g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

arthurka

Juventus are buying someone, Barca are bankrupt and Real are in shambles. Bayern wouldn't touch him with a ten foot stick. So us or PSG.

Yakuza_devils

Pogba is already on very high salary and he doesn't deserve to have significant pay rise based on his performance. He is demanding to be paid as one of the best paid players in the world which any sane club would not give in to his crazy demands. We also have had enough of Pogba's mother, brothers and Raiola coming out every other week to say something negative about Man Utd.

I think we should sell Pogba this summer but the problem is no one seems to be willing to meet his demands. Keeping him and Raiola will costs a lot of money to the club for the next 5 years. Even if we were to give him a new contract, after 1 or 2 years, he will again threaten to leave week in week out to get more money. I think its not worth the trouble to keep Pogba and Raiola. There will be far more negatives than positives.

I think its very clear that Pogba and Raiola have been planning to run down the contract to get significant payrise and sign on bonus next year. They are both cnuts of the highest order. Levy is a saint compared to these cnuts.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Going or staying is fine by me. Before the window shuts he needs to sign-on or leave for whatever we can flog him for. If he leaves for free he would have really made a mug out of us and for me it's the worst case scenario.
I don’t think it is the worst. There’s few scenarios where losing him makes us a better squad in the near term, and I want to win something next year.

The worst case scenario for me is signing him to a gigantic contract that acts as a millstone around our necks budget-wise for someone that doesn’t have a natural fit into our team as a central midfielder.

He'sRaldo

Truth is he's just not been for sale, similar to Mbappe.

Lucky for us we're one of the clubs that can keep our stars if we want, even to the end of their contract. That's what we've done with Pogba, we're probably banking on getting him to re-sign.

bosskeano

I think if anyone is a bit fuked it's United as the number of clubs that can afford to purchase him right now is probably one, PSG. Juve would have to push swap deals as their focus seems to be on Locatelli. Barca and Madrid don't have a pot to piss in right now.

If PSG want him, they can lowball offer us or just wait until December. They'll give the fat bastard agent his 25m fee and Pogba will get his big wages.

Personally, i don't want to see him wearing the red again if he is planning on leaving for free next summer. They should stick him in the reserves and let him rot.

Judas

Open to offers

Lucky for us we're one of the clubs that can keep our stars if we want, even to the end of their contract. That's what we've done with Pogba, we're probably banking on getting him to re-sign.
Don't believe this for a second. I think if we'd got a good offer this summer, or great ones in the previous summers he'd have been sold. No ones come even close to matching the price we've rightfully put on him, because seemingly no one actually think he's worth the money it would take to get him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Pogba is already on very high salary and he doesn't deserve to have significant pay rise based on his performance. He is demanding to be paid as one of the best paid players in the world which any sane club would not give in to his crazy demands. We also have had enough of Pogba's mother, brothers and Raiola coming out every other week to say something negative about Man Utd.

I think we should sell Pogba this summer but the problem is no one seems to be willing to meet his demands. Keeping him and Raiola will costs a lot of money to the club for the next 5 years. Even if we were to give him a new contract, after 1 or 2 years, he will again threaten to leave week in week out to get more money. I think its not worth the trouble to keep Pogba and Raiola. There will be far more negatives than positives.

I think its very clear that Pogba and Raiola have been planning to run down the contract to get significant payrise and sign on bonus next year. They are both cnuts of the highest order. Levy is a saint compared to these cnuts.
What's wrong with Pogba run down the contract? He signed a contract back then to provide his service for a number of year, and he is planning to fulfill it. He has no obligation to renew his contract. He is not a slave. Man Utd paid the "transfer fee" back then was to terminate his existing contract with Juventus. It is the cost Man Utd paid to get Pogba's service before his contract finished with Juventus. If Man Utd and Pogba can't agree a contract extension then so be it. Pogba is within his right to "run down" his contract to get significant pay rise and sign on bonus else where. He is just an employee to the club, and he is not a cattle you can sell him against his will before his contract expire so that the club can receive a transfer fee either. Players running down their contract is more common now, and football clubs need to get use to it. I remember Flamini is the first player i remember always, always run down his contract, and I have no problem with it.

PSG learned the game and is signing players for free now. They may lose Mbappe for free to Real Madrid next summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He'd boss it at Bayern especially under the tactically adept Nagelsmann.
Nagelsmann demands high press intensively on his players. Big question mark there if you think he'd boss it as we know his work rate is lacking. Muller, Goretzka and Kimmich are perfect for his demand as they have crazy work rate, stamina and smart in pressing opponent not Pogba.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Just going around making stuff up and being bullish about it. Why?

Does anyone really have a clue what’s going on at the moment?

Infestissumam

You both seriously overrate Pogba and underrate their midfield. Pogba can't follow instructions so how could he possible boss anything when he gets bored when told to sit back? He wouldn't even make the first 11.
yeah, this. Kimmich/Goretzka is a stupidly good and balanced midfield.

it's pretty funny how some seem to overrate Pogba solely based on the abilities he theoretically possesses. You'd think 5 years of him at United would have opened some eyes, but no.

crossy1686

career ending
yeah, this. Kimmich/Goretzka is a stupidly good and balanced midfield.

it's pretty funny how some seem to overrate Pogba solely based on the abilities he theoretically possesses. You'd think 5 years of him at United would have opened some eyes, but no.
Yeah it's a bit weird really. I have nothing against Pogba, and I'm sure anyone saying that they're happy for him to leave doesn't hate him, in fact I'm sure everyone wants him to succeed at United but there's a bit of a fawning over his potential or talent that goes on here. The reality is he only displays anything near good enough by his standards about 8 games a season. No where near the levels of consistency from the two you mentioned, not even the same bracket.

SAFMUTD

It unsettles me that there's no talk about him signing a new contract or us pushing for it. We should put preassure on him sign or leave, why keep waiting? we are only putting ourselves in a weaker position as weeks goes by.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s holding out to see what we do in the summer transfer wise. Are we serious about competing or not?
I think there could be some truth in this.

He wants to win trophies and United need to prove to him that they are serious about trying to win them.

It may not be the main reason he decides to stay or go, but I think it will certainly have some impact on his final decision.

Damon1559

I’ve wanted him out since the day he dyed his hair blue for the Citeh derby game.

Pogba out. Grealish in would be the dream
How did you feel after the City game? It was possibly his best ever performance for United. The dyed hair for the Derby is also a myth. It was dyed days before when he was with France but don't let that ruin your narrative..

Gandalf

It unsettles me that there's no talk about him signing a new contract or us pushing for it. We should put preassure on him sign or leave, why keep waiting? we are only putting ourselves in a weaker position as weeks goes by.
He is on holiday, due back next week. There has actually been a fair bit of talk about the club getting together with him and Mino during pre-season to try and figure things out. I assume we will see if he is interested and if the terms fit our budget and if not then we will give the green light to Mino to shop him now. If Paul and Mino ultimately choose to wait and move on a free next year then so be it, it is something he is entitled to do and it does come with a small degree of risk for the player if he gets a bad injury before signing.

crossy1686

career ending
IMO us saying that we've offered him a new contract was the pressure to sign, he's probably had it since the end of last season. Him and his agent are going to have to field questions about the contract situation the second they get off holiday now. I don't think we release that statement if we think he's going to sign

seegoblu

Would be great if Barca would be willing repeat last summer’s balance sheet engineering swap fiasco with Juve, but this time swapping Pogba and deJong along with us sending along a large bucket full of cash. They would get to report a big gain from the transfer along with hard cash (£60m?)

let a muppet dream.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s holding out to see what we do in the summer transfer wise. Are we serious about competing or not?
The problem with that approach is that he might find he's one that needs shipping from the lineup for us to compete!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Going or staying is fine by me. Before the window shuts he needs to sign-on or leave for whatever we can flog him for. If he leaves for free he would have really made a mug out of us and for me it's the worst case scenario.
We would have got 6 years out of him though, which is a good return.

You have to look at that money as being gone now, and consider what it would cost to continue having him here long term. Is that worth it?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he stays and gets the rumoured bump up to 420k a week then it just proves this club has learned absolutely nothing from prior mistakes.

Barcelona are the winners in the how not to run a football club competition over the last 5 years. Let's not join them. Bruno will want parity before we know it and all the other players will want more too.

Pogba, for all the ability he may be blessed with, simply hasn't done enough on the pitch to be our top earner. That's his fault. He's had world class moments but not enough of them to warrant that type of money.

Eyebrows were rightly raised when we gave DDG that contract but in his defence he had been voted club player of the year 4 times in the previous 5 seasons before signing it or something daft like that. So it one sense you can say he sort of deserved his contact even if I think it's too much to pay a GK.

Flying high

If he stays and gets the rumoured bump up to 420k a week then it just proves this club has learned absolutely nothing from prior mistakes.

Barcelona are the winners in the how not to run a football club competition over the last 5 years. Let's not join them. Bruno will want parity before we know it and all the other players will want more too.

Pogba, for all the ability he may be blessed with, simply hasn't done enough on the pitch to be our top earner. That's his fault. He's had world class moments but not enough of them to warrant that type of money.

Eyebrows were rightly raised when we gave DDG that contract but in his defence he had been voted club player of the year 4 times in the previous 5 seasons before signing it or something daft like that. So it one sense you can say he sort of deserved his contact even if I think it's too much to pay a GK.
We just need to surround him with the same midfield 5 he has a France.

_______ Kante
Kante Pogba Kante
_______Kante

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What's wrong with Pogba run down the contract? He signed a contract back then to provide his service for a number of year, and he is planning to fulfill it. He has no obligation to renew his contract. He is not a slave. Man Utd paid the "transfer fee" back then was to terminate his existing contract with Juventus. It is the cost Man Utd paid to get Pogba's service before his contract finished with Juventus. If Man Utd and Pogba can't agree a contract extension then so be it. Pogba is within his right to "run down" his contract to get significant pay rise and sign on bonus else where. He is just an employee to the club, and he is not a cattle you can sell him against his will before his contract expire so that the club can receive a transfer fee either. Players running down their contract is more common now, and football clubs need to get use to it. I remember Flamini is the first player i remember always, always run down his contract, and I have no problem with it.

PSG learned the game and is signing players for free now. They may lose Mbappe for free to Real Madrid next summer.
Well the only thing is he most likely refused all our offers so far. It's hard to imagine we didn't try to get his signature on an extension a year ago already (when he was far more important player for us than he is now).
Which suggests he is just greedy (fair enough, most people are) and doesn't really care about the club. Whether than is a problem is an individual matter, I don't take that personally but I also wouldn't blink if we sold Pogba today.

red4ever 79

Ole hasnt signed a new deal either. Maybe that will counter the balance the uneasiness from Pogba

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is on holiday, due back next week. There has actually been a fair bit of talk about the club getting together with him and Mino during pre-season to try and figure things out. I assume we will see if he is interested and if the terms fit our budget and if not then we will give the green light to Mino to shop him now. If Paul and Mino ultimately choose to wait and move on a free next year then so be it, it is something he is entitled to do and it does come with a small degree of risk for the player if he gets a bad injury before signing.
The risk is not small in reality. A career ending injury can happen to any player. For a club like Man Utd with 800m reveune in 2019 pre-pandemic, the cost of 89M over 6 years of service is nothing , it is 15m per season. A drop in the ocean for Man Utd. I doubt anyone in MU's board lose sleep over Pogba's renewal.

Last edited:

PieCrust

If we move to the rumored 433, Pogba could work. But he's just the ultimate luxury player and cannot function without the right set up. Question is, is that setup best for the team? Maybe, maybe not. I'd prefer to sell him and I feel the team would be stronger for it overall by signing a CM / DM that better fits Ole's tactics. I'm also fine with him not renewing (would be a huge mistake to saddle ourselves with another over paid player) and letting him go for free next season.

United in sin

Nagelsmann demands high press intensively on his players. Big question mark there if you think he'd boss it as we know his work rate is lacking. Muller, Goretzka and Kimmich are perfect for his demand as they have crazy work rate, stamina and smart in pressing opponent not Pogba.

You both seriously overrate Pogba and underrate their midfield. Pogba can't follow instructions so how could he possible boss anything when he gets bored when told to sit back? He wouldn't even make the first 11.
Can't follow instructions? Wasn't he France's most disciplined midfielder when they won the world cup in 2018?

He's shown he's tactically fluid and adaptable at the just ended Euros and for France and United in general, trusted to play different positions effectively.

I don't think he'd have problems slotting into a brilliant Bayern midfield just like he did for Juventus, does for France.

Allegri brought the best out of him and Nagelsmann probably could as well given he's aforementioned tactical nous

crossy1686

career ending
Can't follow instructions? Wasn't he France's most disciplined midfielder when they won the world cup in 2018?

He's shown he's tactically fluid and adaptable at the just ended Euros and for France and United in general, trusted to play different positions effectively.

I don't think he'd have problems slotting into a brilliant Bayern midfield just like he did for Juventus, does for France.

Allegri brought the best out of him and Nagelsmann probably could as well given he's aforementioned tactical nous
This was after his French teammates sat him down and told him he had to take one for the team and be more disciplined. No more roaming around like a nomad in midfield and leaving the defence to eat shit.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This was after his French teammates sat him down and told him he had to take one for the team and be more disciplined. No more roaming around like a nomad in midfield and leaving the defence to eat shit.
So what you’re saying is he followed instructions

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Just read a piece in The Athletic by Ornstein where he said he reckons Pogba is not at all interested in a move to PSG.

chris123

Just read a piece in The Athletic by Ornstein where he said he reckons Pogba is not at all interested in a move to PSG.
Yeah this definitely jumped out to me, I don't think this has been reported anywhere else? Basically, Ornstein saying a move to PSG doesn't interest him and contract negotiations will continue into the new season. He compares it to the De Gea contract situation from a few years ago which I think makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Cheimoon

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

For France that was a handful of games in a unique tournament environment. Very different to staying disciplined over the course of a season, which he’s never shown himself able to do. A hugely talented player who lacks maturity in his game. He’s a liability as much as he’s an asset.

We wouldn’t displace Bayern’s current midfielders and I would take them in a direct swap for him in a heartbeat. As would virtually every other United fan. At Juve he played in an ultra dominant team, in a weak league, where he had two world class midfielders covering for him. He’s been here for 5 years and we are still having the same discussion and he is still doing the sublime with ease but the careless with regularity.

He’s a luxury player and you’d have to be mental to rely on him at the heart of your midfield for anything other than a few games. He’s just not consistent, reliable or mature enough.

For me, his best position always should have been as a 10, combining his technical ability with great physicality. A position where his poor work ethic, tactical discipline, and propensity for over elaboration aren’t exposed. But we have Bruno there now, who is twice the player he is in terms of his impact on the team.

If Pogba stays, he’s a good player to have in the squad, but I don’t see him as a guaranteed starter as he doesn’t fit our system. He’s especially useful against low block teams. But if he leaves, and we can reinvest his fee and wages, then I’ll be happy with that too. I can really appreciate his technical excellence, but he’s just not a player to rely on.

Last edited:

theklr

Dont mind if he goes or not, I do mind him going on a free though...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone think his moral compass may kick in and tell him he can't leave the club on a free twice?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Anyone think his moral compass may kick in and tell him he can't leave the club on a free twice?
The magnet is blocked by Raiola's fat arse so the compass is always pointing at the greedy, chair throwing, Scholes hating, gossiping bastard.