Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

432JuanMata

Reports Mbappe has told PSG that he wont sign a new contract. Real have no money and very few sides could pony up enough money to buy him right now with us being a possible exception. We also have a big name French player theyre actively trying to sign. There has to be a deal we can make there, surely?
We won’t give Pogba a new contract, sign Sancho for 70m plus and Mbappe for over 130m plus.

talking robot

Yeah he doesn’t fit our style of play as we have all seen him for France and he looks a difference players but with Rice throwing around for 70m who would we get for 40/50m that’s better
Ruben Neves isn't a better player, but I think we look more balanced with a midfield three of Neves (as a 6) -- VDB (8) -- Fernandes (10) than Fred (6) -- Pogba (8) -- Fernandes (10).

Strelok

I should have said this year. My bad.
Do you know he's out for a long time because of a couple of injuries and Covid?

On 14 January, Ramos reportedly took four pain killer injections to his left knee to play against Athletic Bilbao in the 2020–21 Supercopa de España semi-final which Real Madrid went on to lose 2–1.[147] This was the last match Ramos would play before opting for a mid-season surgery for the first time in his career for a torn meniscus in his left knee.[148] He was expected to be out for two months and to return in early April, but after a speedy recovery, Ramos started against Elche on 13 March – just over a month after he went under the knife.[149] Real Madrid's 2–1 win over Elche was Ramos' 334th La Liga win (315 with Real Madrid and 19 with Sevilla), equalling the record of Iker Casillas as the players with second–most wins in the Spanish top flight – only behind Messi.[150] Four days later, Ramos played in a Champions League round of 16-second leg for the first time in three years as Real Madrid went on to defeat Atalanta 3–1 at the Alfredo di Stefano (5–3 on aggregate) and qualified for the quarter-finals for the first time since their last Champions League winning campaign in 2018. Ramos scored his 19th consecutive penalty for Madrid in the 60th minute which killed the game, before coming off as a substitute.[151] This was Ramos' 15th Champions League goal, equalling former teammates Gerard Piqué and Iván Helguera as the second highest scoring defenders in the history of the competition – with only former teammate Roberto Carlos ahead of them.[152] Due to an injury, Ramos missed his first El Clásico since joining Los Blancos, putting an end to a streak of playing in 31 consecutive league Clásicos.[153] He later missed the second leg of the Champions League quarter-finals against Liverpool, as he tested positive for COVID-19, although he was also injured.[154] On 5 May, in the Champions League semi-final second leg against Chelsea, his side lost 2–0 and were eliminated from the competition; however, he then sustained an injury in his left hamstring which forced him to miss the rest of the season; this meant he had played his last game for Real Madrid.[155] Ramos played just 21 matches for Los Blancos in 2020–21, making it his most injury-riddled season, after having played at least 33 matches in each of his previous 15 campaigns at the club.[156]

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We've really backed ourselves into a corner with this one. Losing him on a free would be absolutely awful. And I can definitely see him waiting it out to join Madrid or PsG next summer. If we can sell him now then great but we have a very weak hand on this one. Besides it's no good selling and signing our usual workhorses for the midfield. We need genuine quality on the ball and sadly we are not being linked with anyone of that ilk.

amolbhatia50k

Ruben Neves isn't a better player, but I think we look more balanced with a midfield three of Neves (as a 6) -- VDB (8) -- Fernandes (10) than Fred (6) -- Pogba (8) -- Fernandes (10).
Balance is important but so is quality. We are never going to win major honours with midfielders of the standard of Fred, Mctominay, VDB and Neves. If we're selling Pogba we really need to add someone properly gifted on the ball.

Also VDB is laughably bad and has to prove himself to be good enough for us let alone a qualiry player for us

kundalini

Balance is important but so is quality. We are never going to win major honours with midfielders of the standard of Fred, Mctominay, VDB and Neves. If we're selling Pogba we really need to add someone properly gifted on the ball.

Also VDB is laughably bad and has to prove himself to be good enough for us let alone a qualiry player for us
United have won the PL title with far worse midfields than Fred and McTominay. You've been a member on here since 2002, surely you remember the midfield partnerships that contributed to Sir Alex's final PL title ?

Not only that, but other teams have won the PL title in recent years with central midfields that were short on technical quality.

The evidence of the Pogba era is that technical quality in central midfield is rarely the decisive factor in the PL.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
We've really backed ourselves into a corner with this one. Losing him on a free would be absolutely awful. And I can definitely see him waiting it out to join Madrid or PsG next summer. If we can sell him now then great but we have a very weak hand on this one. Besides it's no good selling and signing our usual workhorses for the midfield. We need genuine quality on the ball and sadly we are not being linked with anyone of that ilk.
TBF we've been linked to Goretzka and Camavinga who are both very good on the ball. I also doubt we have a proper chance at either though.

amolbhatia50k

United have won the PL title with far worse midfields than Fred and McTominay. You've been a member on here since 2002, surely you remember the midfield partnerships that contributed to Sir Alex's final PL title ?

Not only that, but other teams have won the PL title in recent years with central midfields that were short on technical quality.

The evidence of the Pogba era is that technical quality in central midfield is rarely the decisive
factor in the PL.
Sir Alex was the greatest manager in the history of the sport.

And no other PL team that has won the title has had a midfield of the Fred Mctominay level. City - brilliant in midfield. Liverpool - Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum at their best also on another to McFred. Chelsea - the likes of Matic, Kante and Cesc at their best. Leicester had Kante who is basically as good as McFred combined but they're an anomaly as their competition was Spurs :lol:

I don't think you can win big trophies now with those CMs you listed. Sir Alex's genius and Klopp's tactics are unique factors we aren't lucky enough to have anytime soon. So we need quality.

amolbhatia50k

TBF we've been linked to Goretzka and Camavinga who are both very good on the ball. I also doubt we have a proper chance at either though.
Would love Camavinga but he's still a kid and not sure he wants to come. Goretzka don't know enough about tbh. Always thought he was more brute force and engine but may be wrong. Ideally we should replace Pogba with a playmaker.

mav_9me

Would love Camavinga but he's still a kid and not sure he wants to come. Goretzka don't know enough about tbh. Always thought he was more brute force and engine but may be wrong. Ideally we should replace Pogba with a playmaker.
I yearn for the days we play with a controller in CM. Like Kroos or how scholes was. Not too many of them about. Personally wouldn't mind Tielelmans.

OleTheGreat

I always thought Pogba was better than the bunch we had around when he signed but it breaks my heart that he wants to leave when things are finally happening at United and Ole is trying to build a formidable line-up. Pogba is a flair player who likes to create chances and play up front, much like Bruno. I don't understand why Bruno goes directly at the top as soon as he was signed and Pogba never played in that position, he wasn't even tried there. According to me, he would've done well in Bruno's position. Regardless I still think he could've done a lot more than he did in the last few years especially after Jose left but injuries and position mix up cost him a lot. I love Pogba for his skills and the way he reads the game but I also think it is best to sell a player who's heart is not here. Don't throw money at his face, just send him and buy someone who will love the club and work hard every game. Now, even if he stayed we would struggle to find a good position for him; unless we get a DM as good as Pirlo or Kante which sadly is doubtful. Declan Rice is the best there is, in the PL and he's our only hope of solving the midfield problem or we'll have to wait another year to sort the issues before we can really challenge for the title.

Hey Glazers, buying Sancho is not enough! We need more reinforcement in midfield. Buy Rice, I'm sure you have the cash. Stop taking dividends and loans.

Strelok

Pogba never played in that position, he wasn't even tried there
He did played the highest position in a midfield 3 with Matic and Herrera. A free roaming attacking midfield or whatever you'd call that. He did really good there for a while until teams start to isolate, press and go strongly on him. His tendency of unnecessary dwelling on the ball and relying on his strength to keep the ball under pressure simply didn't work there anymore, he started to suck big time. He's not good in tight space with basically no time allowed, he doesn't have a quick feet and imo not much of a quick mind either. He usually receives the ball, take a few touches while thinking about what's next. Truth is he needs quite of space and time to play. He was so bad back then that Ole had to move him deeper and the rest is history.

Looking at for example the super quick flicks Bruno usually does you'd understand why Ole put him on top the day he came.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So we have him his first professional contract and then he walked away for free.

We then brought him back for a world record fee and he’s about to walk away for free again.

You would’ve hoped that he’d show some loyalty to the club, but it seems it’s not going to happen. Sell him ASAP to redeem a fee for him and let him be on his way. He’s shown glimpses of brilliance but hasn’t justified a world record fee at all

Commentary

Part of me wants to keep him (just to see a run at the title with Pogba, Fernandez and Cavani)

but realistically, it's not good to have a player whose planning to run down his contract, you have to wonder if he'll put the whole effort in, and if Van de Beek gets next to nil game time again, we risk losing them both.

predator

Youth NITK
He ain't going anywhere. He will sign a new deal to become our highest earner and will lead us to next seasons title alongside his fellow countryman varane, who will be our most influential defender next season.

Quote me if you like.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So we have him his first professional contract and then he walked away for free.

We then brought him back for a world record fee and he’s about to walk away for free again.

You would’ve hoped that he’d show some loyalty to the club, but it seems it’s not going to happen. Sell him ASAP to redeem a fee for him and let him be on his way. He’s shown glimpses of brilliance but hasn’t justified a world record fee at all
If he's made it obvious to the club for the final two years of his contract that he'd quite like to leave (which by all indications he has), it's not his fault if the club refuses to actually sell him. What's he supposed to do, keep signing new contracts despite wanting to go elsewhere? He seems to have put it in the clubs hands, and we're the ones deciding to keep him and hoping he ends up deciding to stay.

Of course, Covid makes it a bit more difficult as suddenly there hasn't been any clubs really with the finances to pay what we would normally want for him. But it's still in our hands to lower our expectations.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

This. I've had it with this nonsense now.

Even if we just get half of what we paid for him id be happy to see the back of him

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I am going to assume: Di Maria, Memphis, Martial, likely VDB in recent years. Previously a good few wanted Nani gone and even Ronaldo in his younger years. I agree with that poster to some degree, we like to preach about our love of skills and flair etc but ultimately there’s a massive portion of this fan base who only really care about ‘hard work’, ‘grit’ ‘determination’ and all the other cliches that hang around English football.
Hardly great num
He ain't going anywhere. He will sign a new deal to become our highest earner and will lead us to next seasons title alongside his fellow countryman varane, who will be our most influential defender next season.

Quote me if you like.
Or he will sign United biggest ever contract and continue to be inconsistent which he has been since he signed, and in a couple of years we have an Ozil/Sanchez/Rooney like situation where our highest earner is struggling to get in the team it has massively raised the wage demands again of every player, is nearly impossible to move on without paying the player to leave and the situation is just causing a massive distraction.

if you hand out those types of contracts the player has to be 100% key to the club. Pogba is 28 year old player who has never learned consistency, that there is still massive questions over his best position, has been dropped at times by the last 2 mangers for form and attitude and has reputation for going missing from games. That isn’t the kind of player you give that kind of contract too, even when they are as gifted as Pogba.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Neymar and Pogba, the ultimate YouTube highlight players - makes more and more sense Pogba would go to PSG.

Mainoldo

That has nothing to do with players who have flair though. More 'conventional' players get the same treatment. See how Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Scotty, Fred etc. are berated when they don't perform. Flair player or not, most important is performing, otherwise it's all pointless. What's more important than Martial playing well is the team playing well. Him sulking, not making runs off the ball, blowing extremely hot and cold etc. are the reasons why he isn't being taken in well here at the moment, not cause he's a flair player.
You cannot treat all players the same that’s not how it works. There has to be a certain respect for the players who are the most talented. That’s just football all the way down to grass roots. For some reason this club has fallen into the trap that all players are the same and they all need to work the same. We didn’t treat Cantona like that.

Mainoldo

PREACH

Counterfactual

You cannot treat all players the same that’s not how it works. There has to be a certain respect for the players who are the most talented. That’s just football all the way down to grass roots. For some reason this club has fallen into the trap that all players are the same and they all need to work the same. We didn’t treat Cantona like that.
He was the exception that proved the rule.

SER19

Getting verratti in place of pogba would be an enormous upgrade

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Would be incredibly naive to think that you don't need any of those to be successful. And, fans think about the results and performances which are mainly based on those qualities.

Some of the best attacking teams in last few decades have tons of those qualities. The likes of SAF, Jose, Pep, Klopp have had teams with those qualities.
Exactly! Which makes it all the stranger then when fans get frustrated with truly creative or flair players. Pogba is heavily scrutinised for losing the ball, forgetting the fact that he pretty much always produces at least one big chance per game. He’s also a joy to watch yet that seemingly gets ignored too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We should love strikers who don't score many goals? Alright.
Slightly reductive but expected when it comes to Martial. In fact in his time here at least up until last season he’s pretty much consistently delivered a good number of goals and assists. He’s just a great player to watch, excellent touch, great hold up play, pace, skill, dribbling. But he’s french, black, has a moody face and doesn’t run like Cavani so he’s never going to be loved and that’s the case for Pogba too.

Schmeichel=God

Back in Ferguson's day this is exactly the nouse and muscle the club would have shown. Unless Mbappe is not interested at all this is something we should be doing in order to inflate the perceived value of Paul. As a transfer alone I just know we're going to get robbed. With a forced hand in a hybrid swap deal + cash we'll hide a better valuation in it.

Reports Mbappe has told PSG that he wont sign a new contract. Real have no money and very few sides could pony up enough money to buy him right now with us being a possible exception. We also have a big name French player theyre actively trying to sign. There has to be a deal we can make there, surely?
Exactly this. Keeping him on a stupid contract leaves us no wriggle room should we need in coming seasons. We're nearly there now with the De Gea deal. Then we've got Jones sat earning for nothing. This would imo undo all the good work Ole has done with the squad.

Balance of risk. Lose Paul quality vs maintain squad equilibrium. Imo everything balanced he should go. Some good comments in this thread on why we don't need him that desperately.

Hardly great num

Or he will sign United biggest ever contract and continue to be inconsistent which he has been since he signed, and in a couple of years we have an Ozil/Sanchez/Rooney like situation where our highest earner is struggling to get in the team it has massively raised the wage demands again of every player, is nearly impossible to move on without paying the player to leave and the situation is just causing a massive distraction.

if you hand out those types of contracts the player has to be 100% key to the club. Pogba is 28 year old player who has never learned consistency, that there is still massive questions over his best position, has been dropped at times by the last 2 mangers for form and attitude and has reputation for going missing from games. That isn’t the kind of player you give that kind of contract too, even when they are as gifted as Pogba.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looks like a small group of PSG fans aren't taking the Pogba links well.

Banners against Paul Pogba's arrival at [both] the Parc des Princes and Camp des Loges [PSG's training HQ]. The message: "Pogba, you should listen to your mother; she doesn't want you here." "Neither do we."
Note that this isn't too common from PSG fans when it comes to links. They typically make banners for players who are set to arrive (like their banners about Peter Luccin).

[1st Tweet]
Unsigned banner…nobody pictured with…it still looks like an isolated act of a very large minority. On the networks, the supporters and it is rather logical, would love to have Paul Pogba at PSG.

[2nd Tweet]
This is, to my knowledge, a first. There had already been post-arrival banners (Luccin in particular) but I have no memory of banners during rumors.

Mercurial

Quote me if you like.
Leaving on a free is like a dream come true for Raiola, he doesn't operate on altruism.