Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who was kicking up a fuss not to sign him on that?
The board.

By all reports Pogba wanted a new contract on 20k a week. Fergie and Gill thought he needed to prove himself more, and wouldn't give into his demands as the rest of the academy would start asking for similar wages, and it would set a dangerous president.

Pogba then realised he would get the money and playing time he required, and so they say the rest is history.

Yes Pogba could have applied himself in the reserves more in his last year, but I think he knew he was above that level, and felt frustrated.

People call him a money grabbing twat, but he is only on 20k a week at Juve.

Mindhunter

The board.

By all reports Pogba wanted a new contract on 20k a week. Fergie and Gill thought he needed to prove himself more, and wouldn't give into his demands as the rest of the academy would start asking for similar wages, and it would set a dangerous president.

Pogba then realised he would get the money and playing time he required, and so they say the rest is history.

Yes Pogba could have applied himself in the reserves more in his last year, but I think he knew he was above that level, and felt frustrated.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
The board.

He's on more like 40k a week, which was obviously a lot for a 19 year old.

Ironically if he'd accepted the lower offer from United he would probably be on more now than he's on at Juve, as we tend to give youngsters improved contracts once they break into the first team.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Blackett- Youngster and not a first teamer
Valencia- Not a first teamer
Fletcher- Not a first teamer
Evans- Off form after returning from injury and not an established first team player under LVG

Am I doing this right?
If you go back to the original poster, ask him why he quoted Sakho, Allen, Toure and Lucas. All of whom are not first teamers either.

Then you'll do it right.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If you go back to the original poster, ask him why he quoted Sakho, Allen, Toure and Lucas. All of whom are not first teamers either.

Then you'll do it right.
That original poster was me and I quoted Sakho, Allen, Toure and Lucas for a reason...

I dream of a team with RvP, Di Maria Falcao and Pogba. Not so keen on Blackett, Valencia, Evans and Fletcher but I'm a picky dreaming bastard.
Exactly, not when you have the likes of Sakho, Glen Johnson, Toure, Allen and Lucas lurking about
Nice attempt though, better luck next time.

Seveneric

If this thread is still getting bumped 3 years later, why the feck aren't people bitching for this one to be closed like I've seen people doing for the Welbeck thread?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If this thread is still getting bumped 3 years later, why the feck aren't people bitching for this one to be closed like I've seen people doing for the Welbeck thread?
Perhaps because people aren't referencing it in every single fecking thread!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So if people are referencing Welbeck in every single thread, the solution is for the Welbeck thread to be closed?
Stunning logic
And yet here we are, in the Pogba thread talking about Welbeck, does he need a thread?

GloryHunter07

The board.

Seeing Rafael and Park play in CM cant have helped either.

NoLogo

Seeing Rafael and Park play in CM cant have helped either.
Yeah that's the point I still don't understand. He was supposed to prove himself more but got barely any playing time in midfield despite us being in real trouble on that position. That was just really badly done by SAF. Honestly if I get promised playing time but than have to watch wingers or FBs being played in my position ahead of me I would consider leaving as well if I had a team that really wanted me.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
That original poster was me and I quoted Sakho, Allen, Toure and Lucas for a reason...

Nice attempt though, better luck next time.
Blackett and Valencia have played 100% of your prem matches thus far this season. Lets see if Blackett and Valencia aren't there on Sunday either.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Blackett and Valencia have played 100% of your prem matches thus far this season. Lets see if Blackett and Valencia aren't there on Sunday either.
You mean all 3 games whilst we've had roughly 12 players injured?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You mean all 3 games whilst we've had roughly 12 players injured?
Yes, exactly that. Or should I wait until Shaw decides to stop being a fat pig, Hummels, Varane and Kompany see sen$e and join your club in January and then make my (statistically correct) point moot?

GloryHunter07

Yeah that's the point I still don't understand. He was supposed to prove himself more but got barely any playing time in midfield despite us being in real trouble on that position. That was just really badly done by SAF. Honestly if I get promised playing time but than have to watch wingers or FBs being played in my position ahead of me I would consider leaving as well if I had a team that really wanted me.
I guess Fergie wanted to make a stand against agent/player power.

NoLogo

I guess Fergie wanted to make a stand against agent/player power.
Yeah probably. Especially after it was rumored that Raiola wanted the same amount of money as a signing bonus that the club offered the player for the next 5 years which is pretty outrages but not really surprising if Raiola is involved. In the end though it will cost us even more to bring in a player that is as good as he is going to be so one has to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to throw money at Raiola and make certain Pogba signs the contract extension.

I hate the whole agent business as much as most football fans but it's a part that everyone in football has to deal with these days and if we are the only ones who are making "a stand" against their methods we will be left behind. If anything at least the top clubs will need to reach an agreement over what shit they are going to take from agents and when it's enough. On our own we were always going to lose out in this battle.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes, exactly that. Or should I wait until Shaw decides to stop being a fat pig, Hummels, Varane and Kompany see sen$e and join your club in January and then make my (statistically correct) point moot?
There's a difference between making wumming and making stupid posts. You've yet to grasp it.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
This will be said for the next 15 years I imagine but what on Earth was Fergie thinking...?

Ringo 07

I didn't see him tonight but he's a joy to watch. I noticed Vidal wasn't in Juve's line up so perhaps we dodged an injury bullet there. I think once we get Strootman then we'll finally have a box to box central midfielder that is up there with the best to help us all forget about Pogba. Pogba would be on 100,000 Euros a week already here if he had stayed here. At Juve he is on 30,000 Euro a week so from a financial perspective he is probably wondering if he did in fact make the right choice. You'd have to wonder if Scholsey coming back from retirement that time did not help Pogbas progress at all

Nedved

I didn't see him tonight but he's a joy to watch. I noticed Vidal wasn't in Juve's line up so perhaps we dodged an injury bullet there. I think once we get Strootman then we'll finally have a box to box central midfielder that is up there with the best to help us all forget about Pogba. Pogba would be on 100,000 Euros a week already here if he had stayed here. At Juve he is on 30,000 Euro a week so from a financial perspective he is probably wondering if he did in fact make the right choice. You'd have to wonder if Scholsey coming back from retirement that time did not help Pogbas progress at all
@Rowem, what do you say about this?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@Rowem, what do you say about this?
The way I see it is that it's Juve that have allowed him the game time to turn into that €100,000 a week footballer. The truth is that had he stayed here his development might have stagnated. Seems strange to say that about a United youth prospect but clearly Pogba felt that he didn't have Fergie's faith, otherwise he would have stayed as we offered him more cash.

Devil may care

I only saw the first half tonight but he had clearly been told to work down the left side with Evra and they linked up pretty well on a few occasions, Pogba also showed good discipline in tracking back and had a couple of decent strikes on goal.

MJJ

According to reports he himself is refusing to open up contract talks, I think he has said that scholes coming back showed what faith SAF had in him and further made his mind up.

We handled his situation just like tevez, refusing to offer a contract and dicking them around until they have made up their minds to leave and then offering them a contract.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We can still rewrite this wrong. I wonder what LVG thinks of him. Zidane's influence could prove key though for Madrid's chances of signing him. 60m(the price I've heard) to secure a potential 10+ years midfield kingpin is good value. Forget Strootman,forget Ronaldo, GET POGBA!

FromTheBench

Ferguson was desperate to keep Pogba – Evra

Juventus left-back Patrice Evra says that Sir Alex Ferguson was powerless to prevent Paul Pogba from leaving Manchester United and was fully aware of the midfielder’s precocious ability, Soccernet reports.

Evra, 33, followed in Pogba’s footsteps by joining the Bianconeri from United earlier this summer and hopes that he can enjoy similar success at the Italian champions after eight successful years at Old Trafford.

The France international says he is delighted to have teamed up with Pogba once again and has revealed his admiration for Ferguson, under whom he won five Premier League titles and the Champions League.

“’La Pioche’ (Pogba) is like a son to me,” Evra told La Repubblica. “Sir Alex Ferguson sent me to his house to convince him to stay (at Manchester United) – he wept, he did not sleep, because he knew that he could become better than Vieira, but he had decided.

“Ferguson knew that Pogba would become very strong, but also that he could not force the issue.

“Ferguson was at the heart of everything, he made sure that United was a family with a culture, a philosophy – we won for this, not because we were the most talented.

“I also say this of the Glazers – it takes a family, one that respects the history of the club, who feels the pressure of the past.

“I have suffered a lot for David Moyes, a great person, but even with Ryan Giggs (as caretaker at the end of last season) things were different.”

http://www.punchng.com/sports/ferguson-was-desperate-to-keep-pogba-evra/

Empire

Ferguson was desperate to keep Pogba – Evra

Juventus left-back Patrice Evra says that Sir Alex Ferguson was powerless to prevent Paul Pogba from leaving Manchester United and was fully aware of the midfielder’s precocious ability, Soccernet reports.

Evra, 33, followed in Pogba’s footsteps by joining the Bianconeri from United earlier this summer and hopes that he can enjoy similar success at the Italian champions after eight successful years at Old Trafford.

The France international says he is delighted to have teamed up with Pogba once again and has revealed his admiration for Ferguson, under whom he won five Premier League titles and the Champions League.

“’La Pioche’ (Pogba) is like a son to me,” Evra told La Repubblica. “Sir Alex Ferguson sent me to his house to convince him to stay (at Manchester United) – he wept, he did not sleep, because he knew that he could become better than Vieira, but he had decided.

“Ferguson knew that Pogba would become very strong, but also that he could not force the issue.

“Ferguson was at the heart of everything, he made sure that United was a family with a culture, a philosophy – we won for this, not because we were the most talented.

“I also say this of the Glazers – it takes a family, one that respects the history of the club, who feels the pressure of the past.

“I have suffered a lot for David Moyes, a great person, but even with Ryan Giggs (as caretaker at the end of last season) things were different.”

http://www.punchng.com/sports/ferguson-was-desperate-to-keep-pogba-evra/
What was his reason for leaving again?

Sorry for asking, genuine question. He said it wasn't the money and if Ferguson rated him so highly obviously he was going to be an important part of the club's future, I'm not sure why he would want to leave?

Walters_19_MuFc

What was his reason for leaving again?

Sorry for asking, genuine question. He said it wasn't the money and if Ferguson rated him so highly obviously he was going to be an important part of the club's future, I'm not sure why he would want to leave?
Probably because he didn't get games with the first team when he was making the U21's look too easy.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Can't blame him for wanting to leave, from the things i've seen, he's ready from the first day he set his foot in Juve, so i don't think not being ready for first team is an excuse.

And SAF brought a 38 years old Scholes from retiring, if I'm not a fans of United that'll surely be the last straw. It's not like he's moving away to a midtable team, Juve was by no mean a lesser team than us.

So yeah, I'd put this one on SAF

XdanielredX

Makes you wonder why if he was so desperate for him to stay he didn't give him a bit more game time or have a heart to heart letting him know just how much he wanted to keep him and that he would be getting a lot of game time.

Loublaze

ATLien
When Park and Rafael are being played ahead of you in midfield, you know the manager doesn't have faith in you. Scholes coming out of retirement was something else too, gave him a lot to think about. Pogba wasn't just another youth prospect, he was an elite young player who was ready to step in and Juventus gave him that platform.

SirAF

Ageist
When Park and Rafael are being played ahead of you in midfield, you know the manager doesn't have faith in you. Scholes coming out of retirement was something else too, gave him a lot to think about. Pogba wasn't just another youth prospect, he was an elite young player who was ready to step in and Juventus gave him that platform.
I know this has been discussed to death, but I really agree with this.

jeff_goldblum

I think ultimately the reason he didn't get the chances was a bit of stubbornness from Fergie. That season Pogba slacked off a considerable amount in the under-21s, despite clearly having the talent to tear that league apart, and Fergie was never the type to reward for that kind of attitude. Obviously in highsight it has cost us considerably, but I understand why it was done at the time and I think most people on the caf would have done the same.

To see how an elite youth player should be behaving look at Januzaj, we've signed some real quality in attacking positions for the first team but he's responded to that by scoring 4 goals in 2 games this month for the under-21s. Whilst Pogba would have been great, I'd rather have someone who is willing to fight for a place by proving themselves at a lower level than someone who thinks they're owed a chance regardless of how they perform in the reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.