Paul Pogba player of the year 2019-2020

fergiesarmy1

As he appears to have lost penalty privileges he is going to have to up his open play goals contribution, can’t see anyone getting it without double figures from an attacking midfielder role.

romufc

Pogba showed last season the level he can reach when played in his favorite position. That level can get him ballon d’dor. However, in a midfield two, he seems restricted.
How do you know NO. 10 is his Favourite position? There must have been conversations with Pogba and Ole prior to the start on where Ole sees him playing and where Pogba wants to play. Ole has maintained when you have Pogba, you build a team around him so it only makes sense if you play him in the position he wants.

So far this season, he looks like he wants to play in the midfield 2. Like he does for France.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Statman Dave is a retweet whore. This might give you the impression that he's been making loads of tackles and interceptions when he's actually made a paltry 2 across two games.

I can only assume this relates to 'ball recoveries' where he's picking up balls that have gone loose?

Pogba actually turned the ball over to Chelsea 24 times on the opening day. I'd guess that could be a record, or close to it, for a central midfielder in the PL this season.
So is that not down to hard work and good positioning all the same? Does it have to be a direct interception or tackle to be of any value?

I’d say a player who is constantly first to a rebound, first to a headed clearance, first to a ball that a player miscontrols or first to a ball which bounces out of a tackle is doing something right.

Classical Mechanic

So is that not down to hard work and good positioning all the same? Does it have to be a direct interception or tackle to be of any value?

I’d say a player who is constantly first to a rebound, first to a headed clearance, first to a ball that a player miscontrols or first to a ball which bounces out of a tackle is doing something right.
They are doing something right for sure but I'd say that a DLP is going to be the player best positioned to collect loose balls, the centre backs will often leave such ball for the DLP is near because their job is to recycle the ball. Pogba also turned the ball over 24 times against Chelsea when most of those recoveries were made .It was a messy game but one in which we very much saw the good and bad of Pogba and one of the reasons that he's so polemic.

steve.crowford

Ballon d’Or contender within the next 3 years
First he need to become the best player in EPL). Actually, in a DM position, it's almost impossible...

Last edited by a moderator:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So Gary Neville plays both sides of the aisle? I didn’t know that he could waffle so quickly. Thanks for the heads up. Pogba still needs to shut the fexxxr up. Gary leads the criticism of Pogba at every opportunity.
The criticism is warranted. He's not picking on a player he doesn't like. He's calling out a player who he has very high expectations for because he knows how good he could be. He isn't hating on him. In fact, nobody is. Everyone knows just how good Pogba can be. What we all want is to see that player consistantly...

El Zoido

We will have to become a much better side from him to be in with a shout of the individual awards, no matter how well he plays.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ballon d’Or contender within the next 3 years
Quite sure he will stay this until he's around 30 at which point people will start saying, yeah okay, maybe not Ballon d'Or, but that's only because he's unlucky <x> and <x> are better.

Denis79

Player of the year at United, could well happen. League? nah

Mcking

Is he though, or is it as a DLP he's the player in position to collect them? Him turnover the ball so much against Chelsea is relevant because it shows the pronounced negatives in his game too. He was better in that regard against Wolves because they sat off but still made two hospital passes that led to Wolves having attacks on goals.
He is not the only player playing as a deep lying midfielder in the EPL though, is he? He's got to work hard to be first to the loose balls regardless. I still don't see how possessions lost against Chelsea is relevant to the context of my initial post. You are using that to invent an argument when there's none.

Classical Mechanic

He is not the only player playing as a deep lying midfielder in the EPL though, is he? He's got to work hard to be first to the loose balls regardless. I still don't see how possessions lost against Chelsea is relevant to the context of my initial post. You are using that to invent an argument when there's none.
You claim that he's 'doing well' so far by posting a tweet that only tells a fraction of the story. The tweet from Statman Dave (Like most of his tweets) is a misleading narrative because of the absence of all the other information needed to qualify how he is actually performing.

He's just trying to get retweets from the fanboys with stuff like that.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How do you know NO. 10 is his Favourite position? There must have been conversations with Pogba and Ole prior to the start on where Ole sees him playing and where Pogba wants to play. Ole has maintained when you have Pogba, you build a team around him so it only makes sense if you play him in the position he wants.

So far this season, he looks like he wants to play in the midfield 2. Like he does for France.
I have no evidence that Pogba said, “it is his favorite position,” verbally. However any United fan that watches Pogba plays know he is more effective in a midfield three giving a free role. It is easy to assume it is because when a player plays well in a said position more than another position, the rationale viewpoint is to believe that that player prefer that position that he is more productive in.

romufc

I have no evidence that Pogba said, “it is his favorite position,” verbally. However any United fan that watches Pogba plays know he is more effective in a midfield three giving a free role. It is easy to assume it is because when a player plays well in a said position more than another position, the rationale viewpoint is to believe that that player prefer that position that he is more productive in.
So fans know more than the manager? But I see fans saying Smalling should start over Lindelof, so I don't want to judge by what so called United Fans think.

There is a reason why Jose played Pogba in a 2 and Ole started him in a 3 with advanced role and has put him back in a 2, and plays in a 2 for France. But I guess a world cup winning manager, Serial winner, and a rookie manager know less than the fans.

el3mel

OK. What's the point of this thread again? Could have been literally posted into his performance thread.

Mcking

You claim that he's 'doing well' so far by posting a tweet that only tells a fraction of the story. The tweet from Statman Dave (Like most of his tweets) is a misleading narrative because of the absence of all the other information needed to qualify how he is actually performing.

He's just trying to get retweets from the fanboys with stuff like that.
I'm not actually implying that his performances has been great, just that he's putting in a fair amount of work off the ball.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If Pogba gets player of the year just for MUFC over one of our new defenders, then that means we would've had a very successful year.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I believe Paul Pogba will continue playing the way he has played in the first 2 games and improve his consistency, and he will finally shut out Gary fxxxng Neville and all the media critics.

Paul Pogba is a beast of a player and will be a Ballon d’Or contender within the next 3 years. I hope we are able to keep hold of him and see the return of glory days.

Do any of you see it?
Not this year, and we may never see it unless the club can surround him with enough quality players to help him realise his full potential. He currently has too many responsibilities on the pitch because his midfield teammates are nowhere near his standard - Mata, Periera, Fred, Gomes (not yet ready) and Matic aren't good enough.

Maybe next season, after the club has set about fixing that area of the pitch during the summer transfer window as promised, we will begin to see Pogba perform as we all know he can.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Wonder how long until Frenkie de Jong plays himself into contention for being on par with Pogba despite their differences in physique. Seems in general there are some talented young mids walking around these days.

Jack Burke

Pogba, could easily become the best midfielder in the premier league and maybe even Europe if he done the simple things more, picking the right pass, not trying "Hollywood Balls" that even he might only pull of once in every 6 or 7 tries.

I feel Pogba came to the club and was under scrutiny from day 1, that came with the price tag. He taught with this price tag he has to be out of this world good every game. I feel he sometimes tries too hard for the pass that everyone says "wow" more times then just doing the simple thing. He could get so much more joy and consistency in his performances if he went away from that approach.

IMO he feels the pressure of the price tag, the constant headlines etc. that he has to try all this sort of stuff the sense that he has to prove himself as world class every time he plays,if he played simple football (with the occasional wow pass/goal we know he is capable of) he would be challenging for Balon D'ors.

Reactions: Penna

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So fans know more than the manager? But I see fans saying Smalling should start over Lindelof, so I don't want to judge by what so called United Fans think.

There is a reason why Jose played Pogba in a 2 and Ole started him in a 3 with advanced role and has put him back in a 2, and plays in a 2 for France. But I guess a world cup winning manager, Serial winner, and a rookie manager know less than the fans.
Not all fans, but some fans certainly know more than other and know more than the manager. Some fans also said Rashford should stick to penalties duty or that lingard and/or should be drop. We can’t just nitpick moment where fans are right and where managers are right. You are with the assumption that everything that a manager does is right :lol:.

Pogba is playing in a midfield two because we have no proper shield behind beside Matic. Ole doesn’t fancy Fred there for some strange reason as well. Having a front four is more productive to our team than having Matic, so by default Pogba plays in a midfield two. Else, Pogba will be playing in a midfield three where he had his best season ever at Juventus and his best moments here at United. It is not rocket science.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Some of our previous talented players came out of difficult times to become our best players (Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo). Who knows, this might just be one of those situations. I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba just used this adversity for motivation.

manunited1919

There's that and there's also the question as to why people take it so personally when said player gets criticism. You'd wonder if the OP has Pogba posters plastered all over his bedroom. Criticism works 2 ways, it either motivates you or makes you crumble. If it's the latter in regards to Pogba, then he isn't Player of the Year material.
Nope, none of that. I have been a “normal” fan up to this point. The thread is more based on something I’ve seen in the first couple of games where he is just integral to our team. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I am starting to see him transforming himself and being key to transforming our team. We will see in the next few games if it continues.

Irwin99

That stat about ball recoveries just seems bizarre. He's been a 6.5/7 out of ten in both games and I say this as someone who thinks he's by far our best player and the guy who our season depends upon most. The bad aspects of his game such as running into obvious blind alleys (Chelsea game in particular) and being a bit loose with his passes is balanced by his creativity and chance creation.

Not convinced at all that he'll remain in the deeper position unless he settles into the metronome role more as the season progresses. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes back to an attacking midfielder role sooner rather than later.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Won’t even be best player in our team, let alone Manchester!

The EPL and the entire world?!

Laughable, based on current evidence

romufc

Won’t even be best player in our team, let alone Manchester!

The EPL and the entire world?!

Laughable, based on current evidence
I am sure he will be top 3 performers in our team this season.

Copa Mundial

Its definitely very possible considering his potential.. But he would need to be quite consistent, with the rest of the team performing pretty decent around him,. But he has shown me nothing to say he can be consistent himself, and after the end of last season I don't have much confidence in the rest of them when the going gets tough.

On top of him almost certainly going to go missing for a good few games, and the fact he doesn't even want to be there. Id say nah.. not gonna happen.
100% this

Water Melon

I doubt that Paul will be United's best player this season. I also doubt that Real Madrid will offer more than 100M quid for Pogba next summer.

Lee565

Even though he's done well of playing like deep lying playmaker in the past 2 games we really need need him much further forward near the attack in a number 10 position because we currently only have 3 legit high quality attacking threats in our entire squad, rashford, martial and pogba but with pogba playing a more more deeper role we are handicapping ourselves slightly with so little attacking quality to choose from.

our rivals seem to have more depth in attacking threats than we currently can offer, I really dont know how a club of our attacking traditions have allowed such a situation to come about going into this season.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Pogba, could easily become the best midfielder in the premier league and maybe even Europe if he done the simple things more, picking the right pass, not trying "Hollywood Balls" that even he might only pull of once in every 6 or 7 tries.

I feel Pogba came to the club and was under scrutiny from day 1, that came with the price tag. He taught with this price tag he has to be out of this world good every game. I feel he sometimes tries too hard for the pass that everyone says "wow" more times then just doing the simple thing. He could get so much more joy and consistency in his performances if he went away from that approach.

IMO he feels the pressure of the price tag, the constant headlines etc. that he has to try all this sort of stuff the sense that he has to prove himself as world class every time he plays,if he played simple football (with the occasional wow pass/goal we know he is capable of) he would be challenging for Balon D'ors.
Pogba will never be recognized as that until united really challenge for titles. I cant think of a midfielder who was seen as that while playing for a team not challenging. Unless you are a striker or goalkeeper you need to play in elite team for those kind of recognition