Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

SAFMUTD

Pogba won’t be a huge miss at all, he’s been very inconsistent his entire time here.

I’d rather have Phillips playing in a midfield two, especially, and he doesn’t set the world alight from the left either.

————————Ronaldo/Cavani——————
Ronaldo/Rashford——Sancho-Greenwood.
————————-Bruno/Sancho———————

Martial/lingard/Omad providing auxiliary depth.

VDB/Mctominay/Fred/Phillips - that’s fine.

Replace Cavani and Martial with Haaland next year and we are there or thereabouts.
Must be trolling surely

Infra-red

Maybe we should only ever sign our players up to one year contracts, so that they are all permanently playing for a new deal/signing-on fee.

He's performing very well at the moment, but will no doubt turn into Wayne Rooney circa 2014, as soon as he gets his new £400k pw contract.

I've given up caring which way this one goes, but one thing is certain, we absolutely need to prioritise a decent holding midfielder above all other considerations next summer.

Blood Mage

Pogba won’t be a huge miss at all, he’s been very inconsistent his entire time here.

I’d rather have Phillips playing in a midfield two, especially, and he doesn’t set the world alight from the left either.

————————Ronaldo/Cavani——————
Ronaldo/Rashford——Sancho-Greenwood.
————————-Bruno/Sancho———————

Martial/lingard/Omad providing auxiliary depth.

VDB/Mctominay/Fred/Phillips - that’s fine.

Replace Cavani and Martial with Haaland next year and we are there or thereabouts.
I agree that it won't be difficult to replace Pogba unless the Glazers penny pinch again, but replace him with Kalvin Phillips are you serious?! :lol: :lol:

dal

Strange how people seem to seem Pogba has only existed at Man Utd for the last 6-8 months.

Hes been incredibly inconsistent for us.

For those arguing that I’m replacing Pogba with Phillips, yes I am. Ole and most of the Cafe prefer him on the left wing to central midfield, so yes replacing a makeshift winger with a proper midfielder is exactly what I’m doing.

Against the top 6 Pogba doesn’t make my 11, there can’t be many of you who disagree surely?

——————-Ronaldo——————
Rashford——Bruno——Sancho
———Mctominay-Fred—————

some of you will of course ignore his midfield weaknesses and prefer him in midfield because of his great performances from the left.

I prefer him on the left and think he’s quite good there but Rashford is better from that position.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
8 of 16. He missed 3, so it was 11 total penalties but 8 scored. Even if you take them out, it's 8 goals and 10 assists he ended 18/19 season with.
Are you sure it wasn't that he scored 11 of 14? The website I referenced for the stats listed total penalties scored as 11, not total penalties taken.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Philips is shite though. I can think of 20 players off the top of my head I'd rather take than Phillips.

IhabX7

The mods need to crack down on the rubbish posted in this thread. They must have given up on the Ronaldo v Messi one, because that one is a shit show if I ever saw one.

Ralph1386

Fabrizio Romano’s detailed take on the subject.

Basically says an offer has been on the table for a while, things are positive but nothing is signed yet.

TMS

Inconsistent or not, Pogba is an incredible talent and has played well relatively consistently since late last season. He's obviously started this season well playing in a couple different spots on the field over the first few games. I think if we are to match or better the summer window just gone in 2022 it'll have to include keeping Pogba. Bring in Haaland and a quality holding midfielder like Rice on top of that and suddenly if Ole isn't providing a genuine title contender on the pitch then his job would legitimately be at risk. Fingers crossed this happens and Ole does have us right at the top, because up until now he's been hamstrung by not getting one or two extra transfers each time.

predator

Youth NITK
As good as done. @predator
Even after what I've said in this thread, it's currently a very very good time to be a manchester united player. Paul has been through highs (somewhat) and lows at this club and knows what it's all about. He's spent alot of his years in this part of the world and does have a connection with it that other players don't.

Saturday afternoon just gone at Old Trafford for instance - it was the place to be in all of Europe as a spectator or even player I would argue. Just where else is he going to go that offers that sort of atmosphere and excitement?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I have said that from day one but I believe that people see it as a negative or an excuse when it's just the reality of sport. Some players are developed to be part of the fundations of a team, they may not be flashy or enticing but their role is important, on the other end, you have players that make the difference between a good and a great team, the likes of Pogba, Di Maria or Ozil are in that category, in a well oiled team they elevate the ceiling of your team but they won't elevate the floor.
I guess it’s easily done because the price tag and reputation he has means it’s easy to expect him to be a player that will drag the team by the scruff of the neck, like a Robson or Keane or dare I say Gerrard type, he’s just never been that type of player though.

He’s guilty of needing cover from a defensive partner or partners and some didn't like the idea of affording him that, they perhaps expected him to be the glue to bring everything together from the get go.

I’d be over the moon to see him sign a new contract. I think he’s capable of even better things for us with the right player next to him and the new levels of quality we now have both in front and behind him.
I could not agree more with you both. Consider me a convert :lol:

northernfan

I think this reflects Pogba's true understanding of himself. He realises that he is not a leader on the field and requires others to fill that void. He's just a guy who wants to play ball and have fun. Ronaldo will take all that presure off him.

Swedish_Plumber

I think Pogba realises we actually might be in the brink of some stability and then success. He looks like he’s really enjoying his football and teammates.
Would be silly of him to risk leaving a team with serial winners like Ronaldo and Varane to go play for either of the two Spanish giants with how their finances look.
PSG are still a great option for him but who would seriously choose Messi and Paris over Cristiano and Manchester?! :nono:

Strange how people seem to seem Pogba has only existed at Man Utd for the last 6-8 months.

Hes been incredibly inconsistent for us.

For those arguing that I’m replacing Pogba with Phillips, yes I am. Ole and most of the Cafe prefer him on the left wing to central midfield, so yes replacing a makeshift winger with a proper midfielder is exactly what I’m doing.

Against the top 6 Pogba doesn’t make my 11, there can’t be many of you who disagree surely?

——————-Ronaldo——————
Rashford——Bruno——Sancho
———Mctominay-Fred—————

some of you will of course ignore his midfield weaknesses and prefer him in midfield because of his great performances from the left.

I prefer him on the left and think he’s quite good there but Rashford is better from that position.
Pogba is the best progressive passer from midfield in the league, easily the best we have had since Carrick (at least) and you want to replace him with a bog-standard pl midfielder - basically a worse version of Fred. Yeah, that's mental and it seriously weakens our team and its ability to get the ball to our attackers. Even if Pogba has not been outstanding every game over 6 years (which is what people seem to mean when they call Pogba unconsistent), replacing him with Kalvin Phillips is basically footballing hari-kiri.

Pogba is the only player we have who can actually retain possession in midfield (and who isn't Matic). Wanting to replace him with yet another moderately talented, high energy no8 who would never start for us anyway - you can't seriously think that.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So you are confusing your opinion with what the club may or may not believe is acceptable? And you also have no idea about what he asked for or what the club is willing to offer.
Yes I posted my opinion on a football forum. "It's just your opinion" is a terrible argument. Even sillier when it's combined with "You think you know better than Ole/the club"? The club deemed it acceptable to give Phil Jones his contract.

Ole found it perfectly acceptable that Shaw was in the penalty box in Istanbul and their striker was left unmarked on set pieces, or he'd have gotten up and yelled at players in the empty stadium. They're not infallible.

It's reported Pogba's earning ~290k/w and he turned down ~350k/w (De Gea's salary).

It is my opinion that he hasn't proven to be worth much more than that.

He'd absolutely be worth whatever he is asking to PSG, because they play against a low block every league game. Ditto Real Madrid, because they don't have Brilliantes and can actually play him in his best LCM role with 2 defensively sound midfielders in a league where there's less pressing.

To us he's a luxury player, because he has not shown he has enough output in that free LW role (2 goals 6 assists last season from there), he's poor at tracking back (which is how Leeds scored their goal this season), and he's incapable of playing in a midfield 2 behind Bruno against strong teams.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I love the cognitive dissonance required to remain steadfast in loathing Pogba whilst acting like everything good he does doesn’t exist whilst the moment he's perceived to have had a bad game, piping up with an "I told you so!" The mental gymnastics on display have you wondering if it's all an elaborate WUM.

A player who, as an equivalent, will cost the club 9 figures plus the exact wages Pogba wants, is an easy loss to assimilate, or better yet, replace with someone with a quarter of the talent.

I wonder if forums of other clubs are as bonkers as ours. Reckon you've got Madridistas stating they'd be fine replacing Benzema with Calvert-Lewin? Or Goretzka with Kalvin Phillips? What about Pedri with Ward-Prowse?

Spoony

The People's President
I love the cognitive dissonance required to remain steadfast in loathing Pogba whilst acting like everything good he does doesn’t exist whilst the moment he's perceived to have had a bad game, piping up with an "I told you so!" The mental gymnastics on display have you wondering if it's all an elaborate WUM.

A player who, as an equivalent, will cost the club 9 figures plus the exact wages Pogba wants, is an easy loss to assimilate, or better yet, replace with someone with a quarter of the talent.

I wonder if forums of other clubs are as bonkers as ours. Reckon you've got Madridistas stating they'd be fine replacing Benzema with Calvert-Lewin? Or Goretzka with Kalvin Phillips? What about Pedri with Ward-Prowse?
He's a fantastic player...I desperately want to see a quality no 6 in the team with him. We'd be frighteningly good.

Lappen

Why isn't this news just as much BS as the news in dec when he "is finished with the club" and the "offered to Liverpool" in june?

georgipep

This is where I depart from your reasoning.

The fact that Pogba is paid at a level appropriate to his talent is not a reason Andreas Pereira should be on 50k a week.

Salaries at United should not be self-referential. I doubt Rhian Brewster's compensation was comparable to Mo Salah's, that's probably why Liverpool found it easy to shift him. By comparison, because we overvalue and overpay, United end up hawking players around for years until they either give them away e.g., Rojo or virtually give them away e.g., Darmian.

Market value should dictate what players are paid at United. Were I FD at United, I would say to any player telling me they want a bigger contract cos Rashford's on big money: 'Okay show me your 21 goals last season then.' Do we really think the likes of Brandon Williams would not sign a new deal at United if they were offered less money than they are on? No chance. If any squad player at United is convinced they can get better terms elsewhere then, by all means, they should try and report back how it goes.

On the subject of Pogba, his market value is extremely high. Given not only his footballing talent but also his commercial value, given his popularity with particular target demographics for advertisers. I would not have any issue with him being paid very, very large amounts of money.

But its gotta be Zidanes and Pavons. It cannot be Pavons paid like Zidanes. That's just throwing good money after bad.
I know what you mean but "Zidanes and Pavones" means a completely different thing, not that Pavon is paid bread crums.

MattofManchester

Good news-ish, but I'm doubtful because I'm still dubious about where he plays.

On the left is purely temporary, and I'm not among the delusional who thinks some magical monster of a DM will allow us to have solidity in midfield.

lost7

Why isn't this news just as much BS as the news in dec when he "is finished with the club" and the "offered to Liverpool" in june?
The journalist reporting this is reputable, unlike 99% of the sources we've seen so far. It doesn't mean Pogba's gonna stay, but at least it's worth discussing unlike some of the drivel articles posted in here in the past

Terry Chango

If Paul does agree to sign a new contract this can only be seen as a positive.

I’m a fan of the lad and at times he can be frustrating as can all players but you either accept it or use it to beat him down as some fans do when things don’t go well on the pitch. At times the criticism is OTT but that’s because his standards are so high. Christ…Bruno, rashford & Maguire get slated at times despite being in good overall form and even scoring or assisting during a match and the CAF has members being negative for negatives sake

I also believe that if you do play him as part or a two man CM then no matter what type of player is next to him you’ll still get the occasional pattern of play from him that so many fans use to say he can’t play as part of the two man CM.

Even next to Kante for France where I personally thought he had a good game against the Swiss at the euro’s he got battered for giving away possession which led to a goal if my memory serves me right.

I think we all agree his ideal position is part of a 3 man midfield and who knows if we’ll see ole trial it this season therefore it’s either left of the front 3 which he’s good enough to make an impression against most teams but it also depends on how teams set up against us. This isn’t his natural position plus Marcus, Ronaldo, Sancho, martial and mason are all viable options.

Therefore we have to accept he’s probably going to get more game time as part of the two man CM. With ole letting the players express themselves and the fact Pogba enjoys creating and taking risks means we have to accept that on occasions he may turn over possession to the opposition but more often or not the lad will benefit the team far greater over the course of the season…hopefully

7 assists in 4 games tells its own story and if it means he occasionally gives the ball away then I can accept it from a player being brave and taking risks especially having played the game at a decent level till a few years back and seeing plenty of lads play it safe. Dan James talked about this affecting him during an interview recently. It’s not easy being a United player. Expectations are rightfully high and it takes balls to take risks knowing the likes of pundits, rival fans and so called club fans are lining up ready to pounce.

What I can’t accept is him disrespecting the club or Ole through his silence when his agent speaks and that’s my only concern with him. By all accounts Ole and his teammates seem to like him and no ones ever criticised him for being unprofessional or a difficult personality which sometimes caf posters and the media like to portray.

Apologies if I’ve waffled. I’m baked

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We've been busy improving the team as a whole, and all of a sudden he's got 7 assists in a mere 4 league games, after hitting 6 in all of last season!
The penny has finally dropped that he's a top quality support player, rather than the player who will elevate you.

He's probably also realised that the tiny handful of teams who can increase his salary are either not interested, or won't give him the status he has here.

RedDevilzFox

I think people will be surprised if and when he does leave that there is virtually no noticeable difference in our performances. Bookmark this post, if you must. He will be replaced rather easily.

Ole'sattheWheel

Hopefully this is true and Ronnie being around will make him sort his head out to become more focused in-games etc.
Think of the pull next few windows aswell, Pogba will surely wanna stay around to see who else we sign. Joining Madrid, PSG or barca will be pretty abysmal to 2-3 years ago when his fat agent started stirring it.
Maybe a bit rawkish but I think we're probably the best "project" right now (that Pogba is wanted at - city don't beed him, pool wouldn't touch him, same for bayern). Who else is there to spend his peak years at? If madrid get mbappe then i can maybe see that, but they are weak in DF, ageing casemiro and modric, asensio& isco are poor. Benzema getting on, Hazard has been woeful.
Don't get me started on barca

TsuWave

:lol: :lol: guy was playing ball with Pereira, Dan James, Mata, Rojo, Brandon Williams. My god. Now he has Ronaldo, Bruno, Sancho, Varane

the club needs to tell him we're also signing Tchouameni, so no more Fred. He'll sign on the spot

RetroStu

I think people will be surprised if and when he does leave that there is virtually no noticeable difference in our performances.
Well we are pretty shit in a lot of our matches unfortunately, but that doesnt mean Pogba is surpless to requirements. His passing and assist making has been vital to our goal scoring so far this season.

Shiva87

Ole's press conference for the Young Boys game was very interesting on this point.

He mentions that it's now up to the group to show that we can win things, when asked about Pogba signing an extension.

Clearly Paul wants to win leagues and the UCL - which honestly, United didn't give him a chance to do before this.

He had 2 seasons with Jose where he didn't understand what the manager was doing to United as a club and the way we are supposed to play.

Ole came.in and he carried us for 4 months before he ran out of steam. Was injured for 75% of the next season, and then 30% of Ole's third one. Was perhaps our best player after Bruno and Shaw last season. (It's been 8-9 months of very consistent performances).

Now is his last season on his original contract. He has the best chance of winning something since he came. So if United can do that, I don't see him going anywhere for the next few seasons.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
these people are nuts. I'm constantly thinking "what. the. feck" when reading these posts
The EPL is filled with fans like that. The same who calls Phillips the Yorkshire Pirlo. FFS even the real Pirlo took it as a bit of an insult.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hopefully this is true and Ronnie being around will make him sort his head out to become more focused in-games etc.
Think of the pull next few windows aswell, Pogba will surely wanna stay around to see who else we sign. Joining Madrid, PSG or barca will be pretty abysmal to 2-3 years ago when his fat agent started stirring it.
Maybe a bit rawkish but I think we're probably the best "project" right now (that Pogba is wanted at - city don't beed him, pool wouldn't touch him, same for bayern). Who else is there to spend his peak years at? If madrid get mbappe then i can maybe see that, but they are weak in DF, ageing casemiro and modric, asensio& isco are poor. Benzema getting on, Hazard has been woeful.
Don't get me started on barca
Agreed with this, the only possible destination away from United next summer is Real and PSG. I’d say moving to PSG and is step down as he is moving from best league to 6th league during prime of his career. Moving to Real will be similar to playing for us (assume they will sign Mbappe next summer), but I just feel we are more ready in our rebuild process than Real, as they have just lost their main CB pairs this summer, and they will have to rebuild again soon with aging/departing of few more of their key players ie Modric, Bale etc. While we are only one DM away from truly elite team.