Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Neves is probably slower than Matic and not very mobile. But good luck looking for answers in him.
Pogba is lazy. He gives away cheap pens and free kicks. He can't mark a player. He loses concentration all the time.

No player is perfect.

Neves isn't someone I'm that bothered Bout signing but I don't see how we can possibly keep Pogba. If we give that guy 400k a week and his agent a big fat cheque too we need our heads checking.

Get rid. He can't do it in the PL. He hasn't got it in him.

bosskeano

If he's going to reject 350k p/w then piss off and we have no choice but to sell him now if this report is accurate

hobbers

Bissouma and Aouar. Neves and Goretzka. Camavinga and Saul.

Plenty of options out there for both of the midfield slots we need. Okay some of them might not be viable options but hey.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Like who?
Exactly! Who? I'd love to see one of our youngsters get a crack. Hannibal for me has so much ability without having the physical power of Pogba.

It just looks like we'll be building our team around a midfield with Bruno at the peak of it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’d like to see Grealish Neves Bruno.

I already mentioned this in one of my earlier posts recently but I think Neves being a PL proven player could be a good signing at the price being quoted.

Him being Portuguese may also help form a good bond with Bruno specially. It will be vital in terms of communication about positioning when playing a midfield 3 where discipline will be key.
Grealish is 100m and neves 35m and you’re celebrating an article saying we’d sell Pogba for 45m. So that’s a net of 90m for a midfield I think is completely unworkable and unbalanced. Grealish and Bruno are absolute shite defensively - both incapable of winning duels - and Neves is as mobile as a sloth so good luck to him trying to cover them.

Scholsey2004

But that’s his job in the team. He doesn’t do that because we don’t really play possession based football. But for that role that’s his job. The only player in our squad can do that is VBD. However he would need to play and he’s not a better player than Pogba as we all know. So it’s a set down. But that doesn’t matter if we get a quality DM.

I just hope these guys at our club are on job.Otherwise next season will be a fail unfortunately.
Van de Beek has never been the player to control possession or set the tempto. His passing stats at Ajax were mediocre at best.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
You are sure just means you don’t know. You can’t assume something with confidence. Pogba does a job for us there without no fuss. Grealish does not have the personality to do a job he is very much a maverick and requires that role within a team.

4-3-3 works if Jack has the license to do what he wants. That job is for Bruno. It doesn’t not work. We would need to be a Saul Niguez to improve our current midfield make up. Not Grealish as I think he would cause a bigger problem that what Pogba causes.

I find it funny people say the balance is messed up but want to replace Pogba with Grealish. Makes me think people deep down are scared about the quality we will be losing.:rolleyes:
Firstly Pogba did a fairly incompetent job while he was it. I’ll never forget certain moments that are still glued in my head where he cost us at key moments by not tracking back or excessively fouling players and that’s just the tip of the iceberg with him. Hence him doing that job with or without a fuss is not even the issue. He should never be doing that job to begin with.

Secondly, Bruno had the license when we were playing 4-2-3-1 but in a 4-3-3 that responsibility can be shared just like Silva & KdB would share in City. That’s how I would like to see Grealish & Bruno in our team. This way teams will have a really tough time marking us. They first need to worry about our front 3 and then also worry about Grealish & Bruno in the midfield.

Lastly, I’m not at all worried about this ‘quality’ that you say we’ll be losing. In fact I think Grealish is a much better player in that role in the PL. Pogba is better suited to foreign leagues where the pressure isn’t as intense.

Inigo Montoya

Bissouma and Aouar. Neves and Goretzka. Camavinga and Saul.

Plenty of options out there for both of the midfield slots we need. Okay some of them might not be viable options but hey.
I'd say they all bar Goretzka.

Mainoldo

Since you don't understand then take a look at Bayern when they played with Kimmich or Goretzka in midfield as easier explanation. No DM is required just all rounder midfielder who are discipline and can play in midfield two, and offer both attack and defense. Pogba is nothing like them and our system suits more for someone who is more all rounder in our midfield and will provide more balance.
Kimmich is there DM and not quite sure how you are trying to explain to me how we improve on McFred by brining in a player to do what Pogba already bloody offers. That doesn’t not improve us. We need either someone who can get there foot on the ball and play whilst also screening the back four.

To use your example you play Kimmich with Goretzka. If one isn’t in the team their replacement overs what the guy missing offered. They aren’t the same type of player. Jesus.

Robaldo

If we sell him then we've got a big void in midfield. Not because he's been good for us (largely a distraction) but it would be difficult attempt progressive football if our deep midfielders were Fred, McTominay, and Van de Beek.

It's not that I don't rate those three - I like McTominay and I'd give Van de Beek more of a chance - but we need a player who can move the ball progressively and stay relatively deep at the same time.

I would be thinking along the lines of a prime Banega. Not someone who needs to be high profile at all.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
He’s not mobile, his passing is good but I’ve never seen him have one game where he has got the better of a top class CM so I’m really worried why so much people have so much confidence in this guy.

He’s a good signing for an Arsenal not us. He won’t make us win a midfield battle.
I’m more worried about us not losing the ball and keeping possession more than fighting other kinds of battles in the midfield. Currently we lose the ball way too frequently and Neves seems to have a calm head on him. I can even see him being a good fit next to Fred in a midfield 2 if we’re playing 4-2-3-1.

laughtersassassin

Where have I said I'd not want us to invest or I'd be happy with our current options if he leaves? I want two in even if Pogba was bloody staying! I've said for months we'll struggle to replace him, and we must do some brilliant business now to make up for his departure.
I wasn't implying you said that.

Just commenting on my guess on how we replace him.

By reports so far he will only be replaced with a DM.

And right now that could be Neves.

If we lost Pogba and Neves was the only replacement that would be a hell of a feck up by the club for instance.

Losing could be a massive loss or maybe not. All depends how he is replaced or knowing our club possibly not replaced at all.

laughtersassassin

I really see nothing different between France's Pogba and United's Pogba.

Both are the same. Capable of brilliant moments on the ball but passenger off the ball and careless in possession in their own half.

It's just that people focus more on his brilliant moments with France, but the overall performance is mostly the same really.
Then you aren't watching. Pogba is their entire creative force from deep.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well if he does it for PSG and He does it for France and he Did it for Juve then maybe the problem was us????
Maybe yes, maybe not. Who cares. We're not changing the whole team setup to accommodate Pogba, especially as it has been proven over time he's not essential to team success. Which is what I care about more than Pogba well being and playing in favorite position beside perfect partner, whoever that is this week.

Midfield we are desperate tbf. Ours midfield 2 options are dire
You mean those guys who were ahead of Pogba in the pecking order last season?

hobbers

I'd say they all bar Goretzka.
Yeh and possibly Camavinga if he's dead set on running down his contract to go to Real.

But we could go out and sign a pair like Bissouma and Aouar in the next week for less than £80m net with ease if we wanted to.

Mainoldo

Firstly Pogba did a fairly incompetent job while he was it. I’ll never forget certain moments that are still glued in my head where he cost us at key moments by not tracking back or excessively fouling players and that’s just the tip of the iceberg with him. Hence him doing that job with or without a fuss is not even the issue. He should never be doing that job to begin with.

Secondly, Bruno had the license when we were playing 4-2-3-1 but in a 4-3-3 that responsibility can be shared just like Silva & KdB would share in City. That’s how I would like to see Grealish & Bruno in our team. This way teams will have a really tough time marking us. They first need to worry about our front 3 and then also worry about Grealish & Bruno in the midfield.

Lastly, I’m not at all worried about this ‘quality’ that you say we’ll be losing. In fact I think Grealish is a much better player in that role in the PL. Pogba is better suited to foreign leagues where the pressure isn’t as intense.
Grealish does not play CM. What are you talking about. Tell me a game when he played CM and played well? He hasn’t done it since the Championship.

If Bruno’s responsibility changes then he would have to offer what Fred offers and be the destroyer. That’s not going to happen is it.

laughtersassassin

I think if Pogba goes, we may go back in for Grealish. We just might. (Fingers crossed :drool:)
I'd hope mate but by all reports we have no intention of replacing him.

Apparently we will just be getting a mid level DM which is really just replacing McT or Feed which isn't a hard task.

Inigo Montoya

That’s the player we are selling bud.
KDB in the PL has been a far better player. I think we tend to be in denial because he plays for City. He runs at a defence far better and more consistently than Pogba which is why he's consistently in the PL teams of the season over the last few years.

I'd be sorry to lose Pogba but we can't sit here and cry about it anymore.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Probably looking for higher salary and longer term. 3 year at his age would reduce his chance of getting a better contract down the line. Last chance at big contract. Would actually be an idiot to accept 3 year contract at his age
Thing is, you could make that argument about Cavani or Ibrahimivic. I bet both of those have earned more by serially taking one year contracts as a free agent than if they’d signed a longer contract with one club. I doubt that if Pogba signed a 3 year contract now he’d be short of hugely lucrative offers on a year by year basis from aged 31 - 36.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Grealish is 100m and neves 35m and you’re celebrating an article saying we’d sell Pogba for 45m. So that’s a net of 90m for a midfield I think is completely unworkable and unbalanced. Grealish and Bruno are absolute shite defensively - both incapable of winning duels - and Neves is as mobile as a sloth so good luck to him trying to cover them.
We can try to include players in a deal for Grealish. I had suggested Lingard as one. As for Neves, 35m is exactly the reason why I’d even want to go for him as that’s probably the most funds we’ll have left if we do hypothetically sign Grealish.
Neves’ age will always make him a good selling prospect in the future in case he doesn’t fit well in our team.
As for his mobility, it remains to be seen how he performs in a different team and different setup. We usually maintain a lot of possession so his job won’t be as adventurous as it sometimes was playing for Wolves. I’d totally be willing to take a risk on him and see if he can fit in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I really see nothing different between France's Pogba and United's Pogba.

Both are the same. Capable of brilliant moments on the ball but passenger off the ball and careless in possession in their own half.

It's just that people focus more on his brilliant moments with France, but the overall performance is mostly the same really.
I have exactly the same feeling. Just take last France game as an example, Pogba was very good attacking wise, but their midfield looked leaky as hell. Same problems as for United, but France looks superior in 9/10 games so Pogba looks like world beater as well.

Apparently we will just be getting a mid level DM which is really just replacing McT or Feed which isn't a hard task.
Selling Pogba and using the funds to replace one of Fred / McTominay is an excellent move though.

Mainoldo

I’m more worried about us not losing the ball and keeping possession more than fighting other kinds of battles in the midfield. Currently we lose the ball way too frequently and Neves seems to have a calm head on him. I can even see him being a good fit next to Fred in a midfield 2 if we’re playing 4-2-3-1.
I don’t believe he’s good enough for this level. He might be better than McTominay “might” but his ball possession isn’t going to help us getting overran when he’s mobility comes into questions as his passing ain’t that good to be press resistant.

el3mel

Then you aren't watching. Pogba is their entire creative force from deep.
IMO he does all these brilliant moments for us too.

People just notice it more with France than with us.

And similarly, they notice his problems off the ball with United while tend to ignore it when it happens to France.

Pogba is the same player regardless. A great player on the ball but once you lose it you might as well be playing with 10 men.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Kimmich is there DM

To use your example you play Kimmich with Goretzka. If one isn’t in the team their replacement overs what the guy missing offered. They aren’t the same type of player. Jesus.
You never watch Bayern. Kimmich is not a DM. He is an all rounder midfielder. Both Kimmich and Goretzka interchange position/role when they play. Another good example is Bayern 19/20 when Kimmich was moved as right back due to Pavard's injury, Thiago and Goretzka played in their midfield and they won the Treble. What's next, Thiago is a DM too?

and not quite sure how you are trying to explain to me how we improve on McFred by brining in a player to do what Pogba already bloody offers. That doesn’t not improve us. We need either someone who can get there foot on the ball and play whilst also screening the back four.
So now you are telling that we need someone who can offer both in attack and defense. Is that not what I said an all rounder midfielder who can offer both in attack and defense? Pogba is being restricted because his best role is occupied by Bruno, better get someone who is more all rounder who doesn't need freedom.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Grealish does not play CM. What are you talking about. Tell me a game when he played CM and played well? He hasn’t done it since the Championship.

If Bruno’s responsibility changes then he would have to offer what Fred offers and be the destroyer. That’s not going to happen is it.
You’re taking my words too literally. My apologies if I’m making Grealish sound like something he’s not but I can certainly see him playing on the left of a midfield 3 in quite a few games. His driving runs usually start in the midfield so it’s definitely possible. He will also play a few games on left wing obviously whenever someone else needs a rest.

End of the day I had started this discussion to highlight the fact that Grealish is an amazing replacement for Pogba and we will definitely find space for him in our team. Last season we were short of options and drove a few players into the ground. Now Ole mentions the fact that Lingard still has a place in the team for exactly this reason, being another option. I’d rather have players like Grealish as an option. To win titles we need a dynamic squad.

But with Grealish the issue seems to be his affordability more than anything else.

wolvored

I suppose from Pogbas angle he sees the last 5 years as a complete waste of time. Hes won 2 minor trophies and if he had have stayed at Juve or joined another big club, he would have won more. Hes had a big contract which has made him secure for life and maybe wants to win trophies while he is still attractive to big teams age wise.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I don’t believe he’s good enough for this level. He might be better than McTominay “might” but his ball possession isn’t going to help us getting overran when he’s mobility comes into questions as his passing ain’t that good to be press resistant.
Well obviously we’ll have to play him wisely and probably not in every game but atleast he’ll provide something different to McFred whenever needed.

Also I’m not sure I agree with you on the passing part. His passing range seems much better than McFred’s. His vision is decent too and as I mentioned he’s only 24. A lot of room for improvement in all aspects. For 35m I’m totally down for it. And personally I’ve always preferred signing PL players then someone abroad. The transition is much faster and smoother.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Not all DM's are the same. Getting a 'DM' who is also a very good passer and partnering them with Fred (or maybe McTominay) should be an obvious improvement over the McFred combo we used most of last season, especially in the bigger games. It will also be an improvement over either of them partnered with Pogba.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

Yeah I’m aware mate. Obviously just daydreaming myself :D

Worst case scenario, at least we have DvB who may come alive this season and end up being a great buy.

laughtersassassin

Not all DM's are the same. Getting a 'DM' who is also a very good passer and partnering them with Fred (or maybe McTominay) should be an obvious improvement over the McFred combo we used most of last season, especially in the bigger games. It will also be an improvement over either of them partnered with Pogba.
True to an extent.

But Fred can't be our CM next to a DM if we want to reach the top.

His forward games and long passing and ability to switch the play isn't good enough for that level.

laughtersassassin

Yeah I’m aware mate. Obviously just daydreaming myself :D

Worst case scenario, at least we have DvB who may come alive this season and end up being a great buy.
Again hopefully but I don't think VDB can be a number 8 in the Prem.

Again praying I'm wrong considering I doubt we adequately replace Pogba

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Annoyingly a Verratti/Wijnaldum/Pogba midfield is very much a modern day Pirlo/Vidal/Pogba equivalent :lol:

PSG is the perfect club for Pogba though, the negative parts of his midfield play A- won't be shown up half as much as it does for us and B- no one watches the French league so it won't get highlighted to wider audiences anyway

Mainoldo

You never watch Bayern. Kimmich is not a DM. He is an all rounder midfielder. Both Kimmich and Goretzka interchange position/role when they play. Another good example is Bayern 19/20 when Kimmich was moved as right back due to Pavard's injury, Thiago and Goretzka played in their midfield and they won the Treble. What's next, Thiago is a DM too?

So now you are telling that we need someone who can offer both in attack and defense. Is that not what I said an all rounder midfielder who can offer both in attack and defense? Pogba is being restricted because his best role is occupied by Bruno, better get someone who is more all rounder who doesn't need freedom.
What’s his attributes? You say all round midfielder but what is he best at? (Kimmich)

Matic and Kante interchanged. The point I’m getting at his what they offer to the team.

Mainoldo

Well obviously we’ll have to play him wisely and probably not in every game but atleast he’ll provide something different to McFred whenever needed.

Also I’m not sure I agree with you on the passing part. His passing range seems much better than McFred’s. His vision is decent too and as I mentioned he’s only 24. A lot of room for improvement in all aspects. For 35m I’m totally down for it. And personally I’ve always preferred signing PL players then someone abroad. The transition is much faster and smoother.
Well if we are going to do that let’s get a best in class like a Tielemans. Neves can’t even get a game for his country. Bruno got dropped and they went for 34 years old Moutinho.

I don’t think we need another rotation player either. Hojbjerb would also be a better option. Just don’t see Nuno letting him go.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Again hopefully but I don't think VDB can be a number 8 in the Prem.

Again praying I'm wrong considering I doubt we adequately replace Pogba
Yeah I guess this will be a final and solid test for him to prove himself.

I can’t help but believe that he’ll be more disciplined than Pogba to say the least. His movement in tight spaces is also really good so while he may not provide some of Pogba’s magic, he will provide other traits.

One of our major issues last season was building that bridge in the midfield when bringing the ball to the front from the back and I think this is where Donny could showcase his strengths.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
True to an extent.

But Fred can't be our CM next to a DM if we want to reach the top.

His forward games and long passing and ability to switch the play isn't good enough for that level.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. In theory we'd want the DM to be providing most of that, while Fred plays more the Kante/Gattuso style of harrier and destroyer. We may still be able to improve on him further in 12 months time, but in the meantime we 'should' have a better midfield than the McFred combo that mostly got us to 2nd last season or any of the inconsistent midfields we've had with Pogba.

Of course it relies on signing the right player.