Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Mainoldo

Pogba is lazy. He gives away cheap pens and free kicks. He can't mark a player. He loses concentration all the time.

No player is perfect.

Neves isn't someone I'm that bothered Bout signing but I don't see how we can possibly keep Pogba. If we give that guy 400k a week and his agent a big fat cheque too we need our heads checking.

Get rid. He can't do it in the PL. He hasn't got it in him.
He can’t do it in the Prem? But you can’t name 5 CM’s in this league better than him.

I don’t care if he stay or goes or what he gets. Not my money.

I’m concerned about how we replace him. We still don’t seem to see the glaring wholes in our midfield. We are looking to replace him with sh*ter versions of himself.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Well if we are going to do that let’s get a best in class like a Tielemans. Neves can’t even get a game for his country. Bruno got dropped and they went for 34 years old Moutinho.

I don’t think we need another rotation player either. Hojbjerb would also be a better option. Just don’t see Nuno letting him go.
Neither do I see Rodgers letting Tielemans go.

Obviously we’re not even sure how credible these Neves reports are but if we do sign him it will definitely be because it’s a risk worth taking at his quoted price.

There was a time when Tielemans wasn’t getting into the Belgium starting 11 either. He was on the fringes how Neves is. And even he was bought at a similar price by Leicester if I’m not wrong and there wasn’t much competition for him either.

So you never know my friend. Neves may turn out to be a good investment if he fits in well. I think his general play dropped a couple levels in correlation with Wolves’ perform levels this past season or so. In a more progressive team like ours, he may perform better.

UnitedFan93

The club should not be surprised by how this is playing out. This is exactly how Mino Riola makes his money time and time again.

Player X runs down his contract with his club. Mino Riola has two options to play. Option A, blackmail the players' current club into giving a new obscene contract by threatening to leave for free, and/or Option B, offer the player to another club for a bargain amount due to current contract length, and in turn pick up enormous agent fees for delivering the bargain.

United were/are stupid doing business with Riola. Hopefully it stops moving forward.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Perhaps. Perhaps not. In theory we'd want the DM to be providing most of that, while Fred plays more the Kante/Gattuso style of harrier and destroyer. We may still be able to improve on him further in 12 months time, but in the meantime we 'should' have a better midfield than the McFred combo that mostly got us to 2nd last season or any of the inconsistent midfields we've had with Pogba.

Of course it relies on signing the right player.
Exactly this. Fred for sure isn't top tier, but we won't change a whole team overnight. If the rumors are true, and we can get Sancho, Varane and DM, it already is a brilliant summer. If Pogba is the required sacrifice then so be it.

dinostar77

One of the tabloids is running with a story that Pogba and Riola have rejected a £350,000 a week contract offer and they are determined to join PSG this summer.

Lemansky

I am a bit sad if this is the ending for Paul. He is a superb player, and I like the guy. That being said his performances for us have been poor over time and he don’t fit our system now.

If he transfers to PSG it will not be good for his reputation. A player that could not cut it in the PL hiding in a minor league. We should sell, get rid and reinvest. The team we have now is majorly exciting with or without our man Paul.

Mainoldo

Neither do I see Rodgers letting Tielemans go.

Obviously we’re not even sure how credible these Neves reports are but if we do sign him it will definitely be because it’s a risk worth taking at his quoted price.

There was a time when Tielemans wasn’t getting into the Belgium starting 11 either. He was on the fringes how Neves is. And even he was bought at a similar price by Leicester if I’m not wrong and there wasn’t much competition for him either.

So you never know my friend. Neves may turn out to be a good investment if he fits in well. I think his general play dropped a couple levels in correlation with Wolves’ perform levels this past season or so. In a more progressive team like ours, he may perform better.
Well either way we shall see. I hope he moves. I just hope it’s Arsenal and not us (Just my personal view) But will be interesting to watch.

Tielemans failed at Monaco but he was very young. He’s been continuing to improve ever since but he did have a very poor Euros.

Cantonaaa!

Always sad to lose a quality player but we’ll manage.
He does lack concentration over the course of a long season, yet he is certainly capable of delivering semi-concistent magic.

Perfect cup player I would say.

Someone more gritty and grindy might suit our quest for the league title even more imo.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Well either way we shall see. I hope he moves. I just hope it’s Arsenal and not us (Just my personal view) But will be interesting to watch.

Tielemans failed at Monaco but he was very young. He’s been continuing to improve ever since but he did have a very poor Euros.
Yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not his biggest fan or saying we choose him over others but at his price he may only be the type of player we can afford this summer. In this particular scenario I’m all for it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He can’t do it in the Prem? But you can’t name 5 CM’s in this league better than him.

I don’t care if he stay or goes or what he gets. Not my money.

I’m concerned about how we replace him. We still don’t seem to see the glaring wholes in our midfield. We are looking to replace him with sh*ter versions of himself.
The problem you have though is you can't differentiate between the player he should be and the player he actually is for us. On paper he's one of the best players in the world. On the pitch he rarely is. How can a player with his ability not have even been named Utd player of the season once in 5 years?

You talk about him being this incredible player who we will struggle to replace. I don't see it that way at all.

Scott Mctomminay outscored him last season ffs despite Pogba playing a fair bit off the left.

Pogba hasn't done it consistently in a Utd shirt and you find it incredibly hard to admit it.

Mainoldo

The problem you have though is you can't differentiate between the player he should be and the player he actually is for us. On paper he's one of the best players in the world. On the pitch he rarely is. How can a player with his ability not have even been named Utd player of the season once in 5 years?

You talk about him being this incredible player who we will struggle to replace. I don't see it that way at all.

Scott Mctomminay outscored him last season ffs despite Pogba playing a fair bit off the left.

Pogba hasn't done it consistently in a Utd shirt and you find it incredibly hard to admit it.
But what you say isn’t true is it. It’s just a running annoying narrative. I mean McTominay didn’t even outscore him. But I get the running theme. I just tend not to agree.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
His **** will be bumping the Ligue 1 thread regularly as he destroys the likes of Strasbourg and Clermont and expect everyone to be impressed.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
IMO he does all these brilliant moments for us too.

People just notice it more with France than with us.

And similarly, they notice his problems off the ball with United while tend to ignore it when it happens to France.

Pogba is the same player regardless. A great player on the ball but once you lose it you might as well be playing with 10 men.
Interesting take. Wonder what @JPRouve thinks

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If he's gonna go, PSG are probably the only place that I could come to terms with very quickly.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Not sure who United would be selling if they did sell Pogba, but it's definitely not the version that plays for France.

£50m goes a long way right now - and if he's set on running his contract down, I can't see him giving £50m worth of effort in the last season.

pascell

Individually a brilliant player, systematically he doesn't fit and never has bar the season with Ibra.

Deploying him as a DM and LW is just hindering his ability on the ball and makes him look inconsistent.

Never built the team around him when we signed him, the circus that comes with him isn't worth the hassle. Best for both parties if he left.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Pogba is a fantastic player although he does take defensive risks too often. The real problem is the media hoopla. The comments before the PSG and City games are unacceptable and is good enough reason to get rid. I hope PSG bid and he leaves.

Inigo Montoya

Not sure who United would be selling if they did sell Pogba, but it's definitely not the version that plays for France.

£50m goes a long way right now - and if he's set on running his contract down, I can't see him giving £50m worth of effort in the last season.
He would if it meant keeping his place in the French team. Deschamps may rate him but he isn’t going to play him if he’s not giving 100% at club level. No one can turn in on and off

edcunited1878

If Pogba leaves, the talent level of the team goes now...pretty obvious.

However, the way the team functions doesn't change. It'll be much more clear and function better as a group. Similar to how when RVN left, United became a better attacking and functioning group not reliant on one player to score the majority of the goals.

You're going to always hear the same old shite that Pogba couldn't play in the midfield two or wasn't producing like he can for France than United. That's just lazy commentary.

It's not that Pogba couldn't play in the a midfield two in the Premier League, it's just that the team wasn't as good because he's a defensive liability in the middle of the park in the most competitive league in the world. Hence the bad games and world class games were equal in quantity, with the other games good/solid. Him showcasing his talents for France for 2 or 3 games, when there's only 6 games or so is such a small sample size that it becomes the standard for him...when that's just not how he performances week in and week out.

The club are doing the right thing by offering him a very fair contract extension. United can allocate that extension money throughout the squad to the likes of a Shawberto, Maguire, Bruno, etc.

SeanyC

Sick of hearing of he’s staying or going, yes he’s a good player but hasn’t consistently shown it for us and he can be replaced

We have had legends like Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo all leave

We have had leaders like Keane, Bruce, Robson all leave

We will survive and be better for it.

worldinmotion66

Disappointing but expected, we didn't get the best out of him through poor management at the end of the day.

He'll probably play in a three alongside Veratti and Marquinos and look a world beater. Some players just need the system built around them.

They need to sell though. I've always liked Paredes although he's never really hit the heights I expected. Would suit us though.

UnitedFan93

Tielemans would be my choice. Neat and tidy player who recycles the ball very well. Even when Pogba was playing, the midfield lacked composure, rushing everything and making poor choices with the ball. I reckon he would be a great signing, plus we would save on wages also.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Even George Galloway is talking about Pogba.

If 350k a week isnt enough for him then I'm not too sorry to see him go.

Inigo Montoya

He is pretty much the same player for France and United. The roles are slightly different but his strength and weaknesses are the same and as visible.
Do the French supporters also feel that he could or should be replaced and a midfield be built differently

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do the French supporters also feel that he could or should be replaced and a midfield be built differently
For years people did but the addition of talent made it obvious that focusing on Pogba was silly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What’s his attributes? You say all round midfielder but what is he best at? (Kimmich)

Matic and Kante interchanged. The point I’m getting at his what they offer to the team.
Kimmich's best attribute is him being all round midfielder that he can do both attack and defense equally good with incredible work rate and stamina, he's pretty much Goretzka but better in taking corner, crossing and passing than Goretzka but Goretzka is better in scoring goals and physically than him but both are all rounder midfielder with incredible stamina and work rate, more like hybrid midfield. Kimmich doesn't win lot of tackles like Kante or Ndidi and he is not a sitter who relies on his positioning like Matic either. In fact, his positioning is not his best attribute because he doesn't sit. Kimmich is not a DM.

My point is the way how Bayern 19/20 and 20/21 operates don't require a DM but their midfield interchange position which have similarity with how our midfield operates. You can't even apply your own assumption about Kimmich being a DM to Thiago when he played next to Goretzka.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But what you say isn’t true is it. It’s just a running annoying narrative. I mean McTominay didn’t even outscore him. But I get the running theme. I just tend not to agree.
He did though. Mctomminay scored 8 in all comps. Pogba scored 6.

RUCK4444

KDB in the PL has been a far better player. I think we tend to be in denial because he plays for City. He runs at a defence far better and more consistently than Pogba which is why he's consistently in the PL teams of the season over the last few years.

I'd be sorry to lose Pogba but we can't sit here and cry about it anymore.
KDB is a better player than Pogba, I'm one of Paul's supporters but I wouldn't say any different.

Trouble is those players are very few and far between. KDB is perhaps the best midfielder in Europe.

IMO Pogba is very good midfielder, unique in some ways and a player that can win you matches (as we seen.) I believe whoever we sign will be less talented, the argument is that we can find a player that 'fit's us better' but to me that just means we will try to sign a DM which is exactly what we need to do anyway, with or without Paul. We shouldn't get rid of one of our very best players to do so.

JB7

On talent, probably not. But I don’t think it’s difficult to name 5 midfielders in the league that would be better for our team than him.