Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Mainoldo

On talent, probably not. But I don’t think it’s difficult to name 5 midfielders in the league that would be better for our team than him.
Name them. Basically name 5 to replace him.

JB7

That’s not what you said, you said you can’t name 5 midfielders in the league better than him which I said may well be true in terms of talent.

In terms of 5 midfielders in the league that would be better for our team; Kante, De Bruyne, Ndidi, Fabinho, Gundogan.

Scholsey2004

Did you see him against Wolves and his last season at Ajax?
One game. You could make a case for Tom Cleverley in his games against Arsenal just as easily that way. The statistics show he made a lot less passes than others. His passing statistics were very like Scott McTominays except of course he was playing at a much lower level. We got taken to the cleaners over van de Beek.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he really turned that down, we need to sell him and recoup something.

If he wants to leave when we're likely about to challenge, then let him leave.

We need to get 2 midfielders in.

Scholsey2004

One of the tabloids is running with a story that Pogba and Riola have rejected a £350,000 a week contract offer and they are determined to join PSG this summer.
Good. That we're still throwing around wages like that for a player who cant consistently get in the team shows we're still run by clowns.

Matthew84!

I don't think anyone should be believing that tripe, its yet another ploy by his agent to try to get more money, PSG now will think they have to offer more and it'll go back to UTD to offer more.

Scholsey2004

What, from any team? Easy. Pick any of a few names from City, Liverpool and Chelsea and plenty from other sides as well. Hes nowhere near one of the top midfielders in the league. McTominay starts ahead of him on a regular basis.

rotherham_red

Pogba goes for 50m and Lingard goes for 30m, we get Rice (65m) and Camavinga (35m). That's what we should do, IMO.

Mainoldo

That’s not what you said, you said you can’t name 5 midfielders in the league better than him which I said may well be true in terms of talent.

In terms of 5 midfielders in the league that would be better for our team; Kante, De Bruyne, Ndidi, Fabinho, Gundogan.
Well there you go. I only changed it because you said you couldn’t answer it. Using that famous talent word.

Kante isn’t better than Pogba and we seen that in the Euros. Only De Bruyne.

Mainoldo

What, from any team? Easy. Pick any of a few names from City, Liverpool and Chelsea and plenty from other sides as well. Hes nowhere near one of the top midfielders in the league. McTominay starts ahead of him on a regular basis.
Okay. You know your stuff.

bosskeano

Well there you go. I only changed it because you said you couldn’t answer it. Using that famous talent word.

Come on now. No way you can say Pogba is better than Kante and was better than him in the euros.
The 5 named would be better for United. As would Fernandinho, Grealish and Tielemans.

sp_107

If you are a kid and an experienced manager like SAF tells you "have patience", the wise thing to do is to listen to him. If you don't listen to him and you go away, this is a clear indication of future problems. This was such a huge red flag, I still cannot understand why the club paid so much to bring him back. Blunder number one.

If you own an expensive player, you simply don't let him run into his last year of contract. You either sell him or extend long before that. Blunder number two.

Now we got ourselves in such a situation where the player holds all the cards. We can't blame him, it is gross mismanagement on our part. But it is certainly not a surprise that we constantly run into problems with this player, it was evident long time ago.
Well Said, Under Ed our main motive was earning lot from sonsership deals and Pogba is 4th most marketabl;e player in the world, so no wonder we are tolerating so much in his case

JB7

You changed it because your original post was nonsense.

Regards Kante or Pogba, I reckon if you did a survey of fans of the 18 PL clubs they don’t play for as to which player they’d rather have I’d be amazed if Pogba won 5 votes. He may not technically be a better player but having Kante in our team would improve us a hell of a lot more than Pogba does - same goes for every player I mentioned.

ghagua

Who offers more to their team? When Pogba was missing from the team, we actually missed nothing. In the 5 years, he has been with the club, he never had a season where he was performing like a top talent on a consistent basis. There are many players who offer much more to their team

Bondi77

I wonder how Pogba and Jabba The Hutt feel towards Real Madrid now?
I think we will definitely get Varane but I also think that the club know if Pogba wants to extend with us or not and if not the question would have to been asked regarding a swap deal. If we end up getting Varane for 40-50mil and Pogba does not extend then that tells me Real were not interested and it really is a slap in the face for the duo.

Will Singh

Once again we’ve been done over by a player running down he’s contract and holding the club to ransom. How hard can it be to offer new deal at 3 years left and if rejected start looking for a replacement and buy at year 2 and sell the player who wants to feck us about. Now he’s just gonna ask for a stupid amount and if he gets it he wins, if he don’t then some club gets him cheap and gives him what he wants and he wins. He ain’t done feck all at United apart from show glimpse of world class but then so has Greenwood!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Once again we’ve been done over by a player running down he’s contract and holding the club to ransom. How hard can it be to offer new deal at 3 years left and if rejected start looking for a replacement and buy at year 2 and sell the player who wants to feck us about. Now he’s just gonna ask for a stupid amount and if he gets it he wins, if he don’t then some club gets him cheap and gives him what he wants and he wins. He ain’t done feck all at United apart from show glimpse of world class but then so has Greenwood!
Pogba's been available for buyers for at least 2 summers now if not 3. He hasn't done nearly enough at United to warrant the transfer fee we wanted or the wages he wanted. You do realise it's not a simple as you've made it sound don't you?

Will Singh

Pogba's been available for buyers for at least 2 summers now if not 3. He hasn't done nearly enough at United to warrant the transfer fee we wanted or the wages he wanted. You do realise it's not a simple as you've made it sound don't you?
Our wage structure is a massive cause of all this. We’ve gave in far to many times and now paying the price. I think we should have let him gone and counted our losses as he’s been nothing but trouble and with he’s agent being a prat!

charlenefan

Our wage structure is a massive cause of all this. We’ve gave in far to many times and now paying the price. I think we should have let him gone and counted our losses as he’s been nothing but trouble and with he’s agent being a prat!
You're wrong again, Pogba by recent reports is currently on 250k a week, those aren't wages that potential suitors of Pogba couldn't match, the issue is the bump he wants, that's something quite obviously out of the clubs hands . Now if we were talking about De Gea or Sanchez then you'd have a point but not with Pogba

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Jorginho too.

charlenefan

The less said the better.
What the feck is that supposed to mean?

Its an absolute stone cold hard fact that our results have been better since Bruno arrived and he's had the consistent impact that many thought Pogba would have had for the 4 years prior

In 5 seasons Pogba has 38 goals for the club
In 1 and a half seasons Bruno has 40

Im sure someone who knows how to get the all comps stats can elaborate on this but in 1 and a half PL seasons Bruno has 19 assists, Pogba's only got 29 in 5

Pogba whether it's because he's been poorly coached or simply isn't clever enough cant dictate play from deep because he's never the one picking it up off of the CB's because he's too busy stood in space behind in the opposition attack and in front of their midfield and for the same reason can't play as a 10 because he doesn't know how to find the space behind the opposition midfield and in front of their defence. That equates to him being a massive luxury player

On his day Pogba's capable of the sublime and that's why it'll be tough to see him leave but the odd long range match winning goal against a West Ham/Burnley or Fulham really overshadow the much larger pool of games where he struggles to make an impact. Because of his capabilities of the sublime my heart says I want to see him for one more year this time with hopefully Varane behind him and Sancho ahead of him but my head tells me that actually won't make the difference I think it could

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some people are in delusional about losing Pogba because what you only see how top player he is. However, it's not about how many top players we can put into XI but it's about how to fit them into XI and create the balance to win the match. You don't just win the match with 11 top players, balance is required.

Pogba's best role has always been advanced role or a role where he will get freedom to do his magic. To give him that freedom role, you always see 2 midfielders behind him. In Juve, he had Pirlo and Vidal behind him. In France he had Kante, Rabbiot/Matuidi behind him. While in United before Bruno came when he was doing his best season in 18/19, he had Matic and Herrera behind him. We are not going to get the best out of such a talented player by just playing him with one DM and clearly given that we have Bruno, Rashford, and Sancho playing in the advanced role and needs freedom means there is no room for us to give that freedom to Pogba to maintain the balance. The only way to play him with one DM is when we play against lesser teams who sits deep like Burnley for example and we don't play against them week in week out.

I would pick Pogba over Rashford to play on the left but given that Pogba is much older and only has one year left in his contract and we probably need 400k or 500k p/w to make him stay then the realistic option is to move on from Pogba. He has no place to play behind our front four. He's more suitable in PSG because they will play against lot of teams that sit deep & PSG have two players that identical to the ones Juve had Wijnaldum (Vidal) & Verratti (Pirlo).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I didnt really follow him but I remember him coming back to the team at some point last season and the only way for him to join was to break the most balanced midfield we had in Bruno Fred and Scott. What I'm saying is while he has his talents, he's no longer as important for us as he was before. Definitely not as important as Maguire, Shaw, Bruno to the team - the players, who get paid less than Pogba that actually want to be here. I agree with the previous posters who said that it's not about how good the individual is but his impact and importance to the team. That's the rule we should go by. So if he wants to move then it's better to let him go. 50m would do it than him leaving on a free next year.

SAFMUTD

At this point I think the wisest option is to take the 50M and let him go, if reports are true we have offered him 350k a week and he didnt accept. Anything above that I think its too much. Also the fact that we havent been able to build a team around him for 5 seasons is concerning and now the team is build around Bruno.

The United

What the feck is that supposed to mean?

Its an absolute stone cold hard fact that our results have been better since Bruno arrived and he's had the consistent impact that many thought Pogba would have had for the 4 years prior

In 5 seasons Pogba has 38 goals for the club
In 1 and a half seasons Bruno has 40

Im sure someone who knows how to get the all comps stats can elaborate on this but in 1 and a half PL seasons Bruno has 19 assists, Pogba's only got 29 in 5

Pogba whether it's because he's been poorly coached or simply isn't clever enough cant dictate play from deep because he's never the one picking it up off of the CB's because he's too busy stood in space behind in the opposition attack and in front of their midfield and for the same reason can't play as a 10 because he doesn't know how to find the space behind the opposition midfield and in front of their defence. That equates to him being a massive luxury player

On his day Pogba's capable of the sublime and that's why it'll be tough to see him leave but the odd long range match winning goal against a West Ham/Burnley or Fulham really overshadow the much larger pool of games where he struggles to make an impact. Because of his capabilities of the sublime my heart says I want to see him for one more year this time with hopefully Varane behind him and Sancho ahead of him but my head tells me that actually won't make the difference I think it could
You are taking that guy too seriously. :wenger:

Teja

Why do PSG even want him anyway? Seems like they're stacked with so many CMs / #8 types. I assume they signed Wijnaldum to play the same role Pogba would play.

Verratti, Draxler, Paredes, Gueye, Danilo, Herrera, Wijnaldum, Pogba now. Marquinhos too if you count him as a DM.

If I were Poch I'd play this in the big games:

---------------------------- Donnarumma --------------------------
------------ Ramos -- Marquinhos -- Kimpembe ---------
--- Hakimi ------------------------------------------- Kurzawa ---
----------------------- Veratti --- Danilo ----------------------------
------ AdM ------------------------------------------ Neymar -------
---------------------------- Mbappe ------------------------------------

with Marquinhos stepping into the midfield as needed. There's no place for either Pogba or Wijnaldum in that line up. Veratti has to play and he needs legs next to him or the midfield gets overrun. You can't have a player like Pogba warm the bench in your most important games, so it's not clear where they're going with this.

Other choice seems suboptimal. Hakimi is best as WB. Both Ramos and Marquinhos like the RCB position. They can possibly pull it off against the weaker sides.

----------------------------- Donnarumma --------------------------
------- Hakimi -- Ramos --- Marquinhos -- Diallo ------
------------------------------- Danilo ------------------------------------
----------------------- Veratti --- Pogba ----------------------------

gza the genius

I'd rather he stayed but realistically we needed a new midfielder either way because he doesn't really play/work there for us. He spent the end of last season playing some weird hybrid left wing role. We brought Sancho in and we won't have to shoehorn Rashford to the right side if Pogba goes. It's always better to have more quality in the squad but with Sancho coming in he's essentially already been replaced - now we just need a midfielder, which we needed anyway.

Cman

Jeez I don’t think there’s another player who divides the fanbase as much. I don’t see the big fuss really. If reports are true that he has rejected £350k a week and is out of here on a free next summer then it’s a no brainer. The club must sell him now for as much as possible.
On his day he is world class and it’s not easy to bring world class players in. But we didn’t seem to have a proper role for him since Bruno came in and his performances over the 4 years have been very up and down.
PSG will prob suit him very well and I’ve no doubt he will be a star there.I’m also confident we will be fine without him( depending on who we sign in midfield).
So long and all the best. I won’t lose any sleep over him leaving.

marktan

Why do PSG even want him anyway? Seems like they're stacked with so many CMs / #8 types. I assume they signed Wijnaldum to play the same role Pogba would play.

Verratti, Draxler, Paredes, Gueye, Danilo, Herrera, Wijnaldum, Pogba now. Marquinhos too if you count him as a DM.

If I were Poch I'd play this in the big games:

---------------------------- Donnarumma --------------------------
------------ Ramos -- Marquinhos -- Kimpembe ---------
--- Hakimi ------------------------------------------- Kurzawa ---
----------------------- Veratti --- Danilo ----------------------------

with Marquinhos stepping into the midfield as needed. There's no place for either Pogba or Wijnaldum in that line up. Veratti has to play and he needs legs next to him or the midfield gets overrun. You can't have a player like Pogba warm the bench in your most important games, so it's not clear where they're going with this.

Other choice seems suboptimal. Hakimi is best as WB. Both Ramos and Marquinhos like the RCB position. They can possibly pull it off against the weaker sides.

----------------------------- Donnarumma --------------------------
------- Hakimi -- Ramos --- Marquinhos -- Diallo ------
------------------------------- Danilo ------------------------------------
----------------------- Veratti --- Pogba ----------------------------
If they play 3 at the back then he's not needed which is what I presumed Poch was going for with Hakimi.

But if theyre trying to play 4-3-3 then they definitely do need some creativity in the centre, against City in the CL semis they were severely outclassed in midfield and had Neymar dropping deep to try and dribble the whole City team.

Pogba as we know can be inconsistent but with him in there you can push the PSG attackers further forward as you know he can pick them out with pin point passes.

I think he'd be a good big game option for them, he always does well for us against the likes of City when there's lots of space. Signing Wjnaldum does give them a bit of a selection headache, but I think against the big teams only one of him or Verrati would play alongside Pogba and a DM as they're both a pretty similar calibre of player. If you're looking for graft play them both, if you want attacking prowess play one and Pogba. Either way gives them a lot more options than the likes of Herrera and Parades etc who youd think they'd want to offload.

kidbob

If he leaves for 50-60m then we need to be ambitious and show some intent. I'd want us to get Saul, Neves and Camavinga and completely overhaul our midfield or else get two of them and go for Grealish. It really feels like this is the window that if we go all out we can back into a position for challenging.