Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

AFC NimbleThumb

Perhaps - perhaps not.

But it certainly could have, which is bad enough.

Generally, I think it's fair to hold Pogba responsible to some extent for his agent's outbursts. Pretending he has no influence over what Raiola says about United is quite bizarre - and completely unnecessary, I could add: Pogba isn't a horrible twat for letting his agent play a certain game, that's just business as far as I'm concerned - the bizarre part is, again, pretending he's 100% innocent.
When Pogba left United for Juventus the same agent was scathing towards our greatest ever manager.

When rumoured to be rejoining United, the agent was vocal in the press about his clients future.

Since joining, that agent has continued the trend of infrequently chatting nonsense.

Raiola if anything is a constant in this situation where as a number of the posters who say they don’t like Pogba because of his agent are the same people saying we should bring Haaland in, a player who. . . has the same representative.

The people that hang on the words Raiola says most are the fans, Pogba has dealt with the man for years & could quite simply just look at the outbursts as par for the course.

The fake outrage at Raiola on here is clear to see if you do a quick post check in transfer threads involving his agents when they’re linked to us.
Can’t believe he’s forcing the club to post videos on our app of him scoring audacious goals in a bid to get PSG or Real to pay up for him :mad:

Also in the clips he’s laughing….and I know he’s laughing at us

Virus…get rid.
Playing us like puppets indeed.

DSG

Great. Reminds me of all those times he was equally exquisite in real matches.
Yes. Especially the handballs in the box that lost us matches, the bad tackles for penalties. Will go down as an Old Trafford legend! Our greatest midfielder who was a serial winner, with a League Cup and Europa League trophy in just 5 years!

The Purley King

Of course they do, but that's not the point is it? Perceived value prior to signing and his actual value are two entirely different things. Do you expect less from Rashford because he was a youth product, or almost nothing from Cavani because he was a freebie? You expect them all to be of a certain quality. When you decide whether you resign a player or if they are an important member of the team, then the transfer fee you paid 5 years ago has absolutely no bearing. Criticism of his transfer fee falls squarely at the feet of the people that negotiated and agreed it.
Yes of course I expect everyone who plays to be of a certain quality.
But if someone has been signed for a world record fee or close to it then that player should routinely produce world class performances. If they don’t for whatever reason that is going to be under way more scrutiny than a home grown player.
Home grown = minimal cost apart from wages. They will always get an easier ride due to perceived loyalty and Man Utd’s history with bringing players through from the youth team and how important that is to us.
Rightly or wrongly that will always be the case here.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
When Pogba left United for Juventus the same agent was scathing towards our greatest ever manager.

When rumoured to be rejoining United, the agent was vocal in the press about his clients future.

Since joining, that agent has continued the trend of infrequently chatting nonsense.

Raiola if anything is a constant in this situation where as a number of the posters who say they don’t like Pogba because of his agent are the same people saying we should bring Haaland in, a player who. . . has the same representative.

The people that hang on the words Raiola says most are the fans, Pogba has dealt with the man for years & could quite simply just look at the outbursts as par for the course.

The fake outrage at Raiola on here is clear to see if you do a quick post check in transfer threads involving his agents when they’re linked to us.

Playing us like puppets indeed.
Yet he's representing the club, and is marketing our new kits. Would that be the case if we knew he was going?

How many shirts have been sold with his name on the back? I understand your theory. But that's exactly what it is. Just theory.

I'd actually hate to be wrong. But still think he's stalling for a new contract.

I am a not a fan of his agent either. As most aren't.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You must have said this about 10 times in this thread already… Two things to consider for me, no one has bid, and IMO, no one will bid when they get him for free next year, and the second is that the club want to keep him.

I gave a list of people in the last year of there contracts a bit ago, it’s not just a pogba situation. No one is spending 50 million on him yet. Varane is obviously different because there would probably be a bidding war for him in a years time, PSG can wait it out…
Good so certain posters can actually read it everyday why the fans want him to go not due to unprofessional conduct.

I told you already PSG are interested. The issue is that we demanded 70m and the agent demanded high agent fees. And this can easily be solved if we are willing to accept 50m and Pogba tells his agent not to demand high agent fees to allow the move. Just take a look at Varane’s case.

Tallis

If we do give him a new contract, we should put in some kind of gag against Raiola making public statements about Man Utd or the manager. Penalties for talking crap basically.

sugar_kane

Given that Haaland is looking more promising now, I wonder if that’s why we’re playing nicely with Raiola still.

The Pogba contract chat does strike me a little as a club going through the motions, or at best trying to protect his value, rather than a sincere desire to keep him beyond next Summer.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I’m happy to let him leave on a free next summer. Or sell him for 35/40/50m This summer. Why? Resigning him to 5 year contract this summer would mean a financial commitment of £100m in wages, plus the non-stop circus that is Pogba. I’d rather bring in Camavinga, who will have less than half his wages.

I’m also concerned that the Caf will implode if we have another 5 years of nonstop Pogba debate. Seriously, he’s too polarizing of a player...
That's a weird thing to be concerned about. I would happily take meltdowns here if Pogba stays and does well.

finneh

Good so certain posters can actually read it everyday why the fans want him to go not due to unprofessional conduct.

I told you already PSG are interested. The issue is that we demanded 70m and the agent demanded high agent fees. And this can easily be solved if we are willing to accept 50m and Pogba tells his agent not to demand high agent fees to allow the move. Just take a look at Varane’s case.
It might be that it takes some activity in the transfer market to create the demand. Most people know the Premier League clubs are the wealthiest this window, but there will be a knock on effect.

For example if Lukaku goes to Chelsea for €130m then Inter may become interested. If that happens rather than PSG believing it's a choice between €70m now or nothing in 12 months, it becomes now or never.

With the top 6 in the PL still likely to spend £300+m they'll be a lot of activity resulting from this. I thought any Pogba transfer was going to be towards the end of the window.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we do give him a new contract, we should put in some kind of gag against Raiola making public statements about Man Utd or the manager. Penalties for talking crap basically.
If that had to happen, it would have happened already, and from Pogba's side. That it hasn't means he's perfectly happy with his agent using the media as a marketing/negotiating tactic, and the club knows they can't control everybody.

Bestietom

I don't think we have a choice really. And if we give him a deadline, we might lose him for nothing for real. He will have plenty of offers for next summer so personally, I think he will be off next year.
On a FREE then.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yet he's representing the club, and is marketing our new kits. Would that be the case if we knew he was going?

How many shirts have been sold with his name on the back? I understand your theory. But that's exactly what it is. Just theory.

I'd actually hate to be wrong. But still think he's stalling for a new contract.

I am a not a fan of his agent either. As most aren't.
What’s my ‘theory’?

People are theorising that Pogba is somehow behind/in agreement with his agents comments with no grounds to do so; all I’ve said is his agent has always talked a lot - not a theory an observation.

Where have I talked about shirt sales & marketing? Was this post even meant for me?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think a positive start to the season by the team and some free flowing football can sway him to sign a new deal and commit. PSG is an uncertain project, I think he'd be sensible to renew.

Scriblerus

Telegraph (horrible rag these days, but not necessarily wrong on this) are saying Pogba will start the season in our squad and then make his mind up before the transfer deadline. Not the way to do things if you have any regard for your current employers being able to plan ahead - though my impression of all this is that none of the very few clubs that could afford him is minded to shell out fees and salary right now, so the face saver is going to be 'I've chosen to stay / we've chosen to keep him".

Reactions: oates

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This was at the point where it was civil war between him and Jose. Jose had the press label him a virus and the fans turned on him, of course he wanted to leave.

Ever since Jose went and Ole came he's been completely different. Raiola has barely said a word since that point.

Is it true Pogba wanted to leave then? yes. Is it true he's happy here now, his family are settled and he's considering staying? yes.

Maybe he will want to try a different challenge? who knows. People need to get over the fact a footballer doesn't want to spend his career all in the same place.

I'm sure though if he can see the team is being ambitious and will be aiming for trophies he will be happy.
The bit about Raiola is not strictly true

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.sky...summer-transfer-window-says-agent-mino-raiola

if memory serves I think there might be one from last season too

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Telegraph (horrible rag these days, but not necessarily wrong on this) are saying Pogba will start the season in our squad and then make his mind up before the transfer deadline. Not the way to do things if you have any regard for your current employers being able to plan ahead - though my impression of all this is that none of the very few clubs that could afford him is minded to shell out fees and salary right now, so the face saver is going to be 'I've chosen to stay / we've chosen to keep him".
Yeah I was a bit annoyed by that because our options will be closed by that time. They should give him a deadline and be prepared to move on it

Bestietom

Yeah I was a bit annoyed by that because our options will be closed by that time. They should give him a deadline and be prepared to move on it
But club cannot really do anything if he refuses to go to PSG and wait until the summer and go on a Free.
Just hope that if this is the case his performances don't drop for us this season. It's a big risk, imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The bit about Raiola is not strictly true

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.sky...summer-transfer-window-says-agent-mino-raiola

if memory serves I think there might be one from last season too
Fair enough, to be honest i'd forgotten that one.

I think this was when Raiola was talking at the golden boy awards right? he was speaking to an italian paper. Raiola says a lot of things and backtracks on them, I think his way of negotiating is very aggressive and public.

IMO the way I see it - Raiola is doing his job and trying to get Pogba the best contract possible. He doesn't care whether it's at United or elsewhere, and will do or say anything to get the job done.

It seems at some point (mainly when he was having injury issues) we refused to match what he wanted, so Raiola wen't public and said he's unhappy, wants to leave etc.

Since that point he recovered his form, injuries are behind him and the noise has become a lot more positive.

It's no coincidence he's running his contract down as he will end up getting a higher wage offer elsewhere that he can use as leverage. It's up to the club to decide whether it's worth matching that or letting him walk.

As long as he is fully commited here and keeps playing his best that's all I care about. If he ends up leaving to PSG for a huge contract then crack on, we will move on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It might be that it takes some activity in the transfer market to create the demand. Most people know the Premier League clubs are the wealthiest this window, but there will be a knock on effect.

For example if Lukaku goes to Chelsea for €130m then Inter may become interested. If that happens rather than PSG believing it's a choice between €70m now or nothing in 12 months, it becomes now or never.

With the top 6 in the PL still likely to spend £300+m they'll be a lot of activity resulting from this. I thought any Pogba transfer was going to be towards the end of the window.
Lukaku won’t leave next year for free though. Pogba will. Big difference why we need to lower our demand and give ourself only two choices whether cash in or tell the player to sign a new contract.

spiriticon

Think he will leave on a free next year too. It's the best way to get a massive contract and a big payout for Mino.

afrocentricity

I think a start to the season by the team and some free flowing football can sway him to sign a new deal and commit. PSG is an uncertain project, I think he'd be sensible to renew.
Do you think it would sway the caf into not being so fecking negative? I hope so...

Last edited:

afrocentricity

I feel like we should be working on contingencies up until we can't. We've improved drastically at handling signings and I see us making the best out of whatever happens. Shit happens, and we'll deal with it.

To be honest a lot of negativity comes from uncertainty and Pogba hadn't helped himself in that regard.
I've moved on from that, shit happens. Looking forward to the season regardless :keano:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Pogba and Mbappe are both free agents in 2022.

What if we entertain a Pogba + 20m trade offer? I don't believe Pogba actually wants to join PSG and Ligue 1, but in a imaginary scenario. Could we tempt Mbappe to our project and make him forget about Real?

Judas

Open to offers
Pogba and Mbappe are both free agents in 2022.

What if we entertain a Pogba + 20m trade offer? I don't believe Pogba actually wants to join PSG and Ligue 1, but in a imaginary scenario. Could we tempt Mbappe to our project and make him forget about Real?
It would be more like 100m plus Pogba seeing as PSG are Still valuing Mbappe at over 150m apparently.

finneh

Lukaku won’t leave next year for free though. Pogba will. Big difference why we need to lower our demand and give ourself only two choices whether cash in or tell the player to sign a new contract.
Absolutely. The point is there is no point in significantly reducing our demands when there's a lot of business left this Summer.

If PSG are still the only interested club in a couple of weeks once the likes of Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc have spent another £300m between them then I'd agree.

Tony247

If he gives everything for the team and help win the title/CL this season and then leave for free then I won't hold any grudge.

8thWonder

I'm sure they'll have both angles covered. Keep him, good. Not signed a contract in Jan, keep scouting and sounding out players. I mean players are sold unexpectantly and replaced every summer and January by clubs aren't they, and this shouldn't be too much of a suprise if he goes.

But club cannot really do anything if he refuses to go to PSG and wait until the summer and go on a Free.
Just hope that if this is the case his performances don't drop for us this season. It's a big risk, imo.
I don't get why his performances drop off if he doesn't sign a contract tbh, never have. If he wants to go to a top club, then he'll need to play well. And the other side to this is that he seems to me, to be the sort of player who just enjoys playing football.

Why are you limiting the options? If, and its a big if, the club do still believe they can keep Pogba and they believe him to be World Class, then why would you shut that door completely?

I get all the arguments about consistency etc but there should also be an undoubtable stance from everyone in here that his talent and ability is up there with the very best in World football. If you are the club and Manager who have someone like that and he's popular, hard working and professional then I think you've got to do your best to keep him and get the best out of him.

Do you think it would sway the caf into not being so fecking negative? I hope so...
Not a chance in hell. People love to moan and shout into the wind.

This squad is so exciting and laden with talent that I love to watch, Pogba being right up there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why are you limiting the options? If, and its a big if, the club do still believe they can keep Pogba and they believe him to be World Class, then why would you shut that door completely?

I get all the arguments about consistency etc but there should also be an undoubtable stance from everyone in here that his talent and ability is up there with the very best in World football. If you are the club and Manager who have someone like that and he's popular, hard working and professional then I think you've got to do your best to keep him and get the best out of him.
Nothing to do with consistency etc. It has something to do with the fact that Pogba has a lot of value in him and if we lose him for free next year then it will be disaster because we will struggle to get a new midfielder while we would lose high value player for feckin free!!

If he signs a new contract now then we wouldn't be losing him for free. If we cash in now, we would have 50m to get a midfielder that has potential also benefit for the team to challenge the league. If we cash in sooner, that's even better as it will allow the manager to make a plan to who he can get with that 50m that suits the team and transform the team.

DSG

That's a weird thing to be concerned about. I would happily take meltdowns here if Pogba stays and does well.
I was half joking… the Caf has always been a platform for irrational debate.

But seriously, After 5 years here, has Pogba “done well”? I would say no. Why would you need / want another 5 years?

8thWonder

Nothing to do with consistency etc. It has something to do with the fact that Pogba has a lot of value in him and if we lose him for free next year then it will be disaster because we will struggle to get a new midfielder while we would lose high value player for feckin free!!

If he signs a new contract now then we wouldn't be losing him for free. If we cash in now, we would have 50m to get a midfielder that has potential also benefit for the team to challenge the league. If we cash in sooner, that's even better as it will allow the manager to make a plan to who he can get with that 50m that suits the team and transform the team.
So it's all about the money for you?

United will weigh all this up won't they? They'll have far more qualified people than you or me to figure out what's the best for Manchester United PLC and Manchester United football club.

You still seem absolutely certain a bid would come in for £50 million, I genuinely don't think it will. If it doesn't, then all of your arguments are null and void.

If it does and United reject it then you would assume they have calculated every outcome and possible future investments required for replacements and still decided it was the right thing to do.

If he does leave, then fingers crossed they go and sign a replacement.

In your worst case scenario, Pogba goes on a free. If Pogba goes on a free, I guarantee, we still go out and buy a midfielder, I promise you. Don't worry about the money side of it when the truth is, no one has any feckin idea about the ins and outs of the situation.

bosskeano

Pogba and his family is happy and settled in manchester until january when Madrid come in and offer him a contract to move inthe summer. Then you'll see that they aren't settled anymore and need a change of scenery.