Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

RedDevilRoshi

Very encouraging good news - as good as a new signing. Pogba’s been terrific so far this season.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Why are you bothered that people care about it? Are you considering the worst case scenario about people expressing concern?
Im not that bothered, I expressed my thoughts, you responded with yours, we respond back & forth but suddenly I’m bothered?
I just think it’s pointless, but if you wanna keep caring about salaries, nothing is stopping you.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah well this is the thing. Some were upset at the idea of giving Pogba parity with Dave but how can you not?

The rule doesn't apply throughout the team but your best players will seek similar or better wages than one another, same in every team, that's what it will take for this one to get over the line imo. He's looking for his last big contract. We should take the opportunity to tie him down for his best/peak years here at the club, that means making him possibly the highest paid player (after Ronaldo.)
Prior to last season and this I wouldnt have agreed with it, but from when he got over to covid to now Ive totally been won over, He absolutely deserves parity with the highest earner, with the possible exception of Ronaldo, he is just a special case. Other than that I totally agree with tying him down, now that we have a cracking team he is the final piece for a side like that IMO, not the bedrock you start from.

Red_toad

Im not that bothered, I expressed my thoughts, you responded with yours, we respond back & forth but suddenly I’m bothered?
I just think it’s pointless, but if you wanna keep caring about salaries, nothing is stopping you.
Who said I cared? I gave a reason, I did not express an opinion. I understand why others do. You tried to make out it wasn’t a valid concern and that people shouldn’t be bothered.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Who said I cared? I gave a reason, I did not express an opinion. I understand why others do. You tried to make out it wasn’t a valid concern and that people shouldn’t be bothered.
I don't think it's a valid concern for fans and I don't think people should be bothered, I've made that very clear.
However I don't care what anyone does, I just stated my opinion.

Rolaholic

Ornstein is one of the most reliable UK journo's around and doesn't really do clickbait so I'm encouraged by that report.

Also saw this from Sky

Think if we continue in good form to start the season until our tougher run of fixtures we should see movement regarding the contract talks

Shark

@NotShark
Personally I'll be relatively pleased if Pogba signs a new deal, but not awfully fussed if he doesn't. Still don't buy the 'he's our best player' lark. He goes through some phenomenal patches of form but over the entire season blows too hot and cold to be considered our best. Both Shaw and Bruno both have a stronger mentality for me as United players even if they're less talented. Ronaldo of course goes without saying.

spiriticon

I'll be pissed off if Madrid nabs him for a free. They were willing to fork out 140 million for Mbappe on his last year of contract and can't even be bothered to put in a cheap offer for Pogba in the same situation.

Wankers.

Pronewbie

Peep
Personally I'll be relatively pleased if Pogba signs a new deal, but not awfully fussed if he doesn't. Still don't buy the 'he's our best player' lark. He goes through some phenomenal patches of form but over the entire season blows too hot and cold to be considered our best. Both Shaw and Bruno both have a stronger mentality for me as United players even if they're less talented. Ronaldo of course goes without saying.
This. And especially if his agent is asking for crazy money to extend his stay, then no thank you.

Green_Red

But do we know what we've offered?

Because everybody will have their own opinion on what's 'fair' for him as a wage. In my opinion it comes back to the question of who are the best players in this team and does he deserve parity with those players?

In short my answer would be yes. Yes he does deserve to be level with the likes of De Gea, when you weigh up his ability, his worth to the team, his creativity, even from a marketing perspective, everything suggests he would be one of our very highest earners (a lot disagreed when I said that during the summer window.)

My opinion hasn't wavered as I've continually posted along these lines because whenever fit he's invariably one of our very best performers and our most talented. To replace that player would cost far more in the long term and there's nobody available that provides what he can going forwards. From that perspective it's an absolute no-brainer for me that we should offer him top wages, retain the player and continue to build on the excellent quality we now have within the team and supplement that with the focus on a DM. It's without doubt the best approach in our progress for building/finishing this rebuild that Ole started.
You'd think based on our previous offers and contracts that it would be fair.

Green_Red

Thank god you aren’t in charge of recruitment.

Can United replace Pogba with another midfielder? Yes. Will said midfielder be better than Pogba? If so then he’ll cost a lot.

You don’t simply replace talent by being stubborn.
If I were in charge of recruitment and contracts we wouldn't have had the Sanchez et. al contract debacles. We'd be easily able to offload our deadwood too because their contact wages would be affordable by other clubs.

Green_Red

Doesn't work like that. We just cannot afford to rebuild every summer if we keep losing players like this. We still need a DM , right back and a striker next summer.

And we would be having issues to find a replacement. Just tell me who do you think can come in and take over from him. There isn't someone like him today.
We did very well last season when he was on the sidelines for large spells. Do you not remember that?

RUCK4444

Prior to last season and this I wouldnt have agreed with it, but from when he got over to covid to now Ive totally been won over, He absolutely deserves parity with the highest earner, with the possible exception of Ronaldo, he is just a special case. Other than that I totally agree with tying him down, now that we have a cracking team he is the final piece for a side like that IMO, not the bedrock you start from.
Yes totally agree.

And the bolded is especially true. I've said for many a year that he is, in some ways, the type of player that is the icing on the cake, a special player that can elevate an already well built side. The trouble is he's been playing in teams that were far from the finished article, so losing him now would be all the more bitter as were finally building a quality side.

If we can tie him down now, go on and strengthen the DM position he could have some ridiculously productive seasons for us, we've seen what he's capable of in just a few games and I think he’s capable of another level to this, I really do becuase we haven’t really clicked performance wise this season, it’s still been a bit sketchy (like the game on Saturday which wasn’t exactly the fluid football that were capable of.)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yes totally agree.

And the bolded is especially true. I've said for many a year that he is, in some ways, the type of player that is the icing on the cake, a special player that can elevate an already well built side. The trouble is he's been playing in teams that were far from the finished article, so losing him now would be all the more bitter as were finally building a quality side.

If we can tie him down now, go on and strengthen the DM position he could have some ridiculously productive seasons for us, we've seen what he's capable of in just a few games and I think he’s capable of another level to this, I really do becuase we haven’t really clicked performance wise this season, it’s still been a bit sketchy (like the game on Saturday which wasn’t exactly the fluid football that were capable of.)
Im guilty of not taking that into account, but Im definitely converted now :lol:

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I'll believe it when I see it. How many times over the last two years have we heard after a win that "oh Pogba likes the direction and he's leaning towards signing"? Yet he hasn't signed.

ForeverRed1

Be a shame if he leaves without winning anything at united. Would just make him a meh player. Win something big and leave.. you leave a little bit of a legacy.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We did very well last season when he was on the sidelines for large spells. Do you not remember that?
Very well ? I wouldn't call that as "very well "! We are building a title challenging team not a team that competes for top 6.

Giggsy13

It doesn’t make sense for him to sign now. His agent will leverage Madrid and PSG to every single penny before he signs up. Of course by January we should know.

TsuWave

I'll believe it when I see it. I predicted he would play this "almost ready to sign" nonsense for the majority of this season. He'll go wherever he can get pay the most, that's usually the case with Raiola's clients. Could still be us, but there's no way he won't "ask" for a bigger pay increase.
yes, players and their reps try to negotiate better pay for themselves. What’s the issue?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Im guilty of not taking that into account, but Im definitely converted now :lol:
I have said that from day one but I believe that people see it as a negative or an excuse when it's just the reality of sport. Some players are developed to be part of the fundations of a team, they may not be flashy or enticing but their role is important, on the other end, you have players that make the difference between a good and a great team, the likes of Pogba, Di Maria or Ozil are in that category, in a well oiled team they elevate the ceiling of your team but they won't elevate the floor.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It doesn’t make sense for him to sign now. His agent will leverage Madrid and PSG to every single penny before he signs up. Of course by January we should know.
I dont think it's his agent or money. He just want to win things and play in a brilliant team.

Threesus

I feel like Madrid are cooking up something big next summer. If they get Pogba and Mbappe on a free...

macheda14

Which would point to the tweet being clickbait.
Saturday saw him play with one of the best players ever who won us the game. The atmosphere was electric, the feel around the club jumped up multiple levels. He very likely could have been very affected by how great Saturday was because of the Ronaldo effect. Ornstein is a very reputable journo, so no this isn't clickbait.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
yes, players and their reps try to negotiate better pay for themselves. What’s the issue?
Have you been reading the thread? There's a lot of "he wants to win things, it's not about money" type comments.

Also the issue with his "negotiating" is that he'll get extortionate amounts or he fecks off on a free. Not really in the interest of the club, which is all I care about.

I'm not saying he's acting illogically, just that it's bad for us.

JPRouve

Scout
Have you been reading the thread? There's a lot of "he wants to win things, it's not about money" type comments.

Also the issue with his "negotiating" is that he'll get extortionate amounts or he fecks off on a free. Not really in the interest of the club, which is all I care about.

Why would you assume that a good deal for a player is a bad deal or, I guess, an unacceptable deal for the club?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Saturday saw him play with one of the best players ever who won us the game. The atmosphere was electric, the feel around the club jumped up multiple levels. He very likely could have been very affected by how great Saturday was because of the Ronaldo effect. Ornstein is a very reputable journo, so no this isn't clickbait.
Your point doesn't necessarily match your conclusion.

Like I said in my original post, there's a myriad of reasons for him to want to stay now, not the whimsy of a single, relatively meaningless game. If he comes out and says that swung it for him, fair enough, but as things stand as of now, that's some flight of fancy used to piggyback the euphoria of what was a glorious day (maximising clicks) for the majority of United fans around the world.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why would you assume that a good deal for a player is a bad deal or, I guess, an unacceptable deal for the club?
Because if he signs for us it'll be for same salary + signing bonus he'd get at PSG/Real Madrid.

He's proven to be unreliable in a midfield 2 in the premier league. He can't play behind Bruno unless its against shite teams. And yes he was phenomenal in the LW position the first two games, but last year he did feck all in that position outside of that sub appearance against Milan right after his injury.

He's been a luxury player for us up 'till now and he'd be magnificent consistently in a league with a lot less pressure on the ball. He's not worth to us what he is to RM/PSG. No one dares to not park the bus against PSG and RM can build the midfield around him with Casemiro and Camevinga.

I think he's useful for us against the parked bus in CM but his salary demands don't match "useful" player. He's decent in that LW position, but on average not better than a fully fit Rashford or an actual world class player that delivers the goods more consistently.

RUCK4444

I guess it’s easily done because the price tag and reputation he has means it’s easy to expect him to be a player that will drag the team by the scruff of the neck, like a Robson or Keane or dare I say Gerrard type, he’s just never been that type of player though.

He’s guilty of needing cover from a defensive partner or partners and some didn't like the idea of affording him that, they perhaps expected him to be the glue to bring everything together from the get go.

I’d be over the moon to see him sign a new contract. I think he’s capable of even better things for us with the right player next to him and the new levels of quality we now have both in front and behind him.

JPRouve

Scout
Because if he signs for us it'll be for same salary + signing bonus he'd get at PSG/Real Madrid.

He's proven to be unreliable in a midfield 2 in the premier league. He can't play behind Bruno unless its against shite teams. And yes he was phenomenal in the LW position the first two games, but last year he did feck all in that position outside of that sub appearance against Milan right after his injury.

He's been a luxury player for us up 'till now and he'd be magnificent consistently in a league with a lot less pressure on the ball. He's not worth to us what he is to RM/PSG. No one dares to not park the bus against PSG and RM can build the midfield around him with Casemiro and Camevinga.

I think he's useful for us against the parked bus in CM but his salary demands don't match "useful" player. He's decent in that LW position, but on average not better than a fully fit Rashford or an actual world class player that delivers the goods more consistently.
So you are confusing your opinion with what the club may or may not believe is acceptable? And you also have no idea about what he asked for or what the club is willing to offer.

TsuWave

I read your post. Wanting to win things and wanting money are not mutually exclusive. It's understood that players will look after their financial future so the implication behind the posts you're making reference to is that winning things is likely the main differentiator/primary concern. Can't be proven until we see said choice and reports quoting the numbers involved.

Well, the club knew the situation and let it run this close, and Pogba will only get what the club is willing to offer, so likely not something the club considers "extortionate" when considering his value as an asset.

dal

Pogba won’t be a huge miss at all, he’s been very inconsistent his entire time here.

I’d rather have Phillips playing in a midfield two, especially, and he doesn’t set the world alight from the left either.

————————Ronaldo/Cavani——————
Ronaldo/Rashford——Sancho-Greenwood.
————————-Bruno/Sancho———————

Martial/lingard/Omad providing auxiliary depth.

VDB/Mctominay/Fred/Phillips - that’s fine.

Replace Cavani and Martial with Haaland next year and we are there or thereabouts.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba won’t be a huge miss at all, he’s been very inconsistent his entire time here.

I’d rather have Phillips playing in a midfield two, especially, and he doesn’t set the world alight from the left either.

meh.
Philips instead of Pogba. Bloody hell

Eugenius

The 'Pogba is a luxury player' argument is one of the worst takes when our remaining CM options are McFred and Matic. And when he's literally assisted half our goals so far this season.