Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Strelok

Give him a fat pay rise.
If he leaves on a free he'd get 30m for him, 20m for the fat fecker and +£500k a week. You really think we should and could give him that? Or even more than that to persuade him to stay since he clearly wants out for ages?

Sell him? Refuse to play him this season?
If he refuses to leave? You can't sell a player without him agreeing to the move.

And it's not like he'd play much this season anyway. Ole has made quite clear last season it's the left wing or the bench for him. We've just signed Sancho. Maybe at the start of the season if Rashford decides to have his surgery or if we have some injuries but that's it.

Again, what a shitty situation we've let ourself in.

foolsgold

Sell him? Refuse to play him this season?
I really don't see where he fits into the team these days anyway. Doesn't do enough in central midfield for a top premier league team.

What are we left with, on the left of a front three maybe or a rotation option for Bruno ?

Not really seeing it. The more I think about it, the more I just want him gone.

TsuWave

Such a shame our season didn't start in December.
which speaks to how well he performed, still managing to be one of the most consistent overall. oh and yeah, he had covid and was injured for the start of the season, but you're sassy huh?

yamo123x

I too am completely divided on pogba, i watch him and think he is a class above anyone else on the field, integral to everything we do --the following week he is passive, sloppy, lazy and only interested in showboating. It certainly questions both his motivation and mentality.

If i were the club, i would want a straight answer, do you want to stay at this football club?

If he hesitates or the answer is no, we have to get rid now while we can and bring in a quality replacement who can influence games and give us an extra dimension.

Oldyella

Another huge thing is the fact that he doesn't even fit into our current system. We give him a new contract and play him where exactly?
Fair point. If we are moving to a 3 and looking for a more dynamic dm then he will fit in, but in our current formation, he just doesn't feel like a good fit.

SAF was right when he sold this toxicity.
He didn't though.

CM

Who was the last top player that that moved from a big club on a free?

Lewandowski many years ago?

I can't think of anyone recently. Big clubs just don't let it happen.

Oldies (30+) excluded of course.
I do think it will become more common practice in the next year or two among top players. Alaba, Donnarumma, Wijnaldum and Depay have all done it this summer already.

It's very feasible Pogba will do the same if we don't sell this summer. I think we want to avoid being bullied into caving to his demands (and frankly his status in the team isn't what it was pre-Bruno), so if we don't get a good fee this summer there's every chance Pogba runs his contract down.

laughtersassassin

Pogba is such a talented player and I really hoped he would make it here. I think he has been good and sometimes very very good, but the whole circus with his greedy agent needs to stop asap. It is the one big negative on our summer.

The sooner we draw a line under it the better. Right now I am hoping we can sell him for £40M+ and reinvest that into someone who wants to be here.
Problem is 40million gets you a bang average player a lot of the time.

Look at Fred. Not even close to good enough all things considered.

dove

Giving him a pay rise completely undermines the manager and destabilises the club. There are other players who will rightly have their noses put out of joint or hold the club to ransom when they come to renew, like Bruno for example.

Paying Pogba north of £350k+ a week is the thin end of the wedge that gets us moving towards a Madrid/Barcelona situation. We didn't sign young players to have them all on over £250k a week before they're 25, unless they're clearly world class. Nothing positive will come from paying Pogba and Rialoa what they're demanding.
Yea but we are talking about the club that pays over £400k/week for 2 goalkeepers and stupid amounts for fringe players like Lingard who I bet will have an improved contract offer soon if haven't got already. We are not letting Pogba go on a free that's for sure so if PSG doesn't make an acceptable offer, we will offer Pogba whatever he asks that's for sure. Basically another De Gea situation.

RonaldoVII

Who was the last top player that that moved from a big club on a free?

Lewandowski many years ago?

I can't think of anyone recently. Big clubs just don't let it happen.

Oldies (30+) excluded of course.
Alaba, Donnarumma? Wijnaldum is 30 and maybe not top bracket but he'd still likely be our best CM if he was at United. Ramos and Thiago are a lot older so it's more likely but they still had plenty to offer.

I just can't see us offering Pogba a huge pay rise to keep him when he's wanted to leave for years and PSG don't seem to be in a hurry to stump up the funds to buy him this summer.

crossy1686

career ending
Yea but we are talking about the club that pays over £400k/week for 2 goalkeepers and stupid amounts for fringe players like Lingard who I bet will have an improved contract offer soon if haven't got already. We are not letting Pogba go on a free that's for sure so if PSG doesn't make an acceptable offer, we will offer Pogba whatever he asks that's for sure. Basically another De Gea situation.
To be fair, a lot of that stuff happened under Mourinho and if he were still the manager I'd agree that Pogba getting a bumper deal would be most likely (if they liked each other). I think it's pretty common knowledge at this point De Gea's on the way out also, which brings our wages down considerably. Lingard getting a new deal is fine as long as he starts putting in performances like he did at West Ham, also at the moment, no one wants to buy him for the prices we're quoting so it makes sense for him to renew, we can always sell him next summer if it doesn't work out this year again.

Mainoldo

I mean France were awful. He's already the 6th highest paid player in the world according to Forbes before any new contract and he was rated the 15th best midfielder in the tournament which consists of players from one continent. His demands are no way backed by his performances.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/performancezone/#/
Was he the 15th best midfielder in your eyes in than tournament?

Strelok

Alaba, Donnarumma? Wijnaldum is 30 and maybe not top bracket but he'd still likely be our best CM if he was at United. Ramos and Thiago are a lot older so it's more likely but they still had plenty to offer.

I just can't see us offering Pogba a huge pay rise to keep him when he's wanted to leave for years and PSG don't seem to be in a hurry to stump up the funds to buy him this summer.
Imo it's so quiet simply because that fat fecker has been asking huge figures on signing bonus and agent fee. Of course PSG won't pay that if they have to pay a transfer fee. We won't pay that money either. Everything leads to a free next summer. Whether it's PSG or else. Would be a big suprise for me if not.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The Liverpool link screams of them trying to get us to offer him a new contract, rather than forcing PSG's hand. Which is interesting. He'd never go there, he actually likes United.

Cman

Of the 3 possibilities , 1 We sell him to PSG, 2 he stays and signs a new contract and 3 he leaves for free next summer I think the latter is more likely.

If that does happen I’m backing Ole to make the most of it and manage it in best way possible. He has dealt with the Pogba circus very well up to now and I think he will continue to do so.

Its fine to say just throw him in the reserves as some posters are calling for but there’s no way that happens. We are already going to need him badly in first few games of the season with Rashford out and Martial not going to be match fit.
Plus even if we bring in another midfielder and have a fully fit squad Pogba on his day is a match winner.

I think the best way to use him and control the circus as much as possible is to make it clear as the season progresses that he’s not a preferred starter. Bring him on if we need a goal with half hour to go, or start him against lower teams playing a low block.
If we can leave him out of team and on bench and give minutes to younger or fringe players then make it clear that’s the route we want to go. Pogba plays only when it’s 100% necessary.
He will want to play as much as possible to put himself in shop window and depending on how we are going with form and injuries there will be periods when he will get a decent run in the team.
But if we bring in another quality mid and continue to play with the double pivot and have a number of players who can play on the left. Then I think we can greatly reduce his minutes while still having a game changing sub to bring on late in games.

Allows Ole to control the narrative around the Pogba circus a bit- “ Paul’s a great player and very professional and will continue to give his all the season for us but we would rather give minutes to players that are 100% committed to the club “
I know this would make him the highest paid sub in the game and if we aren’t winning games without him he will have to start games but would be much better for the team if he is going to leave for free next summer we start to phase him out this season.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Looking more and more like he's fishing for a massive contract from us, and I'm not sure we'll give it to him.
Think he'll sign for similar conditions to De Gea, can also see the club offering something along those lines. Not sure what to do with Raiola, though.

Eli Zee

As much as I'd say don't give in to his negotiation and raise his wage (absolutely does not deserve it one bit), he has all the power now. The club can either pay him an extra few million for the season, or lose out on a 40mil+ transfer and he leaves for free.

the emotional side of me wants to say take the L and don't give him shit, but the business side says it makes sense to get him to sign one way or another to sell

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Problem is 40million gets you a bang average player a lot of the time.

Look at Fred. Not even close to good enough all things considered.
I don't think Fred would have gone for 50m (or whatever it was) if it had been another club buying him. That figure is on Woodward/Judge.

buchansleftleg

The Liverpool link screams of them trying to get us to offer him a new contract, rather than forcing PSG's hand. Which is interesting. He'd never go there, he actually likes United.
It's a laughably bad attempt to try and "Keep Pogba relevant" and drum up interest from the fat slug agent. He is just like a seller of cheap plates on a market stall. we can expect some more "crashes" as he will desperately try and create more noise and disruption over the coming weeks and months.

This is why the club should just go to PSG and arrange a cut price deal now behind his back. While we keep the idea of further contact negotiations open this sort of nonsense will only get louder and more disruptive.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How massive does he want his next contract ? he reportedly rejected 350k a week from us, isn't that massive enough !

Its laughable :lol:

Real Name

What are this Liverpool links?

Bollocks surely?

Seems so its all about the money, him wanting a big pay rise.

His whole team at United summed up.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Facts we know:

1) Raiola is a 'shitbag' and he's his agent who fishes for the best deal possible (that's on the pitch and commercially)

2) Pogba has one year left and turns 29 next March

3) Pogba is one of the most marketable players in the world, and United's deal with Adidas strengthens their negotiation position because they'll want a slice of that cake above and beyond normal wages.

Solutions: I'm sure Pogba would happily move to Madrid, PSG or Barcelona but those clubs are either stacked with players in his position, or are not in a financial position to match the money United can, probably because they want to keep/sign his mate Mbappe.

Those clubs may be reluctant to offer him more than 4 years on his contract because his style of play suggests he might not be the kind of player who improves with age in that area of the pitch.

So his shitbag agent is going to do everything in his power to get 5 years (because you think this will be his last 'big' contract) and a wage-structure busting deal at United, and as he does with all of his clients, he will brief the media in regards to their 'availability' and interest from other clubs.

wolvored

:lol: No he likes the money, thats why hes got the club over a barrel. If he liked the club he would sign a fair new contract.

Eplel

I'll happily sell him to Liverpool and see how long it takes for Raiola to ruin their locker room atmosphere.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My chief aim here.

By that I can assume you were also judging Kante by his creativity... :nervous:
I don't judge any midfielder based on their creativity. I am surprised so many people do, especially for a team that has so many great players up front like France do. How many assists and goals did Veratti, Modric, Jorginho had? Those are proper midfielders. Also, if Chelsea don't score a goal, is Kante and Jorginho blamed for lack of creativity?
France lost 3 goals (Switzerland missed a penalty too), watching that game I never felt like they had control over midfield - and Pogba played with Kante. If that is the perfect partnership, I have doubts we would like that at United, as I imagine there are many teams better than Switzerland in EPL.
which speaks to how well he performed, still managing to be one of the most consistent overall. oh and yeah, he had covid and was injured for the start of the season, but you're sassy huh?
Fred, McTominay, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Maguire were all much more consistent players throughout the season. I'd put Lindelof and Cavani above Pogba as well. The only players less consistent than Pogba are Bruno, Rashford, and possibly Greenwood. I don't include players who had been rarely used (Telles, Matic, Martial, James).
You don't get a prize for being most consistent since any random month as far as I know.

Strelok

No way he'd go to Liverpool, they simply won't pay him and his circus that crazy money. They barely have any money for their transfers let alone being stupid enough to deal with that shitbag, pay insane figures and get a player that doesn't press.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Why isnt he back in training ? Varane came back almost a week ago.