better, showed stronger mentalities and attitudes. They could dab and post their social media stuff all they want and not many would criticise them as they were delivering the goods on the field.
What about Mata?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I thought we offered him a dumb 400k/week contract. If he thinks us not doing it would anger United supporters, you can see why he's failed with us.

The quote comes across a bit deluded. Of course, there's exaggeration in these documentaries to make it more exciting but I hope he fails miserably.

Stacker

Glad to see the back of him.

I imagine he would have been one of the main culprits for causing problems in the dressing room, especially knowing he was going to be moving on at the end of the season.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I don't know where to ask this. Is there a thread?

Why do players basically suck at Utd after performing elsewhere, or going on to perform elsewhere after they leave the club?

This has been going on for more than a decade. I'm convinced Pogba is going to shine, once again.

Confirmation bias?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don't know where to ask this. Is there a thread?

Why do players basically suck at Utd after performing elsewhere, or going on to perform elsewhere after they leave the club?

This has been going on for more than a decade. I'm convinced Pogba is going to shine, once again.

Confirmation bias?
Like who? Di Maria Zlatan and Lukaku? A few others we’ve let go of have been ok. Evans Blind Smalling Keane. Fact is we’ve massively overpaid average players for the most part. Our scouting sucks and any player that is inclined to stick around just for the money is encouraged to do so because the club wanted to keep costs competitively high without investing fresh cash on more suitable or ambitious transfers

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Like who? Di Maria Zlatan and Lukaku? A few others we’ve let go of have been ok. Evans Blind Smalling Keane. Fact is we’ve massively overpaid average players for the most part. Our scouting sucks and any player that is inclined to stick around just for the money is encouraged to do so because the club wanted to keep costs competitively high without investing fresh cash on more suitable or ambitious transfers
Maybe you're right. Maybe we don't suck the talent right out of players. It does seem so, sometimes.